Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ladygaladrielrox
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Rpg-ing in 1st Person Discussion
on: May 31, 2005 08:14
Ok so I guess we'll do Rohan then. It seems everyone is playing 2 characters except me...
Maybe I'll do Erion and Iradon...
Avis_Cantrix
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 11:37
Have we started? I'll use Atuan if we have
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 06:59
I don't think we have... am I supposed to be starting the thread? What should I call it???
ladygaladrielrox
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 11:05
I don't know. Call it the Mystery for all I care. And I guess you are starting it.
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 06:26
How about "The search for truth"?
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 07:05
What about... "Mystery: The Search for Truth"

aah.. sounds cheesy.. *shrugs* whatever. I'll call it something like that. Um.. it'll be up in a few days.. I might put it up over the weekend.
Baranor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2005 03:22
Okay, well, I'm still here.....Guess I'll have to come up with a character (not a hardship ).
ladygaladrielrox
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 11:14
Ok, so this is TR right? Have you got it up yet?
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 01:45
It's TR, because I can't stand TT rpgs.. too confusing.. but we've got to be careful that it doesn't end up being NT, so no mind messages, random things.. etc. Pretend it's TT, but it's not.
It's not up yet, but I'm hoping to get it up either today or tomorrow - watch this space!

I'll introduce one of my chars.. at least one.. and he/she will be friends with the char that is going to be wrongly accused of.. was it murder? Then you guys can hop in wherever you want. I think Avis_Cantrix is going to play the char who is blamed for the 'thing' .. which I think is going to be Murder.

Wait, a question before we start - are you sure we want it in Rohan? Because the other thread is called Murder in Rohan.. they might accuse us of copying them... :feedback: I'll wait to hear your thoughts before posting the thread.
ladygaladrielrox
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 05:43
Oh! I didn't think about that... Hmmm... maybe we should do Gondor...then they couldn't possibly accuse us! hehe I don't know how my character will come in... I'll think about it...
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 06:25
I'm happy with Gondor.... and I've come up with a character! Is it o.k if I roleplay a guy called Rima (I'm actually going to roleplay a man, I've never really done that before!!! ), who's the kind of "Police" guy... of the city guard or something! And I'll roleplay a girl called Mella who originally suspects the not-murderer guy...
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 07:08
Ok, let's do Gondor.. hmmm.. so It'll probably be set in Minas Tirith in that case. I'll write the post today by hand, and post it tomorrow - is that ok? I'll write about the murder, and a bit about the police suspecting someone (won't say specifically who, because I don't know their name) and my character will come in... Hm.. what is the name of the suspected guy?

EDIT: I've posted it! It's called 'Mystery: Search For The Truth'... and I'm guessing that the suspected guy is Atuan? If not, I'll edit it. Please hop in! And.. there's an OOC thread too that we can use for discussion from now on. :disco:

[Edited on 12/6/2005 by anduril269]
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2006 02:33
Usually rps are in first person, so I don´t understand why most people here write in 3rd person, so I feal stupid if I´m the only one in a thread writing in 1st, if that makes any sense... I mean it sounds weird: XYZ goes over to ABC,blablabla, and your response is: I do whatever. I think it´s a little confusing for people who only rp here, not in "real life", or who can´t identify with their char, but maybe I´m wrong...anyways, I like 1st-person-rps!
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 30, 2006 11:26
Is this actually up? Looks like I am too late to join in... *checks dates* wow...definitely too late! I just wanted to let you guys know that I think it is a wonderful idea to rpg in the 1st person and I hope that more people will give it a go in the future. And tinquendi, I was a bit confused at first with the whole 3rd person thing but I have got used to it... I tend to identify with certain aspects of my characters' personalities... but I am not completely like any of them!

So do you think anyone else will be interested in doing anymore 1st person rpgs? Please let me know.

Namarie,
~Arwen
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 08:59
Well, I'm still here. The original thread died, but I'd be interesting in starting a new one

I didn't know RPGs were common in 1st person - I was first introduced to rpging in this forum - which seems to opt for the 3rd person way of writing.

However, in a different Forum I'm in a 1st person Sci-Fi thread, and it's great

So,... are you two up for an rpg?
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 08:50
Yep I most certainly am! You have my sword...

Question: So we basically pick one of our existing characters in the DB but write as if we *are* them? Just clarifying. Either way I'd really like to do this- it might be a challenge for me, but that's cool because I love RPGing anyway.

So I guess if we are going to do this we had better come up with some type of plot. And the setting and characters.

Namarie,
~Arwen
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 10:47
Yeah - either pick an existing char, or make up a new one. I might revive some of my old ones from the DB, or my notes. I'm kinda rusty on rpging over here on CoE... and it would be nice to get under the skin of a few veteran chars.

So... about the plot... Obviously it's got to be set in M.E., as they got rid of the NT forum a while back... um.

I personally don't have any plot ideas, but I'll post here again if any come to me. So, anyone who's interested - please post any ideas here, no matter if you think they're not very good, or whatever.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 02, 2006 08:14
Well I was going to use my character Aregwyn, who is Aragorn and Arwen's daughter but would she fit with your character with the time, place etc. I think it would be nice to do a rpg in Gondor, maybe Minas Tirith?

The whole thing with orcs attacking is so cliche... so maybe we should not do that. We need something original... but what genre of rpg were you thinking? Let me know! Oh and check out Aregwyn in the DB and see what you think!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 03:08
Writing RP in 1st person is a good thing that can bring readers a deeper involvement in the story IF it is done as only a part of the overall story. I've found that a complete 1st person RP is very rough to read in a computer message board format. A mix of 1st Person and 3rd person writing can work quite well though. The one time I was a part of a successful 1st person (partially) RP was when each writer had one primary character that they wrote in 1st person, giving the story scene their personal thoughts. Other characters written by the writer would be in 3rd person, and there would also be 3rd person narration. I've also tried an RP where the narration was 3rd and all the characters was written in 1st, and though it worked, it would get awkward at times. A lot depends on how the posts are written to appear on-screen as well. Bold titling before writing of locations when events are happening and characters are in different physical locations helps a lot, as does full line spacing (hitting the return key twice) between narration and dialogue (3rd person or 1st person).

One good way to include some 1st person into RP is to write the thoughts of characters in 1st person while the rest is written in 3rd person. Example of some of this...

(3rd person narrative) Eorl had been riding for two days and a night, and as the sun set the second day, the gates of Bree were in sight! His horse was tired, for he only gave her rest at need, and so before approaching, he stopped and dismounted, letting her forage the lush grasses by the side of the road and lap at the water of the fens.

Meanwhile, Eorl stood and walked about slowly, stretching his cramped legs. He looked back down the road from where he had ridden, and was troubled by his thoughts...

(1st person thought) Did I do the right thing riding to this place? The troubles of Rohan were of no concern of the great Dunedain of the north, but for the trail of the King's youngest daughter. Yes, she had come here, and she likely went searching for them. And I was sent to find her, and to bring her back...

(3rd person narrative) Eorl nodded to himself as he looked at the road for sign. and called his horse to him.

(spoken dialogue) " Swiftwind, we need to go"

(3rd person narrative) She took one last mouthfull of grass and reluctantly turned toward him. Reaching for her, he said,

(spoken dialogue) "There will be rest enough soon,f or we will be at the gate before this night settles."

(3rd person narrative) Swiftwind came to him, ready to bear him once more. Eorl mounted and they were again making way toward the south gate of Bree. There he hoped to find an inn and a stable, and they both would rest.

Etc. etc. I put the 1st person thought in italics and without quotations to show it is only in his mind and not spoken. Spoken dialogue can be presented in italics or not as its a personal choice. I usually use italics because it makes the dialogue easily distinguishable from the narrative. What I think is more important is having the line space separating paragraphs and dialogue from narrative.

Anyway, I'm digressing. Overall I think 1st person RP is a good thing and worthy of experimenting with.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 06:41
Thanks for your thoughts on this subject!

I feel that a 1st person RPG can be beneficial because so much of our time otherwise is spent in repetition of language and techniques. I like to write in 1st person because I find I can (or try to) bring across something of my character simply in the way I write. I like putting little interjections in. Of course, this can still be done through Free Indirect Discourse, but it is a nice touch of the 1st person narrative.

As you point out, having multiple characters doing this is difficult, but I think it is manageable. I don't particularly favour the tandem of 1st and 3rd in the example you supplied, though I'm sure it can work. To me it seems just a step away from the *....* action RPGing, e.g.:

-------
Hi, how are you!

*steps over to Fred*

I haven't seen you in ages...
-------

Personally I find the above a dreadful way of writing, but that's just my opinion. I must say I tend towards the more.. 'literary' in style. (But please let's not get into the philosophical discussion of 'what is literature' here! Pretend I didn't say it)

Getting back to the point. I think 1st person narrative works. Obviously if two of your characters meet, you'd have to choose one from whose perspective to tell the incident.

I had a successful Sci-Fi thread on another board written entirely in 1st person, with the members involved having numerous characters, and it worked very well, and was both exciting and humourous.

This thread has been quiet for some while. It'd be interesting to turn it into a discussion like this. The actual thread we attempted petered out somewhat... a long time ago, and I now rarely frequent this website. But this discussion is interesting.

[Edited on 22/11/2007 by anduril269]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 05:34
anduril269 said:
I don't particularly favour the tandem of 1st and 3rd in the example you supplied, though I'm sure it can work. To me it seems just a step away from the *....* action RPGing, e.g.:

-------
Hi, how are you!

*steps over to Fred*

I haven't seen you in ages...
-------

Personally I find the above a dreadful way of writing, but that's just my opinion. I must say I tend towards the more.. 'literary' in style. (But please let's not get into the philosophical discussion of 'what is literature' here! Pretend I didn't say it)

Anduril269, I totally agree with you that your 'asteriking' example is totally dreadful in any story writing and in writing either 1st or 3rd person RP(no'G'). What you give example of is what I call 'RPGing, for only 'gamers' and not 'story writers' would write in such a way. Admittedly what I wrote on the fly was not all that good, but it does not even come close to that sort of 21st century 'RPGaming abomination. So I will assume here that you were confused by my putting the '(3rd person narrative)', '(1st person thought)', '(spoken dialogue)', stuff in front of the different parts? It was only there to show the different parts of the example and would, not to be written out in an actual role play. So, without it, my example would appear I would write it in an RP, like this:

- - - -

Eorl had been riding for two days and a night, and as the sun set the second day, the gates of Bree were in sight! His horse was tired, for he only gave her rest at need, and so before approaching, he stopped and dismounted, letting her forage the lush grasses by the side of the road and lap at the water of the fens.

Meanwhile, Eorl stood and walked about slowly, stretching his cramped legs. He looked back down the road from where he had ridden, and was troubled by his thoughts...

Did I do the right thing riding to this place? The troubles of Rohan were of no concern of the great Dunedain of the north, but for the trail of the King's youngest daughter. Yes, she had come here, and she likely went searching for them. And I was sent to find her, and to bring her back...

Eorl nodded to himself as he looked at the road for sign, and called his horse to him.

" Swiftwind, we need to go"

She took one last mouthfull of grass and reluctantly turned toward him. Reaching for her, he said,

"There will be rest enough soon, for we will be at the gate before this night settles."

Swiftwind came to him, ready to bear him once more. Eorl mounted and they were again making way toward the south gate of Bree. There he hoped to find an inn and a stable, and they both would rest.

- - - -

Hopefully I've made myself clearer here.

Since I have the time now, I'll post the same bit in complete 1st person:

- - - -

I had been riding for two days and a night, and as the sun set the second day, the gates of Bree were in sight! My horse was tired, for I only gave her rest at need, and so before approaching, I stopped and dismounted, letting her forage the lush grasses by the side of the road and lap at the water of the fens.

Meanwhile, I stood and walked about slowly, stretching my cramped legs. I looked back down the road from where I had ridden, and was troubled by my thoughts...

Did I do the right thing riding to this place? The troubles of Rohan were of no concern of the great Dunedain of the north, but for the trail of the King's youngest daughter. Yes, she had come here, and she likely went searching for them. And I was sent to find her, and to bring her back...

I nodded to myself as I looked at the road for sign, and called my horse to me.

She took one last mouthfull of grass and reluctantly turned toward me. Reaching for her, I said,

"There will be rest enough soon, for we will be at the gate before this night settles."

Swiftwind came to me, ready to bear me once more. I mounted and we were again making way toward the south gate of Bree. There I hoped to find an inn and a stable, and we both would rest.

- - - -

Yes, it works ok, and personally I think one can have more fun with the character when written in 1st person.

Now for complete 3rd person:

- - - -

Eorl had been riding for two days and a night, and as the sun set the second day, the gates of Bree were in sight! His horse was tired, for he only gave her rest at need, and so before approaching, he stopped and dismounted, letting her forage the lush grasses by the side of the road and lap at the water of the fens.

Did he do the right thing riding to this place? The troubles of Rohan were of no concern of the great Dunedain of the north, but for the trail of the King's youngest daughter. Yes, she had come here, and she likely went searching for them. And he was sent to find her, and to bring her back...

Eorl nodded to himself as he looked at the road for sign. and called his horse to him.

She took one last mouthfull of grass and reluctantly turned toward him. Reaching for her, he said,

Swiftwind came to him, ready to bear him once more. Eorl mounted and they were again making way toward the south gate of Bree. There he hoped to find an inn and a stable, and they both would rest.

- - - -

That works too, though te feeling of the one bit being only thought isn't conveyed as well when delivered in 3rd person.

I think whether if its in 1st person, or 3rd person, the structure of a post and how it appears on a typical computer monitor is more important. Making it readable helps other writers read it, and at least for me, saves the eyes. I don't know how many times I've tried to read posts written something like this:

- - - -

Eorl nodded to himself as he looked at the road for sign. and called his horse to him.

- - - -

Even when italicized, its a lot harder to read.

Thanks for allowing me to make my points about writing here.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 23, 2007 07:46
Not at all! It's nice to see what you think.

I didn't mistake your labelling - I assumed they would not actually be there in a post.
I know the example is quite a distance from the whole asterisk thing - but I was drawing a comparison between the constant switching between 1st and 3rd person, and the 'actions' and 'speech' of that style of game.
I didn't intent to debase your example by the comparison!

Having further thought on the subject, the example you show of a combination of 1st and 3rd is remarkably similar to how I write anyway in 3rd person. Sometimes I add little interjections of thoughts of the character, usually just in speech-marks though.

Personally I do not find the post difficult to read without paragraph spacing, but I agree that extra spacing does make it clearer, and is probably preferable.

Your example of a completely 3rd person narrative is one which contains more freedom of character than often 3rd person posts contain. The italicised text comes across as Free Indirect Discourse. (of which I am a big fan)

Therefore, I seem to have concluded that all the different ways of writing can be very effective. I suppose my main point was that it is simply a shame that alot of people just don't think about the way they are going to write. A large number just pluck a character out of the air, work out a vague plot starter, and wing it, using an overload of speech. Rpging would be a more wholesome experience if there were more writers devoted to the language and style they employ.

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
*Seven years late with my reply*

A large number just pluck a character out of the air, work out a vague plot starter, and wing it, using an overload of speech.

Yes, it is a bit rough, but I have to say I've been guilty of this at times. Sometimes the character develops, and sometimes not, which case I usually write their end somehow. Thanks for the great discussion back in '07 anduril269!

[Edited on 03/08/2015 by Arveleg]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Bloody Double Posts....
on: March 08, 2015 01:56
Got to remember to be a bit more patient. If it seems to freeze up, chances are it posted. Original is in the next post...

[Edited on 03/08/2015 by Arveleg]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post 1st Person Narrative
on: March 08, 2015 01:56
I'm bringing this back up as I have been toying with the idea of adding some 1st person narrative to one of my characters in the Darkest of Days RP. It would 'phase' in after the character is mentioned in 3rd person narrative, and would 'phase' out back to 3rd person narrative before it was done. I think it may be a good way to express the thoughts and feelings of the character.

I would be interested in hearing opinions from other RP writers on this, whether yu write in Darkest of Days or other RP tales.
Asilyn
Council Member
Send Message
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Ok, thanks for your input Asilyn. Anyone else?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email