Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2223242526Last >>
Author Topic:
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
That's great! Thanks tarc I know that one has been on the list for a long time.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:Good things come to those who wait.
Names in the LH column of forums now works as a link to the profile.

Yay!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
"Fight for me and I will hold your oaths fulfilled. What say you?!"
"I can manage Thursday morning..."

Turn of the tide much? Just a fool's hope. If you have gripes and niggles make sure there's a dish of water in their cage. No really, now is the time to let us know of any problems you've noticed. I've taken note of most of the ones in this thread and elsewhere. At least the speed problem is better and there's fewer access problems. I'll be putting up a fix list in this forum when things get fixed. Yes I did say 'when'.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
When I login via the forum page I get this message.
Not Found
Apologies, but we were unable to find what you were looking for. Perhaps searching will help.
I then press the back button and I login successfully
tarcolan
Send Message
Yes, that happens to me as well. Weird eh?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I now login with the link on the bottom of the column on the left. No issues there.
Menegilda Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
Lord_Sauron the same thing happens to me.
tarcolan
Send Message
Yes, and if you try the right hand login you get a different error message but it still logs you in! Nice to have a choice of irrelevant errors, eh?
Menegilda Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
Yep! Aren't we lucky? XD
tarcolan
Send Message
Apologies to anyone for the downtime of the site, some necessary maintenance was underway yesterday. Unfortunately some recent posts may have got lost so if you have posted in the past 4 or 5 days please check to see if they are still there. Exciting times.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Sorry about that folks - but be very happy we have backups
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Well, this site was founded, what, 14 yers ago? In IT terms, I'm guessing that's equivalent to keeping a Model T automobile up and running. Just happy that it looks like I'll be able to pass my fifth anniversary here!

P.S.: Yikes, where's my avatar?!? Over to my profile ...

WHEW! Image

[Edited on 11/04/2018 by Gandolorin]

[Edited on 11/04/2018 by Gandolorin]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
16 years! March of 2002. I've been a member for 15 years, since February 16th, 2003. It amazes me it's been here for so long!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
March 2002! So just after Fellowship had been released to the cinemas, but before release of the EE. Lawks, I was "only" 46 back then ... Image
Rivka
Send Message
So just after Fellowship had been released to the cinemas, but before release of the EE

Yep, I pretty much ran out of my first viewing of Fellowship saying "I must start a fansite on this!"

It is pretty crazy, when you think about it. Most of the other sites that were up and running back in the day are long gone now, other than TORN and a few other biggies.

This site will stay up and running as long as the software can be maintained in a reasonable state without too much effort on my part - that I promise.

I'm making a big push right now to fix out all the bugs that have been plaguing us for the last few years, and hopefully I can get the site to a state that it can run along happily for a good long while. It's on WordPress, which isn't likely to go anywhere soon.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I'd had my first tentative steps into things Internet back in 1995, being involved full-time in a software development project within "my" company. E-mail, but we ued stuff by Lotus instead of MS, and we had Netscape Navigator (Mozilla Firefox's ancestor) instead of MS IE. That got shot down a few years later when the company (a large German elecronics conglomerate, sort of Germany's General Electric) started unifying software systems world-wide, so we started Microsofting (and the language got bluer ). Don't remember much about Internet stuff in the 1990s, a bit more about the aughts, but I didn't get online at home until 2013, about a month before I joined CoE. So my personal Internet "ancient history" is a bit one-sided, which may have rubbed off on my sceptical view of things Internet.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Thanks for the updates and dropping in to say hi, Rivka. It's incredible how long the site has been around, through high traffic and low traffic times. We'll be doing our best to assist with what we can.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lady_of_Darkness
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, I can log into my original account again! I don't have an avvy right now because I deleted it, but I changed my signature. I'll only be using this account from now on, so if any admin sees this message, can you please lock my other one (my username for that account is Lady Oakenshield). I should have kept this one, since I am so over Thorin (should have thought of that before I asked to get this one deleted)!

P.S. Would anybody know of some good sites to get a new avvy?
In the darkness you could hear the crying of women, the wailing of infants, and the shouting of men. Some prayed for help. Others wished for death. But still more imagined that there were no Gods left, and that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness. - Pliny the Younger, A.D. 79.
tarcolan
Send Message
Hi Lady_of_Darkness. Your other account has been deleted, no going back now. All your content on the site will be attributed to this name (I hope). Please also note that avatars cannot be uploaded to the site at the moment, you'll need to use an external link.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Had that "Error establishing a database connection" message again for a time earlier, maybe since 8 PM Central European Time Sunday. Both with Firefox and Edge. The error message popped up fairly quickly, whatever that means. Did some other things, and now, maybe on the third or fourth try (now 1:31 AM Monday morning here, got connected maybe 10 or so minutes ago) things are working fine.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Apparently it's a server issue and Rivka has notified them.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
"Users Online" is currently (Friday morning 11 Jan 2019 just past midnight) showing neither how many guests nor how many members are online.
NenyaGold
Send Message
My Private Messages are coming up blank...
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Now that you mention it, Nenya, same with mine. The Message Box shows 11 messages, but at least the four latest ones are empty (didn't check the rest, assuming the same issue).
Dolwen
Send Message
All my messages are blank too and I tried to delete one of them and it remains in my box even though I get a message that it has been deleted.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Mine are blank as well.
Rivka
Send Message
Hi guys - the Private Messages database table appears to be corrupted - I was going to pull from the latest backup, but it looks like you guys were seeing this from before then. My oldest backup is from 3/31 - hopefully that will be old enough!

Will keep you posted on the status of this. May take a day to fully get the PM backup in place (especially if the backup is corrupted as well).
NenyaGold
Send Message
Thank you, Rivka!
NenyaGold
Send Message
All of my PM's are back to normal! Even the one from April 1st, and that's no joke!
Dolwen
Send Message
Thanks Rivka
Rivka
Send Message
Well, the weird thing is, I haven't imported the DB backup yet! I guess the defrag and optimizations I was trying to run on the table last night finally went through.

From what I can tell, the table looks okay now, but the fact that it was having issues makes me a little nervous - if this crops up again, those of you that have me on Facebook Messenger, let me know asap.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Rivka!

Though I must confess that about the only thing that rang a bell was "defrag". Last time I used any program like that was with my tower that I "upgraded" (over 20 years ago!) with a "big" 4 gigB hard drive in addition to its regular 2.8 gigB one - and I split those up into 3 respectively 4 virtual drives (something to do with sectors and clusters, as foggy memory faintly suggests). I stopped all such tinkering with my 2008 tower (which is still a good deal more powerful than my 2013 notebook - but firmly offline).
Rivka
Send Message
So...we had some issues last night.

What happened: the database was initially corrupted probably a couple of weeks ago. Our backups were not able to get clean backups during this period. With a lot of effort last night, I was able to salvage *most* of the database.

Good news: we haven't completely lost the database.

Bad news: we lost some data. Areas of the site that may have been affected:

- chatroom saved chats completely lost
- user account data from the last 4 months is gone (meaning, if you signed up on the site in the last 4 months, you may have account issues - might want to just sign up again)
- some older forum posts may be gone
- a handful of older user entries from the Language workbooks

If you notice any other missing content on the site, please let me know - I may not be able to recover it, but I will give it my best shot.

Lessons learned: if you guys notice any "missing" data on the site in the future, let me know asap (over FB) - that means the database may be corrupted, and I will need to resolve it immediately.

[Edited on 04/12/2019 by Rivka]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks again for your efforts, Rivka!
NenyaGold
Send Message
Thanks, Rivka!

Two of our Mods whose names have accented letters are rather interesting...

Malinornë

~nólemë~

And our Realm, Yavanna Kementári ...
<< First2223242526Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email