Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post The Assignments illustrated- RotK book 6
on: August 03, 2004 04:50
The final round.... as ever the same rules apply, contact me if you have any illustrations you want to see me add! enjoy.

Assignment one- The tower of Cirith Ungol

Shagrat and Gorbag

The two orcs going through the tunnel, by Alan Lee

watcher at the gate

The watcher of the gate by Koslow.

In mordor

Frodo and Sam begin thier journy into mordor.. by Nasmith. It probably doesnt belong in this assignment but i like the image and thought it was suitable for here.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: The Assignments illustrated- RotK book 6
on: August 10, 2004 06:42
Assignment two- The land of shadow

Hope returns

There peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkly for a while. the beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him- By Ted Nasmith

Orc trackers

The orcs tracking Sam and Frodo- by Kirk

Frodo in mordor

A sad little sketch of Frodo in mordor by Lydia Posta (whos luthien is rather good)

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 10:27
Assignment three- mount doom

Across the plains

A wonderful picture of the Gorgoroth plains. look you can just see frodo and sam making their way across at the bottom of the picture. Nasmith of course.

Up mount doom

This is by alan lee.

Gollum attacks

Another Nasmith. Gollum does look mildly odd but i like the expressions on the hobbits faces. This one is called "the end game on the mountain".

Cracks of doom

This is by Kirk showing the cracks of doom.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 08:28
Assignment four- Field of Cormallen

Sauron defeated

By Ted Nasmith

By Roger Garland

Im glad your with me Sam..

By John Howe.

...Here at the end of all things

An awe insipring scene and some beautiful illustrations here...

By Michael Whelan

By John Howe

By Ted Nasmith

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 01:27
assignment five- the steward and the king

eowyn and faramir

One of the many meeting scenes that Eissmann has drawn...

and this is from our invited artists gallery by the Gubina sisters..

The shadow lifted

Eowyn and faramir look on as the shadow departs... by Nasmith.

the white tree

By alan lee

crowning

This scene is not at all described well in the book.. but theres a whole bunch of illustrations for it. we dont see this artist very often.. its inger eldefeldt.

enjoy
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 04:48
Assignment six- Many partings and homeward bound

Theres not many images for this section of the books. I guess its not very glamerous

Meeting Saruman

Sorry that this pic is like the worst quality on earth. I havent got round to uploading the nice version yet. Its by Nasmith and shows the ruin of Saruman.

Gimli and Legolas leave

Well i couldnt help but show the glittering caves again... another by Nasmith

hobbits return

This is actually an emalgumation (sp?) of two images by Lydia Postma, it shows Merry and Pippin.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 05:06
Assignment seven- Scouring of the shire

Returning...

A lovely one by Alan Lee showing the Hobbits as they enter the shire...

ambush

Hobbits and men battle... Nasmith

The downfall of Saruman

This one is by Inger Edelfeldt.

and this is an interesting take on things by Joan Wyatt.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 05:20
Assignment Eight- The grey havens

The most wonderfully illustrated section of the whole books. Im only posting the smallest selection here, its really worth checking out the illustrations gallery for more...

End of age

The elves setting off for the grey havens....And when they had passed from the shire, going about the south skirts of the white downs, they came to the far downs, and to the Towers, and looked on the distant sea.
By Ted nasmith

Preparing to leave

This is the first Nasmith i ever saw and the one that inspired me to ask Rivka to set up the Nasmith gallery. I adore it...

departing

This is by Darryl Sweet and by far his best work.

Valinor

By John Howe... And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water.

[Edited on 11/9/2004 by k]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 05:32
The end....

At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were signing again as they went. But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
He drew a deep breadth. "Well, Im back," He said.

By Nasmith

Well guys, this is it. I know i have posted them a bit in advance but im not going to be around much any more. I really hope you have all enjoyed the assignments illustrated.

Dont forget that we have a whole illustrations gallery on CoE with many many more images in it. These are a selection of my favourites, you will find others that you enjoy.

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions for any future assignments illustrated threads. (though i will not be doing them, someone else may choose to do so...)

Enjoy the Silmarillion.

edited by Figwit to say: Thank you very much k, for all your work here in the Book Club and you contributions to some very interesting discussions (Boromir & Aragorn ), and for making me (and many others) discover the wonderful world of Illustrations. We'll miss you.

[Edited on 12/9/2004 by Figwit]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email