Register

<< First910111213
Author Topic:
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Tengwar transcription help
on: July 29, 2012 11:30
NerdyHalfling, I saw your request in a separate thread. I posted a reply there, and then saw that you also asked for it here. If you want, you can use my transcriptions. I also translated the sentence. It reads "Gwînyn û nallar."

gwîn – "youth"
-yn – pl of -on, suffix meaning "male"
û – negative adv, "not"
nallar – "they cry"

So literally, the sentence reads, "Male youth not cry-they."

Here is the transcription in something close to the book hand. (The transcription on your other post uses the Ring script design, Tengwar Annatar.) I've also included the phrase written in Cirth, most commonly used by the Dwarves.

Here ya go!
NerdyHalfling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2012 02:17
Thank you so much Smoore!
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2012 06:45
I'd love a transcription done, please! A friend and I are making a decoration for another friend's door, based on the design of the Gates of Moria.

1. "Annon Aranel, Hiril o Ambenn Nost: pedo mellon a minno. Im Ireth han echant - Celebril o Neled Emyn teithant i thiw hin." (The Door of Sarah, Lady of Upper Kindred [our dorm]: speak friend and enter. I, Ireth, made it. Celebril of Three Hills drew these signs.) If someone could make sure the translation of the changed parts (i.e. different from the actual inscription) are correct, that would be awesome.
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Doors of Durin inscription style
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
daaesviolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2012 08:48
Hello! Thank you so much for doing this! I am considering a tattoo, and I would love to see the quote in Sindarin script first.
1."I lacha en naur e-chun
Síla, éria, brónia." (The flame of the fire of the heart
shines, rises, endures.)
2. Mode of Beleriand
3.One Ring Inscription style.

Thank you so much!
~A
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2012 08:39
Ireth_Telrunya, I don't have a Doors of Durin font, so I can't do that for you.

daaesviolin, here is yours. The first is the inscription without the hyphen in e-chun. The second is the same, but it has tittles placed over several of the /a/s to distinguish them from other letters, which is optional in this mode.

The third and fourth are the same as one and two, but they have the hyphen in place. I don't think any Sindarin modes use hyphens, but for those of us who don't speak and read it fluently, it helps to see the hyphen to indicate that it is meant to be e-chun, not echun.

So whichever of those four you choose to use, they all say the same thing.
daaesviolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2012 01:36
Thank you so much! I appreciate it more than words can say!!
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2012 08:53
Absolutely!
whatsherface
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 12:54
Uialdil_i_degilbor,
Wow, your stuff is truly amazing! I'm quite new to all of these languages and I wonder if you would help me out with a transcription? I am cosplaying an archer of the Galadhrim and would like to have an inscription on my bow.

1) Gurth a chyth-in-edhil!
2) Mode of Gondor
3) Formal book hand

Thank you so much for offering this service!
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 09:57
Mae g'ovannen, whatsherface.

Uialdil_i_degilbor hasn't posted in here for a long time, so I've taken it upon my self to help people out here. I don't have his or her awesome penmanship skills, so everything I do is limited to fonts, but here is my interpretation of your request as best as I can figure. I used Tengwar Eldamar and Tengwar Parmaite for the fonts; hopefully one of those is close to what you are wanting.

Galu!

Berianir-Thaladirith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2012 10:48
I'm hoping to get a quote from The Children of Hurin as a tattoo, and I think I have the tengwar correct, but I want to make sure.
1. A turin turambar turun ambartanen
2. Tengwar Annatar, if that's possible.
3. Verse hand
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2012 11:33
I am including a couple different variations of it. Use whichever you prefer. They all say the same thing, they just look a little different. The first has a fancy short carrier for a. The second has a regular short carrier. The third has a couple letters that are shaped differently from normal. You may not notice or care.

Greenleavestale
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2013 07:33
Does anyone know if a travel of the shooting places of LOTR exist? I expect to go to New Zealand and that would be awesome to meet this landscapes... Please help!
Sarnandhun
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2013 02:31
Thank you very much, I had been thinking about the best way to figure this out by myself before I found your thread.

1. Eruërthiel...Lithgaladhant...Lithornlant
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Formal Book Hand

The reason for the repeated name is I am not quite sure I correctly translated the first of the two.

Thank you,
Sarnandhûn

Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2013 03:39
Quote from Greenleavestale on January 4, 2013, 05:33
Does anyone know if a travel of the shooting places of LOTR exist? I expect to go to New Zealand and that would be awesome to meet this landscapes... Please help!

Yip, looks like there are, a quick google of 'New zealand hobbit tour' turned up quite a few results. Have fun there!
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2013 10:56
My handwriting sucks, and so the Tengwar Parmaite font is the closest I can get to Formal Book Hand. I hope you like it!

What are the English words? I might be able to help confirm the translations.
Eamanarian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 01:52
Will someone pleeease check my Tengwar for the word randir?? Is this correct??
sourgirl155
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2013 03:44
Quote from Greenleavestale on January 4, 2013, 05:33

I actually just got back from New Zealand and my main reason for going was to visit "The Shire". It was an amazing experience. You can go to hobbitontours.com for the information. Also, there is an official book where they break down the different sites in New Zealand where the movies were shot. They are not still set up like the shire is, but still worth it. You can see the mines of moria, mount doom, etc. the book gives you a map of the country with different locations all over. Also, if you fly New Zealand Air, the safety video is all characters. Of middle earth and there are free LOTR movies in flight. Feel free to message me for more information, it was the trip of a lifetime and I am more than happy to help others experience it!
Thorkoal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2013 12:39
Guys, I'm making a shortsword from scratch and I wanna inscribe it with Tengwar.So I need your help
I've picked my words in Sindarin, but I'll tell you in English what I mean so you can see if that's correct too. If you wanna suggest another name, please, feel free

English:
"Silver Fang, Bane of the winged-dragons"

Sindarin:
"Carch Celevon, Dagnirenrovelyg"

Tengwar Annatar:

The whole y thing confuses me, so does the vowel placement :/ just had like 5 hours to understand only a portion of this magnificent language and writting
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2013 11:06
Quote from Eamanarian on January 25, 2013, 23:52
Will someone pleeease check my Tengwar for the word randir?? Is this correct??

See my reply to your other post.

Quote from Thorkoal on February 4, 2013, 10:39
Guys, I'm making a shortsword from scratch and I wanna inscribe it with Tengwar.So I need your help
I've picked my words in Sindarin, but I'll tell you in English what I mean so you can see if that's correct too. If you wanna suggest another name, please, feel free

English:

Sindarin:

Tengwar Annatar:

The whole y thing confuses me, so does the vowel placement :/ just had like 5 hours to understand only a portion of this magnificent language and writting

Here are my comments of your transcription. Also, if you want these in Tengwar Annatar, I can do that too. I just like using this font better.

Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2013 04:15
Quote from Thorkoal on February 4, 2013, 10:39

English:

Sindarin:

Silver fang = Carch geleb / Carch gelebren (Silvery fang)

Bane of the dragons = Dagnir en-emlyg

Dragons are winged by default, you don't need to make it explicit.
Thorkoal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2013 09:24
Thanks for your help guys

I had another idea, instead of putting in made up stuff like that, maybe if I add 2 verses from JRR Tolkien poems would make it much more interesting
Can you please translate this into tengwar annatar? no need for the origin of the verses, just the Sindarin verses

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And stars always dwell.

Or 'waith bain nura Anor
A panlû elin cuinar

in "Vi Dýr Ennui"

If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.

Ae lastathach ganed 'wael o falas
Gûr lín ú-eritha hîdh bor vi taur

in "Galadriel's Warning to Legolas"

Now I will depart the world
Holding a leaf in my hand.

Si gwannathon i amar
Garel lass vi cammen

in "Naergon an Thinnuel (a Tinw)[Lament for Evenstar(and the little star)]"

I'd also love to know how tengwar looks for the Hoppenheimer famous quote:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 03:03
Quote from Thorkoal on February 5, 2013, 07:24

I had another idea, instead of putting in made up stuff like that, maybe if I add 2 verses from JRR Tolkien poems would make it much more interesting
Can you please translate this into tengwar annatar? no need for the origin of the verses, just the Sindarin verses

And stars always dwell.

Or 'waith bain nura Anor
A panlû elin cuinar

in "Vi Dýr Ennui"

Si gwannathon i amar
Garel lass vi cammen

Eh, I would feel awful if you had that Sindarin put on your sword...

Above all shadows rides the Sun = Or bân 'waith nôr i Anor
And stars always dwell = A elenath ui-guinar

If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore =
Ae lastol i nallad en-gwael am i falas
i 'ûr lîn ú-bostatha min thaur

Thî gwannathon i Ardhon/Amar
Gared lass mi i gam nîn
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 05:39
Galadivren, I have some questions for you. I was working on some corrections here but then left for class, and in the meantime you replied. Would any of this work?

Erin gwaith bain nôr i Anor
A elin ui-dhorthar

Pe lastol i ganed en-gwael od i falas
I 'ûr lîn ú-'eritha îdh min thaur*

Si gerithon thlass mi cammen**
A 'wannathon ed i amar

*I didn't think to check your extended verb list for posta-. I wish someone could get on elfdict and clean it up and add in all these newer words. There has to be a simpler solution than having multiple word lists and dictionaries open at once. For "to cry", I like can- better as it also means "shout" or "call".

**I reordered the sentences here because "holding a leaf in my hand" requires an implied "while" to make any sense, otherwise it's just a fragment. In English this is fine, but for Sindarin I wasn't sure. But Sindarin has no word for "while", so I rearranged it to make sense. Also what the heck is the correct word for "now/here"? Elfdict has about fifty different entries, and I can't make heads or tails out of them.

Thorkoal, translating the Oppenheimer quote, which actually comes from the Mahabharata, will be particularly interesting. Sindarin doesn't have any "being" verbs, though David Salo coined one. This will be a very literal translation of the phrase, but I doubt it would make much sense to an Elf.

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
Thî ni na natha 'uru, i dhagnir erdhyn.
Thorkoal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 06:40
Quote from Galadivren on February 5, 2013, 13:03
Quote from Thorkoal on February 5, 2013, 07:24

And stars always dwell.

Or 'waith bain nura Anor
A panlû elin cuinar

in "Vi Dýr Ennui"

Si gwannathon i amar
Garel lass vi cammen

Eh, I would feel awful if you had that Sindarin put on your sword...

Above all shadows rides the Sun = Or bân 'waith nôr i Anor
And stars always dwell = A elenath ui-guinar

If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore =
Ae lastol i nallad en-gwael am i falas
i 'ûr lîn ú-bostatha min thaur

Thî gwannathon i Ardhon/Amar
Gared lass mi i gam nîn

I thought so too O.o

Can you write that in Tengwar Annatar please? It seems I'm not good at it yet :s
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 03:44
Quote from Cillendor on February 5, 2013, 15:39
Galadivren, I have some questions for you. I was working on some corrections here but then left for class, and in the meantime you replied. Would any of this work?

1 Erin gwaith bain nôr i Anor
2 A elin ui-dhorthar

3 Pe lastol i ganed en-gwael od i falas
4 I 'ûr lîn ú-'eritha îdh min thaur*

5 Si gerithon thlass mi cammen**
6 A 'wannathon ed i amar

1) Well that's a good point, isn't it, erin = or + i, but I think we can leave 'i' out, otherwise we take 'Above all shadows' to 'Above all the shadows'.

2) Hah, yeah, dortha- is more appropriate here yes. That was rather an oversight... I might argue with you about the appropriateness of the plural over the class plural though (Elin and Geil to me sound like 'the few stars of that constellation there' rather than 'all of the stars in the sky', which they aren't.)

3) Aye sure, Can- works just as well. Od = of/from though, am = upon. Subtle shades.

4) Yeah, posta- is just neater!

5 + 6) Going to make a confession here (which was probably obvious anyway), I treated them as two separate sentences rather than a contiguous whole.

Argument about 'what is the word for now', well it's pretty plainly stated in PE17 that the word for now is 'Thî', and that 'Si' means 'here'. I used to use 'sí' = here and 'si' = now too.

Looking at your 5+6 and my 5+6, they're both correct tbh, it's just two different ways of phrasing it.

*I didn't think to check your extended verb list for posta-. I wish someone could get on elfdict and clean it up and add in all these newer words. There has to be a simpler solution than having multiple word lists and dictionaries open at once.

Aye, indeed, I'm working on one (slowly, among the hundred and one other things I have to do!) that combines them all.
A PDF, that is, I don't mean yet another website. I'll be good and see if I can do it in a week.

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
Thî ni na natha 'uru, i dhagnir erdhyn.

*Reads "Now I am be I will be ?, the bane of worlds."* Hmm, yes...
Thorkoal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 11:59
I asked but I think you guys didn't notice the thread :/ I need help getting this:

Or 'waith bain nura Anor
A panlû elin cuinar

to Tengwar Annatar thanks
Thorkoal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2013 04:39
Can you give me some help please?

I need Hathelas (Leaf Blade [hathel+lass]) in Formal Book Hand or Tengwar Annatar, in Standard Mode.

Thank you
Naruvir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2013 02:54
Hello!

I've transcribed Hathelas for you. I believe the font to be correct - please verify?

ElfDict.com - an extensive dictionary dedicated to the languages of Middle Earth!
Thorkoal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2013 09:43
Quote from Naruvir on February 18, 2013, 00:54
Hello!

I've transcribed Hathelas for you. I believe the font to be correct - please verify?

In sindarin, standard mode, shouldn't the vowel be on top of the preceeding consonant? O.o
KassandraBlack
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2013 03:05
guys, who can help. need very quickly! help to write on tengwar this parts from Lord of the Rings:
1.The Prophecy:
Yénillor morne
tulinte i quettar
Tercáno Nuruva.

Hlasta! Quetis
Ilfirimain

2.A Elbereth Gilthoniel
a Galad ven i reniar
hi 'aladhremmin ennorath.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
ithil nâ thűl, ithil lîn hen...

I will be very thankful!you will save my life =))
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 09:37
Hi KassandraBlack,
ive had a go at a transcription for you, though my computer has been acting up so i had to do it by hand- hope it looks ok
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhgj9r7cy9niapr/the%20prophecy.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7vx86a2szzjqjs/elbereth%20gilthoniel.JPG
KassandraBlack
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 07:22
thank soooo much!! you are my new hero ^__^ you realy helps me =*
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2013 12:55
Thorkoal, sorry this is a month late! I've been super busy and haven't gotten on here in a while.

And KassandraBlack, saerwen_tariel did a great job on those transcriptions, but if you want them typed then here you go.

A3ass
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2013 07:40
Can someone help me in typing "Immortality" in Tengwar please?
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 01:04
Do you mean in English or in Sindarin? I'll do both, but English is a little harder do to because the rules are more subjective, and I'm not as familiar with them. I developed my own style for writing in English before I knew very much about it, so now it's hard to break those habits and learn the more correct ways.

Anyway, here are the results. In the other post you made, you asked for "immortality" and "immortal", so I've included both. I also used two different fonts because some people like the second one for being more artistic-looking. I hope this is what you're looking for, but if not then let me know and I'll be glad to help.

<< First910111213
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email