on: March 08, 2013 12:22
Thanks again Cillendor
KassandraBlack
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Tengwar transcription help
on: March 13, 2013 12:33
Quote from Cillendor on March 1, 2013, 22:55
Thorkoal, sorry this is a month late! I've been super busy and haven't gotten on here in a while.

And KassandraBlack, saerwen_tariel did a great job on those transcriptions, but if you want them typed then here you go.

Ohh thanks a lot! thats awesome)
it's a pity that little bit late...((
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2013 12:05
Sorry! School's been killing me, so I've been trying to stay off the Internet more often.
Daeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2013 12:43
I have seen them, and they are included in my font, but it doesn't say on the Learn Tengwar page on this site what the fancy dots and swirls and stuff above the letters are. And the 'r's of Eamanarian also differ from the chart on the site, where it in the chart looks more like a 'y' than an 'n'. Are there multiple ways to write 'r'?
Eamanarian
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2013 06:28
The dots are the vowels. There are two 'r's, one that usually comes before vowels and at the beginning of words, and one that is used for ending words.It helped for me to think of the "y" one as an opener and the "n" as a closer. There are other dots which are used at the ends of sentences and phrases.
Daeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 03:38
Which dots and swirls correspond to what vowel? 'Course, I can write the vowels as individual letters, but it seems more "correct" to write them on the consonants.
Daeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 06:26
Now I am greatly confused, because the chart I've got says that the n-looking tengwar means n, while the double-n is used as n, and the n-looking one is used as an r...
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 06:35
Not quite sure what you mean about the little dots and swirls- do you mean the tehtar (little marks above consonants in some modes)? Because there are many different modes for tengwar and they have different vowel systems. The mode of beleriand has the vowels as individual letters while another mode (can't remember the name) has them as tehtar above the consonant. The chart you have is probably giving you a different mode so here's a link to a PDF that I've found really useful in explaining the tehtar and modes. It is a bit long though so the Sindarin section is probably what you are after.
http://forum.valinor.com.br/attachment.php?attachmentid=38073&d=1306704418
Hopefully that will help to answer your questions. I'm happy to help explain more if you need though.
uir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2013 05:57
http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/tattoo0m2dvc985i.png

Hi guys!
I would like to know whether it is correct like this. (Live,Love,Laugh in elvish)
Thank you very much.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Suilad, I'm trying to get something written in Tengwar correctly but my computer just does not like the tengwar fonts at all....So I'm hoping that someone else has better luck than I. I'm wanting to write "Taug anin ú-daug" in Tengwar, and if I'm correct there's two different versions/types classical and berliand....Or I could be wrong and just confusing myself again. LOL And if it's not too much trouble could someone help explain how to properly use the fonts on the computer, I have it downloaded, but I believe I'm not using them 'properly' (as in using the tehtar)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Sure thing! The majority of Tengwar fonts are designed to use Dan Smith's layout. Dan tried to mimic the chart of tengwar that you'll find in the apendices of The Lord of the Rings. Thus typing B on the keyboard doesn't give you umbar (the tengwa associated with B in Sindarin). You just have to memorize the layout.

By far the best Tengwar font that uses Smith's layout is Tengwar Annatar. The italics version of the font mimics very closely the style of writing used by Sauron Annatar on the Ring inscription. It does have its flaws, though, and for that reason, I turn to Tengwar Telcontar (created by the same guy who made Annatar—not Smith in this case).

Tengwar Telcontar uses a completely different layout that is much easier to learn becasue it closely follows the standard QWERTY keyboard. I use it nearly exclusively. The only drawbacks are that it's hard to install initially and you can only use it with OpenOffice's word processor; Microsoft Word doesn't have the right technology (called Graphite) to display Telcontar properly.

Anyway, here's your text, using Tengwar Telcontar:

Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Ok, thanks for both answering/explaining my question and for the text.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
You're welcome.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My computer is having problems with the font as well. I have no idea why.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Which font? Most of the fonts you'll find, such as Tengwar Annatar, Tengwar Parmaite, Tengwar Sindarin, etc., all are mapped to the normal keyboard. They aren't arranged in a QWERTY format, so you have to just memorize their placement, but they all follow the patter set up by Dan Smith. Annatar is the one that has the really pretty slanted letters.

My absolute favorite font, though, is Tengwar Telcontar. It works completely differently than the others and takes a bit to get set up, but it is much smoother and more versatile, and it's mapped to a QWERTY layout as close as possible.

http://freetengwar.sourceforge.net/tengtelc.html << This site will tell you all you need to know about installing this font, but basically you need to use OpenOffice Writer (it won't work correctly with Microsoft Word), and you have to install a special language pack in the language/keyboard toolbar on your computer. Once you get it all running, though, it's definitely worth the hassle. It's the font I use in all my transcriptions, including the English lettering.

Example of Tengwar Telcontar. This entire thing is written in Telcontar:

EDIT:

I just scrolled up and realized that I wrote pretty much the EXACT same thing above. I didn't even notice it before, even when I copied this text and moved it down. Complete accident. I'm just that enthusiastic about it. ^_\

[Edited on 08/01/2013 by Cillendor]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! the one i had installed was Tengwar Sindarin. I will try the site that you suggested and let you know if that works
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tengwar Telcontar
on: August 19, 2013 09:36
findemaxam48 said:Thank you! the one i had installed was Tengwar Sindarin. I will try the site that you suggested and let you know if that works

Did it work for you?
Little Fair One
Council Member
Send Message
Would someone please transcribe "Meleth o haved i vellas an vaethad" into Tengwar Annatar Italics please? I love how it looks flowy and elegant.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Here you go. I didn't make the background invisible because my computer is running really slowly and GIMP is resource-taxing, but here you are

boonbabysoup
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, can someone tell me if this transcription of word ,Scorpio' is correct? Thank you
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry it took me so long to see this. I haven't been on CoE for a while. I answered your question in the other thread you created. What you have is almost right, but it's missing one thing.
thefairfox
Council Member
Send Message
Post Is this completely and undenyably wrong?
on: December 12, 2013 07:45

cuamin linduva yassen cristlle
cristamin linduva yassen culle

I feel like I might have combined all languages of the Elven races or something. However, it is supposed to say my bow shall sing with your sword and my sword shall sing with your bow -- believe it or not, haha.

..help.
Adharhid
Council Member
Send Message
Post transcription
on: December 12, 2013 08:20
I recently had a quote translated into Sindarin, but I forgot to ask how it would look transcribed into tengwar. I really like the way the Tehtar version looks, so if anyone could transcribe "Me bân chîn in-elenath, that would be awesome. Thanks!
djfrodo
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tattoo
on: December 12, 2013 09:49
Hi everybody! Me and my friends are going to see the much anticipated Desolation of Smaug this weekend and we are all getting tattoos to mark the occasion! As you can tell, we love the works of Tolkin, and I will get a tattoo of Smaug, as well as my name in tengwar. Preferably formal book-hand.

I have been learning it a bit, however, since I am Serbian, I am a bit confused as what should it be. Should it be spelled out as it is or phonetic? Can someone please help?

My name is Jelena. It is pronounced like Helena, only with a "Y" sound instead of "H". Yelenah. You can search youtube for how to pronounce Jelena.

Please respond ASAP! Thanks!
sartorial
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 09/22/2014 by sartorial]
Wonderlandkittykat
Council Member
Send Message
Hi guys

I'm looking to find out two things

I would love to know how to write my name Kelly. I found this Image i believe that the Y has been written incorrectly but I'm unsure how it should look.

The second thing I'm looking for help in is this I'm trying to surprise a friend of mine with this as its her favourite quote and she wants it as a tattoo.
1. Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. One Ring Inscription
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Wonderlandkittykat
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much I couldnt figure out how to write the Y in my name.

awesome thank you so much
v1p3r
Council Member
Send Message
Gúron , Húron and Indion
i want the style of the writing on the one ring
Please i really need them for tattoo purpose! can't wait man
v1p3r
Council Member
Send Message
any help please?:/
LalaithThaliondil
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, I have a quick question: I've noticed that there are tengwar punctuation marks, but something I was reading mentioned capitalization. I don't know if it was talking about the Tengwar or the English, but now I am curious.
Does one capitalize in Tengwar? If so, then how?
Also, what happens to a hyphenated word in Tengwar?

[Edited on 06/27/2015 by LalaithThaliondil]
LalaithThaliondil
Council Member
Send Message
Now that I've read the beginning of the thread (and I suppose I should have done that first, sorry!) I have another question. In the source I have been learning Tengwar from, it only mentions three modes: Mode of Beleriand, Full Mode of Gondor, and Tehta Mode of Gondor. I'm guessing that the Gondor modes are the same as the ones you list as "Mannish" modes. So what is this fourth "Elvish Sindarin Tehta Mode"??? I'm in love with tehta so if there's another mode I'll be really excited. Please let me know!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hi there. Just found this thread. Fascinating discussion.

The capitalization question is interesting. I don't recall seeing anything that looks like capitalization in any of the printed materials, such as the title pages of Tolkien's books. Now maybe that's a limitation of the printing process but I also don't recall anything about capitalization in the notes from the Appendices.

The only punctuation that I have seen was a colon used like a period. Don't recall anything like apostrophes, but then I haven't seen any extensive writing in the Tengwar, just those bands of printing on the title pages.

When I write in Tengwar, I transliterate English words. I just do it to practice the language, so I tend to use English punctuation. Don't know if there is an accepted practice in the Tolkien community.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
keja
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!
I don't know if this thread is still active but I try it anyway
Some months ago I asked in the translation thread for a translation of "battle wound" and Lokyt was so kind and translated it to maetharu for me.

Now I'm looking for the transcription and this is what I've got, it should be in Theta Mode.
I would really appreciate if someone could have a look and tell me if I'm completely wrong
Thanks for the help!

dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Completely correct!
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
<< First910111213
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email