Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2021222324Last >>
Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden said:Thanks for your comments, Arveleg! I've posted a copy of them in the "Bug Fix" thread in the Mods forum. Image ... I live in hope.

I'll try to share your optimism .... but it's been 4 years for some things to be 'fixed'. so.... you know...
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
20:31 hours (aka 8:31 PM) Central European Daylight Savings Time here, and response times have been in the pits for at least 15, if not 30 minutes. Also had one "Error establishing a database connection" message. Very annoying.

[Edited on 11/21/2017 by Gandolorin]
Ambarad
Council Member
Send Message
Is it possible to chat on android devices? Whenever I go to "community-chat" the "chat is unclickable and does nothing when I click it. Also theres no little oval at the bottom right of my screen for chat.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Sorry, it doesn't appear that chat will work on phones, I also have an android and get the same results as you. Unfortunately, a mobile version of the site was never made which I suspect may be the reason.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@Evil~Shieldmaiden: there seems to be a serious issue with images being displayed today. Your Avatar, Dolwen's, ~nólemë~'s, pictures in siggies, and practically every image in your " Forum Home » Realm of Vairë the Weaver » Vairë: Weaving Patterns » Vairë Smilies & Greetings" list have disappeared ...
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Photobucket was down which is where we host those images.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Did anyone else have server connection problems yesterday? I have a suspicion that the problem was east of the Atlantic, just asking.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I was on a couple of times without any issues, although things were a bit slow to load on occasion.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Dolwen said:Yes, the old site was being hacked on a pretty regular basis and days of post would be lost which is exactly what prompted the site we have now.

Too bad nobody has the time, drive, and money to fix this place.
Nobady really cares that many new folk never get their confirmation email and are unable to sign in after their initial registration. As long as they dont sign out after their registration they are fine. This explains the 1 or 2 posts from new folk and no more.

The Answer to these problems and the lengthy list of "bug fixes" over the last 5 years? ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg, I'm guessing that Dolwen's post above October 18, 2016 11:51 "... Unfortunately, a mobile version of the site was never made which I suspect may be the reason." may very likely be what's causing issues for new members.

I don't have a smartphone, and to be very truthful I could never imagine trying to access CoE on such a pathetically small monitor instead of my notebook. For some things, my notebook monitor appears very cramped, as I have a 26 inch thingy for my 2008 tower (DVD movies without a doubt, that tower still outperforms anything but a ridiculously expensive portable of any sort in that function). If I had your memories of things functioning as in the pre-hack days, I might grumble too. But then, CoE is a volunteer site, started by Rivka if I'm right, around the time of the LoTR movies. Milton Friedman may be a moron in some ways (Paul Krugman considers his Nobel Prize in Economics justified), but his quote "there ain't no free lunch" is a bullseye. Something that, for the odd generation of Internet users, was or is a totally alien concept.

I'm just happy when my link to CoE still functions ...
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I guess the site is what the owner-operators want it to be. It is what it is. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Somewhat like Goldberry says about TB: "It is."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
It is what it is and it is giving me the absolute shists. It seems the 'quick reply box will just disappear with my post when I hit the button. This post I'm testing it.

Nope, didn't post. Now for the 'Add Reply' link at the top of the page....

Edit: Yes, that one worked. I think I've had it with this site though. I had to reset my IP by shutting down my modem for a weekend due to the 'blacklisting' again too.

C'est la vie ~ Hasta la vista

You can find me active over on the Arwen Undomiel site where these issues are not issues.

[Edited on 03/03/2017 by Arveleg]
Hithfaerwen
Council Member
Send Message
What I miss in the forum functions is that when I "subscribe" to a thread, I still don't get any notifications if a new comment arrives.
Those we love do not go away, they walk beside us every day...Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear. ~ For my unforgettable dear friend Buksi, and the angelic Lindarielwen
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I don't recall if I ever gave the "subscribe" bit a try after I joined in November 2013. I've always gone by the square thingy on the left side of a group indicating unread posts. I did mark one thread in the "Arwen-Undomiel" site that I joined recently with something corresponding to "subscribe", but deselected it again (at the beginning I was getting quite a few e-mail notifications, which started to bother me) as that site has a similar marking for groups where there are posts I have not read yet. So I can live without it, but that's just me. (I have nothing nearly approaching the issues Arveleg mentioned above.)
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Hithfaerwen said:What I miss in the forum functions is that when I "subscribe" to a thread, I still don't get any notifications if a new comment arrives.

Yes, I'm nit surprised Hithfaerwen. That was one of the many nice features that went away with an upgrade and a hack around 2012.

Gandolorin said:I don't recall if I ever gave the "subscribe" bit a try after I joined in November 2013. I've always gone by the square thingy on the left side of a group indicating unread posts. I did mark one thread in the "Arwen-Undomiel" site that I joined recently with something corresponding to "subscribe", but deselected it again (at the beginning I was getting quite a few e-mail notifications, which started to bother me) as that site has a similar marking for groups where there are posts I have not read yet. So I can live without it, but that's just me. (I have nothing nearly approaching the issues Arveleg mentioned above.)

Yeah, the subscription email can be a bit much. I only use it on Arwen Undomiel for a couple threads where I'm interested in the topic but it may be a while before anyone ever replies to it. Some get daily replies, and I don't use it for that.

I've been consistantly vocal about my issues on this site since ... well since March 13, 2012, 21:15. That is the eternal 'last visit' of mine or so the site keeps telling me, and about the time of the "hack" that this place has never recovered from.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg said:... I've been consistantly vocal about my issues on this site since ... well since March 13, 2012, 21:15. That is the eternal 'last visit' of mine or so the site keeps telling me, and about the time of the "hack" that this place has never recovered from.

I think I've had that "Your last visit was: March 13, 2012, 21:15" message since day 1. Since I only joined over a year and a half later, I very soon shrugged at the message with a "yeah, whatever" response, and very soon after that it no longer caught my attention at all. Even though I'm about a year older than you are, Arveleg, in terms of first connection to the Internet, never mind CoE, I'm still a newbie. So occasionally, your (g)rumbles about "the good old days" does conjure up a lovable if occasionally curmudgeonly character from LoTR: Gaffer Gamgee.
From one old grump to another (my gripe is books vs. movies, as you may have noticed).

[Edited on 11/21/2017 by Gandolorin]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Ah... yes, this curmudgeon has had that book/movie gripe for nearly a couple decades....
I even found my rant on AU where I had it with the Pj'rs.

Anyway..... at least the chatbox works fairly well here....
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, but you're leaving / joining / leaving / joining / leaving / joining ... eh?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
... or not ...
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Nah! You love it here Arveleg, even with all it's annoying quirks.

The last visit date is actually the date that the site was transferred to the Wordpress system. It looks like Wordpress keeps its last visit dates somewhere else, so that field never gets changed. See? It's all very logical. Annoying but logical.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Lol... yeah.
As long as I don't get blacklisted again I may visit on occasion.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Does anybody have any idea where these CoE connectivity problems of maybe the last two weeks stem from? It’s starting to annoy me …
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:Does anybody have any idea where these CoE connectivity problems of maybe the last two weeks stem from? It’s starting to annoy me …

8O not. This is CoE afterall.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I'm guessing the issue is between the site and its host. No idea how to fix it though.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The site is now running on Rivka's own server which is also used for a lot of other things. I'm guessing we get low priority when it's busy or maintenance is under way.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The alternative would probably be no server ... like I already guessed elsewhere, sites like ours could be like doddering old pets, kept around for sentimental reasons. Me , I'm willing to be patted on the head ... Image
Justysia
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, how can I delete my account? Thanks.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Unfortunately, you can't delete your account. You'll need to PM (Private Message) gwendeth, our Accounts Admin, who will take care of it.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I was practically unable to log in to CoE for about the last two days (Tuesday 23 and Wednesday 24). If I did not get an error message, response times was in minutes, not seconds. And even the couple of times I did manage to log in, response times made posting useless, and at some point an error message put an end to things. Today response times are back to normal.
NenyaGold
Send Message
I was having the same problem, Gando. I couldn't even send a welcome message either day. It seems to be working well now.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Meh! Response times have been in the pits again (since about 7:30 PM CET, now 8:39 PM).
NenyaGold
Send Message
Yeah, that was earlier this morning. They have slowed since...
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
16:48 hours (4:48 PM) CET here now, and response times are OK; I'm starting to get a bit paranoid about the 18 to 20 hours (6 to 8 PM) CET time slot, perhaps when some scheduled routine checks (and if necessary, repairs) take place? My Kaspersky Internet Security normally does such stuff in the background, without too much interference with performance. But the recent Win10 mega update certainly took my notebook out until all the restarts were done with.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Perhaps someone with more tech knowledge can explain the Meltdown/Spectre problem, and how the patches/reprogramming required to circumvent it, will impact internet users.
<< First2021222324Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email