Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
presage
Council Member
Send Message
Post How have you displayed your replica weapons?
on: December 05, 2004 09:13
There are so many collectors of the replica weapons, I thought I'd ask how everyone is displaying them and what reaction you get.

We have three UC swords so far and display them on their plaques in the dining room, which is really set up more like a library.

I'm such a rotten cook that when we do have a formal dinner in there we can always use the swords to hack through whatever meat product I have destroyed.

The reaction to the swords has been mostly positive. My 11-year-old son's friends think they're awesome. However, I suspect most of my girlfriends think I'm nuts and their husbands look at me with a touch of fear in their eyes. LOL

presage
Sailasiro
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: How have you displayed your replica weapons?
on: December 06, 2004 07:01
Hacking your dinner? Thats funny. I have not hung mine up yet. When we finish the basement and wall off the family room, Anduril will go on a wall down there. IN the meantime I am going to hang it upstairs in the living room. I told my husband I wanted Narsil for my birthday in January...so maybe I'll have two to hang!
lotr_freak17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 03:13
So far I have 3 swords, with 4 on the way. I hang mine in my bedroom because my parents think I'm crazy. I hung mine on the plaques provided. So far not many people have seen them because they are in my room, but I know my brother likes them because he tries to play with them and I yell at him for touching them .
Lillith_Phoenix
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2004 01:25
The only one I have properly displayed is Hadhafang, due to it not being wall mountable. I have it sitting on a coffee table. lol
The other 4 I have I'm having to wait until a later date to wall mount as we're moving house within the next year, so I want them presented and displayed properly.
But they sit within arms reach so if anyone wants to see them, they can pick them up as long as they are very very careful.

One of the oddest things I did was, when I first got Herugrim, I fell instantly in love and insisted on it being in my eysight at all times. I even fell asleep with it one time by accident (honest lol), a couple of times I had it leaning against my bed.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 11:53
Herugrim is my favourite as well. I've always been a bit of a horse nut having bred and shown horses before I became a Mom and my choice became "Feed the kid, or feed the horse". The detail on it is magnificent. I was also stunned by its weight.

Our house is old (at least by West Coast US standards -- makes my UK friends laugh). The dining room has craftsmen vertical moulding, so each sword fits perfectly between the panels. Can't wait to fill them all up!

presage
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 11:20
The only one I have is Hadhafang, and I got it at a little sword store. Its not a perfect replica, but I saw it and just had to have it! Right now I have one shelf in my bedroom that exhibits all of my LOTR related things- figurines, books, etc. The sword is hanging from the shelf on two strips of leather. It sounds weird, but its an attractive effect.
None of my friend's are into LOTR, so when they saw it they looked at me strangely and asked why I would waste money on something like that. They *just* don't understand!
My mother is just as into LOTR as I am, and she loves it. My brother also has a sword- Excalibur- that hangs on his own bedroom wall- so he likes my sword as well. I really want to add to my collection, but I must get a job first!
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 03:44
I have a replica Anduril It's displayed on my bedroom wall between two tapestries of King Arthur. and aligned with a Gothic arched mirror. For some scary reason it seems to shine a silver-blue at night.(It's not just my overworked imagination, my mum said the same when she stayed in that room) I have ordered a replica Guthwine and am still waiting for it to be released here in the U.K, Not sure where to display that ,Any ideas? PS Forgive no accents, if that's what you call them ,over the letters for pronunciation ,I havn't a clue where to find them on this computer.
merryadicbrandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 04:33
I hang my replica of Sting on my wall in my room.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 05:22
Hi everyone,

Well, we moved to a new "old" house and even though my cooking has not improved, our weapons are now in my son's room instead of the dining room. We're up to five swords at present. Despite working in law enforcement, and no matter how tempted I may feel on any given day, the weapons stay home.

The first time I wrote on this subject my son Keegan was 11; he's almost 15 now and has taken possession of the weapons (even though Sting and Herugrim are supposed to be mine). We have some pretty strict rules about him taking them down and showing them to friends, but his bedroom has turned into this strange combination of medieval aresenal and baseball locker room (without the nasty smell -- no moldy shower shoes!).

For those of you with kids (I happen to be a pretty geeky single Mom who also loves baseball), how has LOTR influenced your kid's interests?

Keegan has really gotten into medieval weaponry and battle tactics. We had a special metal-topped table made which has been set up with his AOME guys in action. He's made a trebuchet and mongonel which sit happily next to his autographed baseballs and trophies. He's also gotten into archery. It's all a bit surreal. But don't worry, no animals have been harmed, no matter how many times he asks if he can shoot cherry tomatoes from the treb at the nasty local cat that drives our dog crazy. (So please, no cat lovers out there scolding us.)

I also bought, and grudgingly built, a tall glass-doored cabinet for his 6" figures. And I just need to get this out: I HATE IKEA! Building their stuff drives me insane!

Keegan is determined to attend Stanford and either go directly to the MLB or WETA Workshop. Mr. Jackson, are you listening? Need a shortstop?

Oh, for those of you displaying Sting on a wall -- what have you done with the scabbard? It's such a cool accessorry, but doesn't work on the Sting wall plaque. We just have it sitting on a table below the sword along with some other LOTR pieces.

Best regards to all,
presage

Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 11:14
I have four as well and in our old house I used to have them all displayed together on the wall behind the couch. Now I have Shards of Narsil and Anduril displayed on either side of my custom framed map of ME in the dining room. The other two(Legolas fighting knives and Strider's elven knife) are displayed on each side of a big book shelf. The book shelf has two 4 ft. high selves on either side of a 8 ft shelf so the swords fit quite nicely right above each of the 4ft. sections especially since my Sauron helmet is on top of the middle shelf. Unfortunately my kids will have to wait until I die to get their hands on my swords lol.
But none of them have become particualry interested in LotR over the years. But two are still quite young so they may as they get older. My husband is a Star Wars nut so he had mostly won them over.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2009 03:15
Every year, we go to this one store that has a ton of LotR weapon replicas, so I have currently Legolas's Knives, Sting, and Glamdring. Sting and Glamdring are mounted on the wall (Sting's scabard is under my bed ) and Legolas's Knives are on the table by the other swords
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2009 12:51
The only weapon I currently have is Legolas' fighting knives which are mounted on a nice plaque in the computer room.
I really love the detail on the hilt and blade, I wish I had the money to buy another weapon. Maybe when I move out and have a job I can get Anduril or Sting.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email