Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Archery!
on: December 26, 2012 10:45
Okay I've got a question. I have a recurve bow, that's about a 25 pounder. But I have no arrows, when I tried to get some from a sporting goods store I was confused and unsure about the length of arrows I should get. Yes I probably should have 'hunted' down a sales rep, but I didn't.

So on to the question, how do you determine how long of arrows to get? And do you have any suggestions on how to make arrows your self?

As always thanks for any and all help!
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Bran Telpidil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2012 02:47
You figure the length of your arrows by fullydrawing the arrow with your bow and making sure the tip of the arrow is about 4 inches beyond your bow and hand. Thisa allows for occasionally overdrawing when you are in a hurry.
Bran
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2012 10:57
so those of you who have recurves, what color do u have?
Bran Telpidil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 01:44
My one recurve is white (like bone) and light wood with a darker wood core. It's draw weight is around 45 lbs. The other one I have is a dark wood with a draw weight of about 30 lbs.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 02:47
Yeah, i really want to get a 50 lb or so recurve bow. I can't stand compound bows though. They're just... meh.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 06:47
i think compound bows are cheating! lol. to easy! i want a silver compound. do any of u know what pound draw i should have? i am 5'4
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 08:46
I've got a black (yuck) one made out of some nearly un-destructible plastic material. Eventually I'm going to buy a wood bow.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2012 07:25
my friend has a wooden one. it is green and brown. he likes to make things out of leather, so he put an Indian head above the arrow rest.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2013 03:56
That sounds cool! Sadly, I do not own a recurve bow. I did get to take archery, and I got to use a recurve. I like them muchly! (recurve bows). I don't really like compounds either. They seem to easy to use, although I'm not sure that I have even used one before, lol. The bow that I used was a 25 lbs when pulled back. The top and bottom part were plastic, an off-whiteish color, and the middle of the bow was light brown wood. Didn't look that amazing maybe, but hey, it worked!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 07:58
Compounds are weird. lol i have a red one
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 01:51
I have a very negative opinion on compound bows to be honest...i'm good with the new type of crossbows they have out tho Someday I will buy myself a bow...maybe in a year or so
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 08:38
your signature is awesome btw
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 07:33
ty, i have a paper full of those quotes
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Lynnx
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2013 11:04
About how long (on average) does it take for one to become fairly proficient in archery? :3
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 31, 2013 08:43
I would guess, that if you practiced almost every day, then several months.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2013 10:23
Perhaps. But some people are just naturals. I'm not excellent, but it really isn't that hard.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2013 03:50
No, it is not very hard at all. I took archery for somewhere around a couple months. I'm not extremely good, but I can usually hit the target. Although I haven't practiced in a while because I don't own a bow.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 07:38
i can usually hit the target. when i have one! mine is ripped and some parts r missing. it was just a paper one any how. i need a real one! when Danny comes over he brings his and we go outside and shoot. that is when the little kids r inside! then there is less danger of someone getting hurt. but the arrows r not really sharp. it is just because his bow can shoot fast and if it hits u, its going to hurt!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 07:38
i can usually hit the target. when i have one! mine is ripped and some parts r missing. it was just a paper one any how. i need a real one! when Danny comes over he brings his and we go outside and shoot. that is when the little kids r inside! then there is less danger of someone getting hurt. but the arrows r not really sharp. it is just because his bow can shoot fast and if it hits u, its going to hurt!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 07:40

sorry, it double posted.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2013 10:54
Yay for archery! Just found this forum. I keep stumbling upon awesome forums I would LOVE to learn archery for real! They offered it as a choice for a sport for gym class in high school, so I signed up for it. Then they told us they couldn't find the tarp that they put behind the targets to stop arrows from damaging the walls So all I learned how to do is string and un/de- (?)string a recurve bow. My dad has a 75-pound compound hunting bow that's all camoflaged and has HUGE arrows to kill big things. It was my grandpa's bow. But I'm not strong enough to pull it back Then my grandpa gave my dad another bow, a recurve bow, that he found in his garage from when my dad was a kid. I use that one now because it's easy to pull back and shoot. I'm all for recurves But I want to learn to shoot it for real, with a real target (not "real," as in living, but "real," as in NOT CARDBOARD!) Someone needs to teach me!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 04:20
I had a really awesome teacher that shares my name. I would show you how to shoot, lotrelessar, but we're kinda far apart... YouTube might have some tutorials on how to shoot...just a thought.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 11:45
oh good idea! its the thought that counts I've always been a Legolas/Katniss/Susan/Kili wannabe hehe.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2013 02:22
I use a recurve bow and the drawback weight is really heavy. But I am really good at it and hit a pop can, or a soda can, from about 30 feet. Also, your all going to laugh, especially lotrelessar, but I drew an Orc on a cardboard box that is what I am assuming to be life size (About 7 feet) and named it Daisy I have some problems but I do love doing archery, but sadly, the lovely weather here in Buffalo only allows me to shoot from about May to October. I would love it to be year round, but I guess you can't have everything ya want
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2013 07:27
Well, a friend of mine had a costume party one time, and we had this set of a cheap kid bow and arrows, and the target was a picture of an orc. Not a very big one though.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 02:51
hahahahaha The only way I'd feel comfortable shooting an Orc all alone with no friends near me is...on a cardboard box. In addition, they dont get mad when you skewer their liver, too
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 09:11
I got a new recurve bow yesterday! it is silver with 3 silver arrows. it is SOOOO cool!!! will be posting pics soon!
ZergLuxRusher
Council Member
Send Message
I live in Croatia and I want to buy a bow, where I can buy a bow and how much it costs?
In a hole lived a hobbit...
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
There are quite a few good shops online, I hope they'd ship to you. A full set up costs several hundred dollars usually. I'd also recommend looking for any clubs near you. They can help you with technique (if you need it) and may supply targets. They could also have better advice about where to find good bows. Of course, I have no idea if you have archery clubs in Croatia but I hope this helps in some way.
ZergLuxRusher
Council Member
Send Message
Yes there are some Archery clubs!
Thank you for help!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
hey everyone! sorry i have been gone in a while! but i am back now! my recurve bow is awesome!!! my papaw and i had an archery contest today! it was a blast! the white was 1 point, blue is 5, red is 10, and yellow (the center) is 20. i won! i got 128 points and he got 103 points! i won 2 scoops of ice cream lol
ZergLuxRusher
Council Member
Send Message
Thats nice!
You are in archery club?
How long do you train your archery skills?
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
Nice shooting Legolas23. How many arrows did you shoot? I just entered a competition with our club and I got 584/900. Not sure if that's good or not but I beat my friend by about 100 points (white was 1-2, black 3-4, blue 5-6, red 7-8 and gold 9-10 and I shot 90 arrows at 20 meters.) Its great to find some other people interested in archery!
ZergLuxRusher
Council Member
Send Message
I think archery is more useful then Football.....ETC.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Ok, to answer ZergLuxRusher's questions:
I am not in an achery club
About four months!

saerwen_tarierl's questions:
I had six arrows. i want WAY more, but they are so expensive!
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email