Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Archery!
on: July 03, 2007 02:39
What sort of bows do you all shoot? Mine is a longbow, because I shoot in a relatively small garden I shoot blunts mainly at plastic bottles and buckets.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 07:38
I have a recurve that I shoot at bales of hay in the small clearing by my house. I have to watch for stry cats and squirrels though, they are always in the way. I have wooden arrows I shoot, painted black. My bow is black as well and my back quiver is dark brown leather, very soft. I don't use an arm guard, tab, glove, anything. It's just me and the bow, occasionally a slap on the arm reminds me to pay closer attention but I've only done that twice.

I may have my dad set up some targets for me to shoot at. He helps me the most in my shooting, althought I'm pretty much self taught. He used to shoot as a kid so when I do somethnig wrong he corrects it quickly, but he tells me how and shows me, he doesn't help me. He says I only will learn if I find out for myself. I love shooting, and I love sword fighting, but that's another story entirely.
chickentech
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 09:54
I shoot a 42# fiberglass recurve @ 42" that I got not to long ago, a 50# fiberglass and wood recurve @ 58" from a yard sale. It's in really good condition and it's brand is like bear or something like that, is supposed to be a really good rather expensive bow. I shoot these really cheap red fiberglass steel blunt head arrows that suck alot.And I shoot at a white foam target in my back yard.

I currently use a cheap side quiver and camo arm guard, but I plant to make my own leather back quiver and arm guard. I also use leather finger guards. And I plan as soon as I get a job to buy some good wood arrows.

[Edited on 5/7/2007 by chickentech]
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2007 01:22
Just a suggestion, don't buy wood arrows if the bow is over 50lbs., because they will probably break. Cheep fiberglass or carbon arrows tend to work well, since a recurve doesn't need ultra straight hunting shafts unless you plan to shoot really long range. They also make some carbon and fiberglass shafts with a wood-looking finish, but they aren't cheap. You can get cheep carbon arrows for $1.50 a piece though, and they work quite fine.

P.S. Does anyone know anything about the 2008 Hoyt bows???

[Edited on 5/7/2007 by Legolas_Expert_Archer]
chickentech
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2007 01:51
well I'm not so sure of that being wood used in arrows is flexible and can endure a lot, when buying wood arrows you just have to be sure to buy arrows intended for that weigh. arrows intended for higher weight are usually thicker or use stronger wood. My reason for getting wood arrows is because I sometimes miss my target and it gets stuck into my fence, so when I try to pry it out my fiberglass arrows get scratched up really bad making them unusable because the fibers in the scratch are razor sharp. with wood arrows I can just sand them smooth and what not. also these arrows are so cheap that the fletchings are not put on at a slant which gives arrows their spin there for making them more stable. these arrows are not stable in flight at all.I need some arrows that are descent and fly straight. oh and wood arrows look cooler.

[Edited on 6/7/2007 by chickentech]
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 06:46
Of Course wood arrows are cooler, but I can't use them with my compound because they aren't straight enough, and usually weigh far to much, because they don't have a strong enough spine for high speed cams. But on the contrary I'm going to pick some up soon, because I'm gonna buy a recurve or longbow.

[Edited on 7/8/2007 by Legolas_Expert_Archer]
silmenuquerna
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2007 05:47
Of Course wood arrows are cooler, but I can't use them with my compound because they aren't straight enough, and usually weigh far to much, because they don't have a strong enough spine for high speed cams. But on the contrary I'm going to pick some up soon, because I'm gonna buy a recurve or longbow.

[Edited on 7/8/2007 by Legolas_Expert_Archer]

Actually, wood arrows are way stronger than you think. For example, medieval archers, with 150 or 200lb longbows, shot with wooden arrows. And when you're using a compound bow, spine is almost a moot point. Almost every single compound bow is center cut or equipped with an arrow rest, meaning that you can just grab arrows spined about 10-15lbs higher than the draw weight. And wood arrows are just as straight as carbon or aluminum, and much less likely to get bent if you take good care of them. The reason that most people don't use them is that they are more expensive and react more strongly if you mistreat them.

[Edited on 14/8/2007 by silmenuquerna]
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2007 11:45
I use wood arrows and they take a lot. I shot a rock when I first started and it split the rock. I wasn't aiming for the rock, it happened to be there. THey do take a lot, trust me, I was awful when I first started. Then I got better and now I don't shoot anything uneless I am aiming at it. Mom however hsa no faith in me. She told me not to shoot her when she was behind me,on the pavement. she walked in front of me and told me not to shoot until she moved. I was like I'm not gonig to let go of an arrow when someone's in front of me, that's really dumb. she just smiled.
QueenAralorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2007 10:10
Try push ups .. very good for your archery arms

I would never do push ups in my life i just do archery to have fun
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 09:51
*curtsies*

Reading this.. I so long to take up archery again... But, considering the cost *sigh*... Does ANY wood go? To make the bow, I mean. I have more or less free access to birch... would that work? If one uses wood from the more slender branches?

Grateful for reply.
randomsomeone
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 07:41
Kinda random.. but does anyone have any ideas for targets? I have some basic stuff I borrowed from my friend but it's kinda boring.
Anything more interesting I could use.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 02:48
We used shapes of animals, when we were "target-hunting". Put a circle where the heart-area is. You get a ten for hitting it, and 5 for the body. it should be tried to make it realistic size. Birds can be drawn and hanged up. They are harder to hit, but it is anyway fun. We had drawings of everything, but the animals were put on a small wooden "wall" that was created to stand by itself. Each animal was then put so that the feet/hooves reached ground.

That is one suggestion.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2008 10:22
Oh man, finally I've been able to shoot again, it feels so good! I went so long without a target I thought I'd die j/k. And I have a Block to shoot at, no more hay bales on hills for me! I even have a private little area to shoot in now so I don't have an audience anymore...(which can get annoying )

And if it's variety you're looking for, have you tried standing a target on a hil land shooting up at it? Or standing on a hill and shooting down, strictly for different perspective? Or even if your # isn't too much, shooting at scarecrows and pretending you're at war? Someone told me that was lots of fun, mom won't let me shoot at her scarecrows...But shooting on a hill or at a hill is fun, I've done that before.
Frazio
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2008 01:08
Well, all I have to say that making your own bows is pretty fun. My buddies and I tried making Bows and Arrows. We used Bamboo Poles and balls of twine. We carved the Poles into bows and then used the twine as the string. We made like Shortbow, Longbow and a Compound one. For the head, we coiled metal wires around the tip to give it some weight. Did a 25m or something them. Then we were all running around in the field trying to shoot at each other. You guys can try it out, though it isn't as good as the ones in shops.

~F
Elsendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2008 06:58
I do some archery. I have a recurve bow. You probably want somewhere around a 20-pound draw weight. Plus stuff like arm guards, gloves or a finger tab, and a quiver. Good luck! I'm still a beginner, but even so, when you're having fun, it doesn't matter!
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2008 06:03
If you have any questions about compounds, chances are I can answer it. I know a good amount about trad equipment but not nearly as much as compounds.

Words from the wise:Always try many more than 1 bow before you buy, and never buy the hype. Try before you by.

My bow costs about $1,400 US.
That is an expensive thing if I change my mind on what I want all of a sudden, after trying 16 different bows, I bought mine and couldn't be happier.

greensquirrel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2008 05:57
Archery is great! I was lucky, theres a really good club about half an hour away right next to a river! Its really great. I really enjoy my recurve bow, but I', getting help from the longbowers and using one of the club longbows, not as good as your own one would be, but as its a higher weight than my normal one I'm building up a bit before I buy one.

Also, anyone for when they first startout, if you manage to get a badly bruised arm, put some distilled witch hazel on it. Sounds maybe slightly strange but its a great herb, and you can buy it from the chemists. Gets rid of bruises really fast! Just dab some on on a piece of cotton wool or something about twice a day. I just always keep some in the house now
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2008 04:10
Archery is great! I was lucky, theres a really good club about half an hour away right next to a river! Its really great. I really enjoy my recurve bow, but I', getting help from the longbowers and using one of the club longbows, not as good as your own one would be, but as its a higher weight than my normal one I'm building up a bit before I buy one.

Also, anyone for when they first startout, if you manage to get a badly bruised arm, put some distilled witch hazel on it. Sounds maybe slightly strange but its a great herb, and you can buy it from the chemists. Gets rid of bruises really fast! Just dab some on on a piece of cotton wool or something about twice a day. I just always keep some in the house now

You do know that if your arm is getting slapped your not shooting with proper form, and getting slapped is the best way to be reminded of that?
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2008 09:04
True... But then again... I have an elbow that is over-bendable, and I can hardly find a good way to keep it at level. It is very difficult. I am thinking of taking up longbow instead (I used to use recurve, and at this point, I cannot shoot at all). A good pad can help one to get less bruised nonetheless, and beginners will most likely need that herb until they have managed to get their arm right angled. I know I'd need it... :rolleyes: LOL!

I am thinking of making a special pad to support my elbow, as my muscles aren't strong enough. Any ideas of how to make my elbow stay in place? (It twists when stretched.) I was thinking of adding a piece of steel for extra support. It will make me not be able to bend my arm, I know, but it will at least help me to keep my elbow out of reach of the string.
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2008 02:07
The best way I've been shown over the years is to
1. not clinch your fist, hold it open like a hook.
2. try to point your elbow out and bring the bow toward your face.

It can feel a bit awkward at times, but it will keep your arm out of the string's way, and help your accuracy by allowing your arms to absorb more of the recoil than the bow itself. This is especially helpful with the recurve, as you lack a great deal of the technology of compounds.

You really have to figure out what will work best for you on your own. The ultimate point is not to allow your arm to stretch out completely.
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 04:09
i used to stink at archery but when i started practicing (i dont have a life so i have a lot of free time) i practiced for hours at a time. i watched videos on youtube about archery to see the correct way and stuff now im pretty good for a person whos only been doind it for 2 months
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 11:42
I love archery :love: My dad is teaching me in the back yard...I also learn some of the moves from the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 04:48
yeah at first i tried to shoot like will in the first book then i read it and finally understood it but now i get it
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2008 10:10
I understood it...and I knew when Will wanted to first test it, he would get scraped on his arm...it happened to my dad when he first started, so now I understand
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2008 10:44
Thanks for the tips, Cuio Mai! I will try to find a good way. I don't have very long arms, so I need to keep it quite stretched, but I will try to make it a little less stretched - at least enough for my elbow not to twitch. Thanks! :heart:
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2008 01:23
Well then, other than changing the draw length, I do not know. And that's never easy.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2008 02:03
*giggles* Sounds like something that involves surgery or extensions...
No problem, I'll work it out! Do you know if it is possible to use birch tree branches to make bows?
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2008 06:04
Yes, I think it is possible...I'll have to ask my dad though...he's an expert on archery...
Eletúrë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2008 10:25
I used to be an archer. To any beginniners - always always always wear an arm guard. Me and my friend did it without - I was good and my arms are fine. She on the other hand has a massive bruise all the way down her arm. *shakes head*
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2008 02:57
welll it all depends on if your elbow bends in (mine doesnt) so i dont have to worry about it
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2008 06:09
Heh, I accidently let go without any vambraces the other day...and I was like Will when he first tested a bow :blush:
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2008 08:07
ooh that sucks
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2008 08:30
There's no bruise, but I can sure feel it when I press down on it...
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2008 11:28
An ordinary protection wasn't working for me. My arm was always blue-black every time I had shot... I was given a really large one, and then it worked better. My elbow is not only a female's (men's and women's aren't exactly alike) but also over-bendable, as I said before. But Cuio gave me some good tips that i will test as soon as my first own bow is finished. I have to make one myself.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2008 08:56
I don't know how flexible my elbows are, but I do know that I'm consitered double-jointed, which means you are flexible...LOL I like going into weird contortions

Anyhow, I told you what to look for on how to make a bow Good luck...I did mine the easy way though...I bought it...
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email