Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, she got it fixed, and the issue is now resolved. Thank you, tarcolan, for your help.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, all I had to do was turn off the computer. I got on the next morning and everything is fine I did freak out initially because I guess I'm just that attached to CoE

I know now that I will only paste the link into a forum message. I was trying to get the actual YouTube video into the forum post (I've been able to do that before on CoE). I guess I went to YouTube, clicked on "embed" and then copied the iFrame code that I learned to do in Web Design class, but I didn't realize that the website would think I was trying to modify the coding I will not be trying that again Thanks guys!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
addy
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry, I have been MIA for a couple of years...but when I clicked on the bookmark for CoE I was shocked to see "not found" !!
Thankfully I got you when I clicked on Forums.
Whew...One may leave the Lands for awhile to wander, but I want to know they're still there for when I want to visit !!
love you all...
addy
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I've been having some odd quirks here when choosing "add reply" instead of posting a "quick reply". I am not able to choose one of the smileys offered in "add reply", nor am I able to preview my post.
Anyone else having these problems?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
And now I notice (don't know how late) that the bar at the bottom has disappeared. No chats, chatrooms, who's online ... all missing (and I logged out and logged back in a few minutes ago with no effect).
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message

I'm beginning to think it's that Hong Kong mirror.
I'm using 'Add Reply'. I have the chatbar. Anyone else having problems? Particularly Lord_Sauron?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I used to be missing my chat bar and all the stuff at the bottom too but since I switched to Google Chrome there have been no incidents...well, just the double and triple postings which is sooooo annoying. It seems like I am the only with the double posting issue.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
@ Add Reply issues - nope, I am not experiencing them. Smileys and preview work fine. My browser is Firefox. Gando, if your smiley problems don't disappear, since you're in Vaire, and can instead use Evil Shieldmaiden's smiley thread that's in our realm. She has lots of them, now thematically ordered, and if you add the thread to your favorites, all you need to do is pick one and wrap it in the IMG code. More time-consuming, but worth it.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
The only thing that I can think of is that sometimes there are a lot of me on the Users Online page. Every thing else is ok.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Even when you don't have multiple tabs open?
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I just looked now and it appears that there are six of me Lol.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@ ~nólemë~: my browser is Firefox, too, and I'm pretty sure I had none of these issue day-before-yesterday.
I do have the script-blocker add-on active ...

@ Lord_Sauron: now that's an issue I have had for a long time!

WHA...?

Had this once before (once that I noticed it, anyway):
Firefox shows the location of the server you're connected to.
I'm sure that in my early times, it was a US server. Now, I usually have a Hong Kong server. Loading has been as slow as it has not been in a long time, and I then noticed that, once again, the server location is Europe!
??????????

I'm writing this in Add Reply, the icons are still not working, neither is the preview, and the chat etc. bar at the bottom of the page seems to be on holiday in nirvana somewhere ...

And now I have slowly come to realize that on the European server, I seem to have lost my habit of multiplying myself with each mouse-click.

But then again, my cursor in the space I'm typing in (I rarely type here directly, but use an e-mail draft for spell-check) decided it would rather be doing something else and I'm no longer able to type, or the cursor jumps lines at random. Never happens with the notebook in the office ...

[Edited on 05/28/2014 by Gandolorin]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
AHA! Could have something to do with my script blocker. Just "told" him to ease up a bit, and bottom bar is back. That's why I did not edit my previous post, now testing add reply

8O

Everything seem to be woking working, including preview.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
~nólemë~ said:... Evil Shieldmaiden's smiley thread that's in our realm ... all you need to do is pick one and wrap it in the IMG code ...

Uh ... sure, yeah, if you say so; here goes:

OKAY!!!

[Edited on 05/29/2014 by Gandolorin]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Weird thing, for me. Clicked on "quote", entered the stuff you now see as just text, and when I clicked on "preview" the critter was just bouncing around as it should be. Then added the other two, preview had them hopping, too ...

Ol' Gando needs a whole lot more pointers on some things, it seems.

[Edited on 05/28/2014 by Gandolorin]
tarcolan
Send Message
Gando, good to know it was just the script blocker. As you can see, you can't use HTML in posts. Just paste in the URL, highlight it and then click on the Image button to wrap it in the BB code. Like thisImage

I'm also glad the sudden switch back to the European mirror has solved the multiple entries prob. Now all I need to know is...

Lord_Sauron, have you got a plugin in your browser that shows the country origin of the website? It's called FlagFox in Firefox and IP Whois & Flags Chrome & Websites Rating in Chrome Extensions. It's usually a flag at the right in the address bar. Does it show the website as Hong Kong or Australia?

And finally, I got fed up with Firefox 'cos its slowed to a crawl after the recent updates. Shame 'cos I like the Web tools and stuff.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Here goes

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
oh BLEEP, have degenerated to haphazard clicking.

Just a few more tries with smileys.

ImageImage

ah yes!

ImageImage

and this one:

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have to try that now!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting 1: When I log in, I have the Hong Kong server for a short while, but it changes to the European server pretty quickly.
Interesting 2: I do not inflate the Members Online tally anymore

Do I need to understand any of this?

Nah.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Something very strange is going on in the Games Forum. *Fortunately, Unfortunately* has very interesting page formations especially at the bottom of the thread.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
tarcolan
Send Message
It was a certain member's sig image that was messing up the layout. As if by magic they deleted their sig so it's all hunky dory now. Thanks, certain member.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
At the top of the Forum page it says "Hi Cenor". Everything is okay except it tells me that my last visit was March 13 2012. I joined recently and I hadn't read any of Tolkien's works yet so is it just some of the new site glitches. Ir doesn't bother me I just wanted to know. Thanks
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
tarcolan
Send Message
Don't worry Cenor, it's a bug that appeared when the site was moved to a new platform.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
This has probably been mentioned before, but I never saw the answer (I was gone for a while). The Search option in the Forums doesn't really work. Is there some way to get around this?
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Just hit "Forum Home" and scroll to the one you want and then click into it. That is what I have been doing.

I received a PM from gwendeth saying that the techies are now aware of my avi problem!
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:I received a PM from gwendeth saying that the techies are now aware of my avi problem!

That's great! I hope you get it fixed.

Well, what I meant was is there any way to actually search the forums successfully. Sorry for being ambiguous.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
tarcolan
Send Message
Beren, search does work a bit. It's just very slooow and doesn't let you know it's still searching. It also searches all the forums and only presents one page of answers, which is not very helpful sometimes. I'm afraid it's quite low on the list of bugs though, so you'll have to use old fashioned legwork for now. I sometimes go from page to page using the browser's Find tool but it's a drag. Sorry.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Today, for the first time in days, I'm still (9:38 PM) stuck on that blasted Hong Kong server. And my user is once again acting up and inflating the users on-line totals. Is there any way I can force usage of the European server??? It's much closer anyway, so what's with this "mirror" garbage anyway???
Image Image Image Image Image

Update:
today CoE started on the European server from the word go.
We shall see ...

[Edited on 06/14/2014 by Gandolorin]

Hello, Hong Kong server, hello Image multiple me! Image

[Edited on 06/15/2014 by Gandolorin]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That is so strange, Gando! I hope you get that fixed.

Question: how come it takes CoE so long to resolve issues? IS it a lack of people? Im not complaining, I am just wondering.
tarcolan
Send Message
Gando, the CDN eases the load on the main site making page loading much quicker. Also other technical benefits. Some glitches such as the weird behaviour of the Hong Kong mirror. You might ask your ISP if they know why it's happening as everyone else in Europe gets the European mirror. Maybe they put you through a proxy server or something.

Maxie, all I can say is have patience. Rivka built this site 12 years ago and it has grown huge and very complicated. Rivka pays for the site so Rivka needs to do real work as well. Rivka very busy. What do we say? "Thank you Rivka!".
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@ tarcolan: Started on a Hong Kong server, haven't paid attention to that aspect, now (ask me not since when) I'm on a US server.
My, does my user get around!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Are you using WiFi or a cable box, Gando? If it's WiFi it could be connecting to any availiable server.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Are you using WiFi or a cable box, Gando? If it's WiFi it could be connecting to any availiable server.

WLAN in the apartment. It's cable after that.
Seems I need to be informed what WiFi is (may have heard of it).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
WiFi is "wireless internet". It's for laptops or wireless evices. Basically there's a little box that gives out a signal and when you access the internet on the device, it asks for the network name and password. For example, my network name is QXYT4. (not the real name, just an example). It's your guess what the password is. And when you have the password, you log in under that network name credential. And then you enter in the password and you can use the internet. Sometimes though if people don't have a password on their WiFi, the server will jump around. Thats happened to me before. I was picking up a signal froma house a block away. It was weak, but I was picking it up and it switched me over without warning. But then we switched to a different company and that hasn't happened since.

[Edited on 06/18/2014 by findemaxam48]
<< First1415161718Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email