Register

<< First89101112Last >>
Author Topic:
Raldo_Widefurrow
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tengwar transcription help
on: May 12, 2008 10:22
Hi there. I'm mostly interested in learning the Tengwar (Mode of Beleriand) as an alternate script for writing English. (English, as well as bits of Spanish and Danish are floating around in my head. Elvish, I fear might o'er tax my weary brain!)
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if there is a symbol for the "j" sound.
Any insights?

[Edited on 12/5/2008 by Raldo_Widefurrow]
joe4560
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2008 10:30
Howdy doody. I wonder... Is anybody doing this anymore with the transcriptions? It was such a nice thing to do and would be a shame if it fizzled out. Us lesser beings can't do these things without your higher skills.
Rawrlings
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2008 05:42
hi ive seen bits of you work looks amazing
could you please transcribe
1. Melane Eruwaedhiel
2. no idea what this is about im afraid to say bit of a newbie
3. the one ring style
cheers
Rawrlings
Hyarmenyon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2008 10:20
So I've been fiddling around with Quenya Tengwar and I've learned a little bit about how to transcribe English into Tengwar. I have some tengwar fonts and Tengscribe(not sure if I trust it) and have worked to get Matthew 7:13-14 transcribed into tengwar. Just the book name, chapter number, and verse numbers, not the verses themselves. Would someone please show me if I have it right by posting it? Or tell me how to post what I have and you can check my work? The verses themselves would be nice just so I can see if it would be too much to get a tattoo.
Mitire
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 04:45
Hey, it's really nice of you to be doing this, transcript for others. and they are really beautiful!
I hope you would like to transcript this for me =):
1. Believe and you will find your way
1. All that is gold does not glitter

2. Not sure what this is though
3. Tengwar annatar and one ring

Would really epreciate it! I'ts for a tattoo. Thank you!
michele
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2008 09:24
I want to have my horse's name tattooed, and I want to check if my tengwa is correct. The Sindarin word for Daisy is Eirien. So...

1. Eirien
2. Tehta Mode
3. Formal Book Hand

Thanks
agobbett
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2008 03:11
1. Alex...Berianir....Tirithedain
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Formal Book Hand and Verse Hand

Thank you
sscrivani23
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 04:09
I've been looking for someone fantastic like you!!!! lol

1. Believe and Dura
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Verse Hand
Minto
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2008 09:03
I hope you still do this, last year you did my name and that one is already tattoed on my back. Now I hope you would like to do my sons name:

1. Levi
2. ?
3. Formal book hand
Cúroniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2008 02:50
I hope you are well and still willing to transcribe things into tengwar. If so, I would like to ask you to transcribe the following;

'Ennyn Cúroniel hiril o Imladris: pedo mellon a minno'
(I hope that makes sense.)

into; mannish sindarin tehta mode
in verse hand (and formal book style if that's not too much to ask).

I also wondered whether you know what the cirth and the tengwar on the tiltle page of the lord of the rings and the hobbit mean. I was able to translate the cirth, for as far as I know it means; ''the lord of the rings, translated from the red book". Am I right about that?

Thanks in advance,
Cúroniel
visitingUmbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2009 05:57
Hi, I joined the website just so I could get your help! (I'm sure i'll find plenty more to get into, this website is amazing!)

1. Beren and Luthien
2. I think the Beleriand mode is most appropriate but I'm looking for the Elvish on the title page of the Silmarillion.
3. Tengwar annatar truetype font

thank you so very much, i've attempted my own translations but i'm not proficient enough in the least!
_Maya_
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2010 09:20
hello my new friends

i kindly ask if somebody can help me to write this in " one ring inscription style"

- stand up and move forward
- may the stars shine upon your face

thank you very much
kind regards

maya :love:
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2010 03:29
Hey, I was just gonna ask Uialdil_i_degilbor if he/she uses a program to write this freely, or if it is hand written-

or if there is a program one could do it themselves, seeing as Uialdil_i_degilbor has quite a few transcriptions to do. I would like to ease the burden by doing it myself!
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2010 05:30

In the tehta mode of Gondor, the rule seems to that óre (21) is used at the end of a word, and rómen (25) was used everywhere else, though Tolkien tended not to be very consistent about that point in the attested sample. In the mode of Beleriand, rómen was used for every occurence of r. The other modes and those used for other languages have different rules governing the use of óre and rómen.

óre is used to represent a "silent r" (think of someone with an English accent saying the words 'park the car'), rómen is used to represent a trilled r (like in Spanish or Italian). Thus while it usually occurs at the end of words in the tehtar mode, it can occur in the middle of words as well. rómen however never comes at the end of words (in the tehtar mode), because that doesn't look pretty (and an elf would never have a trilled r in word final position). However óre should probably never be used at the beginning of words, if an 'r' occurs at the beginning of a word it should probably be written using rómen.
My source for this information is I Quetin I Lambë Eldaiva, by Thorsten Renk.
flyyoufools
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2010 10:23
Hello. I joined this website because I'm hoping to get a Lord Of The Rings inspired tattoo when I turn eighteen. I've looked through almost all of the transcriptions you've done and they look amazing.

1. 'All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us'
1. 'Not all those who wander are lost'
2. I'm not sure of which 'mode' I want, so I'll be happy with whatever you think would be best, you are the expert after all.
3. One Ring inscription style and verse hand, please.

Thank you so much.
All the best.
samantha04
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2011 02:13
1. "the girl who lived"

--In the Sandarin translation thread, someone said it translates to "i iell i guiant". I don't know how extensive your knowledge is with actual translations. I want it as a tattoo - would you recommend whatever mode was created for English words, or in the actual translation? It is SUCH a confusing language system!

2. Mode... I have no idea what that even means.
3. Formal Book-Hand and One Ring inscription-style, if possible.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I apologize for my Elven ignorance.
Tórion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2011 10:14
1. Hakon, Tórion(Torion?)
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Formal Book Hand
CocoSolo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2011 11:03
Dear Uialdil_i_degilbor,
I have just joined the council & have been reading your thread. What you do is amazing & your scribes are exquisite. My friend & I are seeking the help of someone with your expertise. We have just finished our first book. We worked together for 18 months & last month, had the book published. We worked so hard & towards the end felt as though were scaling Mount Doom it's-self. To celebrate the end of the project we both would like a quote tattooed. We have tried using a translation device's online, but we can't achieve the desired result.
Would you be able to Translate & Scribe the following quote.
"One does not simply walk into Mordor"
We feel that this is lesson we have both learned the hard way, we had no idea how hard or long our journey was going to be. This quote sums it up for us & if we are going to tattoo it, we would like it scribed by you.
If you can help, we would be eternally grateful.
Sincerely,
Marie.
bromporke
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2011 01:58
Wow, I can't believe you're offering this service, thanks so much! I was actually going to get the following tattoo-ed on the backs of my arms:

"When can I wake up from this dream?"

Do you think you can translate that into the Tengwar Annatar script? I would be SOOOOOOO thankful if possible! I'm gonna try to on my own but I don't know if it'll be quite right :/
bromporke
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2011 02:05
Sorry, I didn't put in the right details in my last reply!

1.When can I wake up from this dream?
2.Mode-not sure what that is... how about... Phonemic?
3.Verse hand
99GreenBottles
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2011 04:22
Hi. Could you transcribe the following for me please?

1) This too shall pass
2) Don't know what mode really, but whichever looks more elegant please.
3) Formal book hand

and

1) It's always darkest before the dawn
2) Same as previous
3) Formal book hand

Thank you so much for this. I have them both from an online transcribe machine but wanted to know what you would make of it.
Laurenhunt_88
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2011 03:36
I don't know whether this will work or not but hear goes

1. I carry your heart with me, i carry it in my heart
2. Phonemic Mode
3. verse hand or one ring or both (at a push)
so i can see what they both look like on a tattoo

thank you in advance
Xariex
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Tengwar transcription help
on: March 10, 2012 04:27
Can anyone check my transcribtion of A Elbereth Gilthoniel?Image
Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 05:40
Hi! Can someone tell me how I could find the "drawing" of the word "friend" which is translated "mellon" or "bella" (sindarin language) by Gandalf in front of the doors of Durin for opening it?
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 10:08
Hello,

The word is "mellon" in Sindarin(not sure where you got 'bella'. Do you have a copy of Fellowship of the Ring? Tolkien's own drawing has it there.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 04:14
What do you mean with "copy"?
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 06:48
Sorry to butt in, Gwen - I think I see what this member means. Greenleaves, by 'copy' Gwen simply means if you have the Fellowship of the Ring book. It has Tolkien's picture of the gate of Moria in it, and the word 'mellon' is written on the gate. You can also see the gate here - http://www.councilofelrond.com/imagegallery/tolkien-illustration-pic-14/ . The word 'mellon' in the tengwar alphabet is the second word from the right, on the upper text arc.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 06:57
Oh thanks! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm French
But in the book, the picture is like on the door, isn't it? I'm just looking for the picture of the word and I don't know how to distinguish it...
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 07:07
No, there is no picture for 'mellon': Tolkien's Elf/Dwarf languages don't use drawn symbols for words, just alphabets like normal languages. You possibly mean the star at the center of the gate - that's not a symbol for 'friend', but the emblem of the gate-designer's family.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2012 07:10
So we can not find the translation of "mithlond" in elvish symbols neither?
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: March 13, 2012 04:04
Just in the Elvish alphabets (either the curly script -tengwar-, or the runes). No pictograms for Elvish, sorry.
Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2012 05:23
I think I found what I was looking for but I want to be sure it's right. I checked with the Elvish alphabet but can someone tell me it's a right transcription: http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/_ennyn1.png
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 13, 2012 11:24
I have a inquiry as well... Are any of the tengwar fonts that you have on this site accurate? I have some downloaded on my computer, and from the descriptions of the fonts I cannot tell if they are true to real tengwar or just based on its form. Thanks!
Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2012 03:36
I just found it on the net. I have some fonts on my computer too but they don't really translate. They just give a form.
NerdyHalfling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2012 11:53
1. Boys don't cry
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Formal book hand
<< First89101112Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email