Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Aragorn or Legolas
on: March 01, 2008 06:21
Aragorn........ *floating on a sea of drool* :heart::love: :drool:
Aragorn
54% (1)
Legolas
45% (8)
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2008 12:38
Aragorn. ^^
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 10:33
Aragorn!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 03:34
There is no question in my mind

ARAGORN :love:
HannaofElves
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 11:59
They're both awesome. *sighs* But I'm a die-hard Legolas fan. He's just so interesting.....and cute.
horsey_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2008 01:14
omg both!!! i reli cant choose!!! they are both so amazing in their own way...im lovin the whole elf thing legolas' got goin on...im loving the rough look aragorn's got goin on...both of their characters are so amazing...[i have to say, i waaaaaaaay prefer legolas to orlando!!!][and aragorn to viggo, obvs] i could go on 4eva talking bout them...i want both!!!! this question is killing me.............:love::love::love:
LegolasLover269
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2008 06:22
This isn't too hard for me because I am a VERY addicted Orlando fan and I conpletely LOVE Legolas so you probably know who I chose:love:
ssomebody
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 08:39
hya all....
so today i picked legolas but tomorow aragorn may be better to me...im just like that...so for today my choice is legolas...but honestly he can sometimes really get on my nerves...and sometimes he can be so great...
see ya...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 06:25
Aragorn. :love: Not only do I like Viggo's cute looks, but I like Aragorn's character and his personality. Sure, Legolas being an elf and all is cool, but honestly he isn't my favorite elf or even my favorite character. but i do respect him. Legolas is like, best supporting actor, while Aragorn is actually working towards a goal that can be very elusive and diffcult, and struggling with a zillion different problems. His character grows. Not like Legolas doesn't have problems, but, *shrugs* to me he just kinda stayed the same. anyways, Viggo/Aragorn ( :drool: ) will always be my favorite character, and for many reasons, not just because i think he's the best looking.

(i voted a long time ago but never said anything till now!)

so anyone notice that Aragorn leads?
~~Tinuviel~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 08:44
Wow! I'm really surprised at the results! I was sure that Legolas would be way more popular!
Mirima_Tuilinn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2009 09:31
:love: :love: LEGOLAS ALL THE WAY!!!:heart: I love his eyes, his hair, his archery skills... Also, i can relate to him, because he is quiet and isn't always noticed, but he would die for his freinds.

I know people are gonna hate me for this, but I think Aragorn is slightly overrated. i'm not to keen on his scruffy look, although I can see he is a very deep character and fights for what is right. *shrug*...
Sambart
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2009 08:05
Aragorn.
He is amazing XD
Love him as strider as he is rugged and mysterious yet very warming at the same time =]
I love him as himself because he is so acknowlegded and knows what to do.
He's an amazing leader.

Plus he's hot XD
Pippin_Luv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2009 10:22
I don't know. I think this is a hard one. Aragorn is awesome and brave, nice, and a king. Legolas is amazingly skilled and calm. xD

I guess Aragorn.
Linweofdorthonion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2009 07:45
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

LEGOLAS! :love: :angel: I fell in love with him when I was 8! I'm 13 now and still LOVE Orlando even when he's not in his best looking times, cuz hes so sweet and you should see him in picture with a baby :drool: :heart: And Leggy :drool: Awesome Archer and a loyal friend who always be there for anyone who needs him! And no I'm Not saying he's a golden retriver!
BabidiBuu
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2009 06:10
My vote is Will Turner- Err, Legolas! Whoever that Elf-Pirate is
Marwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2009 11:13
I thought everybody was in love with Legolas...all the polls with him in are losing though! Poor Leggy.
kayedhel
Council Member
Send Message
I luv both of them but I'm huge legolas fan so I'd have to go with him!!
"What is friend in elvish?" - Frodo "Mellon" - Gandalf
EruviluiGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Legolas, please and thank you.
"In gratitude for this second chance, I'll prove 'til I depart; I may not have the legs or lungs, but I have a racer's heart." ~Anonymous
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Since they are both of different races, I think it is unfair to compare the two. I adore Legolas as my fave Elf. I am talking movies here. But as for the race of Men....Aragorn all the way for this Elf girl.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
I think choosing one or the other says a lot about the person who is doing the choosing. Because Leggy and Aragorn are so different (besides race), it speaks to what we like about or relate to in another person.

It's like with some people you can become fast friends because you have feelings/thoughts/ideas about life that are similar, but with others you might wonder why anyone would consider them a friend. If we look at their particular personality traits it's easier to choose one or the other.

With that in mind, I have been in love with Aragorn since I first read the books. For me it was his maturity and quiet strength that spurred him on in his endeavors even though at times he was at odds with his future. Because of that, he succeeded in spite of himself (and his future dad-in-law. )

I was apprehensive when Peter was going to make the first movie. I just couldn't see how ANYONE could be the Aragorn of my imagination. Fortunately, Viggo was Aragorn like no one else could have been.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
NenyaGold said:I was apprehensive when Peter was going to make the first movie. I just couldn't see how ANYONE could be the Aragorn of my imagination. Fortunately, Viggo was Aragorn like no one else could have been.

Please forgive me if I'm repeating myself here (I like to put in my two cents' worth on some topics, like PJ, without being able to remember how close I've gotten to the cents adding up to a dollar - or euro, for that matter).

I've seen every part of LoTR at least four times, FoTR at least five.
Compared to the book, my feeling is that Viggo's Aragorn would have made a fine Faramir as I see him in the book. Aragorn, as I see him in the book, would have to be taller, more imposing in a subtle way, with a hint of danger to him.

More of an archaic hero, is what I may want to say, I found Viggo's portrayal too modern and - yes - angst-ridden, uncertain; what the Aragorn of this time in the book was very definitely not. May be what PJ saw as a necessary revamping to make him more accessible to modern audiences.

The Aragorn of Ralph Bakshi's 1978 animated version comes much closer to my "vision". Come to think of it, perhaps Charles Bronson's portrayal of the harmonica player in "Once Upon a Time in the West" is spot on - except that for Aragorn, he would need to be 6'6".
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Since I've not read your other rants posts about this subject Gandolorin, your two cents are most welcome. At least you're putting in and not taking out.

I agree with you that Aragorn should have been taller (or Arwen shorter...) which would have made him more imposing, but I thought for fitting into Peter's vision of LotR, not mine, Viggo was rather imposing. I felt that at least the first scene of him throwing Frodo around in the Prancing Pony and later taking care of the wraiths on Amon Sûl set up the feeling of his power. (Side note and a very personal opinion - His introduction with just his glowing pipe and eyes has to be one of the best introductions in film history! )

It's interesting how we can interpret the same performance differently. I'm not sure I would call Viggo's portrayal angst-ridden, maybe more like burdened, but that's how I interpret it. And of course our visions from reading the books might not be the same. But I certainly understand your point of view. It does give me a different take on the books vs movies.

I admit I never saw any of the other LoTR productions for fear of losing my vision of the book characters and was really apprehensive when I first heard that Peter was going to make the movies. I decided I had to separate the books from the movies and sort of wipe my mind of them (since I had lived with them for coughthirtyyearscough so many years...) if I was going to be able to enjoy the movies.

I knew they would make changes I wouldn't like (Arwen rescuing Frodo instead of Glorfindel rescuing him among many others...) and not include characters that I thought should be included (Arwen rescuing Frodo instead of Glorfindel rescuing him among others...). So in general, I try not to compare the movies to the books or I'd be rather disappointed. (As I am with both Hobbit movies. But that's another subject entirely.)

Since this is a poll in the Drooling Casting Forum, who is your favorite? Aragorn or Leggy? For whom did you vote (if you did...) and why?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
OK, I just voted Aragorn - but I leave the drooling to the distaff members.

Now, I don't believe I've read anything of James Fenimore Cooper's tales about Natty Bumppo, a woodsman along the Daniel Boone line - and decidedly not a cowboy (they came much later). These tales are even known in Germany under the title "Lederstrumpf". What I have read are several books by Germany's Cooper, Karl May. He must have read a lot, because he never visited the US until after his books had become bestsellers. His heroes are Natty Bumppos and Daniel Boones transported into the cowboy era. The cowboys don't look too good in these books, and May has a decided sympathy for the prairie tribes, echoing Cooper's sympathy for some northeast tribes.

Tolkien stated that tales about "American Indians" (as they were then called) appealed to him immensely, and some of this appeal can be seen in the meeting of the three hunters with Éomer's troop. This woodsman / trapper / tracker aspect of Aragorn certainly makes him a character I have much sympathy for.

But in addition, his non-arrogance, his utter lack of need of hero-worship from those around him, his calm (for once, the term "cool" is appropriate) self-confidence, sets him apart - above - all his non-immortal contemporaries. Best seen in his discussion with Boromir at the Council of Elrond. Which would have been entirely different had Faramir been there (I'll just call him Aragorn Junior, something PJ and the whole bunch involved with LoTR the movie somehow never were able to understand).

Enough; gotta head for the Games Forum!
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Definitly Aragorn!!

As far as the movies go, Viggo Mortensen is absolutely dreamy *adding to the puddle of drool* , not just in LOTR but in most of his other movies as well.

However, its is not just the movie version of Aragorn that led me to vote for him, in the books his silent ability to inspire confidence in a completley unassuming way is something that marks him for a great leader, as well as his anti-hero/royalty aura, the way he actively discourages any kind of unnecessary attention, he is even reluctant to embrace his heritage.

@ Gandolorin: As much as it pains me to admit, I do agree with what you mentioned above, that movie Aragorn could have been more imposing ( the height would have certainly taken care of that) and a bit more-self assured, however for me Viggo Mortensen did manage to convey the hint of danger I had imagined while reading the book. I didnt mind the "burdened" performance as NenyaGold put it, as it made a good contrast to the cheery, light tone the hobbits contributed to the general feel of the fellowship, specially during the first movie, and I did always get the impression of a certain subtle melancholy surrounding Aragorn in the books.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
Eryniell
Council Member
Send Message
Legolas! Don't get me wrong, Aragorn is a really really close second.
However, I like how mysterious Legolas is and in general, I'm definitely more of an elf kinda gal.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Definitely a Legolas vote from me. Although I like Aragorn's character and especially how Aragorn was portrayed, Legolas in both the books and the movies just won me over that slight bit more.

And I've always been more of an elf-girl myself...
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said: I've seen every part of LoTR at least four times, FoTR at least five. Compared to the book, my feeling is that Viggo's Aragorn would have made a fine Faramir as I see him in the book. Aragorn, as I see him in the book, would have to be taller, more imposing in a subtle way, with a hint of danger to him.

More of an archaic hero, is what I may want to say, I found Viggo's portrayal too modern and - yes - angst-ridden, uncertain; what the Aragorn of this time in the book was very definitely not. May be what PJ saw as a necessary revamping to make him more accessible to modern audiences.

I agree with you to a point. Viggo played a great modernish angst-filled, unconfident Aragorn the screenplay called for. All who read the full tale in the books know the tale is completely different. The story in the movies has Aragorn, the Heir of Isildur, wandering about as, to quote movie Boromir a "mere Ranger" with little reason given for his 'exile' other than he was chasing Arwen. Had they kept the Gondor/Arnor aspect of the story intact, then it would have made more sense as to why he wasn't already King of Gondor and why there was a Steward ruling the realm. Aragorn was a confident, driven man who remained a mystery while he worked his way back to the throne in such a rough time.

I too see Aragorn as taller and subtly more imposing, and rougher as Strider. What the movie got right in my opinion with Strider was the scene where Barliman is telling the Hobbits about the shady man being 'one of them rangers', and Strider takes a drag on his pipe and illuminates his hooded face. That was great. It went downhill after that.

As for Legolas.... well, the movie totally missed that one.

[Edited on 06/15/2015 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg said:
... As for Legolas.... well, the movie totally missed that one.
[Edited on 06/15/2015 by Arveleg]

As for Legolas, or any Elves for that matter, I must confess that I can scratch my head until I need a wig without coming to a conclusion about just how the Elves should look. It reminds me of the joke about the aliens in pre-CGI movies resembling humans so much, because there were "so few" four-armed and three-fingered (or whatever) actors around.

But one point JRRT once made quite forcefully about Legolas was brought to the forefront by PJ. Since it lends itself highly to actions scenes, of course PJ went totally overboard with it.

I'm sure I've posted this before somewhere, probably without being able to pinpoint the source then as now.
JRRT was once "a bit not amused" of a picture - painting? - portraying Legolas as "just pretty". He minced no words in stating that of the eight companions excluding Gandalf, Legolas was far and away the hardiest and never mind Gimli, and also far and away the most dangerous fighter, and just forget Boromir or Aragorn.

That an Elf whom other races met in a non-combat situation might seem quite nonthreatening is fine, but after Legolas or Tauriel swiftly dispatched of a bunch of normal Orcs, the reaction of those of other races should not be "I absolutely can not believe this" (huh??? for short), but a stunned recognition (perhaps "whoa!!!" for short.

I guess I'm asking for something like the four-armed and three-fingered actors ...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email