Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Erutanie_Litsos
Obnoxious Futbol Maharishi & Local Fremen
Send Message
Post Member Works Database
on: October 20, 2004 11:35
Hey! I was thinking...I've been on CoE for a fair bit of time, and I've seen dozens of translations of songs, poems, chapters from books, tattoes, etc. that members here on CoE have thought of and posted here for constructive criticism. Wouldn't it be cool if all those works of art were all contained into one database *with due credit given of course* where people could look through them without having to scroll through hundreds of old topics in the messageboards? Firstly, it would give the wonderful people who take time to write these awesome pieces some due credit, and Secondly it would cut back on the repeated askings for translations of popular songs. *Like I remember seeing "Into the West" requests pop up mulitple times when the Soundtrack came out*. I would love to help with this if it seems like a modest proposal. I do realize that there are differing opinions on a lot of stuff in some of the translations...it would probably just have to be figured out as it went along. Either let the author have the final word or the experts *meaning Naneth, Maethoriel, etc.* could decide the best translation. Naneth? Maethoriel? Council Members? What do you think?

Tanie

P.S. I just had the freakiest feeling that this has been done already and I'm just spouting off like some know-it-all idiot. Well, I'm not trying to be, for the record...if so, please let me know where it has been done.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: Member Works Database
on: October 20, 2004 12:19
There is a 'Composition' page under the main Languages. There are some prerequisites and restrictions on submitting and submissions, though.

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 02:38
Yep, submissions just need to stay within the 4-20 line limit and, of course, the writer needs to want it published in the first place. I check over anything submitted so we don't have people taking one lesson and then just putting a bunch of words together.

The Composition page is here: http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Content&file=index&action=ViewContent&cid=12

It's rather small at present, so this is good publicity for it. Any compositions should be submitted by PM.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 03:52
Just reading through some old posts and I thought this one worthy of being "moved" to the front again. These submissions are perfect for anyone working on their translation skills. It would be wonderful to add more!

A challenge for those out there that are much more versed than I! Perhaps some autumn poetry or holiday/winter work.

I promise if others submit things I will try my hand at something too!
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 04:20
So after issuing a sort of challenge last night. I tried my hand at poem writing and stayed up late, making 5:30 AM something I didn't want to face this morning.

So I have a poem written in Sindarin and translated into English. Do I have any volunteers to check it for my (I'm sure) many errors?

Or Naneth should I just submit the thing to you?

[Edited on 2/11/2004 by sindarinelvish]
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 06:57
Usually you just post it to the E101 Forum. What helps, though, it to post it in the following manner - line-by-line:

Original English
Sindarin Translation
Literal Translation

That gives folks an idea of your thought processes and how/why you might have come up with a certain translation.

And, if you can remember to, note what is Neo-Sindarin/Noldorin that helps too.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email