Register

Author Topic:
Halathuriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Middle-earth Party Ideas
on: March 14, 2004 08:49
Hi!
I'm holding a hobbit party with some friends this easter holiday. The plans are going along just fine, but we could still use some great ideas. Maybe some of you have done a similar party themselves? Anyway, things we could use some ideas for:
- music: we thought of something cheery or celtic, so fitting songs/ bands are welcome
- food: what do hobbits eat?
- decoration: we've got a lot of ideas yet, but more are still very welcome
- other random ideas for a great party, maybe activities...

thx ahead!

(Mod Note ... changed thread title only )

[Edited on 5/18/2004 by Goldsand]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
Post RE: Middle-earth Party Ideas
on: March 14, 2004 08:56
If its tasty hobbit fare you want the Last Homely House has many great recipes.
~elvellon~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 01:54
WOW! thats sounds like so much fun! for music, you could use the soundtrack for fotr, and in the first one, they have a HUGE cake at the party, and umm...they had fireworks, but that might be kind of hard and they have special caligrophy signs and baners, basically, you can watch the first part of fotr and that should give you some good ideas. hope that helps and you guys have a blast! it sounds cool, mabey i'll try that some time...
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 04:32
My son's asked for a Birthday Party for his birthday, right down to giving rather than getting presents (not like he needs anything anyway!). Since it'll be early summer, we're planning to have it outdoors as much as possible, with music and party lights — and, yes, fireworks. Or at least sparklers. And we're going to make him make a speech
Halathuriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:44
thx alot! The fireworks are a great idea...I've got some sparklers somewhere in the house.
We were planning on using the soundtracks, but we still need some really cheery music to dance to (like they do in the movie). So, if anybody knows some great band that plays hobbit like music, please let me know!
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 03:38
Let's see... for my Hobbit party I did a bunch of things. Let's see if I can remember it all!

1. I dressed as Frodo. My article is up in the Garb section of The Last Homely House if you're looking to dress up, too.

2. I made my living room Bag End. I put baskets around it and flowers and also made the fireplace a mess of ancient papers and maps. I also places a HUGE middle-earth map on it. I had a walking stick leaning against the fire place, too.

3. I put a sign on my door that said Welcome to the Shire and right below it another one in the Tolkien font that said "No admittance except on party business."

4. I had all kinds of foods to eat, but mainly things I figured Hobbits would grow and eat. Snack food was vegetables with dip, cheese and some pastries. Dessert was defintely Lembas. Not a Hobbit food, but I have good relations with Elves (Actually, I sent out invitations and told guests to come dressed and it was the mother of my friend who came as Galadriel who helped me make the Lembas!)

5. For the party itself, it was a TTT viewing party, but before we watched the movie I made up this trivia sheet. I had prizes for the winners of each section of the Trivia and also some door prizes. I ordered most of them from http://www.tolkientown.com. For the door prizes, I made Elvish runes by drawing Elvish on stones and each person got one when they came in. Three of the runes corresponded with a door prize. Of course, you have to have Hobbit prizes, so I had a Bag End keychain, a journal with drawings by Samwise Gamgee and the lat door prize was actually a TTT poster, since we were watching it that night.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them or discuss the party with you. I'm thinking of planning an ROTK party for when it comes out and I have to decide what to do next!
Lostwethion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 08:00
Ooh!
My friends (and fam) threw me a surprise Hobbit party on February 28th!

We all dressed up as either Elves or Hobbits. *L*
The different foods we had were:
Appetizer(s): Brie (cooked cheese with pesto)
First course: cauliflower soup and "crusty" bread
Second course: sauteed mushrooms, spinach and pear salad (with almonds)
Dessert: Strawberry cake with cream icing.

PM me and I shall try to get the recipes from my sister-in-law.
SkyFaerie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 03:59
All I have to say is lots and lots of food and ale. That's a hobbit party right there.
RoseCottonSam
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 02:20
If its a hobbit party you want i'll tell you a bit here
music: Thee are many different bands that would suit. Try to find some cheery music that is played with fiddles and drums. Native sections in your local music shop would be geat. Alternatively you can see if any of your friends play the fiddle (violin) and look on the interent for cheery fold songs (this can also work if someone you know plays the piano if you buy the Fellowship of the ring etc soundtrack

- food: There is a grand selection of what hobbies eat in the LHH including many great hobbit dishes. Find recipes for such things as seed cake. Jpbbits don't have vry rich things butt some fruit and vegatable would be great. Try cornish pasties they would be great for a hobbit party. wholemeal bread for sandwhichs can be used to give it that more hobbity fell.

- decoration: If you want to you can do your party in a forest with a field. Also if you go into your back garden you can find some old tables and put them up. Manybe put up a banner like the one in the FOTR movie. If you can find some fireworkds this would be an excellent edition.

- Try and get everyone to come as a hobbit with the ears and the feet. You can give them instructions how to make these/ Go onto the interent and find some old games. Simple ones with not that much electronics like duck duck goose (dosen't have to be that). You could get people to do a little bit of roleplay as well.If you are in a forest or a field play wide games and that sort of stuff.

I don't know if its very good but it works

SuziDragonlady
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 02:46
Hey!

We will have a ROTK (Hobbit) party in June... we have planed all allready...

My friend will borrow a "Video-beamer" and I will borrow my grandma's slide-screen. My sister will cook for us, starter will be a forrest-mushroom soup with potatoes, next comes turkey-joint coated with bacon (yummy) and the only thing which we don't know allready is what we will serve for dessert...
For deco.... I got 4 Mahagony bowls form my grandmother, wow I like these they are really old and handmade, everything will be served on wodden plates and so on.

LimielofGondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 06:39
I have a CD called 'The old mountain thyme' me and my friends have used it many times for our LOTR related party's, its got fiddle music and some singing on it, I have no idea where you'd find it though. Oh, about the Ale, we always buy some Ginger Ale, it kind of looks like real Ale and it looks great in a punch bowl, and it is also addictive, what else could you need for a substitute Ale? Oh, and there's this lovely thing called Brie cheese, (pronounced Bree) it seriously looks and taste's like something that you would find in Bree, we always get a big wheel of that as well. Cracker's are also good, preferably wheat, to give them a hobbity look. You could probably use any food for hobbit's, I don't think they really cared what they ate, as long as it was yummy, but all that fast food probably wouldn't be a very good idea. That sounded like a great party Charis! I'll have to use some of your idea's:evil:.
UruvielTelemaite
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 11:41
there's a good band called 'the irish rovers' who sing irish songs (in english though) they might be a bit modern, but it's worth a try if you can find a cd of theirs.
The_Last_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 02:00
In the coming autumn, I will be turning 33 years old. My friends have always joked that I'm a double-sized hobbit due to my love of cooking, smoking a pipe and desperate need to go around shoeless. My love of Tolkien only came after these things became part of my personality and I have embraced it completely.

As such, my wife and I have talked about throwing a Hobbit Themed Birthday Party for my 33rd birthday, since it is when hobbits come of age. Now, I am absolutely in love with this idea, but we are uncertain of how to implement it. So, I turn to you, my fellow fans and would-be hobbits in search of ideas and musings.

I own my own home and live on a rural area that is very much like the Shire. I have a large field (ringed with trees and a river) to host my party, as well as a fine home with a lovely porch. However, I cannot do a whole lot of redecorating, at my wife's request.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 02:00
Cool! When I turn 33 (which is ninteen years away) I hope to do the exact same thing! I'd have all my kids dressed like hobbits... though, they might dress like that every day if the economy collapses, LOL.

Hmmm... Well, BEING a hobbit, I'd suggest a large banner on which is written in hobbit-font "Happy Birthday, [Name]", just like Bilbo's. Assuming you have way more money than we usually do at our house, you could pay someone to put on a fireworks show, and maybe order a giant cake like Bilbo's (only you don't have to put 111 candles on it). Of course, my ideas are probably very impracticle. After all, I'm just a kid.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email