<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Religions
on: February 18, 2013 05:51
totally agree
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2013 12:55
Okay, before anyone starts a fight, I just wanted to say something. Science is not all wrong. But, it is also not a belief. Or shouldn't be a belief. Science is a name for a theory. Or, a bunch of theories. I'm not saying that nothing in science is true, but I'm saying that nothing in science is true. But none of it has been proven right or wrong. Thats my idea of science. As for religion, I believe in God, and try my best to live to show others how good he is. It doesn't matter your belief. You can be anything you want, and no one should judge you. When you enter this world, you have parents. But it doesn't mean they make the choices for you. Or your friends. Eventually in your life, you are going to have to make choices for yourself. And whatever you do, is totally up to YOU! And YOU can choose whether to think about the consequences or not. So, again, you choose your life and what you do with it. No one should judge you for that. I'm leaving it there. -Sydney/Rodwen
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2013 11:36
Thanks, syd. Just what I was trying to explain, but my fast minded impulsive self holds me back.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 08:08
As a song quote to go along with Rodwens thought:

"It's your life, whatcha gonna do? The world is watching you, every day, the choices you make, say what you are and who your heart beats for, its an open door, it's you life." -Francesca Battestelli
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 08:09
Christian song, by the way
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 11:56
oh speaking of Christian quotes, think on this!

' A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil. it has no point' i don't remember the authors name. when i find out i will tell u all
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 02:55
I like that alot!!!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 02:58
by the way....no one think im crazy, but some of the kids I babysit have brought up a valid question: Were there fish on Noahs ark? I know its really a funny question, but I just thought Id throw it in here as a discussion topic!!!! I can take all the critizism for it being a stupid question, but I was just wondering.
I think yes, there were fish on Noahs Ark. In the Bible, it says that God told Noah that "two of every animal were to be put on the ark." So, that includes aquatic animals! What do you guys think?
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 07:37
I'm a Catholic Christian, and I was baptised and did the First Holy Communion, though now I don't care about religion at all. I don't believe there is some kind of deity, like a God, but I'm sure there must be something more than just us.

By saying I don't care about religion means I don't care about religion for myself, but respect people who do practise one, as long as they don't try to 'force' it upon me (as Jehovah Witnesses are known to do, no offense to anyone here who is a Jehovah Witness) or try to bother me excessively about it.

The only thing I say is; Keep religion out of politics. It causes more trouble than it's worth.
~Nev~
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2013 03:03
findemaxm48, i think it is possible that fish could be on the ark. maybe they swam in the water next to the ark! maybe they had tubs or barrels! idk. but there had to be some. interesting fact about the animals on the ark i learned. they only took two of each kind, meaning only two dogs. not like two golden retrivers, and two german shepards. just one dog. so when the flood was over and all the animals went back on land, there was only two dogs. then they mated with other animals and the babies might have looked diffrent then the parents a little bit. i forget what it is called. i hope i explained it right. does anyone know what it is called?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: February 28, 2013 03:39
Seven each, male and female, of the clean beasts and the fowls of the air, two of all the rest. This presumably includes the water beasts, i.e. fishes. I think Leviticus explains which are clean. I think herring are ok.
As for dogs, they're a species apart, having one of the greatest variations of any animal, so everything from miniature poodles to great danes came from the original wolf-like ancestors. I don't think there is a word for this variation, just variety. It's not mutation, all the possibilities are already there, just as we are different to our siblings and parents. I hope that helps.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2013 08:06
That is correct as far as I know tarcolan
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2013 10:53
oh now i remember! it is called natural selection.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2013 11:18
That is correct.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 01:56
There were almost definitely no fish on the ark. God's instructions to Noah in Genesis 6 were to take only land-dwelling creatures and birds, and the food Noah took would have certainly been only plants. Even though some of the animals were carnivores, all creatures were designed for a plant-only diet (see Genesis 1:29-30), and even today most carnivores can survive on a vegetarian diet.

Natural selection is the correct term, but it is heavily associated with Darwinism. Perhaps a better word would be "speciation", which is basically the same thing but has the idea that one population divides into multiple species. This is well-documented in nature.

Dogs are a good example of speciation because of how much human interaction has come into play with forming new breeds. But not only are all dogs and wolves related, but also jackals, coyotes, foxes, and possibly others. My personal view (which I hope to one day prove) is that hyenas, bears, and raccoons are also related to dogs. It is rather unimportant whether it's true or not, but one of the goals of baraminology is to determine the number of kinds that God created and thus how many animals were on the ark.

(Baraminology, if you are unaware, is a new science of taxonomy based on the biblical concept of God creating ('bara) various kinds (mîn) of life instead of a single "family tree" as is purported in evolutionism.)

Quote from Nevaratoiel on February 27, 2013, 05:37
I'm a Catholic Christian, and I was baptised and did the First Holy Communion, though now I don't care about religion at all. I don't believe there is some kind of deity, like a God, but I'm sure there must be something more than just us.

[…]

The only thing I say is; Keep religion out of politics. It causes more trouble than it's worth.

If you don't mind my asking, Nevaratoiel, what do you believe? Claiming to be a Christian means that you are claiming to be a sinner before God who has been forgiven by Him because of Jesus, who was condemned to die a sinner's death for sins He did not commit—only to be raised to life again to prove the sufficiency of His sacrifice. Since you say you aren't religious, you probably didn't know that's what it means, so I don't say that to hold it against you. But since you don't believe that, what do you believe?

Also, to say that religion must be kept out of politics is a false statement. Religion isn't just organized faith like Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism. A religion is any set of beliefs about the universe in relation to god(s). An atheist is still religious when he says that there is no God because he is stating his belief based on faith, and his life and worldview are built upon that godless foundation. But since he cannot prove that there is no God, he is making a religious statement all the same. So if you ask to keep religion out of politics, you are probably excluding humanism/naturalism, which is a religion. More likely, you mean keep fundamental Christianity out of politics; however, I am only making a guess based on the views of others. I don't know your own views on this matter.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 05:34
I agree that religion is a set of beliefs. But when it's pulled into politics, like when christian companies are forced to have things on their insurance policies that goes against their beliefs, it becomes an issue.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2013 06:12
I think religion should be with politics. It should effect their decisions but not be jugged. If you know me, I am a very anti -judgmental person. Religions should not be ridiculed by other people. They should just be a back up statement of opinion...if you know what i mean...
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 03:00
I agree with you, Rodwen. In the States, at least, we have a system that doesn't let any one religion be forced upon everyone as a dominant, state-controlled religion. Conversely, the government cannot control any religion unless it is doing something morally reprehensible such as human sacrifice (this is why religious groups in the States aren't taxed). But if all religion is removed from the government, then that means the government is controlling religion. People ought to be able to interact in politics based on their religious convictions.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 04:34
Yes, that much is true! I understand when people get annoyed when religious groups are shoving the Bible in their faces and screaming at them to read it or go to Hell (not a bad word peoples, just a really bad place!). Those people should be keeping their opinions to themselves. Even the Bible says that God doesn't force religions or belief on you. He gives you a choice. But He also tells you that the one way to everlasting life is through Him, NOT good deeds. Sorry to break it to ya people, but just cuz you do some nice things to people, doesn't bring you to Heaven. No one can but yourself. So what those "annoying" people are saying is true, their just not bringing it about the right way. So again, whether you choose to follow God or not is up to you. You just have to think of the consequences and make your decision. My advice: read the Bible. It has ALL the answers you need. Not to knock down Darwin or anything but, think about it: You and I and all of the other creatures were not made by a "big BANG." Just think how amazing we are. How our body works. And to think that that was all made on accident?.....I don't think so. God made each and every one of us individually. Jeremiah 1:5- "Before I formed you in your mothers womb I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart to be prophets of the nations." God loves us each separately. No one in this world will ever be alone. Proverbs 8:17- "I love those who love me. Those who diligently seek me will find me."
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2013 09:54
Rodwen, wow, way to go! Very well said
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 03:23
Great job
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 04:46
hehehehehe yay! someone appreciates my writing!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2013 03:27
I will ALWAYS appriciate your writing
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2013 03:28
and your ability to stand up for your beliefs
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2013 09:32
I don't really agree with religion much, and it's due to some of the people that are extremely judgmental within what ever is being worshiped. As in some say that dressing up as a favorite character from a book or movie is evil and that the one doing the dressing up is going to hell. Or it's just the comments you hear when you cannot make it to the service on Sunday due to a family member visiting from out of state. Not everyone is like that, and I know it's bad to use those kind of generalization but... /shrug.

What I do agree with is the morals, principles, the rules to live by. "Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace." (Quote from Boondock Saints) While I may disagree with religion and become slightly annoyed when preached at, I do not and will not ever insult a person due to their religion. For at least they are believing in something, it's the man that believes in nothing that is cause to worry about.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2013 02:19
Yes, I agree with you that many churches will be judgemental towards people. I have been experiencing problems such as that in my church as of late. Not my family, just...me. But most churches goal is to spread the love of God and His son, Jesus, through discussion, teachings, and worship.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2013 09:02
As long as they are not extremely forceful when preaching their beliefs, I'm fine with it. Another thing that I though of is when they say that you are sinning because you do something that could be considered 'bad' then they turn around and do the same thing... Oxymoron much. LOL Or those who are only religious on Sundays and live how ever they want during the week.

But you do meet and enjoy talking to those who are religious due to how they act and treat others. Those are the people I like to have a long conversation with. (Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to be rude I'm just pointing out things that I have dealt with before.)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 06:05
I have been judged about a lot of things and sometimes i get angry. I know this is wrong, but i have to learn to forgive. I agree, some churches or members of the church can be judgmental. But we have to be the example. Show them love and forgive them. They will be loving and kind to you if you are loving and kind to you. And even if they aren't God calls us to forgive people who are unkind or hateful to us. I have had to do this with some of my friends. They have been judgmental about a lot of things. But holding a grudge and being angry with them doesn't do anything but make our friendship weaker. I try to think of the good times we have had and the good things about them. That helps. Then our relationship grows stronger! and like i said, we are supposed to be the examples. Show them the right way. Make sense?

RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2013 09:15
Yes, that is very true Legolas23 and Lastiel_Rusc. If you don't believe in trusting God, than at least be kind to people. You can teach them good ways of life so they can pass it on to others around them. If you do believe in God and you're too embarrassed to share it with your friends, than at least spread the joy so that they know if ever they want to be a believer, they don't have to live a long and strict lifestyle. Some people think that following God is like a game of soft ball. There are 3 strikes and you're out. But thats not true. God is a God of forgiveness. He wants to give you a chance to start again. God loves all of us. There is no giant rule book we have to play by. God gives us the Bible. If ever we need to find and answer, we can read that. He loves us and doesn't want us to fear Him. He wants us to love Him like He sent His son to love us. But like I said many times, it's your choice what you do with your life. No one is taking you to heaven with them. God is the only way. No pressure or anything....
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2013 02:44
When I used to be Catholic and went to Catholic school, we said the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday, which is today. I still remember the words we said before each Station:

We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2013 04:25
Did anyone go to the Good Friday service at the HSBC yesterday? Or did you even hear about it? It was on the front page of the newspaper and on YNN's "Top Stories." I went with my family. Just wondering if anyone is interested in talking about it....? ^.^
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2013 10:48
I do not know what HSBC is nor YNN for that matter but I would like to hear about what you did. I am going to my first sunrise service on Easter morning.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 07:51
I meant First Niagara Center, not HSBC. It used to be called that, but I forgot that they changed the name...YNN is a news channel that stands for Your News Now. It's a Buffalo news channel so...and the First Niagara Center is where the Buffalo Sabres hockey team play. The "Good Friday Together" thing was a Buffalo christian get-together to celebrate Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. It was an opportunity for churches of lots of denominations and culture to praise God together. It was a very amazing experience! 14,000 people attended this event. I posted the link of the recap of this service. My pastor is the man with short brown hair, brown glasses, slight beard, blue stripped tie, and speaks at 1:30. The one that talks a lot and the music stops in the middle of his speech. http://vimeo.com/62993776
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 08:33
Good Friday Together was AWESOME! It was very encouraging to see so many different denominations and cultures represented in one place, and to know that we all believed in the same thing was even more exciting. I just wish that they would have played more of a variety of music, though. i was expecting (and hoping) that a lot of the music would be sorta like Hillsong's stuff. But a lot of it was straight-up gospel choir stuff, not as modern. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but I didn't feel as "into it" as I would have if they had done other music. I think my favorite part of the whole night was when we all sang, just the voices and no instruments, the Charlie Hall song "Greater Things." It gave me shivers to hear 14,000 voices singing acapella, "Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city. Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done here."
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 03:07
I wish I could have gone with you guys. My church didnt really encourage anyone to participate or advertise it much, so I heard about it two days before it happened and wasnt able to go, sadly. But it sounds amazing and I have many friends who went.
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email