Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post RE: Something not working?
on: June 04, 2004 11:05
Okay, someone sent me the text of what they were posting, and from what I can tell, the site just doesn't like you posting really long entries. Were those of you that were running into problems posting really long posts?

I can look into what's causing this further, but for now, try breaking your posts up into smaller chunks.

[Edited on 5/6/2004 by Rivka]
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 04:28
Rivka, I'm not sure what you mean by *really long entries*, but yesterday I posted a 1,094 word post in Dark Elf RPG (TT) and I didn't have a problem. To see if anything larger would be a problem, I just reposted (copied from my Word file) Abraon's monster of 3,271 words in DE's OoC and it took it just fine.
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 12:04
Rivka, I'm not sure what you mean by *really long entries*, but yesterday I posted a 1,094 word post in Dark Elf RPG (TT) and I didn't have a problem. To see if anything larger would be a problem, I just reposted (copied from my Word file) Abraon's monster of 3,271 words in DE's OoC and it took it just fine.

Truth be told, then, I can't figure out what the problem is. The problem text that was sent to me was about 1200 words...if the whole thing is put in as one post, it generates the error. If you do new posts for each paragraph, then it works...I had thought there might be a problem with the "smart quotes" from Word that was causing the problem, but that turned out to be false. I'm stumped. *throws up hands*

The best thing would be if people would keep sending me problem posts over email, so I can see what the commonality is between them all...
slayer9649
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 02:54
I said it was only a tiny problem, and I do still have it. However, I just received a reply from the friend that I had PM'd when I first noticed this in my 'preview'. This aberration didn't go out in the mailing. It's only seen in the 'preview'; therefore, it's no big deal. Honest, I am not complaining. I just try to make my messages look as perfect as they can be, so the back-slash startled me.

As ever, Thanks Again,
Patricia Pleasant
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 03:35
Oh, no worries, Patricia It's an easy fix, and I'll get to it in a bit.

Edit: Okay, it should be fixed now

[Edited on 6/6/2004 by Rivka]
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 05:07
A couple of minor things that used to work before...

In the body of PM's you could put some smilies, such as the more common ones like ; ) : ) : P

You could do the same thing in Journal comments.

Also, the time seems to be off in both PM's and Journals. I'm on Pacific time like you, but the PM I just sent to myself says 12:01 PM on June 5 (not the 6th) and the most current Journals have that same time... They used to be two hours ahead.

Thank you! :heart:

Rivka says smilies in PMs should work now. About the time thing -- fiddle with the time in your account until it works. The server is set to local time, which makes things a little odd.

[Edited on 26/6/2004 by Rivka]
Aislynn_of_Osgiliath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 05:28
This is the second day in which I can't post in my Journal. Every time I hit submit, I get the following message:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This just started happening on Friday. I posted on Wednesday without any trouble. My computer doesn't seem to be having any trouble in and of itself or with any other website. Any help you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks also for all your hard work. I honestly don't know how you've been able to do something this massive and still keep the site up and working smoothly for the most part!

~Aislynn
Niere
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 06:48
Rivka, I didn't send you my post, but I wondered about the length as well. I'll send it to you in a bit. Thanks. Just to let you know, I tried PMing my thread-leader with my whole post, and I got the same error message I got in the post before. I've had no problems posting long messages in the past, and there were no italics, bold or anything else. It's driving me bananas! Anyway, I'll send it to you through e-mail. Thanks a whole lot!
Niere
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 08:48
Rivka,
Won't be sending you an e-mail after all. I got my posting to work, but I had to post the whole thing in 5 separate parts to make it work. You just switched the site to new software, right? Maybe it just really doesn't like long posts. I had to keep all of the parts fairly short so that they'd go through. Weird. Anyway, I'm just going to make that work. Thanks so much for all of your help!
-Niere
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 10:31
I have mod access to the polls.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 02:19
Thank you for all of the fixes, Rivka! What a load of work!

I've found one more small thing... I use it when a new member joins our Realm... Although the birthdays show up on the Birthday List for the day, they don't show in a member's profile.

Thank you again! :heart:

Fixed

Aislynn_of_Osgiliath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 07:17
It's me again. Still having the same problem with my Journal, though I find that I can post small Entries (basically "test pilots" I keep sending out to see if I can post! ).

But I have an ongoing story-ish thing (sorta like a "mission...quest...thing" hm? ) and whenever I try to post the next Entry, I get that same Internal Server Error message.

I'm presuming then that it's the size of the post that's causing it. But this one is no bigger than any of the others that have come before it. So I'm baffled.

Uhhhh... Help?

Many thanks,
Aislynn
Ioreth_Fimbrethil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 10:21
morwin have you tried checking your cookies... go to tools then internet options and choose the general tab, delete your temporary cookies and temporary internet files. then go to security and privacy and see they are both set to medium. If this doesnt work then post again

I have the same problem, and I've tried getting rid of the cookies, I've set my firewall to accept cookies and banners, as well as the security features in Netscape. I still get logged off after browsing for a while.
Maybe the new software doesn't like firewalls? Ah well, good for me if I spend less time here
Lannorui
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 07:54
Hey there Rivka, I know you are busy, but I seem to have a problem with the URL's when posting a news submission. I just submitted it on an Interview with Elijah Wood. I tested the url out in my journal and will even put it here, but when I put it in the news submission I could not get it to work. I was wondering if you perhaps know the problem and can fix it on the submission so that it works??? It is called Life After "Lord" Interview with Elijah Wood (submitted by Lannorui) of course.

I will put it here and see if it works, it did in the journal....

Life After Lord

Yep it works here and in the journal so why not in the news submission?? Oh well I am completely baffled and will let you work out the details, hehe.

Huggles and thank you for all your hard work and efforts to enhance this wonderful site.
Lann
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 09:19

Yep it works here and in the journal so why not in the news submission?? Oh well I am completely baffled and will let you work out the details, hehe.

Well, both the journals and the forums only accept BBcode for links, etc. BBcode are the [url*][/url*] tags. For news submissions, you must use html code for your links instead of BBcode. HTML are the Link tags. But, the news admins will be able to change the tags easily when they look at your submission, so don't worry about it.

[Edited on 8/6/2004 by Ringhilwen]
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 09:41
Thanks for answering that Ringhilwen

Lannorui I've also sent you a PM explaining about how to put the link in a news submission.
Frodo_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 12:42
i have been having trouble with a lot of the site lately. i can get on, and get to all of the areas of the site, but when i go to log in, it won't let me. the only place it will let me log in is if i click on the link for the announcement that some things arent working, and i log in there. also, once i am logged in, the only things i can get to load are the forums. i don't know if there is anything you can do about this, but please tell me if there is.
Aislynn_of_Osgiliath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 09:15
It's Aislynn Problem Child again. I can post in my Journal if I keep it short but now whenever I try to post a comment on mine or anyone else's journals, I get the message: Sorry, you are not permitted to access that file directly.

Okaaaay... I'm lost here. Sorry to have to add another problem on the pile! Thanks bunches for your help!

~Aislynn
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 09:21
Guys...you can keep reporting it here all you want, but I can't fix it until some people start sending me the exact text of what you were trying to input over email. Until that happens, you're going to keep having the problem, since I can't magically fix it without more data to know what's causing it.
Faerie_Decay13
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 08:17
I can't add a new chapter to my fanfics....
Veaglarwen
Tech Admin & Co-Themer
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 07:53
I can't add a new chapter to my fanfics....

we're going to need a bit more information than that. what happens when you try to add it? do you get any errors? if so, you will need to email exactly what you were trying to post to Rivka, as she's stated multiple times already.

If you tell us more, we can have a place to start when fixing things.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 05:43
Stalwart work Rivka and staff.:love:

I e-mailed my long text for RPing, so that Rivka could try to see what the matter was. Touch wood, I seem to be able to post long pieces of text now. Perhaps it's just a random thing.

Thanks for your kind attention btw Rivka. Much appreciated.

Rose
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 08:50
Rivka, I have a problem accessing the menu! If I didn't have my personal menu, I couldn't get to anything on the site! When I put my cursor over the menu, a java script error pops up telling me that www.councilofelrond.com and everything is the source "line 880". It's so annoying because I can't check my councilofelrond.net mail because it's in the menu!

All the help appreciated!

P.s. last night I had trouble commenting with a large amount of text. It had several links in it, so I don't know if that was the problem. It was only on that one journal though. And I ended up just PMing the info. Just letting you know, because it's not really a problem for me. Thanks so much! :love:
ElvenWytch
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 12:31
Umm... I hate to be a bother, but I can't post at all in the RPG forums.
Even one sentence entries and it gives me the Error 404 page. I'm not using anysort of html or anything different than usuall, but I havn't been able to post for the last week or so. Thank you guys for working so hard to straigten things out. I really do appreciate it. Sorry to bug you.
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 12:45
Oh yeah, and the envelopes are malfunctioning again!
Ithiliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 12:50
Hello Rivka and all, and thank you for working so hard to make this one of the best Tolkien sites out there!
I have noticed a problem, though: I can't open any new fanfic chapters.
The fic "Coming of Age," for example, had chapter 15 added on the 4th (IIRC), and chapter 16 was added on the 9th. On the Movie Fics selection page, it shows that the fic has 16 chapters, but in the drop-down chapter menu I can only read to the fourteenth chapter. The other ones don't show up at all.
And it isn't just happening with this fic; it's all of them. Normally I have to wait a day or so to be able to read a new chapter (not a big deal), but I noticed that the most recent reviewer for "Coming of Age" mentioned the same problem, so it's not just me.
Hope you can get this worked out!

-Ithiliel

Edit: Apparently it's all fixed now. Le hannon!

[Edited on 20/6/2004 by Ithiliel]
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 02:47
Rivka, I have a problem accessing the menu! If I didn't have my personal menu, I couldn't get to anything on the site! When I put my cursor over the menu, a java script error pops up telling me that www.councilofelrond.com and everything is the source "line 880". It's so annoying because I can't check my councilofelrond.net mail because it's in the menu!

Okay, I don't know if it's something with my Internet Explorer or what, but it works with my Netscape. Weird.
ElfyOne
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 03:20
Thanks Rivka, you sure are doing alot of work! But I have the same trouble with internet explorer as Legolisa... I have noticed it on the index and in the journals and Last Homely House. It's probably elsewhere too...
Thanks again
ariah
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 11:20
Um, from time to time I seem to be involuntarily 'logged out' - One moment I'm logged in fine, and then I click a link and on the next page I'm a guest and need to log in again. This last happened when I previewed a post. Also, when I had logged back in and submitted the post, my status was 'offline' even though I was still logged in.

All the other problems I've been having seem to be fixed, though - thanks for all your hard work
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 09:53
Um, from time to time I seem to be involuntarily 'logged out' - One moment I'm logged in fine, and then I click a link and on the next page I'm a guest and need to log in again. This last happened when I previewed a post. Also, when I had logged back in and submitted the post, my status was 'offline' even though I was still logged in.

All the other problems I've been having seem to be fixed, though - thanks for all your hard work

For the fifty bajillionth time, make sure you're clicking Remember Me.

Regarding the forum status: this is common. It's likely just a bug, and it's not really major, so it can wait
ariah
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 12:52

For the fifty bajillionth time, make sure you're clicking Remember Me.

Ah - I sometimes log in from places (eg pages in the forums) where this isn't an option (or at least, the 'remember me' box is not showing up). I'll try and remember to always log in from the main page for now
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 01:39
Thanks for all of this Rivka and co.!

Anywho, there's something weird going on in the Journals. Whenever I make a picture entry it enters fine, but when I leave the first page that pops up it's gone. WHen I try to put it in again, the computer won't let me. :killcomp: Please help!
hithuiorod
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 06:35
Is anyone else having problems with the polls? My vote isn't added when i vote.
slayer9649
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 06:43
Fortunately, I've not encountered any problems outside of the PM's, since the first couple of days after the upgrade.

The only actual communicating that I do here, besides reporting my little problems at this forum, is PMing. When I click on the Next Message, I get this:

From Message

Subject: Sent: Jun 13, 2004 - 09:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous message | Next message
| Reply to this | Delete | Forward FriendsOtherSent MessagesInbox

:dizzy: No message shows up. I've been checking this every day, besides seeing if anyone else has already reported it to you. To test this, I left 3 messages in my Inbox and I clicked open the 2nd one, then tried to go to the next message. After receiving the above shown item, I had to return to the Index to get to the next message. Since I don't ordinarily get a lot of PM's at one time, this is not really a big problem for me, but it might be annoying to those who do.

Thank you, and all of your Administrative staff, for your hard work and patience.

Patricia Pleasant

Fixed

p.s. the time that is showing is 2 hours different from what my location is - Atlantic time versus Central Time. My setting does show the - 6:00 Time Offset, though. :rolleyes: Strange, huh?

Rivka says just fiddle with the time setting until it's right. It has something to do with how the server's time is set.

Novedhelion
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 03:36
Hello...great work so far on the site, but it will not allow me to update my fanfic. I have readers clamoring for new chapters but I get the "page cannot be displayed" error every time I try to submit. Any suggestions?

Thanks -
Novedhelion
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email