Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Al
Council Member
Send Message
Post Elf-Life 1. Conception and birth [keep]
on: February 01, 2004 06:37
ED: This is the first of a series of Elf-Life Threads which will feature the cream of old threads, edited and merged for easy access and further discussion. The two threads merged here are from 2004.

Al said:
this is a question that has bugged me for a long time. how are elves born?! you never hear of a child elf (i dont think

AtalanteStar: Elves were born in a remarkably similar way to the way humans are born. There certainly were child elves - you don't hear so much about them in LotR, but through the Silmarillion there are references to Elrond and Elros as very young children, as well as Maeglin, and I'm sure some others.

The only exception to this was the 1st generation of elves, who "awoke" beside Cuivienen. These were created by Ilúvatar, and simply "awoke" when their time had come to live.

Gilthoniel added: The first elves awoke when the stars Kindled across the earth and of course all other after the first generation were born as were humans.

Jedgron: Come on now. We all know how we got here. They just did it "fairer and with more wisdom". ED: Hmmm food for thought there!

In another thread EldarExilePrincess asked:Do female Elves know immediately if they're pregnant, or does it take some time for them to know, like humans?

Morwinoniel thought: At least I haven't found any written information about this. But, it might well be that, they can "foresee" it, or sense it much earlier than humans.

PotbellyHairyfoot: I cannot find anywhere that states it clearly but I think that, judging by the circumstantial evidence in the Chapter Laws and Customs among the Eldar in Morgoth's Ring elves knew when they conceived.

Elvish couples generally refused to bear children unless they were in a safe environment where both parents could be around for the year of begetting, as they believed that the fëa (spirit) of the developing fetus drew nourishment from both parents. This implies that they could control conception and would only conceive when they wished to, and would know when they conceived. (of course this could also imply that they were very like 'traditional' catholics as to birth control) It is also quite likely that they soon felt the drawing of nourishment by the fetus once they became with child and the fëa began drawing nourishment.

There is also the example of Miriel who was so weakened by the begetting of Fëanor that she decided to give up her body. She clearly felt the strength being taken from her by her developing child.

ED: and here's some fugitive posts from the "Childhood " thread.

Kingfingolfin asked: By the way, is it anywhere written if the birth is the same as a mortal? Meaning labor pains, morning sickness, etc. I am sometimes in two minds about it since elves supposedly dont get sick.

Ithildin: well i can answer the labor pains in the Finwe and Miriel story, Miriel was in great pain while giving birth to Fëanor and gave all her energy in to him. but i dont know about the morning sickness

...From the Laws and Customs of the Eldar essay found in Morgoth’s Ring (HoME X) P212
As for the begetting and bearing of children: a year passes between the begetting and the birth of an elf-child, so that the days of both are the same or nearly so, and it is the day of begetting that is remembered year by year.

[Edited on 8/10/2007 by cirdaneth]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
* bump
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email