Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favourite Singer from LoTR soundracks
on: January 29, 2004 01:52
Grrr... How could you guys want Enya instead of Annie?

It's all about opinion after all. I could ask how you want Annie instead of Enya, but it's all down to taste in the end.

I think Annie does a fantastic job tho, and I'm not a fan of hers.

Ben Del Maestro
11% (8)
Isabel Bayrakdarian
4% (3)
Elizabeth Fraser
1% (1)
Emiliana Torrini
5% (4)
Enya
22% (1)
Annie Lennox
12% (9)
Renee Fleming
4% (3)
Billy Boyd
19% (1)
Other
4% (3)
I can't choose!
16% (1)
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 02:23
Well I didn't say I wished Annie sang May It Be as well as Into The West. Some people here think that Enya should have sang both songs! I think that's very disrespectful of Annie Lennox and Howard Shore for choosing her. I know this is a forum about opinion, but the question was who you think is the best singer, not why Enya should sing all of the songs on the soundtrack! And why should the singer of Into The West have an etheral elf quality to her voice? The film wasn't about elves, ROTK actually had the least emphasis on elves of the three films. The song is about Frodo leaving, and hobbits are closest to normal, regular humans. I think Enya's voice would not fit the the human sentiment of the song. The decision was perfect. xx-Amanda

[Edited on 30/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]

[Edited on 30/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 08:29
samandfrodoforever, no one said that Enya should have sang all the songs. People are entitled to their own opinions. Some of us prefer apple juice to orange juice, it's all about preference. Maybe some people just don't like the sound of Annie's voice. I think we should all be respectful of one another's opinion.
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 09:08
You agreed with someone who said Enya should have sang Into The West! OMG, how can you say people didn't say that? Whatever... No more comments from me on the subject. xx-Amanda
Don_Palantir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 11:44
OK, my final choise: Renee Fleming
But I like then all
Remmirath
Sleepless Astronomer
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 01:04
Ben Del Maestro ! I do have to admit it was a tough choice though. Tied for second are Elizabeth Fraser and Isabel Bayrakdarian. They all have such beautiful and powerful voices, I just can't get enough of their songs .
Eyborg
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:06
Aha, so Ben Del Maestro was the name of that beautiful boy soprano... I had forgotten. Beautiful voice.

I must say I really liked Annie Lennox' song. I have actually one theory, and I'll try to explain it on my bad English, he he (I'm not a native English speaker):
I think Enya's song was supposed to sound elvish, and Enya has a very "elvish" voice. (I'm a big Enya fan myself actually). But at the end of ROTK, the time of the elves was over, and the time of Men had begun. And I think Annie's song and voice sounds very "human", and as such, good. - I used to like the Eurythmics back in the day, and I like Annie's voice. Sure it sounds "harsher" than Enya's, but it sounds "human". If you follow me.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 11:10
Lol yay! Alot of Ben fans! Anyone know where I can find info about him? I've tried search engines an they don't work at all.
ShynxIdentity
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 04:43
definintely Ben Del Maestro for me! i love all the singers but i'm crazy for Ben. i listen to his parts over and over and over every day. his voice is the most beautiful thing i've ever heard. i would love to find info on him if anyone has anything at all
bainwen_greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 03:17
probably enya but thats mabe just because shes from ireland and i have been t herr dads pub (did you know her dad owns a pub up in the middle of donegal called leos taveren their curries lovely lol and i think i saw her plack for fotr album because all hers and clannads placks were up on the walls isnt that cool )any way i also love billy,ben and annie my least fav song would probably be gollums song tough
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 06:53
Woot, my dead thread is alive again So, I started a Ben Del Maestro fan club...anyone interested in joining PM me
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 07:00
Annie Lennox definately. She's got such a unique voice, and I loved her band The Eurythmics. Not to mention, I LOVED Into the West.
But I really like all the singers and vocalists on the soundtracks. All of them did a wonderful job.
Scatha
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 07:07
BAH!

Where are all the Isabel fans?

Evenstar was, in my opinion, the most hauntingly beautiful song on the soundtracks.

Ben is good, just not....can't think of the word...it's just lacking to me somehow.

Elizabeth is good too, but Isabel Byaksomething rather is just amazing.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 07:52
Ben is good, just not....can't think of the word...it's just lacking to me somehow.

Maybe you say this because of his lack of experiece and young age? Or because we know so little about him. When I get all the EE's I'm going to have to watch the special extras and see if I can pick up any info on him
Pippin_the_periannath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 08:32
I can't choose.

And why did I think that Ben Del Meastro played the violin?
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 08:45
And why did I think that Ben Del Meastro played the violin?

I have no idea.

Aha, so Ben Del Maestro was the name of that beautiful boy soprano... I had forgotten. Beautiful voice.

Lol. He does have the most amazing voice ever.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Billy!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
I voted for Annie Lennox because Into the West and Use Well the Days are very special songs for me, but I pretty much like all the singers!
Billy Boyd, Rene Flemming, and Enya are amazing!
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
WingFoot III
Council Member
Send Message
I voted for Annie Lennox. Use Well the Days is possibly may favorite LOTR song, I also really like In To The West
I like all of the LOTR singers. I don't see Sheila Chandra or Sissel on the pull. The Last Debate and Breath of Life are 2 of my favorite songs.

[Edited on 10/01/2015 by WingFoot III]
SigNew
"I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor."
~ Aragorn The Fellowship Of The Ring
Mironiel_EA
Council Member
Send Message
*dies* I can't choose! I love all of them equally.
DragonxKing
Council Member
Send Message
I wound up voting for Annie. It was a tough decision, and I had it narrowed down to Annie, Renee, and Emiliana. Into The West is such a beautiful song, and it still gives me chills and moves me to tears.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Ballads are simply not my favorite song format. Perhaps that is why no song from the six movies has stuck in my memory.

As to Annie Lennox: I know a few of her songs that predate RoTK by at least 20 years. The song she did as a member of the Eurythmics duo, "Sweet Dreams" (1983) is my absolute favorite, far ahead of "Into the West".

And as for the 2004 Oscars, I woke up (without setting an alarm clock!) here in Germany in time to see the whole show (so about 4 AM?). So I did hear all the songs nominated for the Oscar, and my vote would have gone to a song from a French movie (cartoon?) which had a very bouncy rhythm. I was absolutely thrilled with the 11 for 11 sweep, and yes, "Into the West" was the best of the ballads. But by personal musical preference (very much in the minority if you look at the nominations), not my choice.
zakhary
Council Member
Send Message
Enya really has a soothing voice. divine and mild. I love her voice

[Edited on 06/25/2016 by zakhary]
Captain Boromir
Council Member
Send Message
I had to go with Enya.
Warrior Maiden of the Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I love the song that Pippin sings to Denethor in the Return of the King movie. I also love the song that Aragorn sings at his coronation.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Warrior Maiden of the Dunedain said:I love the song that Pippin sings to Denethor in the Return of the King movie.

Yes! That is one of the saddest gut-wrenching parts of the movie. The sound and words of the song... the ride of Faramir and his men, and the disgusting slobbery of Denethor.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Billie Boyd came up with the tune for that one. The words come from one of Bibo's songs that the hobbits sing on their way to Crickhollow.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Come to think of it, there is one song that does stick in my memory a bit: the one the Dwarves sing at Bag End at the beginning of AuP. To my untrained ears, it has some of the flavor of the Gregorian chants, respectively the Don Cossack Choir Serge Jaroff (I own a double LP - the big black thing, kids - with some of their songs). Something about the dirge quality appeals to me.

So, no solo singer, but the Dwarves' Choir for me.

[Edited on 08/02/2016 by Gandolorin]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin- i found myself absolutely enchanted by that song and sang it over and over , after seeing the film. I know what you mean about it having an Eastern quality. I think it may be in a minor key, which gives it a melancholy character. The deep, resonant voices just give me the shivers.

Overall, i find the soundtrack to the Hobbit films very dark and often reflecting violence and conflict. The range of musical tones and the vsriety of excellent voces is broader, i think in the LOTR trilogy.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
I voted for Renee Fleming but they're all great in their ways. I actually knew Renee Fleming's brother. He was my woodshop teacher when I was in 6th or 7th grade. He was so proud of his sister when the movie came out. He had the poster in his classroom and he was so eager to talk about her. It made me even more in love with the books and movies...and of course the CoE community. Very beautiful memories.
alwynweiss
Council Member
Send Message
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email