Register

<< First7891011Last >>
Author Topic:
emmyarwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tengwar transcription help
on: October 07, 2006 11:33
Uialdil_i_degilbor: Rim hennaid, many thanks! That is so wonderful.

[Edited on 7/10/2006 by emmyarwen]
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: October 10, 2006 02:29

Estel.
Mode of Beleriand or Mannish SIndarin
Style: Doors of Durin and Verse Hand
(and if possible in calligraphic rendering?)

Estel
stelllllar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2006 08:18
After showing my friend the transcription that you did for me earlier, she's been begging me to bother you for something she wants to get tattooed.

1. I hate everyone. But John Frusciante is good. (pronunciation is Fru-shon-tay)
2. Phonemic Mode
3. Formal Book Hand

I bet these kind of requests are totally annoying but I assure you you are getting the most wonderful kind of karma for doing it.
Thank you so much
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: November 16, 2006 01:09
1. I hate everyone. But John Frusciante is good. (pronunciation is Fru-shon-tay)
2. Phonemic Mode
3. Formal Book Hand

I hate...
frix
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2006 06:42
heya! I previously requested a transcirption of "gwend" from you back in the summer which was amazing thanks again for that! I have been studying more but still dont feel confident enough to go with my own judgement on something and your work is just so amazing so im posting another request lol , well it kind of has two in within it

1. 'freedom' and also its sindarin translation 'leithian'
2. Orthographic Tehta Mode for the English and Mannish Sindarin Tehta Mode for the other
3. Both in formal book hand please

thank you very much again!

FriX
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2006 08:45
I was looking at the tengwar styles. The first three I recognize as fonts, but do you hand-draw the last two? Because if such fonts existed I'd be dying to have them. But they look painstakingly hand-drawn. If so, nice work!
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 07:51
1. 'freedom' and also its sindarin translation 'leithian'
2. Orthographic Tehta Mode for the English and Mannish Sindarin Tehta Mode for the other
3. Both in formal book hand please

freedom/leithian
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 08:39
I was looking at the tengwar styles. The first three I recognize as fonts, but do you hand-draw the last two? Because if such fonts existed I'd be dying to have them. But they look painstakingly hand-drawn. If so, nice work!

The first two are fonts. Johan Winge's Tengwar Telcontaris an excellent rendering of the formal book hand found in the King's Letter. It is missing some elements, so I have to write draw them in by hand. Though it has some ligatures, it is missing others, e. g. the silme + tinco ligature found in words like 'Strider'. It is a great font, but it is a pain to use, and SIL's WorldPad has to be downloaded in order to use it correctly.

The second is Johan Winge's Tengwar Annatar Italic. It provides such an excellent One Ring Inscription Style that there is no reason not to use it. I used to do all the styles in this thread by hand, but Tengwar Annatar Italic provides cleaner lines than my pen.

The third is not a font. The Pointed Style was done by hand. Dan Smith does have a font that is based on this style (Tengwar Noldor), but it is not true enough to Tolkien's example for me. His interpretations of rómen and hwesta sindarinwa bother me especially. Why is it that none of the font-smiths except for Johan Winge and Harri Perälä noticed that Tolkien always closed the top of rómen? Check the fonts of Dan Smith, Måns Björkman, Enrique Mombello, Michal Nowakowski, Tom Redruth, Michal Elliott, Lawrence Schoen, Alberto Otto, Mike Urban, Julian Bradfield, etc. ... all of them have open-topped rómen! Geez! (Okay; rant over.) Tengwar Noldor is a better mapped Pointed Style tengwar font than the other two alternatives, but I prefer to follow Tolkien's example more closely than Dan Smith.

The other two styles, Doors of Durin and Verse Hand, are not available as fonts. In his article on tengwar calligraphy, Måns Björkman doesn't even mention the Doors of Durin style, though it appears in Fellowship of the Ring and is markedly different from any other calligraphy style of Tolkien. For these two styles and the Pointed Style, I do them by hand. In my offline life, I also do Formal Book Hand and One Ring Inscription style by hand. Johan Winge's fonts are a great convenience, though.
Alatius
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 04:41
The first two are fonts. Johan Winge's Tengwar Telcontaris an excellent rendering of the formal book hand found in the King's Letter. It is missing some elements, so I have to write draw them in by hand. Though it has some ligatures, it is missing others, e. g. the silme + tinco ligature found in words like 'Strider'. It is a great font, but it is a pain to use, and SIL's WorldPad has to be downloaded in order to use it correctly.

I'm glad you like Tengwar Telcontar, and even more happy to see such care for typographical details that you have taken in the pictures in this thread. More often than not, people are just content with the computer fonts, and even use them for tattoos without modification and editing, when, frankly, such is often needed. So, to see that you have printed out the texts and edited them by hand to remedy imperfections, is refreshing indeed. You have also given me some inspiration on how to improve Tengwar Telcontar. Stay tuned...

Now, I just wanted to point out that the silme + tinco ligature is actually available, by means of the ZWJ unicode character (zero width join, U+200D). By typing silme + ZWJ + tinco, the two tengwar merge into a ligature. This also works for harma and hwesta + tinco, to form the Old English ligatures. In my unicode keyboard, ZWJ can be found on the Q key.

Also, I'm a bit curious that you say that it is a pain to use? I'll readily agree that it is a royal pain in the arse to have to download dozens of different softwares and keyboard layouts and what not to make a font work, but, once everything is in place, I personally think that Tengwar Telcontar is very comfortable to use, more so than Dan Smith's fonts. I'm asking about this, since I, of course, would like Tengwar Telcontar to be as easy to use as possible, so any input on how I can improve things would be appreciated.

Why is it that none of the font-smiths except for Johan Winge and Harri Perälä noticed that Tolkien always closed the top of rómen? Check the fonts of Dan Smith, Måns Björkman, Enrique Mombello, Michal Nowakowski, Tom Redruth, Michal Elliott, Lawrence Schoen, Alberto Otto, Mike Urban, Julian Bradfield, etc. ... all of them have open-topped rómen! Geez!

I have been thinking about this as well, and I believe there are various reasons for it. There are of course instances where Roomen is open at the top in Tolkien's writings, for example in some cases in DTS 19. However, then also the normal lúvar tend to be disconnected from the telcor, so it is then a feature of the calligraphic style (or sloppyness, if you will). But it is possible that the first fonts where inspired partly by this, and maybe also because of an association between rómen and the latin "y" (in the same way that lambe is similar to an uncial "t" and alda is a "g"). Then, I guess other font creators have taken inspiration from previous fonts, etc, and the notion of the open rómen has become widespread. I have noted that rómen is often open in peoples' calligraphy as well, and I have even got the suggestion that I should open up the rómeni in my fonts.

-- Johan Winge
lilirose
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2007 12:55
Hello. I really like the Elvish script. It is very beautiful. I would like to request a transcription of the following:

Susan de la Rosa (name) or lily rose

I love you.

Thank you.

in Sindarin and in font one ring inscription style.

Thank you very much,
Susan
uribreviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 09:33
:love: sooooo ive been searching high and low on this thing we like to call the internet for a translation of a word into elvish, but i havent found any. im really hoping you can help me. it would mean the world!

1. believe
2. im not sure which type of language, all i knew of the quenya...im pretty sure sindarin is good.
3. verse hand

i want to get this tattooed on the back of my neck, so if you could make it the most normal language that you think would go good for me, that would be wonderful. you do not know how much it would mean to me to get just this one word translated.

thank you sooooooooo much.

namarie!

Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 06:59
Hello. I really like the Elvish script. It is very beautiful. I would like to request a transcription of the following:

Susan de la Rosa (name) or lily rose

I love you.

Thank you.

in Sindarin and in font one ring inscription style.

Thank you very much,
Susan

Problems:
We know the Sindarin word for 'rose' (meril), but not the word for 'liliy'.

We don't know if 'I love' is melon or melon. Also, the only pronoun we have for 'you' is
le, and that is the reverential form. If you are intimate enough terms to tell someone you love him, I would think that the familiar form would be the appropriate form. Unfortunately we don't know what the familiar form is.

We don't know how to say 'thank you' in Sindarin. It's not hannon le, despite what is in the movies.

BTW, this isn't a translation thread. I don't mind transcribing words into tengwar, but I can't transcribe words that I don't know.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 07:03
1. believe
2. im not sure which type of language, all i knew of the quenya...im pretty sure sindarin is good.
3. verse hand

Unfortunately, we don't know the Quenya or Sindarin word for 'believe'. If you can find a suitable alternative translation in the regular forum, I can trabscribe it. This isn't a translation thread.
uribreviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 09:18
ok! yes please can you transcribe it for me?

thank you so much!
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 12:36
Hello again,

Ayou can see from my avatar, my tattoo of my name turned out beautifully, thank you so much! Been a few months since I got it, and im in the process of deciding on my next one. Lord of the Rings inspired of course.....
lynsey
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 12:05
Could i please ask for something to be transcribed for me?
Could i just say first, how wonderful it if for you to offer to do this.

1) The first day of the last month of 2006
could i also be cheeky, and see how it looks as a written date.
1)1st December 2006
2) Phonemic mode, i think, whatever you think is best.
3) Doors of Durin, or verse hand, again whatever you think is best.
I'll leave it up to you to decide on the style, as i saw in an earlier post something about only 1 script being available for numbers?
Thanks so much in advance:love:
karategrrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2007 01:26
Hi, I'm getting ready for a new tattoo and I'm looking for some help in the design...I'm so happy to have found this site...Someone sent me a link for it. I hope you will help

1. The Text you want transcribed.

"Dark my dreams have been of late"

2. If Sindarin or English, the Mode you want.
I'm not sure...Undecided
3. The Script Style you want to see it in.
Again, undecided...Any ideas or examples you would offer would be great! Thanks
MelannenBrennilAelwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 13, 2007 07:59
My first suggestion would be to consult Fíriel, the Sindarin moderator for accurate translations, utilizing the info we have here on the CoE site; though I have worked out a suggestion of my own for you to consider, and you are free to consult Fíriel on my accuracy if you want, so here it is:

The english alternative is first, then the Sindarin words of the translation, then the Tengwar letter representation of the Sindarin words.

the only change there might be is the word for "darkly" ...it might be "dúreb" instead of "móreb"...but I'll leave that distinction to Fíriel...
Bronwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2007 12:12
I've searched high and low to try and find the following phrase in Tengwar Annatar - Today Tomorrow Forever - but I have had no luck. I have done as much research as I can and still no success.

I would like the phrase in Tengwar Annatar Bold Upright.

Could anyone please help me? It would be greatley appreciated.
reprospectra
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2007 09:34
Hey, could you by chance do this one?

1) fly
2) I really don't know what this really is, whatever you think is best.
3) formal book hand

Thanks!

[Edited on 15/4/2007 by reprospectra]
MelannenBrennilAelwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 17, 2007 03:27
reprospectra, I can already tell you that Uialdil_i_degilbor will ask for more info, so my suggestion to you would be to maybe do some research first on the different styles and modes and such and really determine what you really want and how you want it to look...I'm sure Uialdil_i_degilbor would really appreciate it alot if you could do this so the flow of the thread and the time spent would be smoother and flawless... Fíriel would be the person to chat with regarding translations into Sindarin; and Malinorne would be the person to get in touch with regarding Quenya...so good luck...
eastlondon_
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2007 04:20
1. John
1. Josh
2. Phonemic Mode
3. Formal Book Hand
lordoflove
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2007 08:12
Amy Johannsen

What would this look like in the diffent types of scripts, i would love to get my name tattooed on me, i just love this style of writting it's so beautiful - thank you so much
AlfirinTelcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2007 01:20
1. Trenaro i narn
2. Mode of Beleriand
3. Verse Hand

Le hannon!
michele
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 04:59
Hi there

1. the names of the months (can't remember them fr the life of me!)
2. Tehta mode
3. Formal script

I'm busy doing an excercise to test my understanding of the writing of Tengwar and I want to double check my answers. Thanks.
gormson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 12:42
Can I start by saying, what an awesome site this is. Wish I'd stumbled across it sooner.

Anyway, onto business! I've been trying to figure out and teach myself (using various websites!) how to write 3 words in Elvish as I want to get a tattoo done around the time of my wedding in December.

Like I say, I just don't seem to be able to grasp it as yet (however I'm hoping this site can help with this), but in the meantime, as I'm running out of time, I was hoping that you could translate the saying for me:

1. Today, Tomorrow, Forever
2. I really have no idea what this is about, but I'm guessing at Phonemic Mode but I'm not sure
3. One Ring Inscription Style

It would be amazing if you could do this for me, thanks alot.
Gandalf12
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2007 03:52
Would just like the phrase below translated into Tengwar if at all possible. Thanks in advance.

1. Every world needs a hero
2.Mode of Beleriand
3.Tengwar Annatar font
erynwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2007 12:35
1. Lance, Kelli, Middle Earth
2. English
3. formal book-hand, verse hand, tengwar annatar letter set

Basically my husband and I want to get these tattooed and I've looked EVERYWHERE! I have the tengwar fonts (tengwar formal, tengwar parmaite, tengwar quenya) plus I have TengScribe. Since the above items would be permanent, I want to make sure that what I have is correct. Please help me!

Hannon le!
Estel_Glorfindelion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2008 07:22
I have this useful link http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/teng-sin.pdf
you can download it to learn more and more about Tengwar Sindarinwa.
and this site: http://www.thehutt.de/tolkien/fonts.html
*(search for tengwar sindarin font)*

For more info : [email protected]:heart:
gray_ghost
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2008 02:56
I wanted to translate a few words:

1.Firstborn...Brother...Son...Daughter...Gray Ghost....Gray Wolf
2.Mode of Beleriand
3.Formal Book Hand

What is the difference between English and Beleriand Mode?

Thanks.
mielpin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2008 05:32
I have 3 Sindarin phrases I would deeply appreciate your translation into Tengwar:
1)meleth uireb
2)i 'alu an-uir
3)an-uir

I believe I want the Beleriand mode and done in the cursive (italic) as done in the One Ring inscription.

Thank you very, very much!
gray_ghost
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2008 01:01
Can you also do mine in the tehta mode?

Thanks,
Ted
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2008 11:09
Hi can you transcribe the name Charli (spelt that way, no 'e' please; I'm female)

Not sure about the choice for no 2, possibly the full written thingy please.

And the style of the One Ring inscription.

Many thanks, I have no idea how to write the 'ch' sound (as in CHair, as in Elvish its pronounced as ck)
Frodes
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2008 09:19
At seems as if Uialdil has taken a leave of abcense I assume??? I hope she is okay.

Well, Uialdil.....I have read through this entire post and I am quite impressed with your work. I, too, like many others, have been wanting an Elvish tattoo written in tengwar. On the very first page of this post, you transcribed "All that we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." I was wondering if you could describe it into the One Ring Script. I think that is the most beautiful script. Hope you are doing okay!!!

Sara

[Edited on 7/3/2008 by Frodes]
elvenfair1
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 02:39
alright I'm going to give this a shot,hope someone can help.

1. Edhelwen
2.Mode of Beleriand
3.Formal bookhand

[Edited on 23/4/2008 by elvenfair1]
<< First7891011Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email