Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post The Assignments Illustrated- TTT book 4
on: March 10, 2004 07:14
Time for another round of illustrations, since we started book 4 of the Lord of the Rings i thought it was time for another thread...... as ever, this is a thread to show a few illustrations that go with the chapters being read. if theres anything you particularly want to see please PM me.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: The Assignments Illustrated- TTT book 4
on: March 10, 2004 07:24
Assignment one- The Taming of Smeagol

creeping up

gollum creeping up on sam and frodo, by john howe

The taming...

this image is by Alan Lee, showing the part where Frodo and Sam fight Gollum.

Gollum leads

This one is by Michelucci (who also did the legolas and aragorn on the random block) showing Gollum leading sam and Frodo out of emyn Muil

well thats it for today, sorry im almost three days late. :blush:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 09:23
Assignment two- the passage of the marshes

this scene is very well illustrated, im only putting a selection of my faves in here but please check out the galleries for more images!!

the marshs at night

i like this picture, at first glance its ok but as you look deeper it gets creepier! its by Monteagle, who i dont think ive featured here before.

gollum leads the way

this one is wonderful, its by Nasmith, and was done before the films were released- the reason i point that out is... just look at Frodo- this could be elijah wood in the film..down to the coat colour and everything. how cool is that?!

candles of corpses

ohh another Nasmith... i know that gollum and sam dont look wonderful, but he makes up for that by the creepy fog and frodo stood there in the background.

dead faces

this is a new image in our gallery (added about 2 minutes ago ) by John Howe. sorry about the poor pixelation on this.. i dont know why it did that

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 11:17
Assignment three- the black gate is closed

sorry its so late. things are getting hectic in real life, still better late than never.

men going to mordor

This is lovely, its by Alan Lee...

the gate

this one is a request from Figwit it really shows the size of the black gate and how imposing it is. its by Kaluta

This one is by Howe, he designed the black gate in the films too... if you look closely theres actually quite alot of simelarities.

[Edited on 1/4/2004 by k]

[Edited on 12/5/2004 by k]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 07:49
I took over from k just a bit - but she'll be back soon :love:

Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

John Howe – Faramir

Eismann – Faramir Concealed Amongst Leaves

Nasmith – Mûmak of Harad

Added by k later

Heres just a couple more i thought you might like to see....

This one is by Eissmann, its so peaceful... and under it i have included the quote put with the picture when it was submitted...

Frodo's face was peaceful, the marks of fear and care had left it; but it looked old, old and beautiful, as if the chiselling of the shaping years was now revealed in many fine lines that had before been hidden, though the identity of the face was not changed. Not that Sam Gamgee put it that way himself. He shook his head, as if finding words useless, and murmured: "I love him."

and one more... this is of course by Howe... look at the detail around the sides- you can see the hobbits hiding in the tree!

[Edited on 20/4/2004 by Figwit]

Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 07:52
The Window On the West

Chmiel – Ithilien

Eismann – Faramir meets Frodo in Ithilien

Price – Boromir’s Funeral Boat

Alexander – Henneth Annûn

Eismann (again) – Inside Henneth Annûn

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 01:17
First off, sorry i havent been here i had some important exams so i had to take a few weeks off.. i hope you didnt miss my assignements illustrated too much . Thanks to Figwit for doing such a lovely job filling in!!

Assignment six- The forbidden pool

Shall we shoot?

This is a beautiful picture by Ted Nasmith, i just love the detail in it and the simplicity of colour- it just looks like a moonlit night... wonderful!

fissssshhhhh

This is one by Roger Garland

And this one is by Inger Eldelfeldt

Well thats it for this assignment.. i cant seem to find any more pics of this

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 01:25
Assignment Seven- Journey to the cross-roads

Ithillien in the dawn light

I couldnt let the group leave Ithillien without showing off this picture, its just lovely... By Ted Nasmith of course..

The king has a crown again

This one is by Rob Alexander.. i like the contrast of the dark woods and the little flowers on the king.

This one is by Darrell Sweet, if you ignore the strange gollum and hobbits its a lovely picture.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 01:32
Assignment Eight- The stairs of Cirith Ungol

The view from the stairs

This one is by Nasmith, one of the paitings it took him longest to do, mostly because he wanted to get the eerie glow right.

This one is by Robert Goldsmith, its probably not very book accurate but never mind i still like it.

This one is by Eissmann, it is followed by the quote Firiel added to the picture when she submitted it originally.. cus its a nice quote.

"Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee – but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing."

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 12:04
Assignment nine and ten- Shelobs Lair and the choices of master Samwise

An extensively illustrated chapter! Heres just a selection of the shelobs avaliable for your viewing pleasure . I combined the two assignments because they are so simelar

Shelob appears

This is one of my favourite pictures of shelob, just look at the light and things, its by Paul Gregory. It actually turns out that its probably Ungolient, but to me its always going to be Shelob.

fighting

Another shelob, this one is by Howe

another one

This one is by Lee, isnt it creepy! i much perfer his darker art.

and just one more

Again by Howe..

First view of mordor

Aww he looks so alone. This is by Nasmith.

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by k]
Scatha
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 03:41
I'm sorry if users arent supposed to post in this thread, but the first image of the Black Gate by Alan Lee and the picture of Minas Morgul by Nasmith ae absolutly stunning.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email