Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2122232425Last >>
Author Topic:
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Respones times in the pits again. 17:32 hours / 5:32 PM CET, took me more than five minutes from opening the link via favorites to get here. Trying again later.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
And, the Inbox is broken... I can't send a PM...
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, hello, Rivka is shown as online right now!

Ark! The PM / inbox / whatever function in the user panel on the bottom left is no longer being shown; fits with you post, Nenya.

[Edited on 02/03/2018 by Gandolorin]
NenyaGold
Send Message
It's working now.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, the “Messages” block on the left had disappeared, and then reappeared while I was online as above. Oddly, Rivka is still shown as online (busy) in the “Who’s Online” thingy on the right of the bottom (tool?) bar of the window. Going to browse the site now.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Response times in the lowest pits since Friday 9 Feb. After a few recent minutes of "only" sluggish response, they have just nose-dived back into the abyss again ...
GreenhillFox
Council Member
Send Message
To whoever it may concern...

I think something does not work properly with the members list. When you go to "Community" -> "Members list", a first page appears correctly, but no further pages can be called up since the first one keeps reappearing. Moreover, if you use the "Search users by all fields" field, a bunch of error warnings are displayed instead.
'There’s something mighty queer behind this.'
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Greenhillfox
I think ever since the website was transferred to the new server the community members list section as well as many other links on the site haven't been working.
However if you want to view a users profile you can write this in your browser.
http://www.councilofelrond.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname= and type anyone's username right after the last = symbol. Make sure to include any special symbols when typing the username though, as it will not work if incorrect.
For example,

http://www.councilofelrond.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=Lord_Sauron

[Edited on 02/18/2018 by Lord_Sauron]
GreenhillFox
Council Member
Send Message
Yeap, that link works here. Not entirely a useful solution though, but thank you for giving me the workaround.
'There’s something mighty queer behind this.'
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
Has anybody else's chatbar disappeared?

Mine hasn't been visible for maybe two weeks now (I have not checked every day, though). I have not knowlingly turned it off, but there isn't even any sign (such as the small arrow) to turn it back on. I have tried with a different browser, too (Firefox and Internet Explorer), but it's just not there... I am very confused as for what the reason might be.

Or supposing that I have in fact turned it off, is there a way to get it back, when there isn't even a small icon visible at the bottom of my window?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Gando had the same problem, Gwen. I'm not sure what he did to solve it. If you PM him, I'm sure he can help you.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Gwen,

In my Firefox browser, the bar at the bottom (which I’m assuming is what you mean by “chatbar”) is visible, and has a feature at its extreme right – two tringles pointing down – with the quickinfo showing “Close this bar”. When I click on it, the bar disappears, but in the place of the two triangles a “speech bubble” as known from comics appears, quickinfo “Start chatting!”. If I single-click on it with left mouse button, the bar reappears.

I have a different issue with Firefox, since the big update to “Firefox Quantum”, current version 58.0.2 (64-bit). There was a notice that Firefox no longer supports Java (scripts), which seem to be a prerequisite for the “Chatroom” (third option from the left in my bottom bar). The small window “Chatroom” still opens, but it is blank, and all functions have disappeared. The normal one-on-one chat function (third option from the right in my bottom bar) still works, oddly. But E~S sent me an invitation to a chatroom day before yesterday in this 1-1 chat windowlet, which ended up in some Internet Nirvana. I had to shut down Firefox and log in using MS Edge (which is a new function of Windows 10, I believe) for a functioning “Chatroom”. When I have tried the same with what is named “Internet Explorer” in the list of my “Start” button (under the heading “Windows Accessories”), I have not even been able to log in to CoE for some reasons.

As both E~S and Dolwen use some form of Firefox as a browser, I’m not sure why mine has rendered the “Chatroom” option non-functioning. Dolwen guessed that it might have something to do with different variations of Firefox existing in Europe and the US, despite superficially identical version numbers. Not entirely implausible, as the EU and the US do differ in some data privacy / protection regulations.
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Gando, for your input! Especially for pointing out the issue with Firefox browser's java support. Maybe that's the problem for me. Although, I had tried my Firefox 58, and a version of Internet Explorer, I had yet to try Chrome, which I installed just for this. Apparently with Chrome, my chatbar (yes, the bar at the bottom) does work as usual, it wasn't even hidden. So I guess it depends on the browser.

Unfortunately, I don't usually use Chrome, and I'm not sure I want to switch, but I don't know how to open the chat on Firefox. I can't even see the "speech bubble" or any other kind of icon on the bottom of the screen. But we'll see. At least now I have some way of accessing the chat if I want to...
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Gwen,

Since you do not mention MS Edge, does that mean that you do not have Windows 10?
As I mentioned above, when I used the Internet Explorer, which is distinct from Microsoft Edge under Win10 and listed under “Windows Accessories”, I am not even able to log in to CoE. The login homepage does get shown, but no matter how often I’ve tried, it simply does not log in, without the slightest error message to boot. Personally, I would also be very leery about Chrome, as I have an extremely low opinion of Google (and Facebook and Amazon and Twitter and …).

P.S. we actually had a chat today, with five participants, including a newbie to site and Weaver Realm, Noriah, who got invited spontaneously. Started at 6 PM Central European Time (now 8:27 PM) and lasted about two hours.

[Edited on 02/25/2018 by Gandolorin]
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
Win7 here, but my work computer is Win10 with Edge, so I guess I could try that. Like you, Gando, I'm not too fond of Chrome, but if worst comes to worst, I'll use that. My phone is an Android, so it's not like Google doesn't already have me tracked.

About the issue with login, I think I once had a similar problem, which stemmed from the fact that the URL address was http:// rather than https:// -- essentially Firefox refused to log in onto what it perceived was an insecure site.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
“http:// rather than https://” - interesting. My Firefox (or is it my Kaspersky Internet Security? Probably both ...) often warns me of potential security issues, but does not refuse to log in. That sounds more like a settings issue (and I thought my settings were restrictive! ) Just a guess, though …
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
The two browsers I use are Pale Moon (desktop - Windows 7), and Ice Dragon (laptop - Windows 10), both of which are Firefox-based, and considered "safe" in relation to the Meltdown/Spectre issue. I switched because Firefox kept "upgrading" and causing interface issues with my Kaspersky Internet Security and/or Malwarbytes.

I have not had any log-in or chat issues with either browser.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Response times are sluggish again, 15;23 hrs Central Europead Daylight Savings Time (so currently equal to GMT).
NenyaGold
Send Message
Ads? One very important thing I have always appreciated about CoE is it doesn't have ads. Now, it does... I'm sorry it has come to this... Maybe it's necessary for its survival?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
That's strange, I haven't seen any ads and I am on here daily.
NenyaGold
Send Message
They are showing up on the left side between the photo box and Users Online, and/or after Users and before Messages. I'm also on here daily and this is the first time I've seen them.

[Edited on 09/14/2018 by NenyaGold]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just checked, and I also do not see anything like what's in your above post, Nenya. Wild guess: I have some fairly severe blocking restrictions (at least I believe so) in my browser Firefox - or in my Kaspersky Protection in Firefox. It currently shows two anti-banner blocks, and eight NoScript blocks. But this is all wild speculation on my part.

[Edited on 09/14/2018 by Gandolorin]
Dolwen
Send Message
Good point Gando, I never thought of my adblocker on firefox being on. It's just always on so I don't think of it. The adblockers must work though as I never see a single ad on CoE, didn't even know we had them.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just checked my Firefox Scriptblocker (after logging on to CoE again), and one of the things I have in the list of blocked things is someting called "sharethis.com". I do not have the slightest idea what this (site?) is supposed to be or how it works. My Kasperky has blocked something with its "Anti Banner" function. As my knowledge about homepage design is zilch, I have no idea what kind of stuff might be behind these terms (though I would guess that "banners" might be what advertising pop-ups are). Now even some experts from Firefox and Kaspersky (the kind that have not been corrupted by Google, YouTube & Co.) might give me a puzzled look at some of my settings. Well, I consider my Internet paranoia to be on the healthy side - for myself, anyway. (occasionally, as when we do the Realm chat, I DO have to switch to MS Edge; fitting name, I'M on edge as long as I'm there ... Image )

[Edited on 09/14/2018 by Gandolorin]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
More of an oddity: since a few days, when I log in to CoE, I get following message:
"ERROR: Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser. You must enable cookies to use WordPress."
First time it happened, I closed my browser, reopened it, clicked on my favorite-button for CoE - and found myself loged in. Since then, I have simply clicked on "Forum" and am logged in, and things work absolutely fine.
Anyone else getting this message? It may have to do with my browser (Firefox) settings, or with the fact that I use my CCleaner program after each and every browser session - like when I'm done posting on CoE, I shut my browser down - in fact I have to - and run CCleaner before logging in to A-U.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Is there a reason you log out? Once a month or so it automagically boots me off and I have to log in, but other than that, I never log out, just close my browser or go to another site. I just logged out and back in and did not get the message.

What does CCleaner do?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
It has become necessary for the site owner to finally succumb and include ads. It's a big site and costs money to run. They might be regional ads which would explain why some people aren't seeing any.

There's been a few other changes to the site which might explain the odd login behaviour. Each of the three login options does different things for me. The one in the right margin gives that cookie error, the one in the left margin works ok and the one at the top of the forum page doesn't work at all. Can anyone confirm this?

Gando, the "sharethis.com" site is that bar which lets you share on fb, twitter etc. It's quite safe.

Nenya, it's considered bad practise now to allow forever logons and there's usually a timeout of a few weeks. Imagine your computer gets lost, stolen or you sell it and forget to clean it out. Anyone can impersonate you. To be safe always log out, especially on more important sites.

There have been a lot of new features added lately to OSs and HTML which means older systems and browsers can't display things properly. I know Palemoon has problems E~S, and I doubt they'll be updating it any time soon. It's volunteer run and they just don't have the wherewithall to keep up. Bit like this site really.

However I notice that the news section has suddenly awoken from slumber. PH is back and this time it's personnel.

Hmm. I'm not getting the cookie error now and the RH login works ok

[Edited on 09/27/2018 by tarcolan]
NenyaGold
Send Message
Tarcolan, all three log-ins just worked for me.

Not to worry. CoE is the only site I don't log out of so I don't think it's a problem, especially since it logs me out periodically. All the other sites I am a member of, such as my credit union, log me out when I leave them. And for those, I do not have my computer save my passwords.

The ads are now appearing at the bottom of the page instead of at the side. Much less intrusive. I figured they were added because of cost. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm thankful Rivka is keeping the site up and running.

Yay for PB's return!

P.S. The last few days we've been getting 40-50 new members each day! Not sure what they are doing, since few have introduced themselves, but it does show that it is still a valued site.

[Edited on 09/27/2018 by NenyaGold]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
NenyaGold said:... P.S. The last few days we've been getting 40-50 new members each day! Not sure what they are doing, since few have introduced themselves, but it does show that it is still a valued site.

[Edited on 09/27/2018 by NenyaGold]

Actual new members, really? The link to the members lists has never worked as long as I have been a member, late November 2013. But then I have very often seen usernames in the "Who's Online" thingy on the right of the bottom bar that were totally unfamiliar to me. They don't seem to post in the Forum, where one would find the unread marks. Maybe they like to use the chat functions, either the one-on-ones possible through "Who's Online", or the Chatrooms. Those shown in "Who's Online" are often marked "busy", and of course one does have the option of making oneslf "invisible" there ...
NenyaGold
Send Message
Rosarialelven and I are welcoming 10-20 new members each day lately. We have access to a list of all the newest members from which we PM them with our welcome message.

No idea what they are all doing on the site but I wonder if since the new school year started this month, some teachers are teaching Tolkien. It's certainly an increase since the summer days of two or three new members, if that.

Did you know that if you click on a member's name who has posted in the forum you can see their member number? One of the latest is fool_of_a_took_12 who has #158345 and joined around September 1st. We've had more than 100 join since then.

The search function on the Members List hasn't worked since the site was revamped. Not sure why.
Menegilda Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
Yay! The Site Reawakens!!! When I joined a few months ago, it only seemed like there were a handful of users.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Menegilda Brandybuck said:Yay! The Site Reawakens!!! When I joined a few months ago, it only seemed like there were a handful of users.

I would be quite happy for that to happen - especially former users becoming active again . But as I mentioned above, if I go by the Forum and the unread marks, whatever the newbies are doing it doesn't seem to be posting in the Forum. But as there may be other areas of activities - I made a wild guess at chatting - that I haven't taken a look at since my early days in very late 2013, I may be missing other activities by being a Forum nerd. Have you noticed any increased activities outside of the Forum, Menegilda?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:... Each of the three login options does different things for me. The one in the right margin gives that cookie error, the one in the left margin works ok and the one at the top of the forum page doesn't work at all. Can anyone confirm this?

Gando, the "sharethis.com" site is that bar which lets you share on fb, twitter etc. It's quite safe.

I can confirm by now that the login option in the left margin did not give me the cookie error. Not sure if this is a good thing. And as for "sharethis.com", you state that this lets you share on fb and twitter etc., tarcolan. Our opinions of what is "safe" certainly diverge very widely ...
Dolwen
Send Message
There's been a few other changes to the site which might explain the odd login behaviour. Each of the three login options does different things for me. The one in the right margin gives that cookie error, the one in the left margin works ok and the one at the top of the forum page doesn't work at all. Can anyone confirm this?

All three login options worked normally for me. No issues.

Edit: I got the cookie error message trying to log in on the right side option today, so guess it isn't consistent.

[Edited on 10/05/2018 by Dolwen]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Good things come to those who wait.
Names in the LH column of forums now works as a link to the profile.
<< First2122232425Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email