Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1920212223Last >>
Author Topic:
Aglarion
Council Member
Send Message
Hi there,

A few moments ago I was unable to log into the site. After logging in, I was told that my IP was blacklisted. This happened a few times, but on the fourth or fifth attempt it let me log in to the site.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Interesting.

Are you a new member, or a returning member who has been on the site previously under a different name?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Several members that I know had their IP address blacklisted due to avatar issues.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Aglarion
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden said:
Interesting.

Are you a new member, or a returning member who has been on the site previously under a different name?

I'm a new member - I've never had an account on here before.

If there's an issue with this Avatar, I can change it.

EDIT: It's also happened this evening (~22:30 GMT 09/03/2016) when trying to resubmit Sindarin Workbook exercises (specifically exercise one). It happened on two occasions, and on the third attempt it worked.

[Edited on 03/09/2016 by Aglarion]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Your avatar is fine. The only problem uploading avatars occurs if the wrong field is used in the edit profile section which doesn't seem to be a problem in your case.

The site has been "hiccupping" recently with regard to loading pages and posts, and I suspect that this is the problem you're encountering.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello - I am unable to see members' profiles, unless I do a search in Community >Members List. This happens whether I click on a name in the left margin of a thread, moderators' names in the home box of threads (Forum main page) or the right margin of a thread listing last poster. Regardless or name, I get this page : http://www.councilofelrond.com/imagegallery/members/124718/ It's a photo of someone with an Aragorn standee.

This has been happening for months. I always dismissed it as a temporary glitch, but it's still happening. Any idea how it can be corrected ?

Thanks

[Edited on 04/14/2016 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Hi Neenime. I have posted a copy of your observations in the Mod Forum "Bug Fix" thread.

As to whether or not it will be fixed .....
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I've been having massive "database error" problems today. They were more sporadic yesterday, but still annoying. Any ideas what the cause might be?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I'm going to guess that it has something to do with a hiccup in the connection between the site server and the host server.

Any techies around who can give us a more coherent explanation?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
§$%&ß@€µ# "Error establishing a database connection" (excuse my French!)
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Oddly enough, I didn't have any problems at 0700 PDT (-8 GMT) today.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Not long after my above post, things calmed down for me, too. *shrugs*
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
Today, I've been very frequently receiving the error message "Error establishing a database connection" in Google Chrome, and an HTTP 500 error (This page can't be displayed, because this site's server might be under maintenance or there could be a programming error.) in Microsoft Edge. Hopefully, I'll have a similar experience to Gandolorin's and things will calm down.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
After having been on a Hong Kong server on and off again (mostly on), I have now been on a US server for several months. And having upgraded to Windows 10, I now no longer have the partial blackout of text respectively general display issues with Win 7 in my Mozilla Firefox browser window. So Win 10 and Mozilla Firefox seem to work fine for me.
Foedhrass
Council Member
Send Message
I had a lot of difficulties between registering and logging in.
When I first clicked on "Register" the link was flawed
(http://www.councilofelrond.comlogin/?action=register --> without an / between "com" and "login" ). I guessed how it was supposed to go and added it manually. When I registered, there was an information that an activation e-mail had been sent, but it never arrived, nor when I clicked on "resend".
A few hours later it still hadn't arrived and I still couldn't log in with my user name and my password. Only when I tried to log in with my e-mail address and the password, it lead me back to the main CoE page and when I went back to the forum, I was suddenly logged in. I don't know whether an admin activated my account manually in that very second or logging in with the e-mail was the solution (but still no confirmation e-mail)... I just wanted to point out that something doesn't seem to be running smoothly there.

[Edited on 08/06/2016 by Foedhrass]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Well done Foedhrass! You passed the test. No seriously, there's a few probs since we moved to a new system, the missing slash one for example. We just battle on against the odds. At least you used a link for your avatar.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
For the last couple of days (started Friday 12th August '16) I've been getting the 'Error establishing a database connection' on and off. Is everyone else experiencing this too, or is it just me? Maybe the server is just having one of those weeks....
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
I think the server is having one of those days (weeks?)... I got a similar message earlier today.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Saturday 13 August was highly annoying for me with 'Error establishing a database connection' messages more often than not (though perhaps my annoyance blew the occurrence of these messages a bit beyond what actually happened).
Foedhrass
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:Well done Foedhrass! You passed the test. No seriously, there's a few probs since we moved to a new system, the missing slash one for example. We just battle on against the odds. At least you used a link for your avatar.

Actually, no, I didn't... the avatar was just there - mind you, it is one of my drawings, but I didn't put it there... not now at least. Maybe I already had an account on this forum ages ago and put up the avatar back then? But then I shouldn't have been able the register again under the same name. I have no idea how that happened.

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
'Error establishing a database connection' a handful of times at the beginning (about 7:30 PM here in central Europe, 1:30 PM US East coast), then slow connections which never quite got up the normal speed they are exhibiting today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Not an unusual problem these days. Although it affects CoE, I'm not sure it's actually a problem with the site programming. I think it's a WordPress issue. Could be wrong though. *shrug*
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
wolfbladequeens' IP address has been blocked. Is there anything that we can do to fix that so she can hop back on?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Hi maxie! I will put a copy of yout post in the Mod's forum.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks E~S!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
tarcolan posted in the Mods' Forum: Yup, it's that Sucuri guard dog. E~S, if findemaxam48 can contact wolfbladequeen outside of CoE, tell her to switch off her router overnight so it gets a new IP in the morning. Sometimes this works. Other than that you'll have to email Rivka. Try and find out what the blacklisted IP address is from Maxie and pass that to Rivka.
I hope this helps, maxie.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I'll email wolfie and let her know! Thanks!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I hate it when that blacklisting happens....

I take it the site was down for a day? It seems to be on again as this isn't an archived page.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Yeah, it happens more and more frequently it seems. Not much we can do about it, I'm afraid.
vanyar
Nessa’s Head Llama
Send Message
I can't reply to posts in my realm forum, by either quick reply or clicking the reply button at the top of page. The page reloads, but no post appears.
Sponge Fighting Instructor, and Keeper of the Llamas for the Realm of Nessa! "Dance hard, laugh loud, and never misplace your sponge"
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ vanyar: I've placed a copy of your post in the Bug Fix thread in the Mod's forum.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I was on the site Tuesday 20th last time before today.
Snail-paced responses, the odd 'Error establishing a database connection' message.
Sine I was tired anyway, I gave up after a handful of posts or two.
Starting off today, response was surprisingly fast.
Now is seems to have slowed a bit, to "normal" response time.
vanyar
Nessa’s Head Llama
Send Message
Thanks evil_shieldmaiden!I only noticed it in that one thread, other threads in the same forum are working. Weird little hiccups! Lol
Sponge Fighting Instructor, and Keeper of the Llamas for the Realm of Nessa! "Dance hard, laugh loud, and never misplace your sponge"
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Thought I would post this here.... I have now heard from four people from three other Tolkien sites who say they registered here but couldn't log in a second time without 'activating' their account via a non-existant 'confirmation email'. Some have posted after registering, but as soon as they log out, they can't log back in because of this. It would explain the hundreds of people who post here for one to a dozen or so posts their first time logged in after registration only to never return. They go off to other, better working sites and decide it isn't worth the hassle to pursue trying to get back on this site. Understandable, because it seems the effort to get everything working to get on here regular with these non-existant confirmation emails, sudden IP blacklisting, not to mention all the broken linking, etc isn't worth it and it's easier to go elsewhere. It seems we older citizens have no issues with this, though I did have an issue with the blacklisting once, and I suspect some of these bugs may contribute to the the sudden disappearance of once active posters. I understand that Imladris was a hard place to find, let alone get into, but this is kind of sad really. This 'confirmation email' bug has obviously had an effect on new registration returns. I've asked this before, but at this point, I doubt there is enough interest, time or resources that the site-owners are willing to put in tofix this place proper and restore its former glory. Anyway.... thought I would say it.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Thanks for your comments, Arveleg! I've posted a copy of them in the "Bug Fix" thread in the Mods forum. Image ... I live in hope.
<< First1920212223Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email