Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
Post Costumes - Accessories & Props
on: May 17, 2004 11:19
Mod Note ... this thread is a combination of similiar ones from the GDI. Please discuss all non-sewing related costume crafting here ... thanks .

[Edited on 5/18/2004 by Goldsand]

Edit 2 : this thread is for discussion on costume accessories other than:
- weapons (see individual thread for Bows etc.)
- armour, mail, shields (see thread for this)
- jewellery (see its own thread)
- Fellowship cloak brooch/pin (see its own thread)

Feel free to discuss here:
- belts
- elf/hobbit ears
- bags
- staffs, walking sticks ... etc.

[Edited on 21/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Costumes - Accessories & Props
on: May 17, 2004 11:22
I’ve been reading all your posts and the advice you have all given and thought every one sounded relatively crafty and may be able to help me with my concept. Please, If you don’t mind, I can use a little advice/help.

I have decided that for this year’s “Dragon Con” I am going as a Dragon and my partner is going as a Mage.

I have designed this costume in my head and am now having trouble conceptualizing it. Maybe because I am have a lot of trouble finding sequined spandex material or sequins by the yard that I can adapt to a Bustier and Boy Pants.

My wings I have decided to use modeling cover coat, but have yet to figure out how to attach them, any suggestions? The Cover coat will allow them to be relatively light and transparent.

I have decided that my spine and tail will attach to the crest of the wing's at my shoulders...? I'm not sure how.

I am going to use long spandex gloves so I can easily attach the elbow spines and use artist paint and sew sequins on them.

I am making the head from screen and paper-Mache for weight and texture.

Does anyone know where I can get body paint in bluegreen color? I plan on using body glitter also so I was thinking I may want to use airbrushing.

My final question....Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can do my feet...remember I will be walking around in this all day....I had thought about adapting platforms with paper-Mache because I would have to lift my foot to walk and they would stay relatively flat.

Ok, thank you, any help would be great.

Topaz Dragon

coastie
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:24
i want to start carving a pipe fashioned like on in lotr but need some help. any pointers from anyone would be helpful.
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:26
I've never carved anything, but I made a pipe to go with my Frodo costume out of sculpey clay. I got the idea for how to make it look from the "The Pipe Room". They have some awesome LOTR pipes. Follow the link below to view their pipes. It can give you some good ideas on how you want yours to look.

http://www.thepiperoom.com/pipes/MacQueen/macqueen.html
coastie
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:27
thanks
Thalianost
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:33
pipes need to be made of clay
Visit my Etsy Shop: The Tower of Or and Sable
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:34
I once attemped making one but then I cut myself and decided to stop :blush:
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:37
pipes need to be made of clay

Pipes can be made of clay OR wood. My guess is that the wood is treated with something. To see some wonderful wooden pipes, check out the link I posted previously!
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:59
I know I'm a bit early with this question, but does anyone know where I can get non-latex ears? I'm extremely allergic, if I were to wear the halloween store kind, my ears would burn and scar. :angry: I've seen sites, such as alleyscratch that have instructions on making ears, but alas, one of the main ingredients is latex. So that's a no-go.
Can anyone help me? They don't have to be Elf-elf, they just have to look elven.
HELP! :cry::cry::cry:

[Edited on 17/4/2004 by Elistariel]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 12:01
I don't know what the ingredients of the stuff are, but I know you can get a sort of putty that you can mould into shapes. It might be kinda tricky to do your own ears, but I'm sure you could, or find a friend who'll help. Again, though, that might be latex based, I've no idea.
Kiss
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 04:31
Hi Elistariel, in their section "All about ears" alleycatscratch do have some instructions for making gelatin ears, nose putty ears and ears from stuff such as craft foam and band-aids.
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 12:02
I can't do that either. The cost of supplies alone isn't going to work. Also, one of the main ingredients is latex... :cry:
Gimli_and_Gollum
Superdwarf
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 12:44
I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on how to make Gimli's helmet. I just can't think of a way to do it.
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 12:17
Well, Elistariel, are the Halloweenish type a complete ear or simply the pointy top, because I know you are able to simply buy a smaller part of the ear which can be glued upon your own ear in some weird way, but of course I don't know if they're made of latex or not....
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 06:14
Well, Elistariel, are the Halloweenish type a complete ear or simply the pointy top, because I know you are able to simply buy a smaller part of the ear which can be glued upon your own ear in some weird way, but of course I don't know if they're made of latex or not....

those are made of latex as well. If only I could find some vinyl ones... GRAAARGH! :angry:
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 11:50
Here is a new article on a different way of making elven ears .
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 11:18
Goldsand -- thank you!

What an incredibly simple, brilliant idea! Even given that the permanent "ear-bobs" work the same way, it hadn't occured to me to just break out the glue -- thank you!!

Arwen~of~Lothlorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 01:08
Gimli_and_Gollum: Try looking at the Stitchin' Babes site. I believe one of the women there dressed up as Gimli and gave instruction on the site as to how she did it. Also, another girl once made a helmet (though not Gimli) using a baseball cap (without the bill) as a base, then papier-mached it and decorated it. You could do something like this with a stiff fabric or strong paper as the sides. Hope it helps!
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 06:51
I made a Frodo costume that I'm recycling this year. My favorite parts of it was the Ring and Sting. The Ring I made out of a wooden wheel, customized to fit on my finger. Its chain is made out of paper clips. Sting I was able to actually make glow! I placed a pocket flashlight in a hilt that I made and secured the blace on top of it. I left a little lever coming out of the pummel to turn it on and off. It makes a nice glow. Right now, I'm fixing up my mithril by making a real shirt of metal rings. It's looking good.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 04:23
I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on how to make Gimli's helmet. I just can't think of a way to do it.

I dont know wether or not you still need help with this or not but I'll respond anyway

I made the Gimli helmet for a friend of mine ...I used a plastic bowl that was just a little bigger than the head in question, I got all the detaily bits of some links on the alleycatscratch costume site and printed those of and photocopied them a number of times so that I couls make them raised in certain areas.

The neck bit was made from Cardboard and joined with leather thonging and then glued on the back for stability, the top decoration was done in wood

I might have a few pictures somewhere ..PM me if you would like me to e-mail them to you
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 07:04
Now I have a question. I'm re-making my Frodo costume this year, and I need fabric for my Elven cloak! I've already checked out other websites, but I would really like to ask you people. Do you know anyplace in New Jersey, Freehold area where they sell fabric somewhat close to the material used in the movie? I don't want exact, I just need something that'll stretch, is somewhat see-through, and can stretch a little? Please? I'm desperate!!!!!! :feedback:
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2004 09:51
I'm looking for some way to make a duplicate of Elrond's circlet (tiara-thingy) to wear with my Celebrian costume. Any assistanace is appreciated; I can't afford the Noble Collection version....
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: October 07, 2004 08:42
Well, if you can't get your hand on some metal or a way to bend it nicely, how about lino, or any of that sort of stiff, flexible stuff they put on floors? Draw the pattern out flat and then cut it out and stick it together. This is probably the safest method to use if you're going to be outside and it looks like rain.

Or you could do it out of good old card covered with papier mache, which is probably easier and will give a thinner result that looks more like metal. You could make the several overlapping strands and even put the little dints in the papier mache when it's still wet. I'd recommend maybe just one or two layers of newspaper covered with one or two of tissue paper (white or grey is good because it means you won't have to use so much silver paint to cover up the newsprint). If you make all the interweaving sections separately then stick the together afterwards it'll look really good, though you need to be careful not to let the glue show.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2004 11:40
I'm looking for some way to make a duplicate of Elrond's circlet (tiara-thingy) to wear with my Celebrian costume. Any assistanace is appreciated; I can't afford the Noble Collection version....

You could always make it out of bake and bend.. Or some sort of air drying clay stuff over a metal ( coat hanger ) frame

Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 08:27
Well, if you can't get your hand on some metal or a way to bend it nicely,

it's the bending it nicely that's the difficulty. I got hold of some aluminum wire that's a heavy enough gauge, but can't get it to bend smoothly. It gets kinks all in it. *sigh* I'm not too good with papier-mache, either. In fact, I guess I'm not very good with my hands at all. *sigh*
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 06:17
it's the bending it nicely that's the difficulty. I got hold of some aluminum wire that's a heavy enough gauge, but can't get it to bend smoothly. It gets kinks all in it. *sigh* I'm not too good with papier-mache, either. In fact, I guess I'm not very good with my hands at all. *sigh*

Experiment with different ways of shaping it.. you'll soon find a way that works
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 09:35
Okay, guys, I didn't get a circlet made, but the rest of the outfit came together nicely. I debuted Celebrian at our local SF/F convention yesterday. I won a hall costume award, entered the masquerade competition, and won BEST OF SHOW! Here are some pix. Hope you like. I'm not gorgeous, but the costume is!

First pic

Second pic

Third pic

[Edited on 10/18/2004 by Goldsand]
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 12:12
Ooh what a beautiful costume Eldirn ... the fabric is sumptuous, and I love the colors (which brings out the gorgeousness you already have). Nice detail on the neckline too.
Congratulations on the award as well - you earned it .
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 04:31
Hannon le, Goldsand! I had a wonderful time and got many compliments; I felt very very beautiful and Elvish all day.

The intent was for Celebrian to have council robes corresponding to Elrond's, so the colors were as they appeared in the movie, and the embroidery is the same pattern, recreated from still photos and with the help of the alleycatscratch folks as well. The tunic is made of dupioni silk, as was the actual tunic in the movie, so everything is very authentic. I deliberately chose to do the embroidery with copper thread instead of silver, just to make it a little bit different. I did NOT do a tulip-petal hemline; that is more appropriate to male attire, so that they can move more. I felt that Celebrian would go with more of a standard dress-like tunic.

I don't have a brocade collar or cuffs, which I may add later; I also don't have the burnout design on the sleeves and shoulders of the robe. I'll probably try to recreate that using fabric paint, as my robe is synthetic stretch velvet and I don't think the burnout chemicals work on that.

I was rather startled when I came out on stage, because immediately, flashbulbs started going off everywhere. I guess people really liked it.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 10:13
How did that costume turn out? :disco:

(and sorry, it doesn't look like I'll be able topost any pics. My scanner's not working correctly right now. I'll try, but it might be a while.)
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 08:15
I won Best of Show in the costume competition!

If you look on the 1st page of this thread, there are some links to piccies of me in my costume!

Good luck to you with yours!
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 08:52
Oooh, nice costume. The second pic was blurry, but I loved the look. Very nice! :disco:
Ellwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 03:45
Eldirn - You look so wonderful in that costume! The details you put into it really show. ahh.....one day I will have an elvish outfit that nice.....one....day..... :drool:
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 04:55
I thank you both. I wish the woman IN the costume was prettier, but there it is.
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 02:27
I've seen a lot of interesting costumes on eBay.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email