Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Arwen- why her part worked...
on: August 18, 2004 09:36
Yes! Eowyn didn't know about Arwen when she started to fall for Aragorn. So its not her fault really. She's a really great character and really is just looking for love and respect. She just doesn't get it from the person she expects!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 02:21
Before this turns into another "Arwen vs Eowyn" thread... I think all the Arwen-bashing is really overdone. She is not really that much in all 3 the movies. And when she is, it is mostly for an explanation (the flashbacks to scenes which are denoted in the appendix) or to dramatize the movie a little. But hey, when people think that there might be a "love triangle", I guess Eowyn's part is dramatized too, so what is really the difference.

Arwen stayed more true to her book-character than Eowyn, she is not wimpy and whiny, only feminine in a very different way than Eowyn is and there is nothing wrong with that (do we ladies here all have the same character? ). And, a matter of taste of course, I think that Liv gave us a very beautiful and Elvish Arwen with a beautiful voice.
Sheledrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 07:00
I never thought that Arwen sucked. I also feel that her character was important. Also she reminds me of myself in some ways. When she feels strongly about something, she goes all the way, shes in it for the long haul. She shows Aragorn how much she loves him by doing the things that she has done. Shes encouraging, caring and strongwilled.

Arwen (played by Liv Tyler) and her role in the Lord of the Rings trilogy has been discussed over and over again over the last couple of years.

I've heard complaints against the addition of the character ranging from stealing other characters roles (yes yes we all know that Glorfindel was the one who rescued Frodo in the books) to taking up screen time (and lets face it there were alot of Arwen/Aragorn romance scenes)

There were some rather large fears for the Return of the King movie after screen captures revealed that it was intended for her to be at Helms Deep.

However, despite all that i believe at the end of the films her role and the amount of screen time she had actually worked well.

I've known people who have read the books for the first time and been suprised about Arwen and Aragorns marriage- kind of "oh where did she come from" and that was with Tolkiens hints.

Imagine in the film if this elf had just turned up to marry Aragorn... how bizzare would that have been?

From the popularity of Legolas' character its obvious that the elves are interesting characters to the movie viewing public. Without extra screen time for the elves the films certainly wouldnt have thier fan girl following (now i know some of you think thats a bad bad thing, but hey some fangirls read the books too..eventaully)

Aragorns character becomes easier to understand as he has a motivation- hes obviously not driven by power in the films so he needs to be driven by something else....his love for Arwen takes that place.

All the characters get thier happy endings, and i was incredibly pleased to see Aragorn and Arwen happily reunite, yes tying her "lifeforce" to the fate of the ring was a bit much, but none of that seemed to matter in the end- im glad she was in the film and glad she had the screen time she did... suddenly all her scenes made some kind of sense in that final one.

opinions? have you changed your mind about Arwen after this third film? or do you still think she sucks..
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2007 10:02
Her part worked because she was Aragorn's muse.
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2007 12:11
i feel that people dont like arwen very much,but there wernt really that many romantic scences!!!anyway they weerer all so beautiful and real!!!!!!!arwen isnt just a beautiful elf who sits in rivendell pining for her love!!!!
"i choose a mortal life"so brave and caring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sheledrial well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![true true true]:love:
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2009 01:02
Before this turns into another "Arwen vs Eowyn" thread... I think all the Arwen-bashing is really overdone. She is not really that much in all 3 the movies. And when she is, it is mostly for an explanation (the flashbacks to scenes which are denoted in the appendix) or to dramatize the movie a little. But hey, when people think that there might be a "love triangle", I guess Eowyn's part is dramatized too, so what is really the difference.

Arwen stayed more true to her book-character than Eowyn, she is not wimpy and whiny, only feminine in a very different way than Eowyn is and there is nothing wrong with that (do we ladies here all have the same character? ). And, a matter of taste of course, I think that Liv gave us a very beautiful and Elvish Arwen with a beautiful voice.

This could not have been better stated. I absolutely agree with you. In fact, when people say they are so annoyed at Arwen they want to punch her, I just think, she was not in the movie that much, and her expanded role helped explain alot and why Aragorn could not go with Eowyn. Get over it.

Arwen is my favorite character, as you can tell. I love the loyalty and grace she represents. Even though Aragorn swayed a bit (in the movie) under Eowyn's flirting, Arwen remained loyal to Aragorn and did not love anyone else, or even consider another choice. Although she departed with the elves from Rivendell, she came back, thus fulfilling her promise to Aragorn. Arwen's loyalty inspires me. I think her part in the movie was well done and needed. Liv Tyler played the role beautifully.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email