Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Finland?
on: November 30, 2005 02:56
Cel, sure I remember you were in Oromë! :hug: Well, I think if it just didn't feel that way then it plainly wasn't the right realm for you. I hope you'll find the one, be it Oromë or not.

And thanks for congrats, we're actually been engaged for over a year now. What's a bit new and exciting about it, is that we moved together only a few months ago. *happy*

Then, back to more Finland related things... I don't know if it is just my imagination but it feels that Finland has been popping up quite a lot in foreign tv-shows lately..? Of course, anyone knows this Conan O'Brien thing, but then, in some show on MTV they we're visiting Finland and in The Simpsons they mentioned Finland as a member of the UN, and... I know I know, we maybe shouldn't pay so much attention to it, but we as a people are so keen to know what others think about us... Any thoughts?
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 05:44
Congrats to you Fog! :hug: I didn't know you were engaged! All the best wishes for you and your fiancé :love:

I'm sending quite a lot cards this year, mostly to my realmers It's going to be fun! But i bought my cards as well, i'm not that handy with paper and stuff :blush:

I noticed that too about Finland! This Conan thing is just so hilarious, and he does look awfully like Halonen! I think Finland was mentioned in a film that came a while ago too I think it's really interesting to hear Finland mentioned in TV series
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 12:27
I think it's awsome that Finland is getting attention in TV and that Conan thingy was just great! But not only it's fun but I think it means that other countries are finally getting the idea that we are not a state of Russia or something. Would be about time too
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 07:31
I have no idea what 'the Conan thing' is, but it sounds funny.

What you said just reminded me of something, AP. In history class last year, we had the topic of WWI. We got a cartoon handed out, in which each country was signified by an animal or object or something, and the assignment was to link the countries to their representatives. When we were dicussing the outcomes, it seemed that a lot of people had linked a polar bear, that came from the direction of Russia, to Finland! I immediately launched into a rant to my friend how that was pretty impossible, seeing as how Finland was part of Russia in that time. I'm not sure what the polar bear stood for.....something with Russia....
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 08:22
'The Conan thing' is that Conan O'Brien saw a picture of Finland's president, Tarja Halonen, and in his show he showed everyone a picture of her and himself side by side saying how they look the same. Both have red hair and he managed to do a face that actually looked a bit like Halonen
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 02, 2005 07:28
Yes and to add to that, last spring they made a joke about every country so people would send angry cards, and they would see in which countries people watch the show. They got a massive pile of cards from Finland! And now they had been wondering why there always is at least one person from Finland in their live audience. So they figured it out that their show is quite popular in Finland... The latest rumours have been that Conan will come to visit Finland...
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 06:18
Happy Independance Day my fellow Finns!! :cheers:

Hope you all had a wonderful day!
Me and my choir were part of the concert in Länsiauto Areena, at about 4 o'clock it was really fun! :disco: And TV 2 sent it live
Soon going to watch the ball! Always like to comment on everyone's dresses :rolling:
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 06:21
Happy Indepence Day! :cheers:

I've been spending mine doing work. Been here over 11 hours, still 40 mins left. And I'm probably not going to watch the ball, I'm so tired...

You should have told us earlier so that we could have watched you from TV fig! I hope your concert was good
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 06:58
Happy Independance Day! :disco: :cheers:

I didn't quite remember it, but the day isn't over yet.
Ah poor you, AP! :hug: Well, just a few more minutes and you can leave.

I hope your concert went well, figgy! :hug: I would have loved to see it

~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 10:13
Oh my AP, hope you can at least have a good night's sleep!
Thanks you two, the concert went excellent! At least nobody made a mistake or something
I should've told you that,yes. Just didn't cross my mind!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 10:48
Ah yes... Happy Independence Day all Finns!

I wish too I had known about your concert fig! I haven't done anything special today so I would have had the time to watch it...

Ooh, except I stayed in the kitchen staring at the two candles I lighted at 6 pm for two hours I knew if I had gone elsewhere I would have forgotten them. I watched the ball here and there. Some dresses were really nice!

Now I'm going to play some MOHAA (WWII game) to honor the independence in the spirit of the Winter War!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 10:54
I just thought I could ask... now when there are no new LotR movies to get, do you have any wishes concerning Christmas presents? Anything related to LotR?
Taralome
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 11:59
Here s one more finn fore you people!! Actually not finnish-speaking at all...but I do live in finland... My language is swedish, so I´m one of 200 000 swedish-speaking finns... Are there any fellow swedish-speaking finns here??

I live near the town of Vaasa...in a nice little village!!

Well then...what is so good with finland...hmm...!? Well i like the winters in finland because I have sleddogs...so the winters are necessary for my hobbie... Would like to live further north...but you take what you get... Finland is the best country in the world!!

Yours Taralome!!

:heart:
Ode of Ancient Obsessions
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 08:39
Hiya Taralome! :wave:
Välkommen hit bara! I'm Finlandsvensk, so I speak both Finnish and swedish fluently
No way! We have (or actually had.. ) a summer place in Vasa, Sundom! You know it?

I've actually one LotR related present on my list, Fog! It's the EE for TTT Never had the change to buy it myself, so now it's on the list! :love:
Taralome
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 01:59
Tack!!

I barely speak any finnish at all...but I´m still a finn...kind of...Yeah!!

Off course I know where sundom is!! I´live a bit further north along the coast...in the little village Västerhankmo!!:love:

I want all extended dvd:s as a christmas present!!

Yours Taralome:heart:
Taralome
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 02:08
By the way...(out of topic...but anyway...) I saw The Ark (the swedish band) live in Vaasa yesterday...I´m in heaven...just had to say it...it wast soo nice!! I love their singer Ola Salo...:love: Are there any other Ark fans here??

Ola Salo said that he and the band loved finland!! The guitarist said that he had at first thought that most finns where som calm and quiet...that they would not have so good shows here...but he was wrong...everyone sang along in the songs...and many went totally crazy when they saw Ola salo...
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 09:25
Hi Tara :wave: Great to see our group growing I think I've heard of 'The Ark' but can't connect it to anything right now...

My LotR present wishes... Well, in theory I would have liked the TTT EE gift set because I don't have that Gollum statue (I do have the EE though ) but I won't get that. But I'd like the Ringers DVD as well as the english Silmarillion illustrated by Ted Nasmith. The latter I probably have to buy myself.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 10:35
Hi Taralome, and welcome!

I've nothing LOTR related on my Christmas wishlist, but I sort of bought myself a present: the collection of Middle-earth maps by John Howe. There's nothing new for me in them, but they're just beautiful.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 04:34
Hi again, Tara! :hug: Glad to see you join us

Hmmm...the Ark doesn't ring a bell, at least not a musical one. It does remind me of Indiana Jones, but that's another story.

Oh wow, Middle-Earth maps by John Howe! Those must be beautiful! :love: I love his art, I really do.

On my list, nothing LOTR related. I have a short list anyway; I don't know what I could ask for. Besides books, of course I'm happy with what I already have.

Just a question, does any of you have a Christmas Calendar? I have one of Fazer; the chocolates are delicious! :drool:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 04:59
I know The Ark, Tara, but I haven't listened to them that much. Not really my style!

Happy Birthday yet again, Cel! :hug: :love:

You have a Fazer calender? That's so unfair, i want one too! :drool: I haven't had chocolate calenders for ages! :sob:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 06:36
Oh, Happy birthday, Cel! :hug:

Hi Taralome! I've heard about The Ark, but... that's it... haven't listened to them.

Wow, I would like to have that map collection too! Well, that's one thing on my wishlist others related to LotR are a calendar (whichever, this year's was art by Tolkien) and any book I still don't have, like LotR in English or different Tolkien and Middle-earth handbooks or quiz books... but ANY book really would be warmly welcome, especially astronomy or history/war-history books...

I don't have a christmas calendar with chocolate (although I drooled when I saw that Fazer calendar), but just this lot calendar from which we probably won't win anything...

[Edited on 12/12/2005 by fogriipus]
Taralome
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 07:14
That map collection sounds really nice!! :drool: I have a slight obsession with maps... :blush: Books...

I want books!! It would be so nice to have the trilogy illustrated edition (by Alan lee)...I would never by it because I already have the trligy...but as a gift it would be very welcome!!:love:

Yeah...what kind of finn doesn´t like fazers chocolate?? I´m usually no fan of chocolate...but i make an exception for christmas!! I just drool right now thinking of fazerina irish ceram... But I like ritter sport chocolate too... :drool:

Love Tara!!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 01:02
Uh, it seems people are planning on the holidays, for it's starting to be quiet in the forums...

I won't be saying much either, only that I just found an interesting comment by a Norwegian, who was pondering on the Tolkien's peoples' relations with real nations.
He sees an obvious link between "the 'English' riders of Rohan or the 'French' people of Gondor", and Tolkien using " 'mad, red-haired, claymore-wielding Scottish barbarians' and 'furious, church-burning Scandinavian berserkers' as models for some of the bad guys", and turning his pagan forefathers into the fighting Uruk-Hai. So, he explains, because of this he can but feel more drawn to these bad guys than to the good guys, and see Vikings as if a part of "the dark forces".

Well, we all know Tolkien liked Finnish, but what's interesting, this Norwegian says: "The elves were fascinating, beautiful and especially their immortality and closeness to nature was cool" but "Even the elves were somewhat alien, as Tolkien used Finnish when he created their language - and used the Finns as a model when created them. They actually have a lot in common with the Elves too, as they live in what is basically a large forest (Finland) east of the Scandinavian mountains ("The Grey Mountains"). Earlier they lived in Northern Russia, in the vast ("Mirkwood"? [Darkwood]) forest just west of the Ural mountains. They are also a very fair (blonde) people, and like the elves they are somewhat silent, melancholic, special and distant. Mysterious, if You like. To me, the language of the elves sounded alien and incomprehensible - just like Finnish is incomprehensible - while Orcish and Black Speech obviously was based on the language of my forefathers."

Interesting discussion in all, but I never had thought anyone, especially not a Finn, could imagine such a clear connection! Any thoughts arisen?

Edit:
Added that Viking -part.

[Edited on 19/12/2005 by fogriipus]
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 04:09
Phew, i'm back and running again! Our computer broke down earlier this week, so haven't been able to log in. The problem's fixed tho, we bought a new computer yeasterday!

wow, that's really interesting fog! And it's cinda cool to think that we Finns resamble the Elves that much..!
Really nice article, where did ya find it??
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 11:36
Merry Christmas to you all! :cheers: :disco:

It is quite an interesting point made in that article, though I find some arguments a bit too subjective; like Finnish sounding as incomprehensible as Elvish. But still an interesting point.

Just a question; when are you guys opening your very first Christmas present? I just opened one with breakfast

Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 01:26
Merry Christmas, everybody! :cheers: :wave:

I didn't open any of my presents until this evening - but, on the other hand, I already knew to an extent what I was going to get.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 01:16
Well, I hope you all had nice Christmas time!

I opened my presents on Christmas Eve, except the one I got yesterday. I got wonderful presents! The ones related to lotr were Hobbit -calendar for next year and TTT chess set! I got that from my little sister :love:

I'm still on vacation till the second week of January and away my home, so I'll be on Net only occasionally... but still here.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 05:18
Merry Belated Christmas everyone! :cheers:

I didn't open any presents until the evening, i'm quite happy with myself for that!
I didn't get anything LotR related tho, but it's alright, i got lots of other nice things I got this wonderful painting from IKEA, with a beach and footprints.. it's wonderful! :love:
Hope everyone else got nice presents as well!

I'm so excited, coz LOST is starting here next year!!! the 26th of january if i'm not mistaken! I've been waiting so long to hear if they're gonna show it here
Taralome
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 07:24
Oh..so you like LOST too?? I love it!! I´ve been watching it from swedish television...because I live in pohjanmaa I have both swedish and finnish TV!!:love: I get to see twise as much nice shows...

In sweden LOST is starting again in the beginning of next year...I cannot wait!!
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 11:39
I hope everyone had a nice Christmas :heart:

Mine was very quiet, being with my family. But I got a Hobbit calendar and the Ringers DVD Among with some other nice stuff

I'm also looking forward to LOST. Only because I'm curious but who knows if I'll get a new TV show that I will actually watch regularly. I thought they'll never show it here... :rolleyes:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 08:32
Christmas was fine! Not so special tho, like every X-mas before, or almost
What's everyone got planned for the new year? anything special?

That sounds wonderful Tara We only have SVT Europa down here, and i don't wach it that often anymore..
I wish LOST would start already, i want to see if it really is that good as everyobody keeps telling me :rolling:
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 11:43
My Christmas was also a quiet one, just being at home with the family. On Boxing Day, I and my older daughter went to see the Wallace & Gromit movie, though.

I don't think that we'll do anything special on New Year's Eve either, just drink some glögi and watch the fireworks. And I, of course, will probably hang online for part of the day.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 02:46
Just wanna wish everyone a Happy New Year 2006!!
:cheers: :cheers:
May it bring you all that you wish for! :hug:
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 02:43
Happy New Year! :disco: :cheers: :disco:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 03:16
Yay, Happy New Year 2006 everyone! :cheers:

I don't know when I'll remember to write 2006 instead of 2005, again...

I was in Joensuu celebrating the new year. Everyone's starting to get a bit bored in this little town of Lieksa. Nothing special there though, just saw some friends that I hadn't seen for a looong time.

I'm longing back home and start "normal" life already... still a week of holiday left...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email