Author Topic:
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Post RE: Quenya News and Resources
on: October 24, 2005 07:10
The Quenya Grammar project is finished!

http://home.unilang.org/main/wiki2/index.php/Quenya

Disclaimer: it is my personal work, it is not written by Tolkien, it is not meant to be authorative.
So feel free to give any comments that might enhance it, but please abstain if you think that only your own version/opinion of Quenya is holy.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2005 09:51
I'm really sorry for this but the link does not work at it says this:
We are sorry, but the Wiki has been attacked by spammers and some of the data has been corrupted. We are working on bringing the wiki back online as soon as possible.

The UniLang Administration, November 6

Any improvements in brining back the data?

Thanks,
Ilandir
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 10:25
The grammar pages are again available

There is also a second link to the grammar: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Quenya

[Edited on 27/11/2005 by dirk_math]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 05:41
Great! Thanks dirk_math! And once again well done.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 07:47
There is a new article on Ardalambion: A Neo-Quenya translation of the Gospel of Matthew

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/
sukumei
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 03:19
search up tengsrcibe on google it really helps with the tengwar translations (like the inscription on the One Ring)
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 07:37
search up tengsrcibe on google it really helps with the tengwar translations (like the inscription on the One Ring)

I suppose one could always learn the tengwar as well, especially when machine transliterations aren't always accurate. If anybody's interested, there are some excellent resources for learning it out there on the net.
IthildielNoldoran
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 08:11
Hm...knowing both Quenya and Sindarin-as well as tengwar-I would say that online translators still need work!*sigh*They more often than not don't work perfectly,do they?
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 06:12
I just came across a site that might be of interest especially to advanced students, and if you're interested in reading Quenya translations by others and 'publishing' your own. There are also discussion forums. The site is called 'Aglardh - A Place for Discussing Tolkenian Languages'.

http://middangeard.org.uk/aglardh/

Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 13, 2007 11:08
The Quenya wordlists on Ardalambion have recently been updated (July 30th, 2007).

Also, for those interested in both languages, there's now an English-Sindarin wordlist.

http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/

(both wordlists can be found under 'Other Resources')
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 29, 2008 11:00
The Quenya wordlists on Ardalambion have been updated again (Dec 200
Malinornë
Send Message
Post Re: <b>Quenya News and Resources</b>
on: May 04, 2012 01:58
New dictionary

Repost of message from Naruvir:

-------------------------
Hi, fellow elf-friends!
I would like to spend a few moments and talk about Parf Edhellen (www.elfdict.com), a new type of dictionary for Tolkien's wealth of languages. Presently, most of us use multiple dictionaries, usually in the form of RTF and PDF, as our primary source of glossaries. As most of you probably already know, this scattered way of keeping records makes it very inefficient and arduous to find the words and references relevant to us, especially when we're working on translating a text or poem.

Parf Edhellen is a project that I've been working on for the last year, and its goal is to solve this problem. I want to focus on my poems and my studies of the languages' linguistics, and think less about the process itself. I want to compare languages and expressions, and assign keywords to similar expressions and search swiftly through all the words that Tolkien invented through his lifetime.

The ideal solution would be a consolidated dictionary, and this is exactly what Parf Edhellen is! Using complicated prediction algorithms, regular expressions and parsing techniques, I've created a searchable database of the largest, most renowned dictionaries out there, and it's all available to you for free! There are a wealth of words in Sindarin and Quenya, and a few in other languages such as Quendya, Nandorin, Telerin and Black Speech, and they are all assigned a theme (such as "love",) which makes it easy to compare the different languages to one another.

Another feature is the ability to log on and contribute with words and compounds of your own, with the expectation that you fully document your reasoning and provide sources for your claims.

All this, and much more, is available today under public beta, and I encourage you to have a look around and see how Parf Edhellen can hopefully help you in your every day study and practice of the languages of Middle Earth and beyond.

Address:
http://www.elfdict.com

Languages:
Sindarin, Noldorin, Quen(d)ya, Telerin, Nandorin, Black Speech

I hope that it shall prove complementary to the material available on this lovely site!
------------------------------
Ninaeldir
Council Member
Send Message
im a noob in the art of elven speech so any help would be much appreciated thanks
Vilyanon
Council Member
Send Message
Maybe the best thing to do would be to go to Languages of Middle Earth in the left column near the top of the page. Then go to the Language Workbook selection. This puts you on a page where you can choose either Quenya or Sindarin courses. Quenya is more for ceremonial use in the LOTR books and movies, and Sindarin was more the everyday language. You can find good information on both on this site. Hope this helps.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
If you are looking for a course that is less centered on grammar but more on conversational Quenya, have a look at my blog: http://quenyaenglish.skynetblogs.be/
It is based on what a tourist to Aman (the Undying Lands) might need to know to get by.

PS: The Dutch version is already finished but in the English version only the first 42 lessons are ready (they're being translated for free by a professional translator, so I cannot hurry her ).

[Edited on 07/08/2014 by dirk_math]
owlhunter21
Council Member
Send Message
The exercises in the workbook are not working for me please help.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email