Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
Post *Eye of the Storm* (See OOC to join)
on: June 10, 2004 09:38
Hi guys! See "World War II rp" in OOC to join!

May 12, 1942
U.S.S Orion
North Atlantic

Lilly McCrea was deeply absorbed in Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities, or at the very least, she was trying to be. A canvas curtain was all that separated her from the amused howls of half a dozen teenage boys. They were so loud that it was hard to believe they were not drunk.
Lilly sat in the chart room of the Orion, nestled amongst a pile of striped cushions, reading by the meager light of a wall –mounted lamp. Seven months…..and they’re still a bunch of buffoons. The peaceful solitude of Lilly’s little world had been shattered when her uncle had taken on a bunch of troublesome prep schoolers from Boston. They were rowdy, irresponsible, and smart-aleck for the most part. None could sail if their lives depended on it and her uncle felt it necessary to straighten them out. Most of their parents had been only too happy to be free of their rebellious teens for a year and had paid Capt. Sheldon good money to see their boys reformed.
And here she was, stuck in the middle of the ocean, the 85 foot schooner she called home invaded by a bunch of hooligans.
With an exasperated sigh, Lilly lowered her book, giving a knowing look to her aunt, Grace Sheldon, who sat at the chart table, plotting their course.
Grace gave her a tired smile.
“They’ll be like that till the next watch. Why don’t you go up on deck and see if your uncle needs a hand. I’m sure he’d be happy to have a competent sailor up there.” Grace’s eyes twinkled as she said it and Lilly couldn’t help but laugh.
“Tell me about it.” Rising from the bench, Lilly grabbed her rain gear and pulled it on. “See you at supper.” she said, disappearing through the companionway door.
Lilly was greeted by benign grey drizzle. The teak wood deck pitched in the choppy water as Lilly worked her way aft to the cockpit where her uncle stood.
“Any break in the weather?” she asked.
“No”
Lilly could tell by her uncle’s tone that he was not happy. “What happened, skipper?”
“Tray broke the mainsail tackle.” he said flatly. Lilly shook her head and turned her gaze toward the ship’s bow. She saw Carl Peterson, the English professor and lifelong sailor kneeling on the deck, mending the broken tackle with a sour look. Tray, the offender, stood near the starboard rail looking somewhat disgusted.
Suddenly the wind changed, and the ship’s canvas began flapping insistently as the boat slowed from loss of wind. Now it was the skipper’s turn to look disgusted. Grabbing the wheel, he wrestled the ship a couple points to starboard and the sails filled. But in that brief moment the weather had turned sour and the gales tore at the sails, flinging the boat forward and heeling her over.
“I’ll go reef that.” said Lilly and made her way to the mast before her uncle could ask.
With practiced skill and even grace, Lilly took in the sail, ignoring the teenage boys that stood nearby looking sullen, annoyed, and even nervous. The job was over in minutes and, satisfied with a job well-done, Lilly ambled over and stood by the rail. The Orion’s deck rose and sank between swells, sending showers of cold salt spray to drench the deck with every plunge, but Lilly hardly noticed. She was comfortable at sea, even in rough weather. Shielding her eyes from the drizzle, she peered out toward the horizon. The dark, angry clouds of a growing squall sat low on the curve of the world, just above a featureless grey curtain of rain.
As she looked out at the horizon something caught her eye. A dark mass rising out of the obscurity. She studied it for a moment before jogging to grab a pair of binoculars. With these in tow, she scurried up the ratlines for a better vantage point. With one arm looped tightly around the rope ladder for security, she held up the binoculars and craned them in the direction of the unknown object.
What looked to be a round black hull materialized out of the dimness. Some word or numbers was painted on the side of it, but Lilly couldn’t make it out. The object sped towards them at an alarming rate, throwing up a huge bow-wave in the dark sea, though it was still two miles distant. What the….“Starboard bow ahoy!” she yelled at the top of her lungs, praying to be heard in the now howling gale.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: *Eye of the Storm* (See OOC to join)
on: June 12, 2004 06:52
Ginger lay in his hammock, listening to the rush of the wind and rain outside. He couldn’t deny that he was slightly bored, but his brother had just gone on deck to ‘check things out’. He wished he hadn’t. He was sure that it wasn’t safe out there, in these conditions.
He picked up his diary, and dismally flicked through the pages. He now regretted what he’d written; Sarcastic comments about the weather, and sailing in general. He sighed, and considered going to look for his brother, in the rain.
On deck, Ollie stared around at the sea, which seemed to be attacking them on all sides. As he stood still, well, as still as you could stand on the rocking and tipping deck, a high wave struck him full in the face, and he stumbled, seizing a railing. Salt water stung his eyes, he coughed, spitting out sea water, and he felt someone grab his shoulders. He could just make out the shape of his brother standing beside him.
“You OK?” Ginger asked.
“Yeah, fine.” Ollie spluttered in reply. In spite of the conditions on deck, Ginger laughed. Then a faint cry reached his ears, half-snatched away by the fierce wind. He frowned, and glancing upwards, he saw the figure of Lilly clinging onto the mast. He didn’t fear for her safety, everyone knew how experienced she was, but… what was she shouting?
“Hey, shh…” He spoke to his brother. Ollie stared up too, listening hard.
“Starboard bow ahoy?” Ollie questioned. Ginger nodded.
“That’s what it sounded like to me.” He raced over to the skipper, shouting what Lilly had shouted.
Ollie turned to face Starboard, and strained his eyes to see what was wrong. Then, as the waves dipped, he saw it. Suddenly he felt almost sick with fear, and clutched the rail. This was not good… not good at all.
Ginger reached the skipper, Lilly’s uncle.
“Skipper! Starboard bow ahoy!” The skipper looked askance at Ginger, but turned to the Starboard side.

((is this long enough?))
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 03:06
Rand was sitting in his bunk listening to the sound of the storm out side. The waves were rocking the boat violently causing him to nearly fall on to the floor. Rand cursed under his breath and made his way out of the cabin. Seven months of tortcher. What had his mother been thinking?! Sure he had been a little rebellious, but to send him on a stupid ship to get his act together was a little much. “If only I were eight-teen!” He said to himself, “Then I would be able to join my father in the military. Not stuck on some stupid boat!”

The rain was falling in streams and he could barely hear his own voice above the wind. Faintly he heard what sounded like Lilly’s voice calling, “Starboard bow ahoy!” Rand rushed to the starboard side and peered through the rain and faintly saw a boat near by. He tried to make out the markings on it’s side, but it was too far away for him to get a good look. Looking over to where Lilly was standing on the rope latter he called up to her. “What is it?”

((I hope that was ok.))
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 10:58
Lilly continued studying their visitor. It was now a mile distant, or so she guessed and as she watched it sank from view. This did not relieve her anxiety. She blinked and hastily wiped at the binocular lenses before looking again. It was gone.
Lilly was so absorbed in it that she’d failed to notice the flurry of activity below her. All weatherly eyes were turned in the direction of the approaching craft and if not for the roaring of wind and waves, she might have heard the collective gasp from those on deck when it vanished.
A sudden wind gust sent the Orion healing yet again; reminding Lilly she was safer on deck. Hesitantly, she took of few steps down so that she stood no more than five feet from the deck.
“What is it?” someone called. Lilly turned to see Randall standing below her. She climbed down to deck level before acknowledging the question. “I’m not really sure.” she said, more to herself than Rand. The teen didn’t hear her. “What?”
Lilly looked at him and waved him off impatiently, heading for the helm.
Capt. Sheldon stood by the starboard rail, while Carl Peterson stood at the wheel. “Skipper?” she said tentatively. Her uncle slowly turned to face her.
“I suppose that’s all of it.” he said sharply. “It’s gone now. No use mulling over it, we’ve got a ship to sail. “
Lilly stared at her uncle for a moment, frustrated by his reaction, before turning to follow orders.
The crew battled the squall for another 45 minutes, before it wore itself out and dissipated, revealing a swift setting sun. The crew finished up their chores and took in the sails that they might enjoy a quiet evening (as to the ship) and festive evening below deck.
To reward the tired, soggy watch of exhausted teens, Mrs. Sheldon, together with the few culinary hands onboard, made a feast of Tuesday’s deep sea catch. Good food left the other half of the crew, who had not been on deck during the storm or the ominous sighting, talkative and jovial, while the previous watch, captain included, ate in relative silence. When the other half of the crew had gobbled their food and reported on deck, some of the tired teens staggered off to their hammocks, while the handful that had actual seen the mystery craft were too jittery to sleep.
Lilly sat in her customary seat, to the left of her uncle, fidgeting with her napkin. She’d been dying to discuss the sighting all through dinner, but said nothing, knowing full well that her uncle would mention it in his own time. Finally after excruciating silence, he did.
“What do you make of it, Lilly? You saw it first.”
“It wasn’t a ship to be sure.” she said haltingly. “I think it was a submarine. And not like any I’ve seen, but what else could it be?”
She looked cautiously at the others who sat at the table, praying they would speak up.
gabriel_legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 11:24
Geoff Robinson recalled the haunting image of that mysterious craft, slowly melting away. He wasn't sure what was it that was so unsettling, but there was something about it that made him uneasy. Had he felt a sting of fear? Ruffling his red hair nervously, he tried to go to sleep. Tomorrow would be another long day. Unfortunately, the only thought that filled his mind was a unhappy one.

Two months ago, he had lived in an ordinary American home in an ordinary neighborhood. He went to an ordinary high school. Who knew that a incident would get him expelled? Sure, it was a mistake, something he regretted, but it cost him more than he barganed for. He shook his head involuntarly at the picture of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robinson with gray expressions on their faces. Of them telling him about his punishment.

"Think of it as an adventure, living on the high seas wouldn't be so horrible, would it?" voiced his mother.

His father, on the other hand, wasn't so sorry to let him go. The only farewell he had recieved from him was a grunt.

Living on the high seas would not be so bad... or so he tried to convince himself to think. It was very different. That was about the only good news. Their captain was strict and the moment he laid eyes upon Geoff, well, there wasn't anything too wonderful to mention. Lilly... she was a different story. Of course, she carried a commanding air wherever she chose to walk, though she must have had a quality Geoff admired. She wasn't like the girls back home, yet she was a light among the dreary ocean. Shifting himself to a more comfortable position, he fell into a quiet slumber.

Mysterious crafts don't just melt away... they always reappear in those horror movies...

This isn't a movie... and even if it was, well, it just wouldn't happen.
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 05:16
Rand was frustrated when Lilly waved him off. "Why does she keep treating me like that?" He thought to himself. Going back below he laid down on his hammock and thought about the grey object so close to their ship. Several minutes after he laid down the call was made for dinner. Rand rose and joined the others for their evening meal, though he wasn't very hungry. He was waiting to see if the Captain was going to bring up their strange siting. At last he did, but it turned out the question was turned back to him by Lilly. "It could have been a submarine..." Rand said cautiously, eyeing Lilly. "I really couldn't get a good look at it."

After their meal, Rand excused himself and went back up on deck. The rain had stopped for the pressent and several stars could be seen shining through the broken clouds above. He missed his father so much, though he would never share with any of the other boys that. He and his dad were the best of pals, but now they were separated by the thread of war and a stupid ship that was suposed to straighten his attitude out. Rand sighed, "I guess the only thing to do would be to go along with it." He said to himself. Then his thoughts turned to Lilly, "She must think I'm a jerk." He said quietly so no one could hear him. "If only she would take the time to get to know me before she jugded me. She needs to get her head out of the sails for a while and realize that just because someone has a problem and they don't know very much about boats, doesn't mean they are a horrible person."
Fair_Lady_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 10:39
Ralph sat quietly, trying to figure out if Freddie was bluffing or not. Freddie sat smirking, tapping the cards in his hand on the table impatiently.
Ralph and Freddie were good friends now, since they moved onto the boat. They'd got in quite a bit of trouble too, not that they cared very much. Both hated their parents, with the exception of Ralph who was affectionate of his mother.
Ralph lay down his cards, biting his lip. Freddie laughed, "Full house!" He said, putting his arms around the prizes that had built up on the table and pulled them towards him.
They sat for a while in silence, when Ralph asked, "What do you think that thing was, that Lilly spotted?"
Fredide shrugged, "She was probably imagining it. Living at sea for a long time does things to your mind, you know,"
"Come on- I feel like some fresh air,"
"Go yourself! Need me to hold your hand?" Freddie laughed again. Ralph gave him a friendly punch before going up.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 07:38
Ollie gazed down at the water splashing on the hull of the ship. Ginger was standing impatiently next to him, wishing that he could do something... not just staring into space being a useless idiot. He tugged at his brother's sleeve, and tried to drag him below deck.
"Hey.. gerroff!" Ollie pushed Ginger away, mumbling something about not liking the movement below. Unluckily, Ginger tumbled over a coil of wet rope, and slid over, ending up a few metres away. Ollie laughed, and Ginger gave him a joke murderous glare.
Together they began to walk across the deck. They were twins, and somehow they stuck together. Always looking out for each other, always doing the same thing. They probably wouldn't have done this if they weren't twins, and just ordinary brothers. Somehow, people expected them to act like one.
Ollie started humming, and Ginger rolled his eyes. Before they had left on the trip, both of them had attended the town choir. Their parents had forced them to go, but now without it, they found they were actually missing it.
"Shut up..." Ollie grinned, and so did Ginger. Then Ginger pointed ahead of them.
"Look - There's Ralph."
"And Freddie. Come on!" Ollie started to run across the slippery deck towards the two boys. Ginger called out, the words half smothered by laughter. The ship turned, causing Ollie to skid the wrong way, and he crashed against a railing.
His brother rushed up to him, and dragged him over to Freddie and Ralph, who seemed to be watching their antics with slightly puzzled expressions.
"Er.. sorry." Said Ollie, before cracking up again. Ginger put on mock-severity.
"You'd think he'd have learned to behave by now.. 15 and a half, and still with the mental age of a two year old.." Ollie punched him playfully in the stomach, and the four of them sat down on a dry patch of the deck.
"So... what have you been spending all the time doing?" Ginger asked Ralph. He was finding it hard to find stuff to occupy himself with. There was, in his opinion, nothing to do on a boat.
Krissonia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 10:53
(occ. sorry I've taken so long to post, but my comps been mucked up. I posted in the occ. james may/will come along later. also, sorry its such poor quality. I'm tired.)

Amy lay in her cabin, tired and lonley. She was the only girl apart from Lilly onboard the Orion, and thanks to her parent's instructions captain, It was obvious.
The boys had already been quick to notice that she had her own cabin, and that whenever there was any heavy work, she had to sit in the shade quietly with a book.
They teased her and begrudged her, bitter at her special treatmeant.
If only they knew, she thought, savagly punching the pillow. I didnt choose to come here, I didnt ask to be let off anything. I'm didnt do anything to get this! Her punching increased at the thought of her parents.
"You'll be fine" she mimicked angrily. "It'll be fun, It'll be great. You'll love it."
A final stab at the pillow sent a shower of feathers into the air. Amy sighed, her anger evaporated as she got down on her hands and knees to try and pick up all the feathers. She would hate to hear what the boys had to say if skipper found out she needed a new pillow. Instead, she took the remains, and crept up onto deck. It was late evening, and nearly dark. The ship would carry on sailing through the night, so there was no chance of the incriminating ecidence being found tomorrow morning.
On deck, it was mostly quiet. A group of boys was mucking about at the far end, but otherwise, everyone was inside. She dropped the ripped fabric and the feathers over the side, watching them catch in the wake and drift out to sea. Her eyes followed the foam hypnoticaly, watching it fan out in a V shape endlessly, untill it faded into nothing.
A voice behind her suddenly woe her from her trance.
"what are you doing up here?" it asked, with the trace of a sneer. She spun around, to see Ollie, Ginger, Ralph and Freddie surrounding her.
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 11:17
Lilly scribbled furiously on her Latin homework, eager to be done with it. Scrawling the last line, she leapt from her seat and handed it to Carl Peterson, the resident Lit professor. Peterson, a middle-aged, curly-headed man, was patient and tactful, but strict and he loved to debate. He’d been a long time friend of the Sheldons and was only too delighted to come along on what promised to be a very adventurous voyage.
Looking up from the stack of papers he was grading, he gazed at Lilly over the top of his narrow, black rimmed reading glasses.
“Is this correct?” he asked, taking the wrinkled paper.
“Yes,” said Lilly, perhaps a bit too anxiously, “yes, I’m sure of it.”
“Then you can go.”
Lilly didn’t need to be told twice and was out of the cabin before Carl could say anything else. Not that she didn’t like Latin; she loved it. But after the trying day, the worse thing she could imagine was missing out on the beautiful, quiet evening on deck.
Lilly emerged on deck and found that more than half the crew was still about; she could see their silhouettes in the purple twilight.
Good-humored jokes played out as she made for the aft deck and cheerful conversations filled her ears. Out of habit, Lilly began to sing.

Come all you bold, young thoughtless men, a warning take by me!
and never leave your happy homes to sail the raging sea!

Her chorus trailed off and hummed the tune as she strolled past some familiar faces. Freddie smirked at her, but it only encouraged her to pick up the chorus. Again her clear, pleasant alto voice sang out the
digging words.

… And never leave your happy homes to sail the raging sea!

One of the boys muttered something and Lilly only giggled and kept walking. She found a good spot and leaned against the rail, sometimes gazing at the sea, sometimes watching the boy’s rowdy antics. They were up to something. She edged closer and saw what the matter was.
Apparently, Amy had appeared on deck while her back was turned. She grumbled something mercifully unintelligent and prepared to break it up.
"What are you doing up here?” someone leered.
Strolling close to the mob, Lilly spoke up.
“Probably trying to get away from the jerks making a racket below. Still,” she said, turning to Amy, “you ought to know by now, the fools only come on deck after dark. When they’re sure they can’t be seen breaking all the rules. All the same, I don't have any qualms about knocking their teeth in.”

Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 05:44
Rand looked over when he heard some of the younger boys goofing off. He quietly moved over to where they were so he could jump in the conversation. It appeared that they were picking on Amy. "What is it with all the people on this boat?!" He said to himself. He watched from the shadows as Lilly came over.

Strolling close to the mob, Lilly spoke up.
“Probably trying to get away from the jerks making a racket below. Still,” she said, turning to Amy, “you ought to know by now, the fools only come on deck after dark. When they’re sure they can’t be seen breaking all the rules. All the same, I don't have any qualms about knocking their teeth in.”

"I think I'd like to see that, Lilly." Rand said making himself known to the group, as he stepped from the shadows. He gave her a sly grin and looked over at the younger boys. "So whose teeth do you want to knock in first?" He asked with a laugh.
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 06:49
((Hey, I just thought I'd let you guys know incase no one has check out the OCC that I posted my research on Nazis there if you guys want to check it out.))
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 02:43
Ollie glanced at Freddie and Ralph, making fun at Amy. Ginger nudged him, and they both laughed. The twins didn't actually taunt Amy themselves, but, laughing at Freddie and Ralph's antics, they weren't helping.
Ginger rolled his eyes as Lilly moved up to them. She always had to be there, sorting things out, making everything perfect. Sometimes she really got on his nerves.
Ollie simply glared at her.
"So we're jerks and fools now are we? Last week we were idiots, then weirdos, then freaks, then-" Ginger elbowed him him the side and hissed at him to shut up.
"C'm on Ollie, there's no fun now." He began to drag his brother away. There never was any fun, stuck on this stupid boat in the middle of the sea, doing work, then nothing, then more work... he even wanted to go home, and that was saying something.
Ollie didn't want to go home. He hated it there. He hated it much more than here on the boat, but he didn't let Ginger know that. There'd only be an argument.. and that would spoil what fun they could get.
And the twins enjoyed sticking together. Any point on which they differed, they kept to themselves.
Ollie pushed his brother away, wanting to see what would happen next.
"Hey.." Ginger called to him. "C'mon!" Ollie shook his head, grinned, and called back,
"Wimp! Let's stay."
gabriel_legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 11:06
((sorry I haven't posted since forever, I did twice but apparently, my last one didn't show up. That frustrates me! Grr...))

Thump!

"Arrrg... Ow..." croaked Geoff as he rubbed his forehead. Was a bruise forming? Slumber aboard a ship did not come easy for him. Somehow, he had fallen off his hammock. Might as well get up, he thought. Cautiously, he stepped through the dimmness into the cool night air.

The sky was littered with stars. Each light shone brightly and created a formation, reminding Geoff of his childhood days with his grandpa. During the summer, they would stay up late gazing at the celestial wonders. He used to be able to name all the constalations though now he could barely remember how they looked like. Taking a breath of the salty air, the fifteen year old continued strolling on deck.

A group of people were laughing in the distance. Lilly and Amy were spotted in there easily but they seemed rather angry. Driven by curiousity, Geoff neared them. He was usually talkative, though tonight, Lilly was there... He was embarrassed to act like himself when someone, a girl, often looked down upon him because he was unable to do stuff. He didn't recognize many of the boys.

"Oy you, the one with the bruise on the forehead!" shouted someone; was it Ollie or Ginger? Whoever, it was, it instantly placed him on the spotlight.

"Yeah?" Geoff replied, slightly offended by the way he was being addressed.

"Yeah yourself!" someone else answered, who, he did not know, "how'd you get that?" The stranger pointed a finger at his injury.

"None o' your business," he snapped. Well, for one, he didn't want to admitt to some person he didn't know that he fell out of his bed and also, they were being rude. Then again, so was he.

Turning his head away from the girls' faces, Geoff wondered what Lilly and Amy would say.
Krissonia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 03:20
There was an awkward pause as the rest of the boys went back to staring over the side and laughing quietly to themselves, and Geoff studied the floor, not looking at Lilly or her. Lilly, strangley enough, wasnt looking at Him either, instead picking at her fingernails and watching her shoes. Something clicked in Amys brain, and a small smile began to form.
"Lilly you'd better help sort out Geoff," she said, propelling both of them slightly unwillingly to the front of the ship where the first aid supplies were. "I need to go and finish some work in the libary. If you seel Doctor Peterson, tell her that my French translation is nearly done." and she turned and went back down the steps to her berth.

[Edited on 25/6/2004 by Krissonia]
zwinger
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 09:23
Hahn woke suddenly, fitful and sweating again. He pulled back the thin grey cover of his bunk, listening. He could hear nothing but the comforting rumble of the engine far away, and the rhytmic breathing of the other men in his cabin. It was still early, he guessed, although it was always the same murky darkness underwater. He hadn't seen true sunlight for days, he reflected idly, sinking back into his bunk. It was so easy to forget the feel of it on your skin.

The cabin door was wrenched open. 'Wachen Sie Auf!' A voice barked. 'Get up! You have five minutes before inspection!' Suddenly all the men were awake, frantically pulling on uniforms and boots, and rushing out the door.

It was the same process every morning. All the men stood in line on the main deck for an hour while the officer marched up and down, his boots clanking on the metal. Hahns stood, back straight, the frail frame of his shoulders braced, pale blue eyes staring straight ahead. The minutes dragged by. He watched the droplets of condensation slowly forming on the cracks on the green walls. Suddenly the voice of the commanding officer seemed to grow faint and muffled, and he felt himself spinning down and down.

'Geistesschwach! Can the weakling not even stand for five minutes for inspection without fainting??' Hahns was woken by a boot being dug sharply in his side. The officer was standing above him, sneering. 'Ah, good morning, Herr! Is the strain to much for you?' Rough hands grabbed his uniform and he was wrenched to his feet. 'I suppose you can clean everyone's boots today, to teach you some stamina, then!' The officer gave him one final kick and moved on.

Hahn sat in the uniform chamber, polishing boot after boot. It was tiresome, backbreaking work, but he was glad to be away from deck for a while. And there was something comforting about the rows and rows of shining boots, each emblazoned with a white swastika. He sighed, thinking about his father. He would be ashamed to know his son had been demoted to cleaning duties. He so wanted Hahn to be a great fighter, a hero.

His thoughts were interrupted by a young man who came clattering down the steps in a frenzy. 'Amerikaner!' He yelled frantically, shoving on his boots. 'We have sighted an allies' convey, two miles from here! Tonight, when they are off guard, we attack!' He grinned at Hahn, his eyes alight with joy. 'Tonight, we will conquer! For Hitler!' He saluted and ran out of the room. Hahn saluted back but his heart was filled with dread. The Americans were completely innocent of the doom which was coming to them, two hundred meters below the surface.

[Edited on 20/6/2004 by zwinger]
Fair_Lady_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 11:01
Freddie loved hanging with the twins- he couldn't resist causing a little bit of trouble. Being on the boat hadn't taught him much. The wind suddenly blew in his way, and Freddie hurriedly covered his blonde hair, "Stupid wind. Stupid boat. Stupid hair!" Freddie shouted out. Right now, he would give anything to be back on dry land. "What did I do to deserve this?" He muttered silently. Ralph replied, "Where should I start?" He grinned.
Ralph looked back at the girls and shrugged, "Let's go," He said, joining Ginger. Ollie and Freddie stayed behind, Ollie watching Freddie practically blame the girls for all his troubles and taking out his fustration on them. They both laughed, then Freddie turned away. "Let's get out of here, Ollie," He said laughing.
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2004 06:36
"So we're jerks and fools now are we? Last week we were idiots, then weirdoes, then freaks, then-" Ginger elbowed him the side and hissed at him to shut up.

Lilly just stared at him for a long moment, her dark brown eyes cutting into him. Her jaw was clenched and her hands were at her side, squeezed into fists. Taking a deep breath, she readied herself for the plunge.
((Warning: soapbox moment ahead! Lol)))
“Well, Ollie, if you’re anything else, prove it! The only thing I’ve seen is instances of you being foolish, or being down right weird, or being a jerk. If you’re anything else,” here Lilly paused and looked at the other boys, “I haven’t seen any evidence of it. So please, by all means, prove me wrong! I’d be delighted to know otherwise. Maybe I’m being unfair, but this was supposed to be fun for me: my first voyage around the world; the adventure of a lifetime. But no! I’m forced to share it with a bunch boys who couldn’t behave long enough to graduate!”
Lilly fell silent and the color that had risen in her cheeks died a little, despite the shocked gazes of the boys staring at her.
When she spoke again, her voice was calmer.
“And it’s not your lack of experience that I hold against you. It isn’t your fault you weren’t raised on a boat. It’s your attitude that drives me mad.” It looked as if Lilly wanted to say more, but she didn’t.
There was an awkward pause as the rest of the boys went back to staring over the side and laughing quietly to themselves, and Geoff studied the floor, not looking at Lilly. Lilly, strangely enough, wasn’t looking at Him either, instead picking at her fingernails and watching her shoes. Something clicked in Amy’s brain, and a small smile began to form.
"Lilly you'd better help sort out Geoff," she said, propelling both of them slightly unwillingly to the front of the ship where the first aid supplies were. "I need to go and finish some work in the library. If you see Doctor Peterson, tell him that my French translation is nearly done.” And she turned and went back down the steps to her berth.

((ok, this is a little out of place, but I tried to fix it. Plus I edited a bit of Kriss’s post and corrected it in the quote (hope you aren’t mad!) There’s no Madame French teacher onboard I’m afraid, but Carl Peterson, the English/Foreign language teacher does know French ))
Krissonia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 06:05
(occ. sorry, if its moving on to fast. i know my char is seriousley twisted, but we seem to have enough reluctant germans. please note that this is all historically correct, cortesey of zwinger )

Jan sat in the control room of the U995, bringing her until she was facing the schooner and closing her into firing range. He lined up the hull of the ship in the periscope, then prepared to fire, a sick grin contorting his features.
He could hear his officer barking orders as the first batch of torpeddos were hurried down to the cylinders, being locked into place and the doors closed. He slid his hand around the trigger that would release the bow doors and allowed himself a brief moment of pleasure as he traced the imaginary path the torpeddo would take through the water and into the hull of the ship,imagining the flames that would lick around the hole made by the missile, the sound the rushing water would make drowning out the screams of the crew on board, then the inevitable whirlpool as the boat would be sucked down to the bottom of the atlantic.
"JETZT!" barked his officer, releasing Jan from his daydreams. He flicked the blue switch, feeling the ship judder ever so slightly as the toreddo shot through the quiet black seas towards the U.S.S Orion.

[Edited on 27/6/2004 by Krissonia]
zwinger
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 11:08
Hahn was still cleaning oilskins that evening when he heard it. A sickening crump that resounded throughout the boat and made his stomach turn. He dropped the rag he was holding and raced up the steps onto the main deck. Sailors were bustling like flies, shouting orders above the dying noise.

He entered the control room. There was a senior officer sitting there, staring at the screen of the periscope entranced. His face was strong and beautiful, like ivory, but it was twisted and proud with dark eyes full of malice. He turned round as Hahn approached.
'Look at it boy. Look at our victory.'

Hahn leaned over and peered at the small glass screen. He caught one beautiful glimpse of a velvet night sky, scattered with glowing stars, before the viewer was brought sharply down. He nearly wretched at the sight. It was a large, beautiful ship, quite unlike any of the lean murderous german warships he'd seen before. It stood proud against the horizon, smoke wreathing up into the sky. As he focused in he could make out figures running frantically across the deck. He felt sick and faint.

'Are they all going to die?'
'Die?' The officer's face contorted into a cruel smile. 'Not this time. By the hand of the Germans, not the sea! No, the captain has ordered that we take these allies hostage. He has...other uses for them, apparently.' He laughed coldly.

[Edited on 27/6/2004 by zwinger]
gabriel_legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 02:32
((hey everyone, I'm going to be gone for a week. Could someone keep my character in action? You know, it would be weird if he wasn't mentioned and he suddenly comes back. Thanks!))

What was happening?

One moment they were talking, the next...

Flames crawled through the U.S.S. Orion as people milled out on deck. Geoff could feel himself panic as alarmed cries were thrown out into the air. A shadow was floating in the curtains of smoke, disrupting the gray pattern. He blinked several times. It couldn't be. Must be all these tears in my eyes... Geoff wiped the moisture out of his vision though it helped little. Covering his mouth, he fled to a safer area. Where was the captain?

"Come on!" shouted Lilly, who seemed far away. He followed the voice blindly, not exactly sure what he was doing. There were too many people shouting and running in different directions. Geoff wanted to yell back. He wanted to ask what was going on and what was he supposed to do. They had trained for emergencies, but none of the boys were experienced enough to actually remain calm.

"Amy! Amy!" he shouted, spotting someone familiar. "I though Lilly was with you. What's going on?"

Amy had a shocked expression as well, probably meaning to say she wasn't sure what was happening either. "I lost track of Lilly a while ago. We should go find the captain, I think he should be over there." She pointed to her right.

"Try not to separate, it's too complicated and confusing for that," said Geoff, not realizing that he was pulling her slightly by her arm. Hopefully, she was correct.

((I hope, Krissonia, that you're not offended with me dragging Amy in, if you are, I'll change it))
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 07:57
(( Lilly's final profile is finished. Check it out!))

Everything moved in slow motion. Except the water.

Lilly had been leaning on the port rail, staring at the glass-like sea when a sudden flash caught her eye. It was a fleeting glimpse of the torpedo as it glided by beneath her. Before she had even begun to wonder, the silence was shattered.
The ship lurched violently and Lilly stumbled, shielding her ears against the unearthly shriek as the Orion's metal hull split at the seams.
Crawling across the deck on her hands and knees, Lilly saw the panic spread. She heard her uncle shouting something, but it was inaudible against hiss of the ocean water that rushed in below the waterline and met the fire of the torpedo's wake. Regaining her bearings, she leapt to her feet and half crept, half slid to the aft part of the deck noticing for the first time the deck tilted at an unsavory angle.
Smoke began the leak out across the deck, burning her eyes as she stumbled into the cockpit, nearly running into her uncle.
"What's happening?!" she shouted.
"We've hit something. Get everyone on deck and seal up the engine room."
"Aye!" she nodded and scrambled off.
Yanking open the companionway door, Lilly shouted down the corridor. No one answered and Lilly prayed the berths were empty. Then she turned and scurried down the narrow hatch that led to the engine room.
The term “engine room” was a misnomer. The Orion didn't have an engine, but what space would have been reserved for it did house the Orion's electric generator and bilge pump and stored most of her food and fresh water. The low-ceilinged, overly crowded room was well below the waterline and with no widows and seemingly no fresh air; it was enough to make anyone claustrophobic. Lilly never spent any more time down there then she had too, but was hardly prepared for what greeted her when she went below.
The torpedo had buried itself in the engine room and it was here that green Atlantic water rushed in. The engine room was a haze of black, acrid smoke and sparks as the water began to rush over exposed wires. The fire was all but doused. Lilly rushed to grab necessary supplies and then yanked open the fuse box and began methodically shutting down the ship. Her fingers trembled as she forced the switches into the “disengaged” position and then she remembered the flares. Slamming the fuse box shut, she rummaged through the stacked crates. Water began to flood the room and she was showered with sparks. She found the hinged case containing the flares, flare gun, flashlights and lanterns and let out a sigh of relief. For a moment she was tempted to rest leaning against the boxes, but the loud, threatening crack of electrical sparks brought her to her senses. She pulled the flare bow free and cradled the bulk in her arms, slowly stumbling toward the hatch. Her leisurely pace to panic as another set of rivets gave way and more water roared in. Lilly barely made it out in time to close the door before the entire room was lit with sparks. Dragging the flare crate in her wake, she struggled back above deck.
A column of black smoke blotted out the stars, making it nearly impossible to see anything in the featureless dark.
Still she could hear orders being given and judging by the familiar creak of ropes and pulleys, orders being followed. They were lowering the boats.
The Orion’s lifeboats were hardly up to standard: two antiquated wooden rowboats with rusted oarlocks. That was it. Still, that was better then the frigid ocean. The Atlantic April still held ice as a possibility.
The flares were handed off and moments later one arced high above their heads, casting an ominous and brief red glow over the ailing vessel. By its light, Lilly saw that the signal flags on the strangely tilted mainmast had been switched from NC meaning “I am in distress and require immediate assistance” to AC- “I am abandoning my vessel”.
Lilly found the Skipper on the port side, ushering frightened boys into the lifeboats.
He glanced over his shoulder and shouted at Lilly. "Where's the logbook?"
"Below."
"Go get it and then report back to the boats."
Taking a flashlight, Lilly groped her way back to the companionway and went below. In the meager beam of the flashlight, she didn't see that the chartroom was now flooded until the water hit her. When her feet left the steps, she was waist deep in it.
The water was so cold, it took her breath away.
Lilly felt her chest tighten as she waded through the water to the ship’s safe. In that brief moment, she’d begun to shake so violently she could hardly turn the dial to open it. When she finally did, it took her only seconds to grab the familiar suede-bound ledger and struggle back up stairs.
The next hours were a blur.
The boats were unhitched near midnight and they rowed slowly away from the ship. Some time later, the life boats were lashed together stem to stern so they wouldn't drift apart in the dark and the exhausted teens stopped rowing. Some fell swiftly to sleep but others found none. Lilly sat at the bow of the lead rowboat, staring blankly into the distance. Her form was so still and silent, she scarcely seemed alive. Silences greeted whispered questions and even after the whispers were still, Lilly remained motionless, her eyes locked on the black horizon.

[Edited on 6/30/2004 by Vanimacar]
Krissonia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 01:55
occ. lilly has a strad? please dont say it was on the orion or we may have to salvage it from the wreckage, only to find that the case magicaly floats and is watertight )

Jan carefully manouvered the U boat another meter towards the surface, going slowly and pausing all the time to check that non of the Amerikans had noticed the disturbance.
The Captain had ordered that they be taken unharmed, so an element of suprise was needed. Jan was itching just to blow them up and leave them, but he knew the price would be if he disobeyed. He was intrigued as to what could be so special about these foregners that made it so important that they be taken alive. It's good thing, thought Jan to himself, that the ship was only half staffed, or there would of been hardly any room, and not much food. On the other hand, maybe a lack of food would keep them quieter, and less likely to escape. He smirked.
The moon was setting by the time that the U boat finally surfaced, less than 50 meters from the lifeboats. Several soliders crept up onto deck, lowering their rifles, prepared to shoot, but only as a fear tactic.
As the cold dawn rose, they watched patiently for the first signs of stirring from the Amerikans, and the only english speaker amoung them lifted his megaphone.
zwinger
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 11:14
'Enemy Allies!' The broken english resounded clear over the icy water. 'You come aboard the ship, now. The Captain commands it. We are taking you to Umlaufhafen, our transhipment port.' He surveyed the sorry group with a blank stare. 'Any resistence will not be tolerated.' He motioned at the ranks of soldiers wielding rifles behind him.
'We will lower rope ladders, and you will climb up one at a time. We will then take you below. There will be no struggle.'

Hahn stood, rifle cocked, as he watched the sorry group huddled down below. They were weary, numbed by the immense shock and grief. He could see their pale faces looking up at him, eyes full of fear and confusion. They were so young, barely older than him. What could the Third Reich want with these people?

The Officer barked an order, and the ropes were unfurled and let down to the lifeboats. There was silence as the crew of the Orion stared up at the grey shadow above them. There seemed to be no choice.

[Edited on 30/6/2004 by zwinger]
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 07:48
Ollie glared at Lilly when she made her remarks, and strode away with Freddie. The two leaned over the side, and said nothing, keeping their own frustrated thoughts to themselves.
Ginger had gone below with Ralph, and Ralph had just begun a game of poker, when...
Suddenly, a deafening crash jolted them sharply into their senses.
Ollie clung to the rail, as he and Freddie were almost pitched into the sea.
Ginger and Ralph tumbled to the floor, and sat, staring bewilderdly ((sp?)) at each other.
"What the --" Ginger scrambled out on deck, and glanced around, picking out Ollie, who ran over to him.
Everyone had gathered on deck.
"We've been hit.."
"By what?"
"Don't ask me! I dunno!"
The boys stared, with frightened faces, out to sea.

They were captured by the Germans, who were at war with most of Europe, and with America.

(( I'm bringing in my German (well, Austrian-German) into the story now ))

Bruno Mensch held his rifle tightly, as he stared into the eyes of the prisioners.
He did not understand his orders.. why capture a handful of kids? What use could they possibly be to the war?
Bruno hated the war. Naturally quiet, and careful, the fighting was not at all suited to his personality. He wished he had been allowed to stay at home with his family.
He glanced at Hahn, standing next to him, and hoped that he was not the only one to be feeling resentment at carrying out the orders.

[Edited on 1/7/2004 by anduril269]
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2004 04:11
((Wow, I'm gone for a few days and we all get captured! *laughs* I am having a slight problem too. Rand has been trying to interact with the other characters, but he is always over looked. Is there any way that you guys can include him? ))

As the small crew sat in the life rafts, Rand let the recent events role over in his mind. Before he realized what was happening the party was captured by some German soldiers. He looked over at Lilly and Amy. Their eyes were filled with fear, he moved closer to them as if to protect them. (Rand might have had some issues, but he isn't a complete jerk.) "I guess I finally got what I wanted." Rand thought to himself, "A whole mess of Germans! The only problem is, there is nothing I can do!"

After they boarded the German ship the Captain began to question Lilly's Uncle. He saw the fear in Lilly's eyes as the German Soldiers pushed him around. The twins were standing close together. Everyone was in a state of shock. The sun began to rise bringing a small glimmer of hope to the 17 year old. "Everything will turn out alright in the end." He whispered to Lilly, "I don't know how, but it will."

((I hope that was alright. I still haven't had any time to work on my German character, I was out of town the past few days and I didn't have computer access so I didn't get a chance take care of him.))
Krissonia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 10:17
(occ. This is a really good idea for a thread, and if they ever get a new site up for nt threads, can we see if we can carry it on? its got loads of potential, it was just started at an awkward time, just before the holidays.)
Eärendils_Beloved
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 06:57
((hi, Kriss! and everybody else. I feel rather bad about neglecting this thread, but as Kriss said, it didn't start at a conviniant time frame. I am more than willing to continue it at the new site, and we can set up an OOC thread and discusss plans, 'cause it really does have potential. Hope you guys are still interested! ))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email