Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
imahobbit428
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Arwen and Eowyn
on: July 31, 2005 06:45
i like Arwen alot more! she is soo much better than eowyn in my opinion. i just love it when Aragorn tells Eowyn there is no future for them GO ARWEN!!!!!!!
Arwen
40% (5)
Eowyn
60% (8)
Lady_Dreamer
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 11:02
I like them both and they were both an important part to the story. but they are also very different so it's hard to compare.
eowyn4u
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2005 11:37
LOL, just wondering, did anyone post why they think Arwen is better then Eowyn? LOL .
Vanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2005 07:13
LOL, just wondering, did anyone post why they think Arwen is better then Eowyn? LOL .

Not that I can see. Hmmm.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 04:18
Sometimes I think we judge to harshly Arwen. I liked her and I enjoyed her scenes with Aragorn. So, I voted Arwen Evenstar.
Awelyn 418:heart:
Elfstone_and_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2007 11:38

Exactly!!!!! Mortality was a GIFT to men. I think her choice was a rather easy one for her to make. I mean, she gets to marry the man she loves and live a happy life with him, and she is not doomed to live forever in a harsh world where everybody dies but you and your family. I know I would make the same choice without hesitation.

I most respectfully and emphatically disagree. Her choice wasn't easy AT ALL! She loves her father dearly. She loves Aragorn dearly. To me, it wasn't as much losing her immortality as losing her father for eternity. Even the thought of my father dying makes me go cold inside.
Let's say she chooses to leave with her father. She will go to Valinor, which is not a "harsh world where everybody dies but you and your family." It is a beautiful, perfect paradise where she will live in peace and joy with those she loves, and nobody will ever die. It's like heaven.
Or, she can stay behind and marry Aragorn. Arwen would live in a very flawed world. There would be war. Not all of Gondor's enemies were destroyed when Sauron fell. Aragorn would have been away often, and it is perfectly possible he could have been hurt of even killed. There will be sickness. It is an entirely new and strange world to her.
Elfstone_and_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2007 11:52
Okay, somehow, I posted before I was finished. Anyway, to continue...

So, I don't think her choice was easy at all.

Now, on to why I think Arwen is better...
To me, Arwen is a much stronger person. People say she didn't go through much in the films, but she DID. She's chosen mortality, knows she'll never see her father again, and then has Aragorn throwing their love back in her face, and Elrond refusing to accept her choice. He drags up Aragorn's future death, the event that broke her and took the starlight from her eyes, and shoves it in her face. Then, to top it all off, he LIES to her and convinces her to leave. Along the way, she realizes what he did, and, of course, comes racing back. She still chooses to stay, even though Aragorn supposedly doesn't want her anymore. Arwen goes through all that and still manages to come out on top. That, to me, is strength. Who cares if you can wield a sword? It's what's on the inside that counts.
In the books, Arwen is the one who sees that Frodo will not recover, and first thinks of sending him to Valinor for healing. She puts in a plea to Gandalf (possibly through Galadriel.) So, what is Arwen doing after the Ring was destroyed? Sitting around looking pretty and embroidering? No, she's meeting with Gandalf and Galadriel, asking a special favour for the Ringbearer. What does this tell us about her? That she is compassionate, perceptive, and SMART! Excellent qualities for a queen, and highly commendable.

Eowyn, on the other hand, gives up in despair and rides to war seeking death and glory.

Edited on Feb. 20, 2008 by Elfstone_and_Evenstar

[Edited on 20/2/2008 by Elfstone_and_Evenstar]
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2007 12:09
i agree!!!!I think that arwen is very underappriciated,and befoe u vote for maybethe more OVIOUS one wich at first is ewoyn riding heroine ....but then reflect on arwen!!!of course all of us a have diff. ideas:heart::love:
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2007 09:42
I like both. Arwen is awesome because she has a lot of hope and she is supportive of Aragorn. Eowyn dosen't like being limited and she's a rebel.
elf_at_heart
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2007 11:01
I like both characters quite a bit honestly. However, I have to choose Eowyn at this point, simply because I identify with her more than I like I think both actresses did a good job of portraying their characters, although I preferred Arwen in TTT and ROTK--awesome rescue Frodo ride aside, I loved watching the horses, but I didn't like her approach of Strider and...well, it just didn't sit right with me for some reason, the whole scene. I came to Tolkein thru the movies, and then once I read the books, I really regretted them using her rather than Glorfindal for that scene.

cutegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2007 10:41

So does Arwen. Arwen also needs to be a little less hopeful and a lot more logical. Giving up life itself and all of your family and friends for a man that you *think* that you are in love with is totally foolish. And then killing herself after Aragorn died because she couldn't live without him or whatever is very immature.
I agree, that is SO immature! But I like Eowyn, the girl has guts!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 30, 2007 12:41
My brain hurts! The movie and casting forums seem to have morphed into each other and I don't know where to post any more! :cry:
Elfstone_and_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2007 11:01
And then killing herself after Aragorn died because she couldn't live without him or whatever is very immature.

She didn't kill herself. There is a difference between dying of grief and committing suicide.
Queen_of_Imladris
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 03:02
Why does everyone keep saying 'Arwens so sappy, she bugs me, she's too perfect'?! Arwen is not perfect! She doesn't sit around crying all day! She does stuff!!!!! She faced all nine of the Nazgul instead of just ONE! ARWEN ROX!
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2007 10:42
Both of them are great, but I find Eowyn more easy to relate to, because us girls are always facing struggles and proving that we're equal to males. And we overcome things that are really difficult!
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 12:08
eowyn. arwens like overly feminene.
Elfstone_and_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2008 11:14

Eowyn, on the other hand, gives up in despair and rides to war seeking death and glory.

Wow, amazing how one's opinion can change.
Eowyn went through a lot, too; her parents died, her cousin died, her brother was banished, her uncle is being poisoned by a disgusting traitor, and she has to stand by and watch her country fall apart.
I really respect Eowyn for being able to go on after all that, and finding joy with Faramir.
So, in the movies, I now appreciate them both, and couldn't choose between them. They're both strong women. Arwen is still my favourite in the books, but this isn't a book thread, so I won't get into that.
Elegia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2008 10:09
To tell you the truth I have to respect Arwen. I mean, come on, she gave up immortality for the man she loved. That's not something to be taken lightly. She gave up all chance of ever seeing her mother, father and possibly her brothers ever again. And yes, Eowyn does incredible, amazing things. But she does them in search of personal renown or glory. I think defying your overbearing, overprotective father(no offense to Elrond, I just love Elrond!) and choosing a happy life with an eventual death rather than a sad eternity takes just as much courage as facing down the Witch King. So I have to say I love them both for different reasons.

Amen. You left me nothing to say.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 11, 2008 10:30
I'm a fan of both the characters in the books. But I was somewhat dissapointed with PJ's picking Miranda to play Eowyn in the movies....she seemed to me to be the only one that just didn't fit into her role at all. To be frank, I get a little annoyed by her, which I can usually ignore because I love the films so much. But the fact is, I WISH they had chosen a different actress. She could have done so much more with her role.

As for Liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen, I think she nailed it. She had the look, the intensity, the passion, everything. I don't know why so many people didn't like her
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2008 03:01
I concur with your point on Arwen Nellas. I thought Tyler was wonderful at capturing the character of Arwen throughout all three of the films.

I must disagree on Eowyn though. I thoroughly enjoyed Miranda Otto's portrayal of her and thought she did a wonderful job.
Meldacaniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2009 07:02
I really respect Arwen for giving up her immortality for Aragorn; she's a really powerful elf maiden, but I still prefer Eowyn. She's a shieldmaiden, she can fight, and when she finally goes to war, I think it is because she thought that all was finished with Aragorn; her chance was lost - perhaps she had no more reason to live. (Forgive me if I'm wrong - it's just my opinion.) So I also respect Eowyn for that.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 23, 2009 04:12
No, I think you are absolutely right! Eowyn went to battle in search of death....because she had lost all hope. I think this creates a nice contradiction in Eowyn's character: while she is stern and strong on the exterior, she really is VERY vulnerable inside, especially after she is rejected by Aragorn. She has weak points and insecurities, as do we all.

In my opinion, Arwen really is the stronger and stabler of the two: it must be a difficult and frightening thing to give up one's immortality...facing a death that leads to the unknown, when that really wasn't where she was supposed to go at all:cry:. She should have ended up safe in Valinor with her kin, but she was emotionally strong enough to give it up and hold to Aragorn ALONE:love:.

This isn't a slam against Eowyn: as I said, the fact that she is more internally fragile makes her more appealing and accessible, for me at least :hug: . But I DO admire Arwen's inner courage. Someday, I hope to have someone that I love so much I'm willing to forsake everything else...:heart:
Asëwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2009 06:38
Yeah, Arwen did seem a bit too perfect.
Eowyn could actually fight for herself and had a spine, while Arwen just sort of followed Aragorn around in his dreams. O.o
Eowyn is amazing.
PeaceForMiddleEarth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2009 06:21
I must say I like both of them. I saw the movies first and didn't know that Arwen's part was so small until I read the books. But they both deserve recognition. Arwen gave up her immortality to be with Aragorn, and he carried the Evenstar with him, her strength for him. Eowyn killed the Witch King, and the way that she rides into battle with Merry is something I love. She is so selfless when it comes to her people.
Marwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2009 05:54
I do really love Arwen...but to me she just seemed such a static character that I wasn't as fond of her as I was of Eowyn. Arwen was interesting with the whole mortality thing, but Eowyn got to kick butt wayy more than Arwen did.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2010 11:50
I definitely think that Eowyn is cooler....after all she killed the Witch King Arwen is nice, but she wasn't a shieldmaiden
evenstarofrivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2010 11:07
I like the IDEA of Eowyn because, being as she is, a strong, independent, beautiful yet tragic heroine, who wouldn't? However, I find Miranda Otto's portrayal unbearable, over-acted and somewhat try-hardish.
Overall, I prefer Arwen because she just doesn't annoy me as much, in the books or the movies. And she loves love, I can relate to that.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2010 09:50

So does Arwen. Arwen also needs to be a little less hopeful and a lot more logical. Giving up life itself and all of your family and friends for a man that you *think* that you are in love with is totally foolish. And then killing herself after Aragorn died because she couldn't live without him or whatever is very immature.

I'd like to disagree with that. Elves have a better handle on love than humans do,with a few exceptions.(Can anyone say "Eol"?) They took marriage very seriously,and there was often only one person they would be happy with,they knew from the start that they would have to completely and totally love,care for and respect the one that they married,with having to live with them for eternity,it was a serious matter.

Secondly,love wasn't the only factor in the marriage,there was the possibility of heirs to Numinor,reintroducing Elvin blood to the line would help strengthen the fading line. Arwen's main reason for marring Aragorn was love,but I'm sure that the fact that she would be helping her uncle's line grow stronger did come into play. And as it was seen in the movie,she wanted to be a mother,to see her children. She gave up the family she knew,to start one of her own. And that takes strength.

Thirdly,she didn't kill herself. She renounced immortality,and practically her life was tied to Aragorn's when she did that,so she would have died of old age eventually,and grief is one of the few ways an elf can die in the first place.

All that said,I do like Eowyn better,mostly because she isn't perfect she has flaws,she doesn't know everything. She went into battle,not understanding it.

And you have to admit,she had a tough time. She wanted love,to be understood,but with her parents dead,her cousin and brother busy,her uncle under Sauruman,and having a creep follow her,she didn't have anyone. And then Aragorn comes along,shows her kindness and respect,and then neglects to tell her he's already taken...she had a messed up life,and no one to turn to.

And then...and then she met Faramir:love: ,and he helped her straighten her life out.

All that plus she HAS A SWORD! OK,so does Arwen....but I just like the sharp shiny stuff....

So,I like Arwen,but going with Eowyn.

[Edited on 28/1/2010 by Lucy_Took]
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 12, 2010 12:57
I like Arwen better if we're going by the movies. I think that Eowyn was much better in the books, and if we're going "by-the-book" than I would say Eowyn.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
Faramira
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2010 09:54
I think, Éowyn is a better character than Arwen. Éowyn does a lot of important deads, but Arwen remains in Rivendell and is making a banner for Aragorn. How boring!
Arwenwarrior
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2010 05:10
I just don't understand why people think Arwen doesn't have any ability about fighting. Giving her lineage, I think her grandmother and her mother would have taught Arwen a few things about warfare, so she could defend herself well enough. Just because we don't see her fighting doesn't mean she can't.

One of the things about being wise is to know what you have to do and when you have to do it. Probably, Arwen knew it wasn't her duty to fight in a battle during the war of the ring. Also, I think she has a tendency towards healing rather than fighting.

Btw, I prefer Arwen
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 30, 2010 11:33
Also, I think she has a tendency towards healing rather than fighting.

Which, according to JRRT, contradicts each other, as can be seen in Elrond's example (although there are a few exceptions, such as Beleg). Being a warrior and dealing death impacts the healing abilities, as can be read in Laws and Customs of the Eldar. That's probably where 'people' have it from

Although I agree, and so does JRRT, that elven women can fight valiantly in dire situations, a distinction has to be made between defence and actively seeking out danger. Not sure why Celebrían and Galadriel would be mentioned in connection with fighting, seeing as we're never told that Galadriel took up any arms except in one version in Alqualondë, and we're told even less about her daughter. I agree, though, that after Celebrían had sailed to Valinor, Arwen and any other elf who travelled beyond the confines of Rivendell, would have received some sort of self-defence training to prevent them from meeting the same fate as befell poor Celebrían.

My favourite of the two actresses would be Miranda's Éowyn, I find her performance in RotK absolutely chilling. :love:

[Edited on 30/10/2010 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Arwenwarrior
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2010 10:15
Being a warrior and dealing death impacts the healing abilities, as can be read in Laws and Customs of the Eldar

I "know" that, I've read it I'm just saying she's not the "useless damsel" everybody seems to believe. Of course, Arwen wouldn't fight unless it was extremely needed. And also, I don't see her as a violent person, so obviously she wouldn't go all "omg, I'm gonna kill a thousand orcs!!!!111" ("violent" meaning inclined to go into battle without thinking twice about it)
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 31, 2010 11:31
Welcome into the fold of Laws and Customs worshippers
You'll know then that apart from Lúthien (and even she does't really 'fight'- she just sings, does magic, changes shape, and faints), there was no nís depicted fighting or even inclining to it, with or without need. Not a peep about Celebrían in the mountain pass, or about Elwing. And Ringwraiths roaming about is hardly to be considered dire need or defence -at least by me- when you have a valley full of Noldor at your command- that's why so many oppose what you admire.

[Edited on 31/10/2010 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
alassë25
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2010 03:06
Eowyn is definitely my favorite. She is one of my role models. Arwen is very wise and very amazing in her own way. I think that the makers of LOTR did not do her enough justice. Of course, they did what they could. Some things in the film were NOT like the book.. and unfortunately Arwen's character was slightly off.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email