Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Conclusion: Which Book did you like best?
on: September 18, 2004 11:02
At the end of the Trilogy, I'd like to know which book everyone prefers, and why.
Book 1: A Long Expected Party - Flight To the Ford
27% (1)
Book 2: Many Meetings - The Breaking of the Fellowship
16% (8)
Book 3: The Departure of Boromir - The Palantir
14% (7)
Book 4: The Taming of Sméagol - The Choices of Master Samwise
4% (2)
Book 5: Minas Tirith - The Black Gate Opens
18% (9)
Book 6: The Tower of Cirith Ungol - The Grey Havens
16% (8)
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Conclusion: Which Book did you like best?
on: September 19, 2004 04:39
It's impossible to choose a favourite. They are all parts of a whole. But if I have to choose the most important part, I'll pick Book 4; it concentrates on the most crucial aspect of the story, the relationships between Frodo, Sam and Gollum. In it also the main themes of Pity and Mercy come up in several occasions, although we don't fully learn the meaning of these scenes until later.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 08:19
I voted for the wrong Book :twitch:

Okay, I wanted to vote for Book 2, because... it's my favourite I adore Boromir, and I adore The Council of Elrond, and so it figures that I would pick that one.
A close second are Book 3 and Book 5...

I guess a top 6 would be:
1. Book 2
2. Book 5
3. Book 3
4. Book 6
5. Book 1
6. Book 4

Alas, I voted for Book 1... by pressing the wrong buttons...
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 03:20
It is difficult to choose. I think the one that gives me the most satisfaction is Book 4, for pretty much the reasons Morwinyoniel gives. It's the struggle for Sam to come to terms with things. How Frodo can find pity for Gollum/Smeagol. His frustrations, his self deprication and the final realisation of his worth. :love: Gotta love Sam!! Ahem, sorry.

A close second for me comes Book 3. Showing Pippin and Merry's start on their separate roads to their future roles. Finding a maturity. How discipline counts, is a lesson one could learn from this book, but how it's an ill wind that blows nobody good.

But I would have to give one big vote to the Trilogy as a whole. Each book, each chapter is a joy. :love:
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 01:24
I chose Book 3 because it represents for me "the beginning"...it's hard to explain it. I know that Gandalf left them in Book 2, but he was the Wizard, the one "supernatural" being in the group. With Boromir's death, the Fellowship representing the free peoples scatters on different paths and they don't know whether they'll see each other again. Merry and Pippin come into their own through trial and error and the real quality of Aragorn as a King of Men and the blooming of the unlikely friendship between Gimli and Legolas...so, that's my favourite book. When all the paths re-converge and the Fellowship is together again, those events seem more momentous and special, somehow.

Yes, I rambled...I've never liked to explain why I liked a book and this one is special.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 01:48
It's hard to chose. I know there are six parts to the three books, and that confuses me, so I'll just say I like the Fellowship and Return of the King best. I can't decide between the two.
RubySandybanks
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 23, 2004 08:05
I chose Book 6 but reluctantly. If I put the books in order of preference like Figwit did, my list would go like this:

1. Book 6
2. Book 5
3. Book 4
4. Book 3
5. Book 2
6. Book 1

It appears that I grew to love the story more as I turned each page. From beginning to end.
Melmë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2004 10:13
I voted for book 6. But it was very hard to accually pick a favourite. I like the scouring of the Shire and how Frodo realizes that he could not save the world for himself.
Galadriel_LadyOfLight
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2004 04:43
I chose book 1. i like it that they are living calmly, but then, they go off an adventure and...
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2004 08:31
I choose book 3. I actually just finished reading it, and I love how a big part of the Fellowship find eachother again. And new friendships and allies are made with Theoden. whom I love. :heart:
My order would have to be :
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2006 01:26
I chose book 3 because ofcourse it was the death scene of Borromir he was a noble and significant character. But also it is where all the fellowship memebers break up and follow their own quests sorta. Oh and it is when Gandalf is reborn.
Adudaewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 10:17
Wow, that is a hard question, but I have to say that Book 6 is definitly my favorite, because Scouring of the Shire is my favorite chapter. But in order it would be
Tortolanom
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2007 07:19
I think I'd have to day book two is my favorite. When Gandalf falls with the Balrog and cries " Fly you Fools" I cried. I was so mad and sad that he was gone. Everyone was still together in this book. Boromir dies, another sad moment. Frodo goes off to Mordor thinking Gandalf is gone. Very moving book.
Findecáno_Aldaríon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2007 08:36
book 1 for sure.
Adaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2007 06:12
For me it is Book 6 and no doubt about it. Tolkien created the most beautiful image of death and the ability of letting go.Each time I read those lines it is breathtaking.
HannaofElves
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 08:53
I am now just starting to read book 4 but I think out of all of them I like book 3 the best, I love the fact that it tells more about the War itself and you learn more about the characters (one of my favs shows up here Eowyn) You understand more of the big picture, I didn't like the first book as much because it was confusing and it took the whole book just to get out of the Shire! Any way I love book 3.
dunhevedbridge08
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2008 03:26
At the end of the Trilogy, I'd like to know which book everyone prefers, and why.
Book 3 just edges it in front of Book 5. Lots of development, optimistic, and fair pace. Surely this shows the Ents in a far more mystical and philosophical light than the almost comedic turn offered in the films. Book 3 also has the best female part of Eowyn (though Book 4 has the best male role of Faramir). Ents rule!
Anaredhel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2008 08:13
I'm going with Book 5, because of all the epic battles. Some parts were really touching, too.
lanelas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2010 12:12
Overall, Volume 1 (Books 1-2) is my favorite. I think a lot of that is because it has the most in it that was not included in the films, so my imagination can really go crazy with picturing things. Also, it shows you the broadest swath of peoples and places in Middle Earth, as opposed to say, Book 6, which although it's probably the most epic, a good chunk of it is taken up with the deathly crawl through Mordor.

So for the sake of variety, I've always much enjoyed 'The Fellowship of the Ring'.

BUT, the scene where Eowyn and Merry slay the Witchking is probably my favorite individual scene from the whole epic.
Nostariel_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2010 04:03
They are all part of one whole which is how I read the books from start to end so I couldn't pick one book or another
Meldë_Náriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2011 11:52
It was really hard to choose a favorite but i chose book five because it was interesting and exciting and it made me wondor if anyone else was going to die in the battle like Boromir did. but if i had to put my favorites in ordor i would go: book 5, 2, 4, 6, 1, 3.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Conclusion: Which Book did you like best?
on: March 20, 2012 09:41
I personally like book 1 most of all, I really enjoyed the way the hobbits were slowly learning about the peril that they were on the edge of, going to bree, meeting stider etc.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
TheOneRingofPower
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2012 07:39
I'd say I like the 1st book,especially the part about Bilbo's birthday.
L.L. Z
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 03:56
My order might be
ElenEnIDome
Council Member
Send Message
Post Conclusion: Which Book did you like best?
on: July 04, 2013 12:43
I liked book 2 because I think it was happy and showed the true problems.
Boromier was a little disappointing, but he was amazing when he had arrows in him and he was still fighting for the Halflings (Merry and Pippin).
Frodo knew of the effect the Ring had upon the company (mainly Boromier), and he made the right choice, even though he knew he would be alone, wandering in Mordor. Frodo slowly understands that to be a ring bearer means that his path is walked alone.
I admire Sam's resolve to go with Frodo, he has a courageous heart. He is the most noble, honest and true friend Frodo could ever have.
Legolas is a wood elf, and I like his fighting style!
Gandalf gave his life in defending the company, and is the greatest wizard ever!
Gimli is noble and brave. He befriends Legolas and a true friendship is started.
Aragorn is a true king. He is noble and selfless, he doesn't want to be as Isuldur was, selfish and greedy, he wants to make a new reputation for Isuldur's heir. He understands that Frodo must journey alone to Mordor. He hunts the Orc pack that took Pippin and Merry, knowing that he would probably fail.
Pippin is "A fool of a Took", yet he is extraordinarily brave. He makes a lot of mistakes, yet he sometimes makes more trying to fix them.
Merry is funny and heroic, yet he often makes mistakes, too!
Elen en' i' Dome
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email