Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Arwen and Aragorn's "Loving" Realtionship
on: May 30, 2004 12:03
The "Glorfindel" part was a fine moment to introduce her. The flashbacks are telling a part of their story. It would be even more confusing when she just popped up in RotK to marry Aragorn, I guess.

But way way way more true to the book. See, I think PJ mostly captured the mood of Tolkein's work, but there was a confusing, helter-skelter bit to it that I don't think you could get any major studio (new line included) to agree to. They don't want a bunch of confused viewers, they want a movie that can stand on its own.
Seriously, if all you read is the story part of LotR, and not the back-books (BoLT, HoME, the Sil., etc...) or the appendices, Arwen is in approximately twenty paragraphs in the entire thing. Mentioned, that is, not discussed. She gets dialogue about three times. You don't know her character. She seriously does "pop up" in RotK to marry Aragorn. Well... I'm pretty sure she sent him a note with her brothers, at one point. but that's about it...
Huor_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 02:10
I LOVED the Arwen-Aragorn relationship during the movie. It made me jealous actually . Aragorn falls in love with the elven fair maiden Arwen, and is comitted to her even though he doesn't know if she left. Arwen gives up her immortality for him, even though she doesn't know if he will die or not. From a guys point of view, I think it was cool. It added just the right touch of love during the movie. And for you other people... Have you ever loved, or been attracted to someone? If you have, you shouldn't have a problem with this realationship that (i think) was vital to the LOTR series.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 12:38
She gets dialogue about three times. You don't know her character. She seriously does "pop up" in RotK to marry Aragorn.
You are right about that. Therefore, I am thankful for the excisting of the Appendices.
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 10:39
It's like Arwen would give up anything for him and he's not even worth it.

Not even worth it? I think he is. And besides, they're in love.
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 04:05
Who knows what attracts people to each other? Love is a very subjective thing, and only the people involved can say why they are right for each other--and often it baffles even those who are closest to them.

In the case of Arwen and Aragorn, they have much in common--She's an Elf; He was raised by an Elf (Arwen's father, as a matter of fact); She has vision into the hearts of men--She obviously sees his goodness. He has a very important destiny to complete before he can marry her--She considers his destiny so important she's willing to wait. They also have just plain "chemistry." They're attracted to each other and they love each other.

That's the way love is at it's best-- A shared background, A common goal, friendship, and sexual attraction. I think they are perfect for each other.
rohansteelsheen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 02:48
i think the marriage really is just tofufill history- ie beren and luthian
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 06:15
'Then Aragorn was abashed, for he saw the elven-light in her eyes and the wisdom of many days; yet from that hour he loved Arwen Undomiel daughter of Elrond.'

'And thus it was that Arwen first beheld him again after their long parting; and as he came walking towards her under the trees of Caras Galadhon laden with flowers of gold, her choice was made and her doom appointed.'

Yes, based on the movie, I guess you dont really get a sense as to why Aragorn and Arwen love eachother. But to be honest, it really doesn't give any reason's in the appendicies either. Love is what it is, it doesn't really seem to need a reason.

But their love wasn't all smooth sailing. They had distance and long spans of time apart to overcome. And also Arwen's father. He was not telling Aragorn that loving his daughter was a bad thing, but that it was to hard on him, being her father, and knowing the choice she would have to make.
"Truly," said Elrond. "Soon, as we account it, through many years of Men must still pass. But there will be no choice before Arwen, my beloved, unless you, Aragorn, Arathorn's son, come between us and bring one of us, you or me, to a bitter parting beyond the end of the world. You do not know yet what you desire of me."

This sounds like a warning to Aragorn, that if he continues to pursue this relationship, and she chooses still to travel to the Undying Lands, then he will be brought to "a bitter parting beyond the end of the world." Maybe Elrond also didn't want to see Aragorn hurt?
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 02:21
Elrond was torn. On the one hand he loved Arwen ofcourse and wanted the best for her (a happy and endless life in Valinor), on the other hand he loved Aragorn as his own son (after all, he raised Aragorn in Rivendel personally, after Aragorn's mother passed away) and he wanted the best for him too.
And Elrond knew that if Arwen became mortal, he would never see her again, not even when she died.

The fate of dying, the gift of the Valar, was hard to perceive for both Elves and Men in the 3rd Age, and saying goodbye forever was a thing Elves were not too good in (for when Elves died, they would go to the halls of Mandos, but eventually would be reborn).

This is indeed the circle of Beren and Luthien and Earendil and Elwing (Elrond's parents), which seems to be completed here.
Don_Palantir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 07:04
Indeed>>>
It is explained in the book: Aragorn and Arwen love story, in appendix of course, Beren and Luthien love reencarnation.

Aragorn made a oath to Elrond of fidelity and to fight for deserving the love of Arwen.
Sheledrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 06:55
In the book it descibed how they met and the attraction and connection between them. Sometimes when two people fall in love, there really is no explanation for why it happened. There are times when the connection is so strong and undeniable that you can't help but feel that you would die for that person or that they would die for you. Also when two people are made for each other, some things are just bound to happen. So i feel that this is why they were so in love and why Arwen felt and reacted the way she did. In her heart, he was definitely worth it.

Based on the movie, I really do not understand why Arwen and Aragorn are so in love. What do they see in each other? I just don't understand why Arwen would die for him and why she would mope around and cry for him all of the time. It's like Arwen would give up anything for him and he's not even worth it. Are they just attracted to each other for no reason? If they were then they are not really in love.

Someone please explain this to me.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2006 03:58
One thing interesting about reading Tolkien's work is that he leaves clues, like what did Aragorn and Arwen see in each other. In the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, Aragorn liked Arwen's wisdom and Arwen was impressed with the new Aragorn. It's like that in the movies. Here's an example, Aragorn believed Arwen could handle the Wraiths in FOTR. He had faith in her. Isn't that an admiraable quailty in someone?
Fattybolger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2006 07:14
It's true you can never really explain why two people fall in love. It isn't something you can help. The worst is when one person is in love and the other one isn't, at least not with them. This can be agonising for the person who is in love. That's the position Eowyn is in in the book, although once she's sorted her feelings out, with Faramir's help, she realises that her first 'love' wasn't quite what she thought it was.

I had problems with the Aragorn-Arwen relationship ITM, though not in the book. Whatever their back story, ITM each seems perfectly ready to drop the other for what seem to me to be very inadequate reasons, at least for Great Lovers. Arwen bunks off to Valinor because daddy says so, and Aragorn sees a luscious blond dawn on his horizon and thinks, 'Whacko! Here's my insurance policy in case fiancée #1 changes her mind. If fiancée #1 decides to marry me after all, I can always dump girl #2 on the nearest other bloke.'

Result: the Great Love Affair falls apart and the real chemistry is between Mortensen & Orlando, who really seems to fancy him. (No accounting for taste.)

ITB the A/A love affair is only hinted at, but it's quite clear that Aragorn is totally dedicated to Arwen and will never look at or encourage any other woman.

The Appendix makes it clear why it took Arwen such a long time to make up her mind. For one thing, her father set such impossible conditions for her marrying Aragorn that the whole thing looked hopeless. Since betrothals in LoTR seem to be as binding as actual marriages, by betrothing herself to Aragorn in Lorien Arwen was cutting herself off from all other men (or elves) and risking perpetual virginity - or steriilty, or solitude or however you want to put it. For another thing, by marrying Aragorn she will lose her immortality. That's a pretty terrifying prospect. Moreover, she will die instead of going to Valinor. and so be cut off from her father and kindred for all eternity. It takes a tremendous love and dedication to accept all this for Aragorn's sake. Arwen ITM may be able to kick Nazgul ass on a borrowed pony, but morally she's not worth a dime in comparison with the book version.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2006 10:24
)Wow,
I liked how you tackled that subject Fatty Bolger, very impressive! But I have to argue: The reason why the Aragorn and Arwen relationship fell apart was from pressure. If you remeber, Elrond was pressuring Aragorn to give up Arwen :'She belongs with her people" "I will not leave my daughter here to die".... and Aragorn ended up yielding and it was over, but not from Arwen, she kpet hoping everything was going to be ok, even though she did give in when her father wanted her to go to the havens (the whole Aragorn dying and bleak future must have scared her ). But she came back when she saw a vision of their son.

And, I think Aragorn was trying to be firendly with Eowyn. I didn't see any signs that he was interested in her.
Fattybolger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2006 02:42
'Trying to be friendly' is putting it mildly IMO. Movie Eowyn can hardly be blamed if she thought she was getting strong come-on signals. Whereas book Eowyn gets no encouragement whatsoever from Aragorn and that's what drives her desperate. It also makes it credible that she should fall for Faramir, who does show every sign of being enamoured of her. (As well as being more sexy than fifty Aragorns IMHO.)

Of course, it's easy for a cad to say to a woman he wants to dump, 'Oh, I never meant any of it seriously, I was just being friendly.' And of course it does depend how you understand 'being friendly'. At least you can say in favour of movie Aragorn that he didn't actually seduce Eowyn, who judging from appearances might have been a push-over (literally).

As for movie Arwen, is that all the romantic moral fibre she can display? If a Great Love isn't capable of withstanding a little pressure from Papa, how Great is it?
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2006 01:02
As for movie Arwen, is that all the romantic moral fibre she can display? If a Great Love isn't capable of withstanding a little pressure from Papa, how Great is it?

From your point, not great. I think PJ should have worked on it or kept it orginal to the book. I think the whole Aragorn and Arwen breaking up deal is kind of dumb. What is it's point anyway? :banghead:
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2006 06:01

Love isn't very hard to find...
But true love is...
Physical attraction has nothing to do with either okay?

I'm not sure that physical attraction has nothing to do with love. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
But then I'm fifteen, so I guess I don't know much about love.
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2006 12:14
Love doesn't really need a reason. It just is. I don't know if that's the best way to look at it, but that's what I think. Arwen and Aragorn apparently saw something they admired in each other and fell in love.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 04:40
That's a good reason why they liked each other, but I disagree that she gave him the cold shoulder, she wasn't interested in him...yet.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 08:18
The movies make it an annoyance. Screentime that could have been spent on good stuff, is spent on Arwen/Aragorn mush. And he completely obsesses about that stupid pendant. I mean what's so special about a little glowy weird-shaped necklace thing?
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2009 08:41
What's so good about the Evenstar Pendant?

Ok, first of all, the pendant is a symbol of Arwen's loyalty towards Aragorn. By giving him the necklace she is promising undying loyalty and sacrifice to him. Also it is a remembrance of her to Aragorn, and a symbol that he is taken.

Tolkien didn't really state why Aragorn and Arwen love each other, which is why their romance might be confusing, and from the books we just know they love each other. I think the movie made their relationship a little more clearer.

In my opinion, Arwen and Aragorn's romance together is very sweet, and they belong with each other. :love:

[Edited on 23/7/2009 by crystalarwen]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email