Register

Author Topic:
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
Post RE: Finland?
on: November 01, 2005 08:17
Welcome abroad fogriipus! The more the merrier

And Morwinyoniel, you may be Galadriel's age but you also have Galadriel's amount of wisdom compaired to us kids
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 06:38
Wow, so many new people here in one go! Welcome back fogriipus! :hug:

I feel like a little kid in here! But it's great we have such a wide age scale in here!

Remember the storm and the tree I told you about earlier? I finally managed to upload the pics on the comp.
This and this pic me and my sister took at about 6:30 in the morning. It was still snowing and blowing hard.
This I took after coming home from school. It looked even worse than I'd have thought. Here, and here are some more pics.

Sorry Celebwen! Won't say any more to you btw, what season are we in? We're on the same one I think, though?
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: November 03, 2005 05:34
Most of the time you can't really notice the age differences here, and it's a good thing

Oh my, figwit, that was a big tree and so close to you caravan! You were really lucky. That caravan would have been totally crushed if the tree would have hit it.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: November 03, 2005 07:31
Most of the time you can't really notice the age differences here, and it's a good thing

That's true, and actually, it doesn't even matter in real life if the people have a common interest. Last weekend, I met some people I know from another website, and most of them were about half my age. We had a great evening.

And so far, I've met just one Finnish Tolkien fan who is in my age group. Most so called adults seem more interested in the latest blockbuster novels that nobody remembers a couple of years later.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 03, 2005 08:21
Thanks you all, for the warm welcome

To answer your question Celebwen, I don't have any special plans for the coming holidays yet - I'll travel to Lieksa (my home town) for christmas holidays and spend it very peacefully and just being lazy maybe some cross-country skiing and taking winter pictures.. And about the winter vacation in February, I actually don't have one because I study at university

So I bring some diversity to ages here, for I'm 21... but I totally agree what you've said about ages, I like the saying "age only matters if you happened to be a cheese" and it especially is true, like said, if people have the same interest(s). And I think there are Tolkien fans in any possible age group.

That's been quite a storm there, figwit! There has been a couple of stronger autumn storms here (I've awoken at night because of the wind and watched the trees being almost horizontally) but no broken trees, fortunately. You truly had luck.
The weather's now really boring, almost +10'C. Not that I wouldn't like the autumn with cold mornings, lovely color of grass and rainy dark nights, but.. I want snow!
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: November 03, 2005 08:49
I like the saying "age only matters if you happened to be a cheese"

*lol* True!! I was actually surprised but also happy to notice that there's people from 13 to 80+ in CoE. With the same interest everyone fits in and has a good time.

What are you studying fogriipus? Oh, and what can we call you? fog? riipus?
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 06:52
That's a great saying fogriipus! And I have to agree with all the rest of you. Age really doesn't matter if you have the same interests

We really were lucky yes. The weather's been the same here too, +8 degrees and rain. I really want it to get colder already, I hate this sort of weather *sigh*

fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 12:12
I'm studying 'physical sciences' - astronomy as my major and physics, theoretical physics and maths as minor subjects. :love: It's the third year now and after a few (...) more years of studying I hope I'll be a researcher (an astronomer) someday...
Just because of curiosity, what are your occupations guys/gals or what professions are you interested in?

People tend to call me fog
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 12:40
Wow, astronomy! That must be awsome!

I must have been standing right after you in the line when God was giving out brains... You took my part also Well if not totally, in physics and maths part anyway So I'm doing a rather average, boring computer work for KELA

Biology or veterinary science would have been interesting but not with my highschool merits And maybe I wasn't persistent enough to cover that with hard work...
Nixu
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 09:38
Hi all! Nice that here are so much of us Finns. Most forums where I hang around have only few Finns, so it's nice to see some more at some forums.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 06, 2005 04:40
Hi! More Finns showing up regularly...

And nah, I don't know about the brains, I'd rather say I just have enough interest and enthusiasm in such things to study them.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 06, 2005 10:34
You study astronomy fog? Cool!

Welcome Nixu! :wave: You know what? You have the same name as I call one of my friends.. You don't happen to be her?
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 08:02
Hello Nixu! :cheers: Another Nightwish fan, I see.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 11:11
Wow! We've gathered quite a group of Finns around us, haven't we? Welcome all of you I haven't greeted already :wave:

Figgy, I think we're in the same season alright. Emily and Richard are renewing their vows next episode (I think); big stuff happening! :love:
Anyways, enough about tv-shows. Those are quite some pictures, fig. And what a big tree! Good thing it didn't land on your caravan or sauna! :hug:

Ah, the snow in those pictures! The snow! :love: You won't forget to send me some, will you?

Fog, I think it's nice you're spending Christmas at home. Spending time with your family and all. Even though it's just being lazy. Studying 'physical sciences', you're quite the beta, aren't you?

Ah, don't feel dumb, Ainariel! :hug: You have a good head on your shoulders and a good portion of healthy craziness in there, along with a bit of rational thinking, too.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 08:03
*bumps thread*

Any news from the Land of A Thousand Lakes? Snow? Falling trees?
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 11:35
*wakes up*

Uh, yay, snow! Not very much of it yet though, but it finally stays on the ground all day! It's -6'C now, so it's hopefully getting more "wintery"... :love:
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 12:18
Oh yes! A bit of snow and -2 degrees and the darkness is gone :love: Now I just pray the snow will stay and we won't get any 'higher temperatures than ever in December' -weekends so that we will have a white Christmas...
Kathlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 04:38

Hey, I ve already talked here before, Im one-quarter finnish (finnish grandmother). My cousin Jonna from Oulo visited my family the week
before last. It was awesome - the first time Ive ever met her1
She told me some stuff about Finland. If anyone here could tell
me some more stuff about Finland and teach me a few words Id be really happy! Kat
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 17, 2005 06:09
It's been too longs since my last visit!

No, I'll remeber sending you some snow Cel! Don't you worry your pretty head with that

Hey Kathlyn! :wave: Nice to have some more Finns (or quarter-finns ) around! You can PM me anytime with questions about Finland, and the language (we can't speak finnish here)! Just holler if you need me!

No falling trees, and no snow either But today was the first day with under 0 degrees in a while! Yay! and it's getting even colder. I think they've promised snow for the weekend too! :love:
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: November 22, 2005 05:43
Hi Kathlyn! :wave: It's nice to see more and more Finns in CoE

The winter is having pretty hard time arriving again... All the christmas things are here but the snow really isn't Well, a few weeks left so there's still a bit hope, right?

And on a side note. When I was talking about California, now I have bought the plane tickets! So I'm going there on May! :disco: I'll be in San Francisco for a week and then and I'll meet Frodos_Cat (she's from my Realm) and be with her for two weeks! So snow or not, I have something to look forward to! :love: :disco: :disco: :love:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 03:34
Ooh! That sounds wonderful AP! *is jealous* Too bad it's in May, you'll have to wait a while. But that shouldn't be a problem i presume

It's been over 0 degrees again today, and whatever snow we had is now gone.. I want snow! Snow! *lol*
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 07:52
That sounds terrific, Ainariel! :hug: I hope the two of you have a great time together!

Still no snow here, though the temperature has been dropping. I haven't felt it, though, I've inside with a cold since.....Monday I can go to school tomorrow, which is good, 'cause I'm going ot GoF in the afternoon! :disco: :disco: Did any of you see it already?
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 08:11
That's great, Ainariel! Meeting people you know from a site like this is always interesting; I've had really good times with some people I know from another Tolkien site. :love:

The weather makes me even sleepier than I would be otherwise... :yawn:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 06:57
Oh wow Ainariel! That sounds really nice!
Now come to think of that, I'd really like to meet my dearest realm-pals, too. Unfortunately most of them are living so far away, I don't know if it'll ever be possible...

And Celebwen, I haven't seen it yet. Did you like it? I'm not particularly a fan (haven't read the books) and I don't even remember seeing the second movie, despite that my boyfriend keeps telling me that I have. Anyway, he's so determined to go see it with me so I think I'll watch it soon. Nothing against it, though.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 11:29
I saw it just a few hours ago, and I am sad to say I was horribly disappointed. I won't post any spoilers here, 'cause I know those are hard to resist But honestly, the books are just getting too think to be made into a film! It's impossible! And when I say I'm disappointed, I don't really mean the filming crew, because tey really did what they did and it looks great, it really does. But they had to make it so fast-paced that I nearly got dizzy just watching it! :dizzy: There are some really nice bits in it, mostly those that aren't hurried are the best. Like the graveyard scene and the scene where Fred and George just don't listen to Hermione.....they really should have

I do recommend you all go see it though, it's just something you have to have seen. I do hope that Warner Bros will just stop filming the books, because it's impossible to actually pull it off now.

Anyway, that was on GoF. There's snow predictied in the weekend! :disco: I don't believe a bit of it, but we'll keep on hoping!

Just a short edit to warn you all; if you haven't read the book, you won't get a bit of the movie. So take someone who did read it to explain it to you

[Edited on 24/11/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 25, 2005 10:13
*singing* Snow flakes are falling on my head..! Snow today! Yay, it came quite much, but i suppose it'll be gone soon.. but we can always hope

I saw it on the premiere night Cel And i have to disagree, i thought it was so much better than the previous ones. I just hated the third, but this was much better! of course i was disappointed throughout the film, but it was a positive surprise!
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 01:28
Hahaa! It sowed the whole day yeasterday, so now we have 5-10 cm snow! It looks so.... beautiful! :love:
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 01:39
Yes! We got snow too! :love: :love: Everything is so white and beautiful and peaceful... :love:

And as a side note. Not seen GoF and probably won't see it until from DVD later. I haven't read the books but I've seen the three films so far. Didn't like the third one very much...

Oh, and have you done your christmas shopping already? I haven't bought anything yet... I hate going to the city this time of year when it's so crowded so I always end up being too late :rolleyes:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 01:47
Excellent! I think whole Finland is covered in snow by now :heart: :heart: I just want to get outside and do snowangels! :blush:

No, no christmas shopping for me yet. Or i've bought one part of one present But have much more yet to buy.. I actually like christmas shopping! :love: at least when i can find something! but then when i don't seem to find anything or i'm out of ideas... :nono:
I should really start to get going, otherwise i won't have time to do it all..
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 02:30
Needless to say, I'm jealous of the both of you! Go outside! Make snow angels! :love:

Hmmm....I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet, but I'll manage. December is such a weird month for me. I mean, besides the fact that I'm just physically unable to plan ahead, I also have a lot of things that month. First, there's the holiday of Sint Nicholaas (also called 'Sinterklaas') on December 5th. It's mostly an excuse for children to get presents, but we still celebrate it, for old time's sake. Only now, we don't do presents, but surprises. We drew tickets (I got my little sister, again) and then you make a surprise for them and buy a small present. So the last week of November and the first days of December, I'm all focused on that. Then, exactly one week later, it's my own birthday, for which I still haven't organized a party. Then it calms down and I have to all my Christmas shopping before the 24th.

Teehee, that got me really confused when I was a kid. We always celebrated (aka, getting prezzies! ) Christmas on the eve of the 24th, according to Finnish tradition. But in the Netherlands, they celebrate it on the 25th, on Christmas Day. :dizzy: But we're just sticking to Christmas Eve. :disco:

Oh, I have actual Finland-related news today! Well, actually yesterday, but that's besides the point. We have in Rotterdam a so-called 'Merimieskirko'...er....Sailorschurch. It's a Finnish organisation for Finnish people in the Netherlands; they have language classes (my mum learned and taught Dutch there) and such. Once a year, they have a Christmas Bazaar; they have all sorts of Finnish merchandise, mostly food. :drool: It's the ultimate opportunity to get Finnish candy and cheese and cookies and pastries and bread......mmmmmmmm :drool:. So now we have Mariannes, Fazer Chocolate, Tyrkisch Peber, Fazer Mint, karjalanpieraka (oh god, how do you spell that? :dizzy: ). And I got a tea cup with Nuuskamuikunen (again, is that how you spell it?) on it! :love: My fave from my childhood cartoons

[Edited on 27/11/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 02:33
Yes, we've got snow here too - too bad that it won't probably last yet. The kids of our neighbours already made a snowman in their back yard.

I did some Christmas shopping on Friday; I didn't find everything yet, but some most important things though. I'll have to make at least one more shopping round; fortunately, we've never given masses of presents in our family, just a few but desired ones.

I spent most of yesterday at the ELMA fair, patting cows and sheep and other domestic animals and gathering a pile of travel brochures. Sometimes, I feel that I'd like to quit my current job, move to the country, and start keeping a bed & breakfast place. I just don't believe that it will ever happen.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 06:04
That sounds really cool Cel! And your spelling was almost right, just mist a fev double 'k's and such
You're birthday's on the 12th right? I remembered!

I think i know what you mean Morwinyoniel, though i don't have a job, i sometimes feel like dropping everyhting i'm doing and move to an exotic country or whatever... oh those dreams! :heart:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 09:05
Yay, snow here too, today

I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet, because I haven't got any money (yet, I hope). No prob though, I'll probably give a book to every member of our family (it's 8 together, if my boyfriend's family isn't included)... And that shopping is easy via some book club. Nevertheless, I'll definitely go and wander around the shops in the mid of the month, just to feel the atmosphere. And I don't mean the rush! The decoration, joyful people, etc.

Now, I've told you so much about my boyfriend (or actually we're engaged, but I don't know what he's then - a spouse?) that he would get angry if he knew (no, not really) but I have to tell you he's the one most excited about Christmas of the two of us. We just bought the supplies to make own Christmas cards and he's done almost all already, while I was thinking that we'll make them, at the earliest, in the first week of next month. Are you guys going to send any cards?

Cel, nice to hear that you've some touch to Finnish food there! I hope the karjalanpiirakka's you got really are good, for I'm native of the eastern part of the country, an area called Pohjois-Karjala (Northern-Karelia), and karjalanpiirakka's, well, as the name says they're originally from the area of Karjala (Karelia). And I tell you, the karjalanpiirakka's we got even here in Oulu, they are nothing compared to the real thing!

Then about something else... How are your realms doing? I'm asking this because our realm Oromë is awfully quiet these days. There is just a bunch of active people and no new members for a few weeks now. That bunch is determined to start doing something about this soon, anyway, just wanted to know how things are in your realms...

---

Edited to add some more things...

[Edited on 27/11/2005 by fogriipus]
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 08:02
And now, it's raining again.

We will send Christmas cards to our closest friends and those relatives with whom we are in contact. This year, there are also a few CoErs on my list.

About our realm... There's a small bunch of activists that hang on the Vairë forums daily, and at times even come up with something relevant. I think that's the situation in most other realms as well.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 11:32
Fog, it's so fun to hear you're making your own Christmas cards. I'm sending out car as well, or more handing out to my friends, but I just bought them. They're afwully cute, with a white bear on them. :love:

You're engaged? When? I mean, how long? Belated congrats, anyways. I think he's your fiancé now.

The karjalanpiirakka's are indeed very very tasty, but then again, I've always eaten these. Maybe I never had a 'real' one. But hey, they're good and that's what matters.

On the Realms; as you may remember, I was a member of the Oromë Realm as well, a while back. The reason I stepped out, was that I got little response there, you know? Like I was in the Birthday Brigade, and I know for a fact that only a small fraction actually read the ecards.
I'm still looking for a new Realm, though I have had little time to actually do that. I sometimes even wonder whether I should have stayed; whether I could have changed things.....
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email