Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post TTT EE Sequence by Sequence #6: Faramir / Osgiliath
on: February 05, 2004 01:27
Caps for these scenes are: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabit; Window On the West / Sons of the Steward / The Forbidden Pool and Farewell to Faramir.

Questions here: did you like the extra scenes with Faramir? Do they help his character?
Did you like the flashback-scene with Boromir?
What about the Clockwork Orange-scene? Does this version show Faramir's part in Gollum's return better?
In the end, Sam comes a little closer to Gollum: why? Do you like it?

And as ever: I prefer
the theatrical version
0% (0)
the EE for Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit (the dead Haradrim, and Faramir's pensive mood)
12% (3)
the EE for Boromir's boat
4% (1)
the EE for The Sons of the Steward
72% (1)
the EE fpr Faramir's men beating up Gollum (called the Clockwork Orange scene by David Wenham)
4% (1)
the EE for Farewell to Faramir
4% (1)
none of it
0% (0)
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: TTT EE Sequence by Sequence #6: Faramir / Osgiliath
on: February 05, 2004 01:55
I looooooooooove the Sons of the Steward scene most of all - I wish that they could have put it in the theatrical! All the extra Faramir scenes really do help explain his character's journey, and why he chooses to take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath, and why he ends up letting them go. And I know it made my friends and I fall in love with Faramir . And it was great to see Sean Bean again!

I loved Faramir's little speech about the dead harad soldier when he captures Frodo and Sam. A nice little moment, small though it was, that added a lot of depth.

The gollum-beating bit - I thought it was nice, well, not nice, but I liked it that Faramir stopped it. I think they got Faramir really spot on - that he doesn't like needlessly killing or harming man or beast.

I like that in the end Sam gets that bit closer to Gollum, I think it shows that he's learnt more - maybe he's beginning to understand the relationship between Gollum and Frodo. And it leaves the audience thinking, "No, Sam! Noooo!"

These added scenes are among my favourites...and as always I understand why they were removed, but I wish that they had kept the Sons of the Steward - I think it would have made a lot of fans a bit happier...but never mind.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 03:55
I prefer all extra Faramir-scenes and not even for drooling:drool:. For me, it shines a brighter light on the development on his character, because in the theatrical version, he was more pointed out like a nasty one. In the added and extended scenes, it is explained why (as captain, he has to keep safe Osgiliath and the borders of Gondor for a long time) and it gives a good view on the Faramir-Denethor relationship. It makes more understandable that Faramir did have a hard time for several years already, in spite of his very good character which fortunately shows up in the end (for example, the warning for the Pass of Cirith Ungol).
It also gives a nice view on the reasons why Boromir wanted to bring the Ring to Gondor; a nice addition to FotR.
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 10:55
I thought that that scene were the best extra scene in the movie. They really showed Faramir's true nature and his relationship with his father. I also liked how Boromir tried to defend his brother. The Farewell to Faramir scene was my second favorite because it had the "you've shown your quality-the very highest" line in it. That was one of my altime favorite lines in the books. I could have done without the beating up Gollum scene because Faramir just stood there and did nothing. I do not think he would have done that.
Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 10:43
Just as a "first-off", the 'changes' to my boy's character didn't really bother me at all because in the back of mind I was thinking "He's not doing this for himself, he's doing it to try and please his father!"... which is the way things work in the books (to a certain extent).

That said, my favorite of the added scenes was the Sons of the Steward because a) we got the see the Brothers Mir together, b) so many of the lines in TTT are echoes of things that are said in that scene and c) it shows you why Faramir is acting the way he is.

I loved all the added scenes... although I agree I think the beating up of a Gollum was a tad, erm, *harsh*. I don't think that's something movie or book Faramir would have permitted.

On the whole, though, I really REALLY liked all the added Faramir-related scenes. I felt that they helped to soften his character for us bookfans and explain his existence to non-book fans. I remember that after I saw TTT:EE in the theater with a friend of mine who hadn't/hasn't read the books, her response was that his appearance didn't seem so "abrupt" anymore.

Cheers!

Evenstar
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 10:53
What is there to be said about "Sons of the Steward" that hasn't already been stated? That was one of the moments of true perfection in the film, and I still cannot fathom why it was ever cut out.

Of course, the added Faramir also contributes a lot to his character. I think it explains more about why the changes to his character were made in the film, and at the same time they do reflect more of his canon personality.
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 08:51
What is there to be said about "Sons of the Steward" that hasn't already been stated? That was one of the moments of true perfection in the film, and I still cannot fathom why it was ever cut out.

Of course, the added Faramir also contributes a lot to his character. I think it explains more about why the changes to his character were made in the film, and at the same time they do reflect more of his canon personality.

Oh yes; what a lovely scene that was. I wanted to punch Denethor in the mouth, wipe that sneer off his face. I think Boromir wanted to do so as well, but of course Boromir would never actually strike his daddy/liege lord/steward.

I found Faramir's sudden hopeful look, when Boromir praises him to their father, heartbreaking. Faramir trots up towards Denethor with a look that says 'maybe this time he'll give me a kind word', only to have his hopes dashed again, and this time in public. Amazing to see the cool and calm Captain of the Ithilien Rangers reduced to a rejected child. I wondered why Faramir wasn't used to his father's scorn by that point and let his emotional walls down so easily.

The last moments between Boromir and Faramir were also wonderful. Boromir doesn't want to go, and Faramir is looking at his big brother tearfully, as if he knows that Boromir won't return; then Boromir tells him "remember this day". I think Boromir was trying to make Faramir feel better, have him focus on the image of their triumphant retaking of Osgiliath, since Boromir viewed it as a joint effort...

Noble, Bean and Wenham did great jobs...

RAKSHA THE DEMON
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 11:19

Oh yes; what a lovely scene that was. I wanted to punch Denethor in the mouth, wipe that sneer off his face. I think Boromir wanted to do so as well, but of course Boromir would never actually strike his daddy/liege lord/steward.

I found Faramir's sudden hopeful look, when Boromir praises him to their father, heartbreaking. Faramir trots up towards Denethor with a look that says 'maybe this time he'll give me a kind word', only to have his hopes dashed again, and this time in public. Amazing to see the cool and calm Captain of the Ithilien Rangers reduced to a rejected child. I wondered why Faramir wasn't used to his father's scorn by that point and let his emotional walls down so easily.

The last moments between Boromir and Faramir were also wonderful. Boromir doesn't want to go, and Faramir is looking at his big brother tearfully, as if he knows that Boromir won't return; then Boromir tells him "remember this day". I think Boromir was trying to make Faramir feel better, have him focus on the image of their triumphant retaking of Osgiliath, since Boromir viewed it as a joint effort...

Noble, Bean and Wenham did great jobs...

RAKSHA THE DEMON

Well put, and I agree 100 per cent.

I particularly liked the way Boromir reacted when his father approached - his attitude summed up his feelings of resentment towards him, mostly caused I would guess by the way he treated Faramir. It also summed up nicely the bond between the brothers and showed that they were much closer to each other than to their father, and that Denethor wasn't included in that bond.

I loved the way they portrayed Boromir in that clip - the loving and protective older brother.

Puppet_Master
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 05:49
OK, I know all people here loves movie version of LOTR more than books I see, but anyway I post

First: Is not true all that story, it´s a lie, doesn´t exist in Tolkien that way.
Boromir wanted that mission for him, for pride and for considering Faramir weaker. Movie Boromir is a someone else´s creation. There´s not such a glory for Boromir but to Faramir in ROTK book (of course, they cuts this from movie)
Second:the mission of going to Rivendel was to find out about the riddle:evil:
3: Denethor is portrayed as a villain to be hated, not true :evil::evil:

Anyway, people is free to enjoy what they want, LOTR movie is something else, I prefer the true LOTR in Tolkien books
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 07:29
OK, I know all people here loves movie version of LOTR more than books I see, but anyway I post

That is not quite true. I think the books ten times better than the movies and I am sure that there are others out there that agree with me, but seeing how this is a forum for discussing the movies. . .

First: Is not true all that story, it´s a lie, doesn´t exist in Tolkien that way.
Boromir wanted that mission for him, for pride and for considering Faramir weaker. Movie Boromir is a someone else´s creation. There´s not such a glory for Boromir but to Faramir in ROTK book (of course, they cuts this from movie)
Second:the mission of going to Rivendel was to find out about the riddle
3: Denethor is portrayed as a villain to be hated, not true

The movies were just someone's interpretation of the books and I am quite sure Peter Jackson thinks that he is doing the books justice. That was what he got out of them and how he decided to portray the characters. Also, it needs to be taken into consideration that people are going to be watching the movies that have never read the books. This way, it made it simpler to understand the story and easier to watch.

But as you say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
----------------

I loved the edition of the extra scenes for Faramir. They helped greatly with his character. When I first saw the movie, I was ticked that they got the character of Faramir all wrong. He wasn't mean and did not take the ring to Osgiliath. But with the extra scenes, I am now okay. They explained the motives behind the actions and they are valid, I would probably do the same in his shoes.
Tofu
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 08:35
While the whole Faramir/Boromir/Denethor thing was not at all as it was supposed to be in the book, I can almost forgive Peter Jackson for changing the story line so drastically. The extended scenes made the movie version work so much better. I really liked the "War will make corpses of us all" line. The Sons of the Steward scene was great in that it showed a side to the brothers that neither theater version did. Again, I don't much like the changes to the story, and some of them I can't stand, but the extended scenes help explain PJ's choices, even if they don't excuse them.
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 08:24
While the whole Faramir/Boromir/Denethor thing was not at all as it was supposed to be in the book, I can almost forgive Peter Jackson for changing the story line so drastically. The extended scenes made the movie version work so much better. I really liked the "War will make corpses of us all" line. The Sons of the Steward scene was great in that it showed a side to the brothers that neither theater version did. Again, I don't much like the changes to the story, and some of them I can't stand, but the extended scenes help explain PJ's choices, even if they don't excuse them.

It was a given that there would be a lot of things in the movie that differed from the book. We were lucky that PJ had the talent and skill and guts to keep the essence of the story in it and keep as much as he did. I would have been just as happy with Arwen kept in the background without flashback scenes; but physically Liv Tyler made a lovely she-elf; and her scenes with Elrond were great. I was far more disturbed by Elrond's showing up and telling Aragorn that Arwen was dying because of Sauron, but I still understand why PJ put that in - dramatically, that was a good moment for Aragorn to get The Sword That Was Broken and there had to be a reason why the movie's more-PC activist Arwen didn't come with him.

I would assume that in making the theatrical version, PJ had to answer to higher-ups on issues like cost and necessity of every second of footage that would appear in the movie.

And bottom line, a movie director interprets his source, and picks and chooses what he wants to put in. (GONE WITH THE WIND, a great movie, left a lot out of the material in the book, like Scarlett's two older children, out of the screen version) Thankfully, nowadays we have extended version DVDs, so both fans and movie directors and studio executives can all, in a sense, have their cake and eat it too.

I thought it very interesting that in the TTT EE scene with Denny & sons, Boromir showed an initial wariness of dealing wtih Isildur's Bane; and really didn't want to go, thought it better to stay with his people and fight the good fight at home. He looked really uncomfortable on that horse, as if he knew he shouldn't go but had to obey his father. (actually, it would have been far more strategically advantageous to send Faramir, but that was Tolkien's decision. Though I believe that at the time he wrote the chapters dealing with the Council of Elrond, Tolkien had no idea that Faramir would play any further role in the story than a mention in Boromir's flashback of having a vision)

The Osgiliath scene also serves the function of showing Denethor as a physically and mentally strong and active Steward. It also gives Denethor one more source of stress, one more straw that will ultimately break him - Boromir hesitated to go to Rivendell in search of Isildur's bane; and he only went on the quest that ultimately killed him because Denethor pushed him to do so. That's gotta eat away at Denethor like poison; he's the one who sent his beloved Boromir off to die, as later, deliberately, he sent Faramir to die as well.

RAKSHA THE DEMON
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 11:37
I do not like Faramir at all in the film, but the extended scenes helped me understand his character a little better movie-wise. PJ still should have stuck to Faramir's original character though.
Faramira
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2010 10:32
I think, Faramir's character was perfect in the movies. His bookverse charakter was a little boring. So I am very happy about the changes in the movie. It's understandable that a man will be tempted by the ring.

My favorite scene is 'the sons of the Steward'. David and Sean were great in it. :love:
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: TTT EE Sequence by Sequence #6: Faramir / Osgiliath
on: September 20, 2012 09:24
Love these scenes it shows the love and care Boromir had of his little brother. Its very sweet he wants to protect Faramir from daddy.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email