Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: When u just wanted to slap that character...
on: November 26, 2004 07:08
Frodo when he sent Sam away *slap*. That was just MEAN. Stupid Frodo sent his best friend away only because he ate all the lembas. Or that's what Frodo thought.

When Denethor made Faramir cry *slap*.

When Denethor tried to burn Faramir *slap*.

When Denethor......OKAY...he was annoying almost all the time *slap* *slap* *slap* *slap*

Faramir because he betrayed me. *slap* Come on Faramir! You would never try to take the Ring. Why were you such a jerk in a movie?

When Eowyn killed a Witchking :cry: *slap*. Allrigh allright...that was for personal reasons. Sorry Eowyn.

Pfft...can't think anything else right now.

[Edited on 26/11/2004 by Moonwalker]
AvalonEstel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2004 09:22
And finally, the "Duh" ~Smack~ award!
This was a no-contest...The second runner up, first runner up and all around winner is.......(drum rollll).....
LEGOLAS!!!!!
Yes, for having nearly all the lines that spoon fed the most dull witted viewer ("A distraction", "Orcs!" and a hundred others), Legolas is this years winner for the "OBvious Lines" ~Smack~ award (AKA the "Duh" ~Smack~ award and the "Councilor Troi" ~Smack~ award)

I totally agree with you there. I liked Legolas in the books, but boy did Orlando protray him as an idiot. No offense, Leggy fangirls, but Legolas was not just a pretty face in the original. I think they could have picked much better lines for him, but we get stuck with "A diversion!" I mean, what was that all about?

I also wanted to smack the living daylights out of Denethor when he was being so horrible to Faramir. What kind of father tells his son that he wishes he was dead? And then tries to kill him? :banghead: He deserved to die.

I wanted to smack Frodo for telling Sam to go back in ROTK. I'm not a huge hobbit fan, but I really liked Sam for his steadfastness and loyalty. I mean, you don't get much better than Sam, right? And then, despite all that, Frodo sides with Smeagol?! :angry:

And I think Gandalf was just plain dumb when he let them go through Moria, after he had warned and warned against it. After they were out of the mines, and they showed Frodo crying, my mom was like,"That's right, go ahead and cry. You know it's your fault!"

I did NOT like Haldir in the movies. I just thought he looked too stuck up. I love him in the books, but in the films, the smack factor's high!

Boromir when he tried to take the Ring in FOTR, as well. I think he redeemed himself in the end, though...

[Edited on 28/11/2004 by AvalonEstel]
_mithrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2004 06:48
:nono: When Galadriel blew up at Frodo in FOTR for offering to give her the ring. (Don't scare the hobbit besides I don't recall her turning blue in the book)

:banghead: Gimli when he said it would be better to go under the mountain. (bright idea let's go wake up the balrog)

:rolleyes: Theoden when he was pocessed. (get the spirit out and get with the program)
ladyAredhel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2004 05:16
I don't know how anyone can say they want to slap Eowyn because she has feelings for Aragorn, lets get one thing straight she does not know hes in love with Arwen. When she meets Aragorn he doesn't tell her and she never meets Arwen till shes with Faramir so she doesn't know about Arwen. Another thing is that in the film Aragorn leads Eowyn on! with little smiles here and sharing a cup there. If anyone should be slapped in this little love affair its Aragorn, who does he think he is the hugh heffner of middle earth?

but if I had to slap someone it would have been Arwen her voice drove me mad (sorry all Arwen fans) I liked the character but hated the voice and some of the changes to her.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2004 05:30
I don't know how anyone can say they want to slap Eowyn because she has feelings for Aragorn, lets get one thing straight she does not know hes in love with Arwen.

Oh, I am not annoyed cause she fell in love with him, I mean that was in the book. Just the freaken puppy dog eyes and poddle face she makes.

As an interesting side note, when I first read the book, I didn't realize he was with Arwen either, and couldn't understand why he was giving Eowyn the cold shoulder (so to speak), cause really, Tolkein doesn't make it abundently clear does he?
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 28, 2004 01:19
I agree, though not for the same reasons.

Eowyn, honey, there's a far better man out there for you, and Aragorn isn't interested, you're not his type, you're far too mortal

Particularly during helm's deep, when she's told about Aragorn falling off the cliff, my gods, she looked like a lost poodle there!

I agree that Faramir is a better man for Eowyn. They make such a great couple together so everybody wins.
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2004 10:24
The only character I've ever wanted to slap is Gollum. I know the ring has warped his judgement and such, but he does such horrible things, especially when he betrays Frodo and leads him to Shelob. :angry: I can't help but want to whack his head off.
Amras89
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2004 05:40

What I really didn't like was how Faramir was portrayed in the whole taking Frodo, Sam, and Gollum to Gondor scene. I think Peter Jackson really took a liberty there. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy all three movies, but I think that at times he strayed too far from the books.
samira
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2004 06:00
I'm sorry to say the one I thought to act well lets say to emotional was Faramir. When he is trying to retake Osgilia.
After all, all those when who rode with him died so he could proof his qualities to his father.

Otherwise I think he is very good character.
GrímasMistress
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 11:46
Well, the characters I most wanted to slap were:

1) Theoden - for generally being a plug headed misogynist when he tells Eowyn she can't fight in TTT and for throwing Grima out of the Meduseld

2) Eowyn - for rejecting Grima's advances

3) Legolas - for being Legolas

4) Aragorn - for not being able to make his mind up between Arwen and Eowyn.
Lotrfreak37
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 03:06
Charcters i just wanted to slap":::
Gollum when he bit off frodo's finger--eww-- :twitch:

Merry when him and Pippin got seperated in RotK..Why didnt he ask Gandalf if he could go too?

Frodo for putting the ring back on(sorry dude but i got to)

Sam for actually listening to frodo and going back down that freakin mountain

And a slap for sarumon for actually makin the ring in the first place!!! If he wouldnt of made it, the world would be a hell of alot easier!
galadriel_evenstar_idril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2004 10:39
A slap for ...

Pippin: Stop acting like a little kid! (No offence)

Ringbearer3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 11:57
A slap for....

Arwen for deciding to leave at the end of TTT.

COME ON!!! Elrond came in and basically told her that even if Aragorn survives the fighting...btw she should have known that there's a chance that he dies...he'll still die of old age. No reason why that should be a huge suprise. When he dies she'll be like evening without a star...meaning she'll be sad and empty and eventually die as a mortal. All things she should have already considered BEFORE pledging herself to Aragorn. (She told him "I choose a MORTAL life" mortal=death. period. And besides, she should know from hearing the story of Beren and Luthien) Instead, she asts like she didn't know that was going happen and left. *SLAP SLAP SLAP*

A small slap for Aragorn for leading Eowyn on just a little Here's a question I want to ask all the people who think Eowyn should have known Aragorn belonged to Arwen. How? She's not telephatic. Aragorn doesn't have signs all over him that say "ARWEN'S PROPERTY. DON'T TOUCH" When she sees him, there's no way she could have known he was taken. HE starts talking to her in the sword scene. HE is the one who starts talking to her in Helms Deep. (She was listening to Gimli when he leaned over and made the comment about the beards). ARAGORN was the one who started giving her long looks when she went to help Gimli up. She only returned them.

When Eowyn notices the evenstar, she asks him "WHERE is the women who gave you that jewel." Notice that it doesn't have to symbolize a lover...it could be a sign of favor from a higher power, from a family member, from a friend...Aragorn says that "she (note that he never clarifies that it's his intended) is sailing to the undying lands with the rest of her kin." That basically means that whoever it was is gone from his life forever, which makes him open. It's only AFTER she hears that when she actually starts approaching Aragorn.

*so small slap for Aragorn*

slaps for Denethor for being horrible to Faramir, to Grima for stalking Eowyn, and to all the baddies...just cuz.

[Edited on 29/12/2004 by Ringbearer3000]
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 03:38
Hahaha!! You guys crack me up; I thought I was going to die from laughter. lol....

*clears throat*

Yeah...anyway, I have to add to that "Duh" list of Smack~awards~:

Pippin when he says, "the eagles are coming"!! DUH!!! It's not like everyone's blind or something. I could see them quite clearly.....so....yeah. Just something that annoys me. lol...
But please don't get mad at me! I think pip is a great character; but just that one line, just....arggg....
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 06:48
When Aragorn SMILES--SMILES!!!!!--at Arwen in TTT as he turns to leave Rivendell. He just broke her heart and he has the gaul to SMILE at her? Men!!! Even the Kingly variety!
_Mouth_of_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 09:07
I wanted to slap Arwen in basically EVERY scene she appeared in. I especially wanted to smack her when she spoke. Thought there were several scenes where Bilbo deserved a right smacking and of course -- Denethor bagging on Faramir.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 09:08
Ringbearer, I really like your analysis, there's no way Éowyn could've known Aragorn was taken. Anyway, for me it's far easier to empathize with a woman pining for a man she can't have (and who only says before going to the Paths of the Dead that he's taken and that he has wished her joy since he met her - the latter a line that in the book was said at Faramir and Éowyn's wedding).

The slaps go to:
-Denethor for being so mean to Faramir.
-Aragorn for leading Éowyn on.
-Elrond for not telling Arwen that he saw the vision with Arwen, Aragorn and their son.
-Gollum for stealing the lembas and Frodo for sending Sam away.
-Gandalf for not telling the rest of the fellowship why he didn't want to go into the mines.

Precious!
bookwormbethm
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 07:55
1. Denethor, whenever he was on the screen.
2. Legolas, for saying only the most OBVIOUS things. Aren't elves supposed to be perceptive, anyways?
Ringbearer3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 09:58
When Eowyn goes and kills the Witchking (cmon now what's that all about? [i haven't got that far in ROTK so don't ruin the book for me] i was waiting for Gandalf and the Witchking to have some big fight, bcuz they were leading up to something like that but noooo, Eowyn has to go and step in and kill him herself?!!?!?) .... ...yeah, okay im done for now

yes, cause gods forbid a woman did it.

Oh wait, no man could kill him....and that's not a spoiler, he says so quite explicitly in the movie.

Actually, in the EE eddition of RotK, Gandalf and the Witch-King *did* have a big show-down. It ended in about five seconds when the witch-king broke Gandalf's sword....(or staff...whatever weapon he had) and was about to kill Gandalf until he was summoned to Pelanor Fields. So yes...let's be mad at Eowyn for doing somthing that Gandalf COULDN'T!!!
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 04:52
Well, here's the confusion, could Éowyn have killed the Witch-King, even as a woman, if Merry hadn't pierced the wraith armor with his elf-forged sword? I have my doubts. The confrontation is one of my favorite scenes in RotK, but I don't think Merry gets enough credit (probably because in the theater release he never got the elven sword, and so his thrust couldn't be shown clearly).
Precious!
Ringbearer3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 11:50
Well, yes, of course. But since Eowyn was the one being *slapped*, I had to defend my fav. character.

*hugs Merry*
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 01:02
Pippin when he says, "the eagles are coming"!! DUH!!! It's not like everyone's blind or something. I could see them quite clearly.....so....yeah. Just something that annoys me. lol...
But please don't get mad at me! I think pip is a great character; but just that one line, just....arggg....
Still, it is a line straight from the book in that very fight . It is just not Pippin who says it.

It ended in about five seconds when the witch-king broke Gandalf's sword....(or staff...whatever weapon he had) and was about to kill Gandalf until he was summoned to Pelanor Fields. So yes...let's be mad at Eowyn for doing somthing that Gandalf COULDN'T!!!
Gandalf was **not** sent back to fight against the Enemy in person. He was sent back to create an avalanche of actions, performed by those who would dominate the world after the battle (which happen to be mortals). Because wizard or not, he was "trapped" in a mortal body which was given to him by the Valar (the ones who sent him back after the fight with the Balrog).

Which reminds me: I wanted to slap Théoden for being such an old fool in TTT, after he was released from Saruman. But I was very happy to see that he was a true king again in RotK, so I do not want to slap any character anymore.

[Edited on 1/1/2005 by Eruantalincë]
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 03:20
Still, it is a line straight from the book in that very fight . It is just not Pippin who says it.

[Edited on 1/1/2005 by Eruantalincë]

Seriously? Ohhhh...I thought only pip said it!! *slaps self* lol. Guess I should finish reading the books.....

*sorry pip*
Lotrfreak37
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 12:00
The character I have wanted to slap so many times is gollum..thank god sam realized he was evil..I think sam and Frodo should of just thrown him in the dead marshes when they had the chance....would of made things a little easier for frodo and sam..
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 03:17
I reallly wanted to smac Legolas when he told Aragorn that the men were cowards in TTT.:evil:
Denethor for being a pessamistic idiot & not lighting the beacons of Rohan.

Elrond for telling Arwen "there is nothing for you here" & Arwen for not defending herself & telling Daddy NO means NO!!!:
LongLostIdiot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 05:53
I would rather slap PJ whenever he screwed something up( I mean the major ones like Frodo sending Sam away, Faramirs whole attatude thing, and the elves in TTT to name a few), but I also want to slap ...

-Denethor (wanted to throught the entire movie)
-Haldir (way too smug)
-Legolas and his fangirls (get your head out of the clouds and get over him, beat half of you have never read the books!)
-Grima (the same part where everyone says that if they were Eowyn they would do it)
-most everyone before the Helms Deep fight
MrsTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 04:25
Denethor, just everytime I saw him.

In ROTK EE when saruman was demoting grima...

Oh i don't remember when it was, but in FOTR Bormir ruffled Frodo's hair like he was a little kid...
Reichiru
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 09:17
I might get bashed for this... but just about every scene with Legolas. His role in the movie consisted of widening his eyes and making rather vague, annoying statements. :evil:

Amen to that. I think I was just annoyed that he got so much attention when he barely did anything in the books and my poor little Pippin :love: was trampled (at least until RotK) by all the Legolas fan girls. lol

I feel the same way about the scenes with Denethor. But that just means that John Noble did a REALLY good acting job. right? Oh man... expecially during Pippin's song... could he chew a little LOUDER?! ick...

I didn't really wanna slap anyone at this scene, but in the extended scene with Saruman when they're talking to him on the tower I started cracking up because here he is up on this HUGE tower and they're talking to him like he's standing next to them! :twitch:
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 10:48

Oh i don't remember when it was, but in FOTR Bormir ruffled Frodo's hair like he was a little kid...

Oh yeah, I hated that part too. I believe it was the part where the fellowship is climbing up to Mt. Caradhras...
Milliecake
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 01:07
I wanted to spank...oops I mean *slap* Legolas in ROTK EE after that 'game over' comment. And for not getting drunk, mmmm tipsy Legsy

Isildur for not ditching the Ring when he had the chance, Elrond for letting him walk away with the Ring.

Treebeard and the other Ents for taking so long to become involved in the war and then only by chance.

Legolas again for that whole oliphant scene.

Denethor for his callous treatment of Faramir.
Bookfaramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 07:05
Oh, I wanted to slap many characters in the movie and tell them: "C' mon, you're not doing this in the book! You're much better in the book!"

- Faramir, when he says: "The ring will go to Gondor!" :angry:

- Treebeard, when he says that the Ents will not go to war.

- Frodo, when he sends Sam away on the stairs of Cirith Ungol

- Denethor, when he eats like a pig :nono:

- Gandalf, when he beats Denethor with his staff - this is not the way the wisest of the Maiar would treat the ruling steward of Gondor

- Aragorn, when he beheads the Mouth of Sauron - that was so un-kingly! :nono:

- Aragorn, when he lets the Palantír fall

But rather than the characters, I would prefer to slap PJ, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens for all these unnecessary changes from book to script. :evil:
longbotton
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 02:57
Eomer, for having one and the same facial expression during two mowies, and for making jokes about marrys arms - i mean, even Aragorn and Boromir had never doubt his fight ability!
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 03:04
Eomer, for having one and the same facial expression during two mowies, and for making jokes about marrys arms - i mean, even Aragorn and Boromir had never doubt his fight ability!

Aw poor Emmy! Give the guy a break! First of all, he has more than one expression (see: fight with Gimli, Theoden's Decision, his talk to Eowyn in Dunharrow, when he finds Eowyn on the battleground).

And about that scene, there's a small part in the ROTK EE afterwards, where he explains to Eowyn what he feels war is about, and that gives a lot more depth to him and that joke.
longbotton
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 03:21
Wow, You are fast! OK. i will forgive him. But the EE also showed, he was wrong.
GollumDeagol
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 10:24
Farimir for being an evil fiend to Gollum! It was bad enough that he let his army guys beat Gollum, but grabbing him by the throat like that in the EE really turns me against him.

Frodo and Sam for doing nothing while Farimir chokes Gollum.

Denethor for being mean to Farimir.

Denethor for eating in an over-the-top evil manner.

Arwen for stalling the movie with her whispering.

All of the Orcs for taking up too much screen time.

Frodo for being too over the top.

Legolas for shooting Grima in the ROTK EE.

Legolas and Gimli for being so cavalier about killing with their counting game.

Gimli for making the warning shot miss.

Gimli for suggesting the dead remain enslaved.

Gandalf for calmly watching Denethor run off in flames and not trying to help him.

The lava for killing Gollum.

The Mouth of Sauron for what he said about Frodo.

Frodo for leaving at the end and making everybody, including me, sad.

Everybody for killing innocent oliphants.

Merry and Pippin for making one too many cheese-ball comments.

Eomer for being Brad Pitt.

Merry so his jaw might go straight.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email