Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ellwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Halloween!
on: September 28, 2004 12:56
This is where you can tell everyone what you're being for Halloween (i'm guessing a lot of us will have a LOTR theme, which is why this topic is valid). So tell us your plans, and show us pictures when you're finished!

If I can figure out WHERE (ie: outside vs inside) I will be for the big night, I will most definitely be an elf, and I'll be making a dress (probably green and or blue). I'll post sketches when they're finished. I'm also figuring out hair, as my hair is long and blonde...but not long enough!

Slina
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Halloween!
on: September 29, 2004 06:41
Ooh, well I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing, but I think some of the girls here are planning on doing something sometime after halloween, and it should include costumes. Anyway, I'm thinking about doing Rosie. I can live with the fact that I'm a little tall, and there probably won't be too much I can do with my long straight hair either, but then, I guess I can't have everything. I'm still trying to decide exactly how to make it, and it'll only be so accurate, but it'll be fun if I can pull it off.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2004 06:59
For those hobbits with long hair: You probably know how to kink your hair by braiding it wet and letting it dry like that. Try it for hobbits, with really little braids, and sometimes it kinks right... don't brush it too much though.

For me, I'm being Elf #289... lol. I have this really cool robe thing that looks very elvish (Buttericks 4050, if u wanted to know) and I also have a bow (my darling...) that I made when I was like ten (okay, with a lot of help from my dad...). I'm going to try and make a quiver that fits over the robe properly and looks Elvish (the one I have is basically canvas). I'm also wearing a full silk skirt under it, because it's really cold here by Halloween, and because it's very pretty and far more comfortable than the leggings I wore under the robe last time I wore it (to school, actually).
I also have long blonde hair... almost as light as Legolas' and almost as long, but a bit curly/wavy, and if I do it right after showering or getting it wet it won't frizz or fuzz from the braids. What I'm trying to figure out right now is how to do it. I find the "warrior braids" (as Legolas wore in the movies) really easy and simple-- too simple it feels, but they're most easily recognized as elvish. Or I could braid it more Rohirric, but that wouldn't be as easily, "Oh, are you an elf?" type thing. Anyway...
uniaeca
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 03:10
Unfortunately my family has always refused to allow me to participate in Halloween festivities

Now though, we live remote and there's no one to celebrate Halloween with really so there's going to be no Halloween costume for me.

However if I were to be celebrating Halloween I'd probably be a Hobbit. I already have 'slightly' pointed ears. Curly, short hair And all I'd really need was clothing, which I'd have to either a) make or b) buy. I wouldn't be able to do either of those since I'm absolutely terrible at any type of art and I'm broke.

Happy pre-Halloween!
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2004 06:24
hello, until today i had no idea for a halloween costume. but with the idea from one of my friends i have decided to be Captain Jack Sparrow, lol. Knowing that i could find about half the Depp fangirls in the world on here i wanted to know what kinds of things i should use for a costume that i could prolly easily find and use? Obviously since i can't grow a beard in less than a month (just shaved the other day so all hope is lost) im gonna have to buy a fake beard, and ugh, use eyeliner and other random make-up stuff, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
SilentDarkness
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2004 02:56
Perhaps a Wraith but it will take awhile to get the costume ready.
StormyBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 03:50
I was Jack Sparrow last year Only I am a girl, so I used eyeliner for a mustache and made yarn braids for the goatee. For the rest of the costume I had black pants and boots, a white button-up shirt, black sash, fake sword, and a red bandanna with yarn beaded braids for a wig. It was actually a pretty good costume
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 08:47
Nothing on Halloween. I'll be going to the Carolina Renaissance Faire with a friend or two on the 30th. I have a dress that my grandmother made for me, that I am dead-set on wearing. The past two years were too hot. So, I pray to the Lord and Lady that I won't melt onto my dress. Here is a link to a photo of it, please note the photo was from 1999 or 2000. I will be wearing the hairnet again this year, as my hair is barely longer than shoulder length. Shorter than Eomer's, but longer than Theoden's. I may go as an elf, depending on how convincing I can make bandaids. I'm allergic to latex. Nonlatex bandaids are my only option.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/photoalbum/displayimage.php?album=136&pos=2
WintrerFairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 07:06
I'm going as a elf to the Texas Renaissance then I'm gonna go in the same costume for trick or treating. It took me forever to design.Its a sea green dress with,I believe their called princess seams,a scoop neckline and Arwens Rose dress sleeves,and gold vines beaded on the neckline and sleeves.
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 02:19
Moved from the Green Dragon Inn by Goldsand ...

Halloween is coming up, is anyone else here planning on a LOTR inspired costume? I'm going to be an elf princess. I've bought a white elf like dress, painted elf ears (realistic), a super long blonde wavy wig (think Galadriel, I need a wig because my hair is too short now), and I'm working on the crown, but it'll look like the one Arwen wears at the end of ROTK, with the silver and green beads. Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes? I only own heels and sneakers!
Oh and yes I'm back, did anyone miss me? Haha. During the summer I have too much going on to use the computer a lot.

[Edited on 10/18/2004 by Goldsand]
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 02:21
Moved from the Green Dragon Inn by Goldsand ...

no. I am wearing my evenstar necklace though. I'll be going to a renaissance fair on the thirtieth. I don't know if I'll do anything for halloween or not. I'd LOVE to go as an elf, but I am VERY allergic to those prosthetic ears. If I were to wear them, they'd have the same effect as sticking a hot iron to my head :cry: I could use bandaids, but those are about 5 shades darker than my pale self.
I have shoulder lenght brown hair so Eowyn is out of the question. (I'm not a fan of wigs, I have to use like 25 to 50 bobby pins for it to stay put). :rolleyes: Plus I'm only 5'5". I could go as a guy character, I have the hair for it, and I'm small chested enough that it shouldn't be too much trouble to hide... wouldn't mind running around in a Boromir costume.. even if I look NOTHING like 'im.
Great, I have a good idea, and no money to go on it :banghead:
Um, I do have a silver Arwen dress. I wear another tight fitting medieval dress under it. The one size fits all is too big for me. The collar part goes under my bra :twitch: one size does not fit all... I love that dress, but it makes me feel like such a hobbit.

[Edited on 10/18/2004 by Goldsand]
WintrerFairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 02:11
For shoes I recomend going to A departmeent store (Foleys is where I went) and getting a pair of slippers.Then you can bead them if you want to be real fancy.A bit of a warning though if you are going to be walking for a long time you should stretch out your legs.Walking in somthing that flimsy for a long time can stress them some cause you would be use to wearing something with a heel.
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 09:49
For the shoes.....how about a simple pair of light colored ballet flats...then maybe you could do some beading or something on them?
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 06:00
also for the shoes:

So far, slippers-- good recommendations, sure, but you're gonna freeze your feet if you do that and you live in a cold-ish place like I (sorta) do-- by that I mean it **always** is frozen on halloween-- two years ago it was fifteen degrees out and about a foot and a half of snow on the ground... year before that was about thirty, and raining... you get the idea, right?

Anyway, if you really don't want to be skipping through the puddles in ballet or jazz slippers, you could also use boots. I can rather easily imagine (especially the male characters) wearing boots. For someone like a ranger, or a Gondorian, perhaps an Army Salvation store would be good. Something **used** as obviously their boots were. For an elf, slippers would be better-- but if I don't go barefoot (like I want to), I'll be wearing a pair of one inch -ish ankle boots, black leather... very Nazgulish, really, but oh well.

Any ideas on Elf hair? Legolas-braids seem too simple, but everything else really hard-- is there anything in between?
(mid back blonde slightly sorta maybe a little curly/wavy at the ends)
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 10:37
Here's a pic link of me in my elf outfit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/futureidol/measlg.jpg

I ended up just wearing a pair of light blue heels I already had, because I had spent so much money on the costume I couldn't afford anything else. Plus I live in NYC, so I need something solid on my feet. But thanks for the suggestions.
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 06:36
Wow! You are very beautiful! Very elflike! You have beautiful lips! And eyes! Amazing!
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 09:30
Awww thank you so much Lady Legolas. I loved dressing up as anything from Lord of the Rings, it was my first time! I wish I could be an elf everyday, it was so much fun. Hopefully I'll be invited to a few costume parties this year. Halloween should really be more than an annual event.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 04:45
You did look really nice. Expecially with that headpiece. I think that really hit the spot.

Last year, (2004), I went as Frodo from the Return of the King. I had everything he had in RotK except for suspenders. I wasn't able to make those in time. But no one noticed as I kept my vest on all night. I'd post pics, but I'm still working out how to download stuff onto this sight. But I did look good. :disco:
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 11:45
I made my sons, nieces, and nephew all lord of the rings costumes this last Halloween. It was fun but a little stressing. My 8 year old son was Legolas but refused to wear a wig. My 4 year old was Sam and 2 year old was Pippin and my nephew was Frodo. Nieces were Galadriel, Arwen and Eowyn. If anyone wants to see them.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Elbereth5/costumes/

Edited to fix link

[Edited on 9/7/2007 by Dolwen]
Hawkstra
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2007 09:50
I'm definitly being a Ranger this year, or maybe the Doctor from Doctor Who... (That's doubtful) I have an almost entirely hand-stiched costume which looks pretty authentic (considering the fact that I have the sewing talent of a drunken sheep) There's a long yellow-y brown shit and dark jeans that go on first (these are the only things I didn't make) Over that goes a long brown tunic, a lighter brown vest, my vambraces and a dark green hood (which could easily fit two people) I think it looks great! Depending on the Halloween weather (chances are it'll be pretty darn cold) I may wear the burgundry trenchcoat I picked up at a thrift store. This costume is very fun and cheap. Grand total, about $10, not counting the coat which was another $10. Wow- an entire Ranger costume for only twenty dollars! Easy, cheap, and cool.
drspin98
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2007 06:54
Trying to get my Sauron costume together, if not I'll go as The Witch King like I did at Dragoncon in ATL. I'll post a pic if I get a good one.
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2010 10:39
I'm feelin' the need to revive this topic.

Imma knit the 4th doctor's scarf and hand out candy to anybody who recognizes it.

So... what's your Halloween costume?

Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2010 11:59
I'm going to be Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Just worked on my costume a bunch today.
My blog ensanguining the skies. how heavily it dies. into the west away; past touch and sight and sound. not further to be found, how hopeless under ground. falls the remorseful day.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2010 08:57
Nice Photos guys! You look beutiful as an elf samandfrodoforever! As for me, I'll proberbly be an orc, since I have 6 orc costumes made for my Fan film, I'll use one of them. I'd like to be a wraith...but The metal work on the guantlets would take ages.....

[Edited on 20/10/2010 by Aragorn16Estel]
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2010 01:00
I'm going to be the 11th Doctor from Doctor Who. Which'll be little hard since I'm a girl.
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 02:06
I'm going to be the 11th Doctor from Doctor Who. Which'll be little hard since I'm a girl.

One word: FEZ
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2010 04:25
Wow! Great costumes everyone!
Last year I dressed as a woodland elf. For fun and with some inspiration from a fantasy artist Amy Brown, I wore horns and a mask.
Picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Feyna/PG/elf4.jpg

Note: this was taken many months after Halloween and the costume itself was made by my mum. Sorry my sewing skills are super poopy. But at least I made the horns!

This year I'm going as a faun lass!

[Edited on 30/10/2010 by Feyna]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email