Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post ROTK Sequence by Sequence #13: The Coronation / The Grey Havens
on: May 28, 2004 04:53
This is the end... My only friend the end.... But have no fear, there's stil the EE

Anyway, caps for this wonderful last Sequence can be found in our Gallery: Crowning of the King / Hobbiton and Grey Havens / Credits.

Points of interest (and people PLEASE dare to step out of line! Make up new things! Be innovative! :love
- The fluffy mushy Frodo-recovers-from-nasty-adventure scene: you didn't like that, did you?
- Did you like the coronation? What did you like about it, what would you have changed...?
- Return to Hobbiton: would you still want to add the Scouring? Wasn't Sam's wedding the cutest thing?
- The Grey Havens: were they as you expected? Did you miss something or someone? Did you cry (yes you did!)?
- Did you like the credits? Which one did you like best?

And of course, what's your favorite part?
Minyalhawwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: ROTK Sequence by Sequence #13: The Coronation / The Grey Havens
on: May 28, 2004 06:06
Aww...Don't remind me of the Grey Havens scene *tears up* I didn't cry the first time I watched it on the DVD but I wanted to. I was soooo sad that it was ending! Pus I didn't want the Elves to leave Oh yeah, poor Sam lol But I still missed the Elves lol. Then when Sam closes the door in the last shot...I really wanted to sob! It was a beautiful ending to a wonderful movie journey. *Sigh* Now I've depressed myself lol :cry:
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 10:16
This was a hard choice to make! I picked the Grey Havens in the end (without the benefit of the DVD, which has to wait for the weekend).

- The fluffy mushy Frodo-recovers-from-nasty-adventure scene: you didn't like that, did you?

Nice at first. But it went on, and on, and on ... Pretty cinematography. Lovely elf prince.

- Did you like the coronation? What did you like about it, what would you have changed...?

I wanted a more confident Aragorn by that point, with no hint left that he had ever worried about this moment. But I'll give any of that up for the singing. Wow!

- Return to Hobbiton: would you still want to add the Scouring? Wasn't Sam's wedding the cutest thing?

Yes, I do still want the Scouring. But I understand that it would be too much for nonbook readers, perhaps. The wedding was cute indeed, but not a highlight for me.

- The Grey Havens: were they as you expected? Did you miss something or someone? Did you cry (yes you did!)?

I hadn't stopped crying, so, yes, I cried! I liked the Grey Havens as it was in the film.

Adored them! Stayed for them every time! I liked Frodo the best, but was amused by the choices for the nonactors as well.
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 10:35
Oh my gosh no! It was annoying! There is something about the way Frodo says that "Gaaandalf" that cracks me up every time. Then theres the "inside joke" between Frodo and Gandalf where they both start laughing and Frodo does a poor Santa Clause impression. (I swear his laugh sounds like it. "Oh ho ho ho ho" *rolls eyes*) Then Legolas walks in looking more gay then ever- so fruity! Yeah- I found it very annoying.

- Did you like the coronation? What did you like about it, what would you have changed...? I loved the coronation! It was amazingly done! The only thing I would have changed? I would have had Frodo give Gandalf the crown to put on Aragorn- like in the books. I would have also had a longer shot of Faramir! :drool: He looked so good! *drools and swoons*

I like the Scouring, but for this movie I really don't think it would have worked very well and wouldn't have had the same effect it had in the books. So yes, I would say, for a movie adaptation of the books, I was pleased with the results. Sam and Rose make a great couple- and his kids are so cute!!

- The Grey Havens: were they as you expected? Did you miss something or someone? Did you cry (yes you did!)? I actally didn't cry- I only cried during Faramir's suicide ride, when Denethor told him he wanted him dead, and when Denethor tried to burn him and Faramir opens his eyes... I thought they Grey Havens was alright- though I think they should have mentioned Gandalf's ring, and shown Cirdan more.

- Did you like the credits? Which one did you like best? Take a wild guess! Yeah- the one where they showed a pic of Faramir for David Wenham...
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 11:03
In regard to the fluffy Fellowship reunion, was I the only one who full on expected to see Gimli jump on that bed? I don't even really know why, but the first time I watched it I just started cracking up because it looked like he was going to bounce on the bed with the rest of the hobbits.

Other than that, I am pretty indifferent toward that scene. I amuse myself by watching the faces Merry and Pippin pull, but other than that it really doesn't stick out for me.

The coronation, on the other hand... With that first sweeping shot up the mountain to where the coronation is taking place, I am already in tears. I'm not sure what it is about this scene that makes me cry so hard, but it sure works pretty well. I love seeing everybody shiny and happy and dirt-free (especially Eomer! That boy does clean up nicely, doesn't he?). The Aragorn/Arwen kiss gives me warm fuzzies. Elrond makes me want to give him a hug. I adore the let's-all-bow-to-the-hobbits bit. The way Aragorn says, "My friends...!" Okay, this part is cheesy to the max, but I still love it.

As for the return to Hobbiton... I ADORE their costumes. That is probably my favourite part about them riding in to town. The bar sequences makes me cry. A lot. And then giggle at Sam. And at that ridiculous face that Merry makes. Okay, it is even making me giggle just thinking about it. I like Sam's wedding, but I think that some of the non-book-reading audience is going, "Who is Rosie again?" Oh well. It is cute. The cutting of the Scouring didn't really bother me that much. Yes, it is an important part of the story, but I think the film flows much nicer without it.

The part of the Grey Havens that always stands out the most for me is Pippin's scarf. It is very amusing and very distracting. The rest of the scene is of course great... A part of me kind of wishes that everybody had known about Frodo leaving before hand, and a part of me likes the way they are surprised in the film. At any rate, it provides lots of opportunity for teary hobbits, which is sheer cinema gold.

Finally, Sam returning home... I actually picked this as my favourite part. I really like Frodo's voice over here; I think it is very appropriate and well-placed. I'm kind of upset that Sam isn't living at Bag End, but then he does have a very lovely little home and the growing Gamgee family is nothing short of adorable. I think it was a nice note to end the film on, and I always find myself smiling here.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 01:19
Did not read the other reactions, to get my vision clear .

To be frankly: it bored me a little. Why all the laughing for about 1 minute or so? Why were the hobbits jumping around on that bed? He was recovering ! B.t.w. I asked myself over and over why everyone was surrounding him, but he did not even give a hint to Sam, his true partner in crime, servant and saviour, to enjoy the little bed-party. I still could not find an answer, though... . I would like to see Frodo get out of bed, look to Minas Tirith while it was build up again. That would have make sense, explain why he was out of bed at the time of the coronation. It was a nice scene, but way too long.

I liked this. I still am not sure why Gimli handed over the crown, but I liked it. Perhaps the speech of Aragorn could be more powerful, like "well, the dark forces destroyed our country, but we are going to build it again". I thought it was a bit of a soft speech, compared to his powerful speech at the Black Gate.
I liked the "here is Arwen" part. Arwen's unsure face behind the banner, Elrond whispering to her to go to him, Aragorn's surprise, the prowd faces of all the Elves when she goes to him and the smiling Elves... I did not know Elves could smile só cute :love: and I thought that, although they can make fun, it usually is a bit of sarcastic fun, laughing about someone instead of an expression of true feelings. And Legolas in his party-outfit... :drool: .
In the part when they bow for the Hobbits, I like to see the face of Merry. Like "finally we get some credits for what happens", like a conquerer. It is just a flash, but it is there . And the old lady who stands directly on the left (or right, when watching the screen), isn't she the old woman who works in the Houses of Healing?

No, I still would not add it. It would take too long and I am sure Saruman will have his end somewhere in the EE movie .
I liked the way the hobbits returned to Hobbiton. The same grumpy old hobbit who dared to laugh with Gandalf's fireworks in FotR, was still grumpy, even without his wife . Also the change in the hobbits was very nice. From almost fugitives in FotR, sneaking off in the night to get to Bree, they returned as warriors, adventurers in the line of Bilbo. Lovely to see.
About Sam's wedding, I liked the part in the Green Dragon more. Nothing changed in Hobbiton, only they did and that was very clear to see. The looks on the faces of Frodo, Merry and Pippin with the suggestion of Sam's actions were great. I would have liked to see a bit of a wedding party, get back in a hobbit's life.
Sam's innocence (and maybe sillyness? but then in a kind way) and rely on Frodo is very clear when he enters Bag End and he asks Frodo what is going on. I mean... Frodo has to explain that the wound never has healed.

I liked it. The details were good, Cirdan was standing there.... even Celeborn fitted in the whole picture.
I found a picture of the Grey Havens by John Howe >>here<<.
Bilbo bowing for the Elves, he still has good manners, even at his age, the invitation from Elrond, the smile on Galadriel's face (like my avatar)... wow.
Gandalf's goodbye words were só touching. Frodo's goodbye words were só touching. Even Sam's disbelief ("You don't mean that") was só touching... The ship fading away in the evening sun... I cried my heart out:cry: while I am not a cry baby at all, especially not with movies.
I liked Sam returning home and saying "Well, I am back". He walks into the house with Rosie and the kids and now it is his time to grow.

You mean the drawings? I liked them all.

snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 02:55
I liked it. The details were good, Cirdan was standing there.... even Celeborn fitted in the whole picture.

Unless I'm much mistaken, didn't Celeborn stay behind when Galadriel left from the Havens? I remember it bugged me that he was there in the film, at any rate (although I am a Marton Csokas fan, probably due to watching too much Xena).
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 03:38
-the fluffy mushy Frodo-recovers-from-nasty-adventure scene: you didn't like that did you? - Oh yes I did. (And I'll take another bowl of hobbit-mush, please...) Am I the only one? I thought the bed-bouncing was in keeping with their hobbit nature, expressing their joy in natural, open, child-like way. They're not stuffy at least. I didn't care, however, for the way Frodo said, "Gandalf". It sounded odd. Too drawn out. But give me a choice between the book version and the movie and I'll take the book.

did you like the coronation? - yes,but....Faramir should have played a bigger role. He was the new Steward after all. I wanted to see him surrendering his office and proclaiming Aragorn as king. I didn't understand Gimli's part in it. Otherwise, lovely scene, everyone joyous and happy and cleaned-up. I love the, "my friends, you bow to no one," part, the wonderment on the hobbits faces as the entire court bows to them.

Return to Hobbiton - I badly wanted a closer look at the hobbits new, rich-looking attire. Liked the smug looks on their faces as they rode in to Hobbiton...returning as warriors and heroes. And the new bold Sam going up to Rosie in The Green Dragon. The wedding was sweet, Sam looked so happy. I liked the part where Pippin catches the bouquet and eyes the hobbit-lass next to him. I would be interested in seeing the Scouring of the Shire, but I think you would have lost the audience by then.

The Grey Havens - I loved the part where Frodo leans his head against Bilbo on the way there. Did I cry? Oddly, no. By this time, I'm so emotionally drained. I find the scene very calming and peaceful. It's only when I think about it afterwards that I tear up, not during. In fact, I'm starting to cry now...:cry: My favorite part is Frodo hugging and kissing Sam. Not too much, not too little, just right.

Sam and Rosie should have been living in Bag-End!!!

Did you like the credits? - yes, very lovely drawings of all the characters. I liked Frodo and Faramir best.

"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
elvishgal
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 07:52
I absolutely love the grey havens scene....it was soo beautiful the boat and the sunset..and of course the havens itself...but it was sad..just think if we were living in that age..it'd bee soo sad to see the elves go....
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 10:19

Unless I'm much mistaken, didn't Celeborn stay behind when Galadriel left from the Havens? I remember it bugged me that he was there in the film, at any rate (although I am a Marton Csokas fan, probably due to watching too much Xena).
In the book, he did indeed. He dwelt in ME for a long time after Galadriel departed. That is why I said that *even* he fitted in the picture, while he should not be there.

I do not know why he is leaving. Maybe for the non-bookreaders (so the script-writers did not have to explain why he was left behind), maybe because of reasons like "happy family", I do not know. It did not bug me.
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 10:28

Not that much. As somebody has already said, it is nice to watch in the beginning, but then it drags on and on...
Probably too much happiness for me. Or I simply couldn't take the saccharine.

Oh, that scene was wonderful! I was especially fond of Aragorn's characterization: his reluctant smile when Gandalf puts the crown on his head, his speech about sharing in the times of peace... I think he came across more human and more caring and less aloof than in the book. Well, the "my friends, you bow to no one" bit is mushy, but who cares?
These hobbits deserve all honours they can get.

I'd rather have seen the Scouring than a dozen cute hobbit weddings. I'm still angry at PJ for leaving that one out. :angry: The scene in the Green Dragon Inn is very nice and relaxed, but the wedding - mush, mush, mush!

Where was Círdan? Where was Gandalf's ring? And Elrond's?
Again, the scene was too short - but the parting made a very poignant impression on me. And yes, I did cry. A lot. Even the third time I saw it. :sob:

The drawings in the credit were quite beautiful, each and every one of them. I wish I could draw like that! I liked this idea of giving us even special credits as a kind of farewell present. (I think I started to cry again. )

[Edited on 29/5/2004 by Aervir]
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 02:17
Ahh...possibly my favourite sequence.
The Fellowship reunited
Call me mushy and sentimental, but I loved it. I was even crying happy tears! I love the light of the scene too...this set was just how I pictured it!
The Coronation
Could this scene be any better? I think not. Aragorn did look very smashing, I loved Gimli being the "crownbearer" and Gandalf crowning Aragorn of course. Loved the white petals falling - not really sure where they came from but it was beautiful all the same! I liked Arwen and the elves, and the look on Elrond's face was utterly perfect! And "You bow to no one" - again, call me mushy, but I just broke down here! :sob: But I do think that Eomer looked nice in his kingly coat.. Oh and Eowyn and Faramir! Eowyn and Faramir! Oh and Aragorn singing! *melts*
Return to the Shire
Is it just me, or did the Shire look even more amazingly beautiful at the end than at the beginning? I am actually very happy that they left out the Scouring of the Shire. Yes, it does change things significantly, and I do love it to death in the book, but for all the non-bookies who complained about the length of the ending, can you imagine what they would have been saying if the scouring was there? PJ, Fran and Phillippa definately did the right thing, because it just wouldn't fit in the movie. Anyway, loooove the Green Dragon scene - it's amazing how one short scene, with no dialogue in it, can be so incredibly meaningful and moving. And Sam's wedding was gorgeous! Especially Pippin catching the bouquet! *melts at that smile* And Frodo's lines back in Bag End were beautifully written ("How do you pick up the threads of an old life....".
The Grey Havens
Needless to say, this was where the tears were heaviest. The writing, the set, the music, everything was utterly beautiful. Nice to see Bilbo again. I love that the hobbits had that extra pony there for Frodo on the return journey! *sniff* Sir Ian is magnificent here; when he says one of my favourite lines from the book, "I will not say do not weep for not all tears are an evil." even on my 8th viewing I was sobbing! And the four hobbits - wow. Elijah especially, but all of them...oh it's just too much! Even now on DVD it's hard to restrain myself from crying! And as the ship sails off into the sunset...
Sam comes home
What else can I say about this final scene other than that I am just so happy that they ended it the same way. Perfect. And the number 3 on the letter box just makes it more special.
Credits
When the words "The End" appeared on screen, all hopes of leaving the cinema semi-composed were dashed. I cried my way through the credits, and the beautiful drawings. It was a nice little farewell gift as Aervir said.

All in all, the perfect end. How long till the EE?!:sob:
sarumans_wolf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 03:00
I liked the crowning of Aragorn. I sobbed when they bowed to the Hobbits and Arwen was just as I imagined her. It was great.
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 04:19
The fluffy mushy Frodo-recovers-from-nasty-adventure scene: you didn't like that, did you? - Yeah I did

Did you like the coronation? What did you like about it, what would you have changed...? - I loved the coronation, Aragorn's song and escpecially when everyone bow to the Hobbits

Return to Hobbiton: would you still want to add the Scouring? Wasn't Sam's wedding the cutest thing? - I likes their return though I would have loved it if the Scouring had been there. And yes Sam's wedding was sweet

The Grey Havens: were they as you expected? Did you miss something or someone? Did you cry (yes you did!)? - I dont really know what I expected for the Grey Havens so I is happy with what was there. Didn't really miss anyone or anything. Nope, no crying

Did you like the credits? Which one did you like best? - I dont know I was to busy listening to the song

Fav part????.............Prolly when everyone bows to the Hobbits.............

Anfauglir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 06:40
eh...not really my cup to tea. Merry flopping back on the bed was cute though.
That is my favorite sceen in the entire trilogy now. Aragorn's song was perfect. Not oeverdone, not underdone. I liked Arwen's reactions and the standard...nice to know that PJ adds small details to make us book lovers happy Aragorn's line of "My friends, you bow to no one" started the water works for me. Merry's flash of smugness was brilliant!
The Scouring would have just been too long. All of the hobbits were so cute and hero-ish. The Green Dragon was excellent. I loved how it made the viewer feel like the 4 hobibits were a bit out of place for a while, but then Sam's daring move with Rosie made it all better The wedding was...ehh...ok I guess. I'm not a big fan of weddings.
I cannot remeber a time when I cried that much over a movie. It was brilliantly done and there was no possible way for me to keep any semblence of composer when Frodo was saying his goodbyes. More little details like Gandalf's ring were a nice touch too.
-Did you like the credits? Which one did you like best?
That was a great idea. I loved them all.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 10:03
This is really a very beautiful sequence. Not my favourite (that would be 'The Charge of the Rohirrim' and 'Morannon/Cracks of Doom') but definitely one of the reasons why I couldn't wait to see 'The Return of the King' as soon as we got the DVD.

First of all I have to say that I love all the black screens. I was terrified of seeing it end, so while a lot of people found the ending a bit stretched, I simply couldn't get enough of it. Also, the first time I saw it was after the marathon and I was both physically (sitting down for almost 9 hours is not a good idea) and emotionally exhausted, so I cried with almost everything (even Sam kissing Rosie). I can watch it now without going all pathetic, but I still cry so much: when Sam enters Frodo's room, when Arwen giggles, when they all bow to the Hobbits, the scene in the Green Dragon (that is sooo sad), the entire Grey Havens scene and of course the end titles ('Into the West' makes me cry when I'm completely happy and hyper, so imagine what it does to me after sitting through all that pain and misery for three hours ).

The fluffy mushy Frodo-recovers-from-nasty-adventure scene: you didn't like that, did you?

I don't like the Mushy-Frodo-recovers-and-gets-jumped-on scene. It looked fake.
It starts out with 'Oh... that's not right', then Frodo looks at Gandalf in that cheesy way and next up Gandalf starts doing his much feared 'Happy Santa' imitation.
I could stand Merry and Pippin, they're sort of cute, but Gimli's definitely a psycho and Legolas and Aragorn... *shuts herself up out of fear for the fangirls*
I do adore Sam's look when he enters the room though.
And another thing: the lighting in this scene is very special, sort of a golden honey yellow kind of grading that was done. It reminded me a lot of the light in Rivendell after Frodo awakes there and especially when he sees Merry and Pippin again. I thought that was a nice parallel.

...it went on, and on, and on...
~Luthien_Telperien

Exactly what I was thinking! I was half-expecting Faramir, Éowyn, Éomer and Arwen to come sailing in too after Aragorn appeared – or Boromir, that would have been nice . It was just too much sugary stuff, and personally I think the mushy stuff was handled much better in other scenes (like the Sam & Frodo bits on Mount Doom).

I asked myself over and over why everyone was surrounding him, but he did not even give a hint to Sam, his true partner in crime, servant and saviour, to enjoy the little bed-party. I still could not find an answer, though...
~ Eruantalincë

Well, I think it's because Sam and Frodo might not be too comfortable around each other? I know it wasn't like that in the book, but the psychology of these characters was altered so drastically that we can't really say what 'should be' and what should not.
Personally, I loved that moment. You can see that Frodo is waiting for Sam, it's in his expression, and Sam looks a bit shy like he's not really sure if he's welcome but he just really wants to check on his master.
It's also a very touching moment because you can sense that something has fundamentally changed between them: the others seem to consider Frodo a real hero, and they're very glad to see he's alright. Sam knows a bit better, he knows what happened and he was there. That must have altered their relationship, even if only for a little while.
I might be way off the mark here, but I liked it.

Did you like the coronation? What did you like about it, what would you have changed...?

Yes I liked it, a lot even. Again, it wasn't like the book so I was sort of lost in these scene – but I think that's a good thing in this case, because when everyone bowed to the Hobbits I was just so moved... I just wanted to find Peter Jackson and hug him.
This movie is clearly the Hobbits', and I am really grateful for that.

But let's begin at the beginning:
- Aragon's crowning: I liked it. He looks chubby and he's grown a bit soft (I have to agree with Eruantalincë that the contrast with the speech at the Black Gate is huge) but I do like this Aragorn a lot better than the book version, so I find that moment when he looks up at Gandalf with a bit of an uncertain look very sweet and very moving.
The speech itself was fine but I didn't like Mortensen's delivery. Perhaps it was meant to look that way, but it looked forced like a school kid citing a poem in front of the classroom. I did adore the song, however strange it was, it was very Tolkien to have a song (in Elvish!) in the middle of a scene. That seemingly pointless moment was really a salute to the good professor, and one I believe he would have appreciated a lot.
- Faramir & Éowyn were great, and they do look wonderful together. It makes me look forward to the Houses of Healing even more! I especially liked that look they share, it's a very sweet and loving look, and Éowyn looks so contented... *sighs* They messed with her character, but at least the outcome's okay, so maybe I'll be able to live with it afterall. As for Éomer, man, I agree with snowystingray: he looks great all clean and stuff. And he FROWNed, man! I actually cheered most of the times that I saw it when he appeared on the screen...
- Elves: they were amazing. They finally looked like I imagined they should: they seemed joyous, young, pleased... I especially adored Arwen's little giggle there, amazing. And her gown was so beautiful, the green was really beautiful. What does bug me though, is the really ugly Elf standing next to Elrond. Yikes! If they had run out of pretty guys to stand around, they could just as well have dressed Sean Bean up as Elf, no one would have noticed . Or Pj...
- Which of course brings me to the highlight of this scene: Hobbits. Hobbits rock. I could watch chubby Aragorn, silly Gimli, flower petals and ugly Elf a thousand times if it would mean seeing those four faces again and again and again... They are both the sweetest and the funniest thing in the entire movie, and so typical: Pippin just looks mighty pleased with himself, Merry seems to be thinking something along the lines of 'Got to remember this one to tell to folks back home', Sam looks totally baffled and a bit embarrassed really, and Frodo... that is one look. Elijah Wood, all the Hobbit actors actually, blew me away in ROTK.
'The Return of the King' is about the battle in the first place, but the entire trilogy is about the four Hobbits: they are the heart and soul of the books, and even if you don't like Hobbits you have to acknowledge that. PJ did with this movie, and this scene was the masterpiece: because without them, no one would be standing there.

Would I have changed something? Yes: I want to see Faramir be turned to Prince of Ithilien. I half expected the marriages wouldn't be in it, so I didn't really miss that, but I do miss some kind of recognition for the last heir of the House of Stewards. I'm hoping the EE will make up for this.

Return to Hobbiton: would you still want to add the Scouring? Wasn't Sam's wedding the cutest thing?

Yes & yes, but what I found most stunning about these scenes was how much older those Hobbits looked! And my, they all look fine in their dashing new outfits! Especially Frodo looked ten times as good when he rode his pony into Hobbiton as in your average Frodo-looks-dirty-but-still-sort-of-nice shot.
I also adored the moment when they're all just sitting inside the Green Dragon, and nothing has changed, no one notices them. No big celebration, no heroes welcome: that's enough to bring a guy down to earth in three seconds. But they've all changed, and you can see it on their faces: no more drunk dancing on the table, no idle talk, no wasting time. I loved the complete silence when they drank their pint, and then Sam walking up to Rosie... it makes me cry everytime, because it's so spot on. It shows as effectively as Tolkiens own lengthy exposé on how Frodo didn't get any recognition, why in the end they couldn't stay there. Only Sam remained in Hobbiton, because in truth he's the only one that wasn't changed through the journey: he became who he already was. But the others are really transformed through their experience, and that shows so beautifully in this scene...

The Grey Havens: were they as you expected? Did you miss something or someone? Did you cry (yes you did!)?

Of course I did. I'm a big cry-baby . The worst moments, for me, are when Gandalf says 'I will not say 'Do not cry', for not all tears are an evil' and Sam looks up to him and you can see that he understands, he really does; when Frodo hugs Sam and gives him that kiss on his forehead and (this absolutely breaks my heart) when he's standing on the ship and you get that last shot of Frodo Baggins, and he gives you that breathtaking smile, but at the same time it's also a very sad smile.
I missed Círdan saying something or doing something (though I hadn't really expected that), but what bugged me most was that their was no closure for Legolas or Gimli. That was weird.
But the Grey Havens themselves were really beautiful, and that shot of the ships leaving always reminds me of this illustration, it's just perfect.

Although I don't like Sam, I liked the end. It was the perfect end, because it was Tolkien's end.

I absolutely adored the credits! Awesome! I agree with Luthien_Telperien, some of the non-actor drawings were funny but also amazingly beautiful (I have to add).
My personally favorites are...

1) Image

This one is my favorite: the only Tolkien drawing in my book, and a symbol of the rich mythology that's ever in the background when you're reading LOTR.

2) Image

This shouldn't be a surprise . I was mighty pleased to see him, so he got a big applaus, and not just from me

3) Image

I adore this one because it has the book. It's a logical choice, but somehow it really moved me.

4) Image

:love:

5) Image

Great one, this one, very beautiful... I like the look on her face, so cold and sad, combined with the drawing of her helm.
NienorLalaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 11:10
I loved the ending, it was just so emotional, but some parts just brought a smile to your face! It was just amazing!
Frodo's recovery:I loved that part! It was nice to see all of them together again, and just simply happy!
Coronation: One my favorite scenes in the whole trilogy. The beginning shot of Minas Tirith was amazing. I liked how when when Aragorn and Arwen first saw each other they looked kind of unsure, as to say"Is this really happening?". "My friends you bow to no one" was great, it toughing with such an strenght and proudness, that could only be possible at this point.
Return to Hobbiton: It was great, it showed that life stills go on after you never thought it could. I would have loved to see the scouring of the shire, because it would have given more conclusion to the story, but it would have been somewhat anti-climatic, yet I still hope for it to be in the EE.
Grey Havens: So, emotional. I was crying, and I never cried during a movie, I have come close too, but never really did as in this part. It was brilliant, the soft lighting and scenery added to sadness of the scene.The ending, was as Tolkien's so absolutely what was needed there.
The Credits: The credits were unique, I loved them!
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 07:12

I didn't like it very much, no. It doesn't go as far as being repulsive, but it does look a bit silly imho.

I love it! The part where Aragorn sings is so beautiful. Though I don't think the crown looks very good.

I really wanted to see the Scouring of the Shire, that should've been included. Sam's wedding was sooooooo sweet! He looked so happy.

I liked it, and yes, I cried. (I cried the whole movie, really)

I don't watch the credits.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2004 04:59
I loved the ending!!
~The fluffy mushy Frodo-recovers-from-nasty-adventure scene: you didn't like that, did you?
It was okay...I still cried though.
~Did you like the coronation? What did you like about it, what would you have changed...?
I liked it the way it was. My favorite parts were Aragorn's song and when everybody bowed down to the hobbits.
~ Return to Hobbiton: would you still want to add the Scouring? Wasn't Sam's wedding the cutest thing?
No, I wouldn't want to do that. Their wedding was soo cute. Pip catching the bouqet was a nice addition.
~The Grey Havens: were they as you expected? Did you miss something or someone? Did you cry (yes you did!)?
I loved it...yes I cried.
~Did you like the credits? Which one did you like best?
I liked the credits. I loved Faramir's one and Eowyn's one...those were my favorites.

[Edited on 12/11/2004 by luthienkenobi]
Rilain
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2005 03:27
It was nice. As for the laughing at the beginning, if you look in the book it is there. I wish they had showed it like they did in the book, though. And isn't Pippin supposed to be in uniform?

The coronation was lovely. I'm glad they put in Aragorn and Arwen getting married. I wish Faramir and Frodo could have had better roles. And Aragorn and Arwen bowing to Frodo and Sam I understand, but Merry and Pippin? They're in Aragorn's service! (kind of) It just seems rather odd

I personally didn't care much for Sam's wedding. He's never been my favourite character, and I like his kids better. I was disappointed about the scouring, but I under stand completely why they left it out.

It was too drawn out! Sure, I did cry, but it just went on and on forever! Besides that, though, they were fine.
Didn't watch
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email