Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
Post Stenciling
on: September 13, 2004 10:14
Does anyone know where or how i might be able to buy or make Elvish stenciling. I want to stencil the upper border of my bedroom walls with Elvish.

sorry if this is already a topic

[Edited on 20/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
Post RE: Stenciling
on: September 14, 2004 05:38
Do you mean stencils of elvish letters or elvish designs? For elvish letters you could download one of the tengwar fonts on the language part of the site (you might want to pop by the languge forum and find out what you intend to stencil on your wall actually means ). For elvish designs you could look around the web, obviously. To make the stencils you would just print them out on paper and stick that onto card or thin plastic sheet, then cut out the areas you want to be painted with a craft knife, or you could use a stamp instead of a stencil and make a raised pattern on foam.

If you want to use prefabricated stencils, look for stencils in celtic (although a lot of celtic designs are more Rohirric than elvish, choose the ones you like) or art nouveau styles, which the elvish style was based on. They aren't uncommon in art or DIY shops.

Kiss
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 10:12
Thanks a lot!!! I didn't know that making the stencils could be that simple!!
Lothiriel_Adaneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 08:47
Hi - I'm new here, but am an artist also interested in Tengwar stenciling.

I had the same idea of doing elvish around the walls of a room!
I'm in the middle of a move right now but would love to here how your project comes out. I've been thinking of stenciling around a door.

Also my real dream is to make stencils and then instead of paint to put "sizing" in (its what you use for gold/bronze/silver leaf to make it adhere) and then to gold or silver leaf the letters. Actually there is something called "gold foil" that isn't real gold leaf, but looks just as good, and is reasonably priced.

Let me know how your project turns out!
Lothiriel_Adaneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 08:56
Have another idea for you -

I have made "stamps" out of erasors. You can get different sizes of the erasor rubber. It makes a stamp that is more clean than a sponge (the sponge effect would be softer and more ethereal). I think either would be lovely.

You just draw the design on the erasor/rubber and then with exacto cut down the rest of the surface so your design is raised.

You actually could also use a potato the same way!

Also - one more idea - I've seen people copy a design, have it enlarged to the size they want on a wall. Then get an overhead projector (where I don't know) and project the image on the wall and trace around it, then when all the tracing is done. Go back and paint. I've seen this done with large murals, and am sure you could do this easily with a repeating pattern.

Good Luck!
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 09:50
Hey Thanks for the advice Lothiriel_Adaneth!!!

I don't know when I'll be stencilling my room. I can't do it during the week (school) and i'm pretty busy on the weekends. I'll probally have to wait for a school vacation. But I'll let you know how it looks when i'm done, although you'll probally be done before me The gold leaves would look great. They'll realy add to the Elvish effect
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 08:22
An idea has just struck me ! Paint your room a dark blue, not plain but one with depth. Then stencil or freehand paint elvish letters across the top like a border. There is a glow in the dark paint, I believe. Mix with some gold leaf, it may appear as the door to the dwarf city of (forgive my spelling) Khazad Dum.
Anyway , you know where I mean.... it would be really cool.
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 08:25
Oh, and remember ceilings don't have to be white and walls don't have to be the same color. You can begin with one color or a lighter hue of the same color and change it all the way up and make the ceiling down about a foot to a foot and ahalf the darker, richer, deeper blue. Like an evening sky !
LOTRcrazy
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 11:53
thanks for all the help. i was thinking of painting my room hues of blue or green anyway, i really like your idea about painting each wall a different hue and then paint the ceiling to look like the evening sky.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:00
Hi, does anyone know where I can get a stencil of the One Ring inscription? I'm decorating my room and am determined to have said inscription stencilled on the wall. Little help here? :feedback:
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:01
You could always try making a stencil yourself, frodo.

Thick card, a craft knife and some patience should do the trick. Other than that, I'm not sure.

drspin98
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 12:02
I don't know if a stencil is the best way to go-buying one would certainly limit your input into the size of the thing.

I think the best approach would be an opaque projector. You should be able to rent one from a "Rental World" or what ever is your local equivalent. Then you Google the inscription and print the clearest one you can find. Project it on the wall and trace away. You can make it the exact size you want/need just by moving the thing closer/further away from the wall.

Good luck!!
Man forget renting!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Episcopio-ENLARGING-ART-CRAFT-OPAQUE-PROJECTOR-no-res_W0QQitemZ160235965191QQihZ006QQcategoryZ75564QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These things come in handy for us you artsy/craftsy types

[Edited on 1/5/2008 by drspin98]
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2011 08:28
Um, I think there's a glitch somewhere. I don't think I wrote the post up there about a stencil of the One Ring inscription, or if I did, it must have been a year or so ago, and for some reason the date has changed. Was it moved from another thread or something?
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: July 02, 2011 11:08
Hi LobsL, I have no idea why the post shows as having been written by yourself. I admit it seemed way off to me considering Rose's answer to 'your' question was addressed to someone named 'frodo' (probably modified in some way). I thought perhaps you had a username change in 2008 or whatever year the post is from. It's definitely from several years back.

Yes, I have been moving posts from two parallel threads on stenciling, hence the dates- all moved posts show the date on which they were moved.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email