Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post ROTK - Favorite Scenes!
on: December 16, 2003 09:35
Just what the title says! What were your favorite scenes of ROTK?

This thread will obviously contain spoilers if you haven't seen ROTK, so beware. From the minute ROTK is released, spoilers in this forum are ok, so beware!

I myself have not seen it....YET! But, I'm making all the ROTK threads in advance!
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
Post RE: ROTK - Favorite Scenes!
on: December 17, 2003 07:18
Hey, I'm first ok ....

- Grey Havens - the best bit of the whole entire film

- any scene with Viggo looking dirty and sweaty .... oops, I guess this should go on artistic ability, shouldn't it

- ok ..... Aragorn receiving Andúril, Aragorn commanding his troops, Aragorn in Rohan, Aragorn riding .... you get the idea

- Theoden riding up and down the lines of the Rohirrim before Pelennor Fields - wow!!

- Denethor trying to burn him and Faramir. Faramir at Osgiliath.

- GROND! How cool was Grond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skye
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 07:19
One scene that I really liked was when Pippen sings Denethor a song in Minas Tirith. Not only does he have a good voice, but I LOVED what PJ did by piecing together shots of Faramir and his knights riding, the orcs in Osgiliath, and Denethor eating. Did you notice the red juice dripping down his chin like blood, and Pippen's expression when he finished singing?
_FrodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 07:36
It was all so wonderful.

My absolute FAVORITE is during Aragorn's coronation and everyone bows to the hobbits. I absolutely LOVED that part.

The Grey Havens are also fantastic...the tears were rolling when Frodo said goodbye...:cry:

I loved it all...
eowadia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 08:20
I loved the movie the whole time

- loved the scene when Frodo ses Gandalf back in his bed and when the fellowship comes into the room!!
- loved the Grey havens (cried whole the time)
- when aragorn says that they(hobbits) don't have to bow for anybody!!
- loved the scene when sam carries frodo up the mountain
- loved the scene when arwen comes from behind the bandal
- loved the speech of theoden

So I think I loved every part of it. Cried the last hour :cry::cry:

Was afraid of Shelob but I'm afriad of spiders so that it natural
The begin scene was very creepy. How Smeagel turned into Gollum!!!! Very creepy
I also loved the way the did the death-people. The green thing was very cool done. Not a stupid green cloud but you could really see bodies in it. Very cool.
Maybe Legolas oliphaunt thing was over the top but the way Gimli reacts is funny. "That counts still for one" HIHIHIHI

So I liked it a lot!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love::heart:
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 09:55
I loved the Grey Havens seen, it was very beautiful. Another favorite was when everyone bowed to down to the hobbits, it sent chills down my back. Theoden and his rally and I loved his death scene, it was so sad and well-done with Eowyn. Sam and Frodo on Mt Doom. Path of the Dead was awesome. Aragorn being kinged. I just thought it was a really beautiful movie.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 10:09
Another favorite was when everyone bowed to down to the hobbits, it sent chills down my back.

ooooh, I'd forgotten that bit! It was *wonderful* - especially the look on Frodo's face ... the realisation that he had "saved the world", that he had caused the freedom of these people - and that they knew it and were thanking him for it.
iaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 01:32
I love the 2 or 3 songs in the movie,
I love when the orcs is cheering
I love when the Rohirrim is cheering
I LOVE!!! that I got to hear a real good nazgul scream,
I love all the speeches

I love the movie :cry:
ElvenWytch
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 01:41
I loved the whole thing, but two of my favorite scenes were were the scene when Pippin was singing. It was so incredibly sad and beautiful. It said alot about Faramir and Denethor's relationship.
My other favorite was when Eowyn killed the Witch King. Excellent, Bernard Hill was pitch perfect and Miranda Otto was stunning. It was my favorite part of the books and it transfered beautifully to the screen. :love:
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:36
So many.

The opening Smeagol becoming Gollum sequence.

Pippin's song, the whole sequence, loved his voice.

Sam holding Frodo in his arms on Mount Doom.

Eowyn and the Witch King.

Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas arriving with the army of the dead.

Grond.

Legolas and the Mumakil - another cool Leggy moment.

The lighting of the Beacons - great inclusion.

Arwen's vision of her son.

Sam fighting Shelob.

Everyone bowing to the hobbits.

The Grey Havens.

as I said, so many.
iaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:40
what is the song tha pipping sings name ? does someone know?
Veaglarwen
Tech Admin & Co-Themer
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:48
My favorite...Its soo hard to choose. Definatly the scene with Arwen and her son and Aragorn. Also, I very much liked the arrival of Aragorn and the Dead. That just rocked my socks. Right Off! I was completely amazed by Pippin. He did a great job of portraying the regret for speaking so hastily, yet really meaning what he said (to Denethor that is). His little armour was SO adorable.

The scene where Eowyn kills the Witch King. "I am no man!" That just ... girl power all the way man!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:57
- the arrival of the eagles
- the Dead sweeping off the boat
- Eowyn killing Wiki
- Sam kicking Shelob's behind
- Frodo and Sam huddling on the little rock as the world falls apart around them
- Frodo's beatific smile as he gazed at his friends from the boat at the Grey Havens

Oh, man, there's so many more. Not to say I didn't have my problems with certain parts of the film, but overall, I was very pleased with it
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 03:20
for some reason the words to Pippin's song aren't on the ROTK soundtrack details but I think it goes:

Home is behind
the world ahead
There are many paths to tread
through shadow
to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
Hope shall fade
All shall fade

It is quite a beautiful bit of poetry and I think Billy may have written it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please and give all proper credit where it is most deservedly due.

[Edited on 19/12/2003 by Roheryn]
Cate
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 03:53
My fave scenes are as follows:

- When Sam gets the courage to propose to Rosie, and then the switch to their wedding. I loved the other hobbits' reaction too, because it was a "grown up" thing for one of them to do. And because it was Sam, and we all know how he felt about Rosie, it was just sooo sweet! If he had never been on the quest, he wouldn't have had as much courage as he did to do it.

- The Gray Havens, so moving! Even though it was silent and slow moving, it impacted me greatly. It was sad seeing the hobbits say goodbye to Frodo (esp. Frodo saying goodbye to Sam) and the change in Frodo. I also loved seeing Bilbo, and that he didn't know anything about what had happened to his ring.

- When Sam says his little speech to Frodo finishing with, "...but I can carry you!" It was a lovely lead up and the climax to it was so touching, so heart renching. The two of them were both so tired, and Sam managed to muster up some strength to carry his best friend to finish their quest.

- Pippin's song, it had a lovely sound and I could feel his words (along with what we could see on the screen) impacting me. Lovely, really lovely.

- Aragorn being made King, that ENTIRE scene! It was beautiful. I loved seeing Eowyn and Faramir together. I loved seeing Aragorn and Arwen being able to show each other their love and not care what anyone else thought. But the BEST part of the scene was, of course, when everyone bowed to the young hobbits. It really explains Galadriel's quote, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future," which is what they all did.

- Eowyn and the Witch-King. This was the part I had been looking forward to the most, and I loved it. I cannot put it into words - talk about girlpower! Seeing it on screen had a real impact on me, and seeing Eowyn with Theoden at the end brought tears to my eyes.

They aren't in any particular order, but these were my fave parts in the film Great film, the best.
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 04:23
-The Rohirrim riding down to fight at Pelennor with Theoden. I LOVED that.

-Minas Morgul. My favorite thing in Tolkien's works. My jaw went wide open in amazement when Minas Morgul "lit up"

-Sammath Naur. Excellent. I loved the way how Frodo said "I'm here, Sam." It showed that he was fully done for by the Ring. And Gollum dying was the best death in cinematic history.

And the whole shtinkin' thing was great!
elven_angel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 05:54
-The prologue with Smeagol and Deagol
-The lighting of the beacons
-The Battle of the Pellanor Fields and the Siege of Minas Tireth.
-Minas Morgul
-Eowyn killing the Witch King, that was one of my favorite scenes from the book. I think it was done very well.
-Pippin's song. Billy Boyd has a beautiful voice.
-Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom. That scene brought tears to my eyes.
-Sammath Naur
-Legolas' stunt:love:
-The Grey Havens. When Frodo said goodbye made me cry.:cry:
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 05:54
Who is behind the world ahead
There are many paths to tread
through shadow
to the edge of night
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
Hope shall fade
All shall fade

It is quite a beautiful bit of poetry and I think Billy may have written it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please and give all proper credit where it is most deservedly due.

It goes like this:
Home is behind, The world ahead.
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows, To the edge of night
Mist and shadow, Cloud and Shade
All shall fade! All shall fade!

Billy boyd didn't write it. Tolkein did. Its in the Fellowship of the Ring...and its actually much longer than that. (Pippin does sing it) But compliments on how close you were.

My favorite parts are:

-When Merry gets all dressed up in the Rohan armor and he starts slashing his sword around in front of Eowyn and Eomer says to Eowyn "You shouldn't encourage him"

-All the Pippin parts in Minas Tirith

-The battle of the Pellanor fields

-When Pippin sings his song to Denethor

-When Aragorn is crowned and he starts singing

-When everyone bows to the hobbits (I loved each of there expressions)

-When Arwen sees her son

Agh theres SO MUCH but I'm forgetting them! Oh well...
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 06:38
Oh my... here I go:

~The beacon lighting
~Gandalf whacking Denethor with his staff! That was hilalrious!
~Gondor bowing to all the Hobbits
~Arwen being reunited with Aragorn
~Eowyn and the Witch King, of course! "I am no man!" HA! How great!
~The oliphant/Legolas thing. At first, I thought it was kind of corny, but then I got to thinking about it... and it's really cool! "That still only counts as one!" :love:
~Sammath Naur! Nuff said!
~The scene in the Green Dragon when Sam gets up and strides over to Rosie! The looks on all the other Hobbits' faces were priceless!
~Sam talking to Frodo about the Shire. That was probably my favorite scene in the whole movie! Especially the whole "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" That was incredible!
~Pippin singing his song to Denethor... with the exception of the tomato, LoL
~The ENTIRE Grey Havens sequence! There was snot flying during that scene, I'm tellin ya! It was wonderful!
~Pippin and Merry seperating and reuniting

I'll be back... I promise
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 08:25
Wow, I just came back from the theater. It was so good. What I liked best was the resolve that I felt after seeing it. I cried, and I laughed and I felt good when it was all over. What a beautiful beautiful story.

I was really excited about the opeing scenes. I thought for so long "how are they going to start this movie?" and I kept trying to think of scenarios they might use and guess at them. I had been really impressed with the beginning of Two Towers and wondered if they could outdo it. This Smeagol thing was a total surprise and even tho it was so tragic I was delighted to see them exercise such character development of Gollum...much needed I believe for the audience to allow him his fate.

I was thrilled with the scene of Arwen foreseeing her son on her way to Greys Harbor. What a touching scene. I also had wondered how they would deal with her, at what point she would turn back and why. What better reason than for a child. This was beautifullly done...so passionate and what a gorgeous little boy! Brought tears to my eyes.

I agree about Pippin's singing and the drama of those poor soldiers being sent to their doom. and Denethor ravegly eating. How dramatic that was.

The battle scenes were all very exciting and well done. I loved the long shots of the horsemen charging.

Dear Dear Sam and Frodo on Mount Doom. How intense.

And one thing I really loved was the way the battle was turning as Frodo struggled with himself and refused to relinquish the Ring and then his fight with Gollum...how Gandalf and Legolas and Aragorn were beginning to sense that something was wrong and that they may be losing the battle after all...Very intense. They were all experiencing the same struggle both inside and out.

Gosh, I agree with everything mentioned. I love this movie and can't wait to see it again...tomorrow. It is a wonderful conclusion and I don't care to find anything wrong with it.

I also loved seeing the Shire again.

diendrial
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 08:31
Oh...and did I mention that kiss?

I'm not usually impressed with movie kisses, but that long awaited Aragorn kiss for his beloved was out of this world!

Ilrhenir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 06:22
Oh so many good scenes! I'll narrow it down to my top three:

- Pippin's song. I was blow away. I came home immediatly after, downloaded it, got the lyrics and learned it. Billy Boyd has such an incredible voice!!! And the effect with the horsemen and all-yes! It was wonderful.

-When Sam thinks Frodo is dead and he says 'Don't go where I can't follow'. I cried every tear out of my body.

-Where Arwen sees her son. If you see my name- yes, there is a connection.

Such a good movie! I am at a loss for words. Jackson is my hero.
Sassafras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 11:30
I've seen it twice now. So many great scenes. Here are my favorites:

Legolas taking on the Mumakil. Very cool.

Pippin singing. Great voice. Very moving.

Pretty much all of Sam's scenes. Samwise the Brave!

Eowyn and the Witch King.

Eowyn slicing the legs of a Mumakil.

When the Rohirrim charge the enemy outside of Minas Tirith. I especially liked when they collided and then the view of them charging through the enemy. I got a little choked up during that scene for some reason.

The catapults of Minas Tirith firing at the enemy. That just looked so cool to me.

The Eagles fighting the Fell Beasts. Loved it!

Sam hitting Gollum in the head with a rock. Nailed 'im! *lol*

Sam carrying Frodo. And also when he was holding him on Mount Doom and talking to him about the Shire.

Pippin and Merry fighting along-side everyone else at the Black Gate.

Legolas trying to get to Aragorn before the troll can kill him. His concern for and loyalty to Aragorn was moving.

The wide views of the Orc army at Minas Tirith. Massive!

The Mumakil marching toward Minas Tirith. Wow! Those things were huge.

Gandalf fighting. Cool.

Gandalf hitting Denethor with his staff.

Gandalf telling Pippin that it's best if he doesn't say anything at all. *lol*

Everyone bowing to the Hobbits.

Sam and Rosie's wedding.

The Grey Havens.

The Army of the Dead rushing ashore, onto the battlefield and up the levels of Minas Tirith.

The Nazgul picking up people and dropping them from a great height above Minas Tirith. I wasn't glad they died. It's just the shot was so high and scary. (For someone afraid of heights.) It kind of made my stomach drop.

The short silence before the burst of towering light and booming sound that accompanied it at Minas Morgul. That was cool. And then the Witch King on his Fell Beast briefly perching atop one of Minas Morgul's spires and wrapping one of its wings around it. I don't know why that was cool to me, but it was.

The Nazgul screaching and people covering their ears.

Aragorn and Arwen reuniting.

The scene with Arwen and Elrond when she drops her book. That made me cry.

Arwen seeing her son.

The reforging of Narsil.

And more I'm sure.
bootsgrandma
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 04:55
I loved everything about the movie EXCEPT the raw fish. YUK!!!

I wish that the actual coronation of Aragorn had been more like the book with Faramir resigning his stewardship and being proclaimed Prince of Icthilien by Aragorn. Aragorn becoming king is what the title was about after all.

The Theoden death scene was brillliant. Eowyn and Wiki perfect.

I cheered as the Rohirrim charged!

Sooo many scenes----but still not enough movie. Come on ROTK EE!!!!!!
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 07:59
The battle of Pellanor was quite possibly the most amazing action sequence ever commited to film. Usually I don't go for fighting, blood, gore, etc. etc, but that entire scene was absolutely perfect. I am a huge Rohirrim fangirl, and Theoden riding down the ranks just sent shivers down my spine. So. Freaking. Awesome.

And, of course, any and all hobbit moments are great. Yo ho, yo ho, a hobbit's life for me! I especially love the look on Merry's face as Sam gets up to talk to Rosie.

Gimli in general was great as well. He really doesn't have much to say in FotR, and in TTT he is more or less just comic relief, but I think the writers really found their place with his character in this film. He is one of my favourite characters from the books, and that really comes across in this movie.
Evenstar01
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 09:13
I positively LOVE the whole of the last hour!!! I cried sooo hard! :cry::cry:

I just love when Frodo's in bed and everyone's around him and he sees Sam across the room!- It's so sad!:cry:

I also love the whole of Aragorn's coranation, but who doesn't, right? :heart:
mallow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 10:20
I loved the whole film, and in particular all the things that every1 has already said.
One thing i dotn think anyone has mentioned yet sorry if u hav.
When arwens necklace (i dunno if it has a name) breaks in Aragorns dream, it is so symbolic of what arwen is doing, giving up her immortality it was heart wrenching but amazing at the same time.
I've only seen it once i'm seeing it again on sunday yay.
ooo i also loved the shot from the stair down to cirith ungol where its all green and misty looking eeriely beautiful dont u think.
I can't think of any more that people havn't already said, i might come back when i've seen it again.
Don't u think legolass looked silly in his tiara at aragorns wedding, sorry i had to put that in, prepares to be attacked by orlando fans.

[Edited on 12/20/2003 by Trignifty]
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 01:36
Don't u think legolass looked silly in his tiara at aragorns wedding, sorry i had to put that in, prepares to be attacked by orlando fans.
Don't worry, I will not attack you. However, I do not agree with you about Legolas looking silly, for he is Elvish, the fair folk. I found him merely androgyn in that scene, neither male nor femaile and I loved to see him só very beautiful. But maybe it is because I like to watch androgyn men/boys. Still can enjoy Aragorn as tough Ranger, though.
Well, I think that, when Elfs do not fight to protect whatever needed, they can be really fair. And at festivals and special occasions, everyone wants to be dressed up in the most beautiful clothes and jewelry and so on? So, to stick to the topic, no: Legolas was just clothed for a special occasion.

[Edited on 12/20/2003 by Trignifty]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 09:28
God, I loved every second of it. If I had to pick my 5 favorite moments, it would be:

- the Rohirrim's arrival on the Pelennor, with as absolute winner (and one of the most chilling moments of the entire movie) Merry and Éowyn crying 'Death!' alongside all those Rohirrim - how Tolkien can you get? [cried my eyes out too]
- 'For Frodo': Aragorn running to the Black Gates, immediately followed by Merry and Pippin - I cried so hard there, that was amazingly beautiful
- Pippin singing to Denethor while Faramir rides towards his death - cinematographically, that was an amazing moment, and the look on Pippin's face when starts crying is just... I cried a lot during this movie
- Merry running after Pippin - needs no comment
- Mount Doom: everything about it - it was amazing

the whole movie was amazing, but what I loved most was how Tolkien it was - contrary to the other two movies there were no changes I hated, no scenes I really would have preferred to be left out or changed for others... every second was... breathtaking

I know I'm very inarticulate, but I just can't find the words to describe it
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 12:34
1)The coronation, there are two parts I loved.
-When Aragorn kisses Arwen! It was so unexpected!
-When they show a glimpse of Faramir and Eowyn smiling
at each other. They look really cute together.

2)When Frodo leaves for Valinor. He looks very cute

3)When Legolas climbs up the Oliphaunt!!! Hehe that was so
cool. And when Eomer spears the one Oliphaunt, it like
caused a chain reaction.
LOTR
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 01:40
-When Theoden rallies his men when the oliphants start to charge. You can see just briefly on his face that this will be thier doom but he rallies them men and gets them in thier lines he wont allow them to fold.

-When everyone bows to the Hobbits even though it is a bit Mulan like no?

-The lighting of the Becons

-When Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas jump off the ship and the orcs are thinkg they are going to kill them easily and then boom here come the dead.

-Call my sappy if you will but when Sam comes home and his daughter runs to meet him (Is Austins daughter the one that runs to meet him or the baby?)
Bookfaramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 04:45
My three most favorite scenes:

1. Théoden's speech and the following charge of the Rohirrim. It was the BEST SCENE WHICH I EVER SAW IN A MOVIE! :cry:

2. Éowyn's fight against the Witchking. Very close to the book! Éowyn is my heroine!:love:

3. The bowing to the Hobbits. I cried so much!:cry:

There are other favorite scenes too: The lighting of the beacons, Pippin's song during Faramir's suicidal attack, the Rohirrim leaving Dunharrow, the whole battle of the Pelennor Fields and many, many more...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 05:19
When Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas jump off the ship and the orcs are thinkg they are going to kill them easily and then boom here come the dead.

LOL when I went to see the first time someone yelled "Stupid Orcses, should have read the book!" and you could tell who could because they laughed
Mithrellas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 06:36
My favorite scenes:

The lighting of the beacons. (Took my breath away!)

Arwen's vision of the future. (Got a little teary eyed)

Gandalf telling Pippin that death isn't so bad. (Cried my eyes out and don't know why!)

The Charge of the Rohirrim. (That was sooo awesome!)

Pippins song and Faramir's charge.

The finale battle and when Aragorn says "For Frodo!"

When Sam carries Frodo up the mountain and the destruction of the Ring. (I was crying so hard I could hardly see)

The reunion of the Fellowship, Aragorn kissing Arwen, and when everyone bows to the hobbits.

The Grey Havens. (I was so happy and so sad at the same time I thought I would burst.....)

The whole movie is great but those are the BEST scenes ever!

Pherrosien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 01:28
All of the scenes, basically! They were all very moving. Some of the better ones were:
~Eowyn taking Pippin and riding into battle. (not to mention fighting the Witch King of Angmar)
~All the Sam and Frodo scenes (Sam saving him in Cirith Ungol, Sam carrying Frodo up to Mt Doom)
~Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli arriving in battle with the dead
~Aragorn marrying Arwen and reclaiming his throne
~The eagles attacking the Nazgul at the Black Gate
~Frodo finishing the book
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email