Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Pads
Council Member
Send Message
Post Painting
on: May 18, 2004 09:32
I love to paint with acrylic colours, mostly abstract painting (you can see one of my pictures here).

Now I wanted to know if anyone of you is into acrylic painting, just to exchange ideas, inspirations etc.

And I have another question, I have an idea about writing a poem with black edding on the canvas and cover it with different colours and things like that. The problem is that I haven't found a suitable poem yet. I want something quite short. So maybe if one of you has any ideas, could you please tell me?
Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Painting
on: May 18, 2004 09:56
try looking at the poems section in Elron's Library. there's some good short ones there. otherwise googlise for poet communities
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 11:03
Good idea Eruvyreth_Himiel .

Let's please stay on topic though about painting so that the thread doesn't stray off into different directions .
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 11:39
I don't mind acrylics if I'm painting small areas or animals but I hate using it for anything large as it dries too fast even with a retardant added, plus it wrecks your brushes. I'm not too confident with paints full stop really, more of a drawing person, but having said that I'm in the process of teaching myself to use watercolour paint.

I do like your painting though, you seem very confident with paint.

Fhêndil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 12:31
I use acrylics for painting pet-portraits and such stuff, not very big ones, but I prefer quadratic canvas (but that's just me). About cleaning brushes, it is easy to clean these with simple soap (together with your hands ) The more expensive brushes I use, have a special film, so that they get a stiff point again after drying, if you clean these with turpentine, this film gets lost. With soap, also the brush hair stays supple. I think I can say that I am also more a drawing than a painting person

[Edited on 19/5/2004 by Fhêndil]
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 03:31
I luv acrylics--well I've actually never tried anything other than them but I heard that oil is a bit messy--anyone try painting with oil paints stuff?
I just did a painting of Peter Pan for a friend and I was just doin swirls of blue and black and white to get a cool background. It turned out pretty nice actually-the key thing if the acrylics are not blending well-just a bit of water to get that smooth look. Just a little thing if anyone is thinking of trying that
Divinity
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 04:05
I like acrylics too. I'm also more of a drawing person. I mainly draw people. I'm not really good at animals. I LOVE painting walls. My art class at our school are painting one of the walls in the hall and it looks great so far . It's a combination of squares triangles and circles.
Adanethian
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 04:19
I rarely use acrylics---I've tried them only once, because they're quite expensive and I don't have enough allowance to buy them. I like using watercolors and watercolor pencils anyway, they're quite a fun medium to use. But, most of the time I only draw in black and white with a pencil. I like drawing people, trees, flowers and landscapes; I rarely draw anything else.
siona_colleen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 09:20
well i must say that i have :heart: loved using acrylics for about 15 years now, i find that it is a very versatile medium that i can mix with watercolor and also create very good scenery paintings.. however, i draw people and paint scenes,,, it seems too tedious to do the opposite but i hope one day to do it both ways... i love to do pencil portraits and have even sold a few... i also like to use watercolor pencils and find that since i am comfortable with drawing pics that they help me do some people if i do not need too much close up detail.... do you like to illustrate the books you read? i find that i alway have images in my head that i have to get onto paper and i love to illustrate the books and short stories that i read..... Blessings!!!
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2004 11:22
I find that acrylics are a bit harder to work with than oil. They dry much too fast for my tastes, but I love to use them. I've been working with them for a few years but I'm still not as good as I'd like to be with them. Any tips for a beginning acrylics painter?

Peace~
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 06:49
I find that acrylics are a bit harder to work with than oil. They dry much too fast for my tastes, but I love to use them. I've been working with them for a few years but I'm still not as good as I'd like to be with them. Any tips for a beginning acrylics painter?

Peace~

Well as you said acrylics dry a bit fast so if you want them to dry a bit slower maybe add a bit of water--not too much though because if u add too much the color gets distorted and runny and all. Uh....hmm....well...oh..don't leave the paints out for too long on ur palet because small amounts of acrylics dry pretty fast but if you keep mixing them they last longer...uh...and they definetly are expensive...don't know much more lol--hope I was helpful
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 10:45
Acrylics are way easy to work with! Their better than oils because you can complete a painting in just a couple of hours, and I find them easyer to work with. Also I can't stand the smell of oils! :dizzy: lol. But everyones an individual, and find different tecniques and materials easyer to work with than others.
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 10:50
Mod note ... this topic originally under thread titled "Oil Paints" has been combined into this thread.

hey anyone ever tried this media? I was thinking about trying it but my mom said that they are really messy-any tips or hints or stuff??

[Edited on 6/7/2004 by Goldsand]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 10:53
Yes, they are messy and smell up the place to boot. But they dry slower than acrylics do. I use oils mostly for detailed work that would usually take weeks to do. If you plan on painting with oils, make sure you have a can of turpentine to clean the brushes with after every use. If you don't, the paint will dry and will make the brushes hard and useless, but you don't have to clean them right away. Because the paint dries so slowly, keeping them in a jar of turpentine usually keeps them until you wash them out.

About washing the brushes out, using only soap and water will not clean them properly. I recommend buying a jar of FastOrange to cut the grease and paint that builds up at the end of the brushes. You can find it at any hardware stores. Of course, other strong soaps will work but I've only ever used that particular brand of soap so I don't know what else is out there on the market.

As for using a pallet, I usually use an old magazine to mix my paints up on. Some artists just use a piece of wood or a plastic pallet that you can pick up at any art store. I also keep a small jar full of linseed oil beside me when I paint. Linseed oil usually makes the oil paints thicken even more and when they dry, it gives off a glossy finish that gives the painting a nice effect.

Hope that helps.
Peace~
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 10:54
Ah ... oils. I did an oil painting of a Rhodesian Ridgeback for my mum on mother's day. It turned out well, despite my worries.

Yes, they do smell a lot - but then, I'm one of those people who has a thing for chemical smells, and oils are one of my favourites *I am constantly looking out of the window to see if the men in white coats are coming down the road.* Seriously, though, they really are a wonderful medium to work with.

When it comes to cleaning, I agree with Legolas {Greenleaf} - turpentine *or white spirit, as I tend to use* are the best things for using when it comes to oil painting - just be careful with it, though, because it's not nice stuff to get on your hands *I have ecsma on my hands, so it agrivates it when spirit gets to them.* And it can also damage carpets, so be warned...

There are special water-soliable oils that you can buy, which only require quite warm water and soap to clean brushes - my friend had some, though, in Art, and she was constantly going to the sink downstairs to clean the brushes, so they can be a pain...

Lindir
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 07:30
Hi,
I work exclusively in oils and have for nearly 30 years. You can see some of my paintings in the members art section.

You don't have to use turpentines and other harsh chemicals with oils. All you need is some linseed oil to thin the paints. I soak my brushes in cooking oil and wash with soap and water when I'm done for the day. The smell is from the turps. Actually turpentine destroys your brushes. You can also learn how to work in a method called alla prima and finish your painting in one sitting if you so desire. That is just one technique. Other techniques involve layering and spending a long time on a piece, but you can compensate by working on more than one painting while you wait for the other to dry. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them. I wrote an article in fan art too that you might be interested in.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2004 06:44
I've never tried oils before... but I hear they take ages to dry and I'm just not patient enough for that

When it comes to painting I pretty much stick with acrylics as I'm used to them now
Nessa_Telemnar_of_Doriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2004 09:31
Watercolours all the way!
:love: I love watercolours and watercolour pencils. :love:

I do use acrylics when I'm painting on things other than paper, like on pieces of wood and M.D.F.
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 09:26
Usually when I paint (I only have acrylic) it's on small pieces of paper and I tend to use a lot of water. So maybe I should try watercolors...
Veky
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:27
I didn't see here topic: some drawings, so I'm posting in some paintins (although it's a drawing, but i din't want to open new topic)

I know the colors aren't very realistic but I had need to use purple. LOL

What do you say?
algened93
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:27
it's so great!! i love it. keep draw!
(i like the purple color.)
drspin98
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:28
Nice! I like the mist/clouds near the back.
parabola_weed
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:28
ooo ^^ paint is really fun and it's relaxing as well ^o^

o_o I'm currently doing a self portrait painting for school and my techer wants it done by the 21 >o<
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:33
Hi I`m new here... and would like to share some of my Artwork with you ...

http://greensap.deviantart.com/#/d30upr2
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
I love your pictures and their details and colours! You're talented
Council Member
Send Message
So sorry! Gwenniel for not replying sooner, I`m afraid I was locked out, my password and user-name, would not work, so I`ve had to re-register under Boomhohum2, it was the only way to reply,... so thank you very much for your kind comment, I love to try, and tell the story through my paintings...after all, I`m just filtering Mr Tolkiens story through my own experience, as we all do. That`s why we all have our own ideal versions of his work, in our heads, and maybe add little, to the over all picture, of LOTR...
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:34
First of all welcome to the COE.

Oh WOW! Your artwork is beyond words! You have such great use of colour, and perception, and have used very powerful angles. Congrats!

What paint do you use for them by the way?

-Chris
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email