Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
Post Elrond and 'Vilya'
on: August 15, 2004 02:46
Can anyone help me. I am trying to find out which finger Elrond wears 'Vilya' on.

I have searched the 3 films and all the pics I can find without any luck.

I have been told that it can be seen, but obviously either I am missing it or it does not feature in my versions of the DVD's.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Snafu36
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Elrond and 'Vilya'
on: August 16, 2004 11:04
Try this image:

snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 11:37
Excellent picture. Many thanks for your reply.
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 04:12
Not a problem. Glad to help.

It is that picture that is the reason I wear the Badali Vilya on my right hand, middle finger.
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 09:57
I have just commisioned Jens Hansen who made the One Ring and Vilya for the films to make me the first replica (or 'Vilya reborn' as they are calling it) in 18k gold, and with a natural blue sapphire.

It is going to be an unpleasant surprise for my bank manager but I just had to have that ring and the Noble Collection version is not as 'exact' as they claim (nor are their other copies) and is very over-priced, at least here in the UK (445 GBP).

Jens Hansen already produce handmade copies of the One Ring that have about twice as much gold as other copies and really look like the film ring...well it should since they made the original.

I guess they will see how much enthusiam there is for 'Vilya reborn' before setting-up to make more copies.
Rana_Elemmire
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 09:02
All Elven rings are worn on the midle finger of their right hand.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 11:56
Snafu -- How did your ring turn out? Post a pic.

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 01:47
Hi, the ring turned out superbly. I will post a picture over the next couple of days if someone can tell me how to do it.

It is a slimmer ring than the Noble version, but of substantial weight as it is made from solid 18K Gold, as opposed to the 'hollowed out' Noble ring.

It is set with a 2ct+ Ceylon Blue Sapphire which is stunning in the sunlight.

An acid treatment has been used to produce the black central line.

As the first replica of the film ring I have to say it is a source of constant pleasure. As a handmade ring by the original designer (Thorkild Hansen) there is something about the design of the ring that feels organic, and looks perfect, something that I felt missing from the Noble ring.

But then my ring cost somewhere over £1100 including import taxes and VAT, so the fact that the Noble ring is anything like the original is remarkable.

A version with 9ct Gold and a lab' grown sapphire would be A LOT cheaper, but I felt the first replica had to be 'Right'.

I have also had them make a white gold version set with a 2ct Citrine. Where the black line is on the original I had it plated with yellow gold, but this didn't work so instead I had it filled with grains of yellow gold which gives a deeper gold colour and great sparkles.

I would point out to any person thinking of getting one of the Noble versions of the ring - Go for the Gold-plated Silver version, that is the one they use on their website, even to advertise the Gold/Sapphire version (Trading standards violation methinks). The gold-plated version is built more like the original, and the blue crystal is a good compromise. The Gold version has far less metal underneath and the Sapphire is a dissapointing black stone with no life at all. Although I did have mine reset with a lab' grown sapphire (just a few pounds)

Anyway, any help on posting a pic' appreciated.

[Edited on 1/1/2005 by snafu36]
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 10:11
Snafu -- It sounds gorgeous. Wow!

I don't have any of the rings, although my son would like Barahir. Our collection of LOTR items has gone in other directions, so jewelry for Mom is not at the top of the list (or in the budget frankly). Can you recommend a Barahir replica?

Sorry I can't help you with the pic thing. I have all this equipment sitting here and I still can't figure out how to post pics of the 3D puzzles I built -- another member requested I do so. I suppose starting with the directions would be good, but I HATE reading directions or instructions! I groan every time I go into IKEA!

Happy New Year! And I'm so glad your ring turned out just the way you envisioned!

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 02:12
Yes, I am really happy with the rings I have got although it has taken; four versions of the One Ring and two versions of Vilya to get to this happy state And I try not to think about how much has been spent.

I would have to admit that getting the 'right' rings became a little bit of an obsession.

I ordered several versions of Barahir and to be honest they all went back. In my opinion the Noble Collection version is about the best finished and about 80%+ accurate. I haven't yet found out which studio designed the original..

There are a lot of copies of Barahir about, advertised with a picture of the Noble ring, but what you get is a cheap cast from one of the Noble rings. The finish is awful. I ordered one of these and just had to laugh..it went straight back.

It seems to come down to if it's cheap...it will be, and if it doesn't say it's official merchandise then it probably won't be.

So what does your collection comprise of and what got you started?

I was tempted by a couple of the swords, but I am awaiting the LOTR Museum Collection Carbon-Steel versions. But they are going to be very expensive so whether I will buy or not I don't know.

I would love an Arwen Evenstar, but only if it was made by Jasmine Watson. Unfortunatily she has said that she will not make any replicas

Happy New Year to you to.

Actually if you have a look at the Jens Hansen site (https://www.jenshansen.com) and find 'Vilya', well that is my ring. They photographed it after making it for their own promotional use, and it's a better photo than I could take

[Edited on 2/1/2005 by snafu36]
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 11:07
Hi Snafu,

I took a look at the Hansen website -- your ring is beautiful! Are you independently wealthy? LOL

Re Barahir -- I agree with you about the cheap copies. I've looked on Ebay, etc. and they all look "wrong". Since my son just turned eleven, this may have to wait until he's older (if he's still interested). I could get him a cheap one now, knowing it won't fit for long. But my instincts are to wait until he's older to see if he really wants a fine jewelry piece.

As far as what my son and I collect....well....it started out innocently enough with the action figures. He now has a huge collection!

Our collection is very eclectic. We have three UC swords so far. They are fantastic! I also love the items from WETA and wish I could collect more statues and busts. We only have a few at this point in addition to the items that came with the extended edition dvds.

My son has framed hand-autographed pictures of all the major characters/actors in the film as well as Peter Jackson; we have signed copies of Sean Astin's book (met him at his San Francisco book signing); banners/flags from various cultures/characters in Middle Earth; NECA pewter statues of Aragorn and Leggy; the Phial of Galadriel; 50th Anniversay edition of LOTR with letter from Peter Jackson; and various games, puzzles, ornaments, etc.

Wow, that sounds like quite a bit, but we've been collecting since the first movie came out and I am delighted by my son's choices and interests. He saves his allowance, birthday and christmas money for the more expensive items such as the swords.

I also have the Brothers Hildebrandt calendars from the late '70's-'80's that I started buying while at University when I read the book for the first time. Geez, that dates me! LOL

LOTR has turned me into somewhat of a collecting fiend! I can't really explain it. But by and large I try to encourage my son to collect quality official items that will maintain their value while at the same time bring him joy now.

Ultimately I really want him to have fun with it. For Halloween, he gets to chose our costumes. This past year, he was an Uruk and I was an elf (a huge improvement over my SpongeBob costume from the previous year).

Alas, no jewelry......yet.

What else do you collect?

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 01:04
Oh, If you are old I bet you cannot beat my 41 years. Although I should say that most of my friends say I don't look a day over 124 (Which is not a lot for a hobbit). Okay, that was a joke...no, it was!!!

I reckon your method of collecting sounds good - collect quality that you can enjoy now.

With Vilya I have a ring I love to wear. I also have all the emails pushing Jens Hansen to produce a replica for me (and their tetchy replies) and a letter stating that mine is the first copy, but by the time they wrench the ring from my cold dead finger it will probably be a shadow of its former self.

Kept in its box for thirty years and with the documentation it would probably raise a good price at a film/LOTR auction, but since I will be dead...who cares.

For now I just love the design of the ring and the sparkle of sapphire.

If you love what you buy it probably won't earn you a penny (Have you taken it out of the wrapper...OH!!!), but think of the years you get to enjoy it.

And anyway, how much is the smile on your son's face worth

BTW sent you a PM

[Edited on 2/1/2005 by snafu36]
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 04:04
Actually, I'm extremely young --- for an elf!

Your ring collection sounds wonderful. Makes me quite envious. Ya know, you could always send your "rejects" this way. LOL

I hadn't heard about the other swords you mentioned. Just don't tell my son, or I'll have to sell the house, the old car, the dog....! SS will have to do for us.

Sent you a PM.

presage

snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 11:22
If I have got this right the link below will take you to a photo album where I have put:-

- A picture of my Vilya from the original Goldsmith Thorkild Hansen.
- A picture of the Italian Licensed version of the ring.
- A picture that the Noble Collection use to advertise their ring.
- What you get from Noble (This is the Gold plated version). I bought the gold version from Noble which looked about the same except the sapphire was black.

I am starting to think that the Noble Collection is using a picture of the original ring (The very first) to advertise their copy as it looks far more like my ring than it does their own copy. Though I have to say the sapphire looks fake.

What annoys me is that people buy in good faith and should expect something that at least captures the real essence of the original even if it is only made of gold-tone alloy.

Too much of the LOTR stuff barely resemles what it claims. For a real laugh have a look at the Licensed 'One Ring' from Germany. In my opinion the only thing they got right was to make it...a ring.

About the best (Non Jens Hansen) Vilya I have seen is the plastic version from Applause.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=/8001&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,1%3af,0

[Edited on 3/1/2005 by snafu36]
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 11:02
Dear Snafu,

Your ring looks gorgeous. Can I have it?

presage

ash_nazg4321
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 01:48
gah! gah! gah! i envy you so much! i would love to get the jens hansen one ring So MUCH. but i am so absolutely broke and too young to get a job. GAH! also, did you know they made the silver chain seen in the movie?

(and presage? aragorn's ring is called the Ring of Barahir, not just Barahir, because Finrod gave it to Barahir, father of Beren. it was then passed down to the numenorean kings, and eventually Aragorn)
Sith_Haldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 08:46
Can anyone help me. I am trying to find out which finger Elrond wears 'Vilya' on.

I have searched the 3 films and all the pics I can find without any luck.

I have been told that it can be seen, but obviously either I am missing it or it does not feature in my versions of the DVD's.

You should check out the Grey Have Scene in ROTK, when Elrond outstretch his hand to welcome Bilbo. You can see him wearing the ring on his Right Hand Middle finger.

Same goes with Gandalf when he talked to the Hobbits and leaning on his staff at the Grey Haven.

Only Galadriel wore her ring on her Right Hand Pointer Finger at Lothlorien.

Heehee...and in the books, even Frodo wore his One Ring on his Middle Finger at Mount Doom, think it was his Right Hand too so maybe that makes Frodo a Left-Hander?
Haldir_March_Warden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2010 07:00
i got the ring, any sites you guys know of on how to make an affordable elrond costume?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email