Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1617181920Last >>
Author Topic:
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
My Firefox browser has been informing since a few days that it it blocking "Adobe Flash" from running as soon as I log in to CoE - and only there. I have so far clicked on "continue blocking", but that's just my normal Internet paranoia. Can anyone tell me if it would be OK to allow "Adobe Flash" to run? I had lost the bar at the bottom of the page a while ago - Chatrooms and Who's Online and stuff - and managed to solve it by changing my Firefox security to slightly less aggressive settings, so I'm wondering if this is a similar case.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My chat bar shows 0 online even when I know people are on and the chats do not post sometimes or all the chats disappear. It does that once in a while though.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Gandolorin said: Can anyone tell me if it would be OK to allow "Adobe Flash" to run?

I have Adobe Flash running on my computer without any issues, Gando, so it should be okay.

Also, thanks to tarc's recommendation, I am trying a new search engine that is based on the Firefox model called: Pale Moon. I find Firefox is becoming overloaded with plug-ins and such which has been causing speed issues with my computer. Pale Moon is less "cluttered" and is much faster. Unfortunately, it doesn't carry over the Firefox bookmarks which means you have to re-bookmark the sites and passwords which I actually found useful as it prompted me to clean up my lists, and change my passwords. Overall, I happy with Pale Moon, although I still run Firefox as my back-up search engine.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Err... it's a browser, not a search engine. And you can export bookmarks in html and load them into any browser.
Oh, and Palemoon can use Firefox plugins as well.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I am really confused by the poles. I am guessing the number on the right shows how many votes each option has got, but sometimes an option with one vote has a bigger percentage than an option with 5 votes! (For example on a thread about reading Realmer's Digest.)
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It all depends on the amount of people who participated in the poll, I think.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
If you're talking about the polls in the forums threads, most of them were made on the old site and when they were transferred to the new site they got messed up (old coding not compatible with the new perhaps?). I don't know if there is any way to fix them but as it hasn't been I am guessing no.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Ok fair enough. It is strange because the percentages don't match up with number of votes, but it makes sense if they were transferred from the old site.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Why was the site updated? I remember a large hacking that occurred about two years ago, a few months after I first joined. Did that prompt a new site?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Dolwen
Send Message
Yes, the old site was being hacked on a pretty regular basis and days of post would be lost which is exactly what prompted the site we have now.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I have had various problems with the chat with quite a few users.

These include:
The pop-up notification not working when I have a new message
The messages on the page just disappearing
Receiving a message way after it was sent, prompting the other user to ask if I had choked to death or something
The Who's Online showing 0 online although there are clearly people online
The user names disappearing when I click the Who's Online button.

This is a real inconvenience, and it seems it is not just happening on my side of the chat. Can anyone help?

Plus, can someone tell me what this whole corrupted uncorrupted malarkey is?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Can't help you with the Chat thing but I can clear up the Corrupted vs Uncorrupted thing.

It's one of the facets that makes the Realm of Vairë the Weaver unique. We ally ourselves to the corrupted/uncorrupted characters in Tolkiens' works, particularly in our games threads. Because we have one of the most active Realm memberships on the site, these factions have managed to work their way into the main games forum; helped by the fact that I'm the de facto Leader of the Realm's Corrupted Army (well, Sauron, or Morgoth, are but .... usurping power is, well, intoxicating.)

[Edited on 01/05/2015 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have all the same issues as described by PSK with chats. This has happened before. I wonder if going in a chat room would make a difference.

There are bugs in the system and we just have to deal with it. It is not always like that.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Oh ok E~S. It's no secret which side you are on!

It's a shame I didn't know this when I joined a realm, should've done more research really. Although, it is kinda my fault that I also haven't explored my own realm so much.

Anyhoo, I am pretty sure most/lots of the users will have experienced the problems at one point or another, but I think it has got a lot worse recently.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I noticed something similar in the chat-room popout window during the Vairë chat on Jan 3rd. I had the window at about half my screen size (left half), and occasionally the text would disappear. Rarely the entire text, mostly the last five or so lines. I also had the impression that occasionally (newer?) comments appeared above other comments instead of below, as if they had a time stamp but were delayed in becoming visible in the chat window. And occasionally, the text I was typing in the comment line also flickered.
More generally, occasionally when an avatar is at the top of the browser window, it disappears and reappears at a rapid rate. Haven't paid attention to whether or not this effect is limited to active avatars like Lindarielwen's or Dolwen's, or happens to all. And last, sometimes when I scroll to the top of a page, the top quarter or so of the page goes pale as if someone had turned on a strong back-light.

[Edited on 01/08/2015 by Gandolorin]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
PSK, you're allowed to move to another Realm.

Gandolorin, I don't use the chat, so I won't comment on that, but I've not experienced the disappearing avatars or a pale page top. Might it be the browser you're using?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I've been using Mozilla Firefox pretty much from the word go. Of course, there are updates, so maybe I should try out the IE for a change.

OK, tried to log in several times with the IE, failed every time. Odd.

[Edited on 01/08/2015 by Gandolorin]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I had so many issues with IE on the CoE, so I switched to Chrome and everything is working fine.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with you on that, Maxie. I had so many issues with IE here but I switched to Google Chrome and love it. But I still am having some chat problems.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Your comments make me wonder why CoE works fine with IE on some computers and not on others... Curious...
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I use chrome anyway and it seems it's the only one that works properly, however the chat problems are on chrome (haven't tried other browsers).

And cool NenyaGold. I thought when I joined it said you can't change, but I think that's username and I got mixed up.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Since PSK asked, I'll post it here. Yes you may change Realms after you've been in one for three months. We had so many active members when the Realms began that Rivka didn't want people hopping all over the place.

On the left side of the screen where you see Home, go down to Community, then click Realms. At the bottom of that page is a list of each Realm. Click the one you want to join, then click Join Realm at the top of that page.

The page with the list of Realms is where you can glean more information about each realm by going to their main page and clicking their info and even their member list. Most is probably out of date but it will give you an idea of what the realms basic interests are.

There is also the Realms Forum where some of the active Realms have made themselves known.

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Well, well, well, I'm on a US server today. Let's see what that does to my "multiple users" issue. I believe to remember that that was NOT an issue whe I was occasionally on EU or US servers. Ve schalll ssee.

No "multiple users" on 09 Jan into early 10 Jan CET.
And now the second login in a row with a US server. On va voir.

[Edited on 01/11/2015 by Gandolorin]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
http://www.councilofelrond.com/fm/edit-post.php

This has come up lately whenever I edit a post. Thoughts?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:http://www.councilofelrond.com/fm/edit-post.php

This has come up lately whenever I edit a post. Thoughts?

No idea, if I try the link, Firefox shows me a blank page. But my settings include a script-blocker, which seem to make it a fire-breathing fox. I have had to use the IE a couple of times because of this.
And I cannot find "www.councilofelrond.com/fm" here... Image
sciuro
Council Member
Send Message
Search returns no results, and I cannot figure out if this issue was already noted (because search doesn't work).
Member profiles point to member gallery, as noted before (it's still not fixed).
Finally, seems like the forum is not indexed by Google, which is a pity - one cannot search the content of the forums through Google while local search is being fixed.

Pleasepleaseplease fix it!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The search does work, it's just very, very slow. At first it shows a blank page but if you leave it a while the results will eventually appear.
autistic cupcake
Council Member
Send Message
something is not right. in the box that shows the most recent post for threads on the mane forum page. the Nuwbie one shows "Last post by in Re: on" if you click the RE: it brings you to the elfish translation of the word thread

o.O
What herb heals all wounds? Thyme! Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! Sprinkles are for winners
Dolwen
Send Message
That happens when something is deleted there and will disappear when a new post is made.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
A day's worth of posts lost from 10 March? If this was a planned outage, I don't remember seeing any announcement.

Remember RP writers, save what you post, and archive the thread as well!
I've seen too many good RP posts and even complete RPs lost due to some server/software belch over the years.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I lost contact with CoE yesterday evening at perhaps 9 PM CET (so about 3 PM EST etc.) Tried several times to reconnect, but then gave up, powered up my 2008 high-powered (and offline) games tower and doodled around with one of my Sokoban (cube-pusher) games. Noticed I was a tad rusty ...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I lost it as well, sometime in the afternoon. Updates?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My friend in The Netherlands has been unable to log on to the Council in several days. A screen comes on and says Error..Council of Elrond. Does anyone know anything about this?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know anything, but I remember that something like this usually happens around this time each year, at least since I have been here.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Not sure why your friend is having issues. I know Rivka has been working on some of the programming but that shouldn't keep someone off for days. I believe your friend would be in the same time zone as Gando (who will likely read this), I wonder if he has had the same problem.
<< First1617181920Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email