Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
Post Are there any film changes that you prefer?
on: January 12, 2004 08:53
So. Now we have seen all of LOTR PJ has to offer to us (except ROTK EE DVD) are there any film changes that you prefer?

Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post RE: Are there any film changes that you prefer?
on: January 12, 2004 02:56
Yes! Keeping Tom Bombadil OUT of the movies was a great change. He was my least favorite character in all of LOTR, and I think a lot of people who hadn't read the books prior to seeing FOTR really wouldn't have understood him at all. Also, in ROTK, I didn't mind that Ghan-buri-ghan was left out, since it would have just been *another* character to keep track of.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 11:51
Whlie I do like Tom Bombadil, I too have to agree that he would not have made any sense at all in the movies. He would be an absolute laughing stock, and it would mean that the rather slow hobbity beginning would have lasted even longer, just when it looked like the film was picking up the pace again.

Also, I don't think the Scouring of the Shire was such a criminal change as many people think. Okay, so I would like to have seen it because it is a lovely way to show how the hobbits have been affected by their adventures, and perhaps it wouldn't have hurt to put it in the EE since the people who will buy that are predominantly bookies, but it would have been daft in the film. All those touching, rather grand scenes in Minas Tirith are a much more fitting way to end such a spectacular film, and the Scouring would just have been too much of an anticlimax for me.
Kiss
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 02:04
I could have lived without the Smeagol/Deagol intro. Gollum was pretty much covered in TTT so PJ could have left that out and put in something that we did need to see such as the Mouth of Sauron or the House of Healing.

Everything else was great.....
Gilwen_the_Sorceress
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 05:17
Well, leaving Narsil turning into Anduril for RtoK was great.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 05:25
yup, plenty - didn't expect that from old whiny bookie Fig did ya?

1) Aragorn! God bless Viggo Mortensen
2) the meeting between Boromir and Aragorn
3) the scene in Osgiliath on the Extended Edition of TTT
4) leaving out Tom Bombadil!!!!!! I :heart: PJ
5) more Saruman!
6) Sam being left behind in ROTK
7) Arwen - she was perfect

and some other things
Frodofancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 07:46
Yes! Keeping Tom Bombadil OUT of the movies was a great change. He was my least favorite character in all of LOTR, and I think a lot of people who hadn't read the books prior to seeing FOTR really wouldn't have understood him at all.

I COMPLETELY agree! Tom and Goldberry would have bogged the film down. I also think excluding the Barrow Downs and Crickhollow was a great call on PJ's part. I find that newcomers to LotR get so bogged down reading those chapters between Frodo leaving Hobbiton and the arrival at Bree, that they just give up before getting to the best part of the story.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 01:57
I also think excluding the Barrow Downs and Crickhollow was a great call on PJ's part. I find that newcomers to LotR get so bogged down reading those chapters between Frodo leaving Hobbiton and the arrival at Bree, that they just give up before getting to the best part of the story.

I'll agree with you there too. I mean, I love the books, but now, I pretty much skip over those chapters when reading them. It doesn't advance the plot much at all - it just really gets stuck until Bree.
Isolde_Elaviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 04:33
Hi, im new here, it is my first day.
I'd just like to say that i really enjoyed the extended two towers. The added scenes were really great, they made the story flow so much better, and helped the movie be more true to tolkien, because of all the stuff they cut out. i liked merry and pippin's stuff, and everything. props to peter jackson for putting it back!
i found the chapters of the fellowship about the old forest and tom bobadil very interesting, because it was new, but i do know a lot of people who have stopped reading the books because they think that part is to long/boring.
minuial_gil_estel
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 05:56
I am glad that they cut some of the chapters with the hobbits in the beginning. I agree it would have been too long to add in all the stuff with the Barrow Downs etc. As much as I love Tom and Goldberry... I just have to agree there wasn't enough room for them.

I also love that PJ included morer plot with Arwen. It is a shame that her plot line only is dealt with in the Apendicies of the book.
Lady_Joan_of_Ingatestone
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 06:06
The change I liked? Boromir's death. It was a lot more moving than in the book. In general, Boromir's character was more compelling in the movie. (Of course, they completely BOTCHED his brother, who was divine in the book... :angry: )

Also, the decision to make the healing of Theoden more like an exorcism was interesting, and it seems to be growing on me.

Also, the way they took lines from Tolkien and gave them to different characters or different scenes seemed to work quite well. Ex.: Gandalf giving his "It is not for us" lines in Moria, not in Bag End, Treebeard's lines given to Galadriel in the Prologue, Sam's thoughts about the dead soldier given to Faramir in the EE, Aragorn's lines about Eowyn given to Wormtongue (that was kind of creepy, actually).

And it isn't really a change, but I thought the way they interpreted some of the scenes, like the last charge at Helm's Deep and the beacons in RotK, was extraordinary.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 12:58
I like pretty much all the changes, but ones that really stand out are:
1) Aragorn! God bless Viggo Mortensen

oh yeah! definately loooove movie aragorn much more than book aragorn!
2. Pippin lights the beacon! Oh so cool (especially for Pippin fans) and in general more Pippin action!:love:
3. Every extra little scene between characters...e.g. Boromir and Aragorn, Aragorn and Eowyn, Eowyn and Grima, etc. If there is one thing PJ, Fran and Phillippa really know, it's how to flesh out their characters .
4. The exclusions of Tom Bombadil, Erkenbrand, Ghan Buri Ghan, and *ducks behind wall* Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir *ducks from pies being hurled*... It would have just been too complicated, and I'm so glad that they were left out - no matter how much I liked them in the book.
4. Eomer saves the day at Helm's Deep! Hurrah!
I think those are probably the main ones, but again I was happy with all the changes...
Este
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 06:45
Well...I`m not a big fan of some movie changes,but there were some that were quite good... I agree that it was good that those few Hobbit chapters in fotr were left out (not that bad,but not that interesting, either), and Tom Bombadil too... When you read about him it`s not that bad, but if he was put on the movie screen as the exactly same character he is in the books(with all the singing and etc.)...man, I think I wouldn`t know whether to laugh or cry! Helm`s Deep is also a change I really like: the battle scenes in the movie are more interesting than the chapter in the book (it`s not really one of my favourite ones) , and (even though at first I was a bit unpleasantly surprised by their appearance) in the end I ended up quite liking the extra Elves.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 09:21
gollum, i liked the way they tried to explain gollum and frodos need to help him more in the film than in the book.

Evenstar01
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 09:36
I'm glad they extended Arwen's role. Also, the movies seemed to make the characters moe human, do ya know what I mean?
Tel_Quessir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 11:07
scouring of the shire. i seriouslly wanted to see those hobbits kick some highway ruffian butt.

also, the standard that arwen created for Aragorn. i believe that the whole army of the dead was changed too much. the best part is when everyone goes Corsairs of Umbar!! oh no! we are soo dead! .. wait!! a white tree? stars? a crown?!?! and yeah.

[Edited on 15/1/2004 by Tel_Quessir]
Kay-Alison
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 05:32
Changes I like:

Including Merry with Pippin at the Morannon
Pippin singing to Denethor
Pippin lighting the first beacon
Changing Frodo's line to: "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things."
Frodo fighting with Gollum for the Ring at Mt. Doom instead of Gollum falling in

Tel_Quessir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 06:27
i believe that pj changed many things to show more importance to certain aspects that are only briefly covered in the book. some of which, (aragorn and arwen) are found only in the appendex. the theme of the ring was brought out much more. from how hard it was for bilbo to get rid of it, to the fight at the end. although i am unsure about the fight, i think it brings out the point of how the ring corrupts at the very end, which was seen in FotR when Elrond was present the day that the strength of Men failed. again with the shire, he left out the part about Frodo saving it, but not for himself.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 04:57
4. Eomer saves the day at Helm's Deep! Hurrah!

I would have preferred lots of valient heroic Éomer being saved by Gimli and just hanging around in general and getting wet but hey, that's just me
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 01:54
The film healing of Theoden was far superior to the book version. I always found that part of the book iffy and not detailed enough. I thought making him possessed by Saruman was a stroke of genius, and his changing to his old self was one of the best effects in all of the movies. Also Theoden in the movie is more slow to trust Gandalf... I think that's good, it's more realistic. In the book he changes way too fast and trusts the Fellowship without question. Oh and Grima Wormtongue was great! Nice that the extended the battle of Helm's Deep (although it was done because they really needed it, since they saved half the TT stuff for ROTK). Also as much as I love Haldir, his death was so poetic and it showed that even the immortal can fall (although they didn't need to kill the entire Elf army!).

I also found Moria a lot more interesting and exciting in the movie. I love the stair scene, it added so much excitment. Not to mention the Troll! Again genius.

I like how the hobbits hide from the ringwraith under the tree roots instead of seperately in a field and behind a bush. The shot of them huddled together and the wraith looming over them is gorgeous.

I just loved how they addressed the whole first half of FOTR. The hobbits meeting up at Farmer Maggot's, then imeadiately going to Bree. Not that I don't love the book version, the sneaky plan, the old forest, Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Downs, etc. I cherish that part of the book. I thought the Barrow Downs were so frightening and beautiful at the same time... I love when they are all lying in white with the swords across their necks. It was like they were in some weird deminsion, the sea of fog, the rock gates that open into a nightmare. I thought it would have been cool to see on screen, but then you would need Tom and that would mean you'd need the extra scenes. I personally like Tom Bombadil and PJ sort of payed tribute to him through Treebeard, but only on the EE TT. They scene where the Merry and Pippin get eaten by the tree, Treebeard uses Tom's spell to move the roots. That's as much of him as we got though.

Thank you PJ for making Frodo and Sam's journey so exciting and wonderful. He kept all the Sam and Frodo scenes I wanted him to in ROTK (well half of it was from TT). And guess what? There's gonna be even more Sam and Frodo in the EE ROTK! Yay!

Um what else...? More Saruman is always good, too bad PJ finked out on us with ROTK. I like how Saruman was a very real character in FOTR, not just mentioned by Gandalf. Oh and I liked all the Isengard scenes with the orcs making weapons and Uru-kai, etc... very impressive. Oh and how the Ents destroyed Isengard wasn't really too detailed in the book so it was great to see on screen.

The added Boromir flashback sequence in TT EE was great! I am still angry it wasn't in the theatrical release! GRRRR :angry: ... One of my favorite parts of the book is when Faramir describes finding Boromir in the boat looking more beautiful than he ever did, and just that sadness that Faramir lost his beloved older brother! Ah I love that so much. Oh and Boromir in general was a wonderful character... partly thanks to Sean Bean. I like that PJ thought it would be good to have him teach the Hobbits how to fight, it made him protecting them even more bittersweet. And yes his death scene was better in the film.

Oh Pippin's song was beautiful as I have mentioned before. A+ for that. A lot of people didn't like Denethor's eating during that. But I thought it was a great juxtaposition of beauty and courage, and weakness and coruption. I thought it was great. I may be alone here also but I thought what they did to Denethor's character was spot on. When I read ROTK I saw him as that screwed up and mean! I just think they could have explained better why he was so screwed up.

I'll think of more for sure...

Oh I almost forgot! The best thing PJ did was THE COUNCIL OF ELROND (yes the irony!). He trimed it down perfectly and the reflection of the ring with the fire and the escalding drama! AH! So brilliant. Frodo's little voice "I will take it." And how awesomely stubborn wass Boromir (Sean Bean)? "It is a gift." The scene is awesome! It was so long in the book (not that I didn't enjoy reading it), and PJ got it down perfectly without the loooooooong drawn out discussions.

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 03:19

Frodo fighting with Gollum for the Ring at Mt. Doom instead of Gollum falling in

I always thought the idea of Gollum just tripping and falling in was kinda lame. Just a little side note: Do you guys think that Frodo wanted to push Gollum off the ledge of wanted the Ring back for himself?

Anyway, I like the absense of Tom and the Barrowdowns chapters, never really saw the point of that, haha.
Banishing Eomer only to have him come back was great! The scene were the Rohirrim are charging down the hill side with Gandalf is one of those scenes where you want to jump out of your seat and cheer (or maybe that's just me).
Making Eowyn's character more "emotional", she felt too cold to me in the books.
Having Boromir's death in FOTR and milking that part for all it was worth!
Kay-Alison
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 10:53
Just a little side note: Do you guys think that Frodo wanted to push Gollum off the ledge of wanted the Ring back for himself?

I read an interview where PJ said he told Elijah it was up to him how to play it. Elijah says Frodo definitely wanted the Ring back. That's also how I interpreted it when I saw the scene before I read that interview.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 08:37
hmmm... I do see the point of all the people that said about how much better it was w/o tom and goldberry and the twins and glorfindel... personallly, i think it woulda been a whole lot better if glori and the peredel twins (i really, really love them! and what on arda (?) is arwen doing??!! its just not where she's supposed to be, and not nearly like her..)had been included, but i can see tom and goldberry and the barrow downs really mixing up the film. Even in the beginning, except for merry and pippin's little fireworks excursion, they mostly used humor only when necessary, and the overall mood was really serious.. and here comes the wonderful, jovial, life-is-good Singing Tom... and it would really mix it up.
So, my list of good changes:
1. Pippin's song and Denethor eating... as samandfrodoforever said, it was an amazing juxtaposition, nearly the entire broad point of the epic in one little scene... plus, i love pippin's singing voice... and how they put all of it in with Faramir's charge on the Orcs in Osgiliath/Pippin singing/ Denethor eating... the duty of a man to his lord and to his self (to prove his loyalty.. or quality!)/ beautiful, hopeless, lost ("All shall fade"? sounds sorta.. i dunno, hopeless to me, even if it was a lighthearted walking song originally)/ corruption and evil
2. Tom and Goldberry and the Barrow-downs cut out. They were great images and i really liked them in the book, but... they wouldn't have fit in. Well... the Downs might have, but it would slow the movie down, and as much as i would like an extra half hour of lotr, it would bring in a whole lot more questions than answers... how on arda did they get to this lich-yard ne way, bringing up the forest, and old man willow, and tom, and just complicating a whole mess out of it.
3. As others have said before me, the healing of Theoden King was much better in the movie. It was, in the book and in my opinion, sorta like "Poof! all better!" and in the movie it made him more human, and more... i dunno exactly what! it was just a whole lot better!
4. this sorta fits... I loved the charge of the Rohirrim into Helm's Deep, but I never have figured out why the Uruk-hai can't seem to hold their spears steady. if they were strong enough to run as they did, then they would be strong enough to couch their spears, which they didn't even manage to do... idiots!:dizzy: if we were talking realistically, that woulda taken out the first two or three ranks or so, from impaling the horses and others falling over them... Something to do with Gandalf and the backlighting? and i guess pj couldn't let the commanders sit at the back where they should be and give up the glory... and nor could he kill our heroes, so i suppose unrealistic it is!... *sigh*
5. Moria!! I loved the cgi, even if thats all it was... the stairs, and the troll, and the hall with the pillars, similar to grecian construction, and the gates! that thing was sorta a kraken, and sorta just a sea monster.. it seemed to big to be in the lake there, but i still loved it! (sometimes i can escape my nitpicker reality issues, yes... huge sea monsters in lakes! lol)
6. Boromir was awesome! Sean B. did a wonderful acting job, and i'm still having trouble convincing myself he isn't dead after seeing FotR... he was a more dynamic character, and played his role in the fellowship better.

Changes i didnt like very much.
1. The removal of the Peredhel twins... i so wanted to see them, and glorious glorfindel..
2. Arwen taking over. She took her dad's and Gandalf's jobs in bringing up the flood ("If you want him, come and claim him!") and apparently stole poor glori's horse... i like her as a character, but she... took... over!! *annoyed*
3. The songs... the poor songs... they sorta let bilbo hum his walking song after leaving bag end, and wasn't Gandalf sorta hum-muttering that song? in fotr, but it wasn't very good. And "All shall Fade" was wonderful, and yes based on the walking songs, but still not the same. And Boromir's watery tomb... i loved his death song, and how mournful it was. I am aware that viggo and orli probably aren't the best singers, but... still... "The Tower of Guard shall ever northward gaze, To Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, until the end of days"
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 01:41
One day I will sit down with all the DVDs and a pen/paper to catalogue and analyse my feelings about the changes.

As it is, I can forgive Peter Jackson just about anything. He is a film maker. Tolkien was a writer, and whilst I wouldn't change any part of his book, I accept that PJ knows what he's doing when it comes to film. And the book and the film need to be viewed differently. There are parts of the book that just wouldn't have worked on screen, and probably parts of the film that wouldn't have fitted with the book. "Nobody tosses a dwarf" and Legolas and the mumak for starters!

The elves at Helms Deep - I don't care that this was a change. It was a wonderful moment, and the marching of the elves into HD was so impressive!

Frodo sending Sam away - well Frodo was far more damaged by the ring in the film than he was in the book, so this worked well.

Faramir - I was sooooooo angry with the brutalisation of his character in TTT. Tho as the film went on, he was allowed to redeem himself somewhat. Then when I saw the extended version he was redeemed completely. It worked so well for dramatic effect and made him a far more interesting character. He was my favourite book character, so full marks to PJ here. By the end of ROTK, no-one should be in any doubt that Faramir is still at heart, Tolkien's Faramir.

My biggest disappointments related to crushes!

I was disappointed that we didn't see Pippin crushed by the troll at the end, as this would have provided a nice angst-y (??) moment!

I also wish there could have been more time given to Faramir and Eowyn - this was my biggest disappointment as it seemed so relevant having made quite a thing about Eowyn's "crush" on Aragorn.

And I think Merry/Dom was short-changed in ROTK.
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 08:18
Whlie I do like Tom Bombadil, I too have to agree that he would not have made any sense at all in the movies. He would be an absolute laughing stock, and it would mean that the rather slow hobbity beginning would have lasted even longer, just when it looked like the film was picking up the pace again.

Definetily agree. Tom Bombadil would have been pointless in the movies and slowed it down.
Also...I think Boromir was much better in the movie. In book I didn't really get a picture of him, but in the movie I really understood him. Converstation between him and Aragorn was great.
I also think that it was good that there were no songs in the movies, except Pippin's which was great by the way.

But there's also a things which I didn't like. I'm not gonna start to list them, but my biggest disappointment was the way they portrayed Faramir. He's not even a same man in TTT and he was my favorite character in the book.

The next thing wasn't really a disappointment, but I would have really wanted to see the Mouth of Sauron. I have always been into villains :evil:.

[Edited on 31/1/2004 by Moonwalker]
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 10:28
Well, although there are also a lot of things I don't like in particular (after seeing the theatrical version of FOTR for the first time, my friends virtually had to restrain me and to plead with me in order to stop my cursing PJ in the name of the Dark Tower... ), I finally came to terms with the movies and learned to love especially the following aspects:

1) The characterization of Aragorn: Rereading the book, I found out that his unlimited self-confidence, his commanding "I'm Isildur's Heir and I'm going to be king"-attitude and his dramatic ranting actually got on my nerves. I like the film version much better: He knows fear and doubt - and, well, let's admit it, girls, Viggo Mortensen looks good...
2) Bigger roles for both Arwen and Eowyn: On the one hand, I'm not entirely satisfied with Liv Tyler's performance, but at least, the movie Arwen has more to do than spending all her life sitting around at home and making a banner...?!? I mean she's the descendant of Lúthien and Idril, after all; that must count for something!
And Eowyn is one of my favourite characters anyway, so it's no surprise that I found her characterization in TTT quite well-done.
3) Leaving Tom Bombadil out: I never understood what he was actually doing in LOTR. :dizzy:
4) Showing Théodred's funeral: The Rohan scenes in TTT are among the most powerful ones in the whole movie.
5) Putting in Pippin's song: The suicide ride back to Osgiliath almost moved me to tears and I think it was mainly due to the hobbit's song.
6) Boromir and Aragorn meet in Rivendell.
7) Saving the reforging of Andúril for ROTK: It's a spectacular scene, and it also adds to Arwen's larger part!
Aragorn's speech to his troops at the Morannon: Well, it sounds like a bad rendition of "Henry V", it's totally against my pacifist convictions - but it makes damn good cinema.

[Edited on 19/5/2004 by Aervir]

[Edited on 20/5/2004 by Aervir]
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 11:29
Good changes:

* Aragorn (Go Viggo:love
* Arwen's extended role, the flashbacks with Elrond and the lines taken from the Appendix)
* Leaving out the parts of Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns, but (in TTT EE) give a cameo of his character and Old Man Willow, so Tom would not be forgotten
* Letting the Elves fight in Helm's Deep. I know it would seem that "men are weak" indeed. However, I always thought that it was good to show that both Elves and Men are fighting and still saving some movie time (if you guys get what I mean). Eomer's arrival and saving still shows the human strength.
* Characters more human. I mean (for example):
** I like book-Faramir, but movie-Faramir is so much more interesting. David Wenham playing Faramir in RotK was too short, but very powerful, especially in the dialogue with Denethor.
** Gandalf as warlord instead of divine Maia in RotK (I know it isn't supposed to be that way, but I like it)
** Gollum/Sméagol, so torn between his two "selves"
* Saving Shelob's Lair and the reforging of Narsil into Anduril for RotK
* Leaving out the scouring. In the book, it worked out great and I liked the part. For the movie, I think it just would be too long.
* The way RotK was filmed: overwhelming action scenes and when I thought I would jump off my chair, a 'calming-down' scene (so I could sit back again for a few seconds) . I loved the quick changing of speed.

I am sure I forgot a few. Looking at this list, it might seem that I like the movies better than the books. Which is not true, I like both for what they are .
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 05:58
- When Pippin lit the beacons
- When the elves come to Helms Deep. I've complained about this before, but I've had a change of heart and i like it now.

[Edited on 20/5/2004 by square]
Miriel81589
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 02:18
I liked the prologue a lot. Those who are mere mortals and have not read the books (like my parents) were helped by that, I think. Merry and Pippin setting off the firework was just classic, it really boosted their characters. I also liked the way Frodo and Sam met up with Merry and Pippin. It's just smoother that way. Tom Bombadil is the most ANNOYING character EVER so cheers to PJ for leaving him out!! Bwahahaha! With the change at Bree...well the movie version works for a movie, the book version works for a book. I didn't like it or dislike it, but it works. I love Arwen's extended role! Girl power, yo! Skipping WAY ahead to Moria, I liked how the Fellowship mourned Gandalf's passing more than they did in the book.

In The Two Towers, I liked the scene where the Nazgul came in on wings in the Dead Marshes. I also liked it better when the women and children came to Helm's Deep. The elves at Helm's Deep were very nice. It shows that the old bonds are still strong, and that Men still have allies. Oh, and when Frodo nearly stabs Sam is my FAVORITE scene in TTT!!! It shows just how much the Ring has affected Frodo, and I adore Sam's speech. :cry:

Maybe I'll do ROTK later, as I need to leave for school Ciao!
fosca44
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 08:45
Now, lemme see...

1) The ringwraiths at the Prancing Pony stabbing the beds - one of the few times I've literally sitten on the edge of my seat the first time I saw it.

2) The elves appearing at Helm's Deep - not everyone liked this change, but I got an extra thrill from Haldir's greeting.

3) Pippin and Merry saying goodbye after the palantír incident. In the book, it was more like Pippin and Gandalf just left, and then Pippin felt sad about leaving Merry. It was so hearbreaking in the movie! I can't wait to see if the RotK EE will include more.

4) Pippin singing to Denethor. Wonderful. Simply wonderful.
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 05:54
I also think excluding the Barrow Downs and Crickhollow was a great call on PJ's part. I find that newcomers to LotR get so bogged down reading those chapters between Frodo leaving Hobbiton and the arrival at Bree, that they just give up before getting to the best part of the story.

I'll agree with you there too. I mean, I love the books, but now, I pretty much skip over those chapters when reading them. It doesn't advance the plot much at all - it just really gets stuck until Bree.

I don't know...I liked those parts in the books. But it made alot of sense to cut it out in the movie.

I like how they added the party scene. Unless I missed something, Sam wasn't at the party in the book, and Merry and Pippin were there, but they didn't show them much.

If you can't tell, I'm a big hobbit fan.
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 07:24
I'm still mad that he left out Gildor...

The film healing of Theoden was far superior to the book version. I always found that part of the book iffy and not detailed enough. I thought making him possessed by Saruman was a stroke of genius, and his changing to his old self was one of the best effects in all of the movies.

Personally, I think the books were much, much better in this regard. To me it wasn't some weird magic thing it was Theoden giving in to despair and depression due to the twisting of the truth by wormtongue. Nothing magical about it IMO. That to me is a much more powerful theme than being possessed by Saruman. Hope and despair are very key themes throughout the books and it's a shame they cut back on that a bit.

Things I did like:

- Cutting Tom
- The characterization and additional moments for Boromir. Fantastic!
- Boromir's death

Hmm can't think of any great ones other than these. To me all the good changes took place in FOTR. I didn't like any of the others in TTT and ROTK.

EDIT: There were some extended moments which did happen in the books that I enjoyed such as the Osgiliath sequence, the Palantir etc. These in my mind aren't changes so much as visualization of what took place.

[Edited on 3/12/2005 by Gildor-Inglorion]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email