findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Other, because my favorite, King of the Golden Hall, was not on the poll
Into the West
30% (2)
Concerning Hobbits
7% (6)
The Stewart of Gondor (featuring Billy Boyd)
23% (2)
Many Meetings
0% (0)
Other
38% (3)
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Golden_Leaves
Council Member
Send Message
Annie Lennox has such an amazing voice that I had to vote for Into the West . . . but I like all of the music from all of the movies, and Isengard Unleashed is probably my second choice.
Image Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Other. King of the Golden Hall, for sure.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Concerning Hobbits. Not for the musical skill but for its effect. The prologue is very intense and takes you right back to the forging of the ring giving you that slighly scary history of the ring and everything else. It is very deep and you have to really take your mind there. Then the scene closes and the music starts. Personally, I think it has such an ingenious effect. That weight of the deep narrative just fades away and you can really sense (especially if someone who has never met the tolkien legendarium before) the vibrant and jolly Shire in the present day yet have a real sense of Middle Earths rich history that made it what it is. It is just a beautiful piece of music which works perfectly as the opener for LotR.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
That actually made me quite emotional (obviously catching the spirit of Concerning Hobbits)

[Edited on 11/21/2013 by PSK]
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Huddy
Council Member
Send Message
I loved the Stewart of Gondor. It was my first taste of that style of music and I was completely entranced. The effect was perfect with Faramir heading to war and Denethor eating his lunch. It makes me want to punch that guy!
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
Post May It Be
on: December 01, 2013 07:48
The whole Lothlorien/Lament for Gandalf with Liz Fraser singing is like something actually overheard at the real place. Aniron because Enya really does amazing work. Evenstar and The Passing of the Elves too.

So it's December 2001 and you're sitting in the theater and you've just watched the most amazing thing ever in your life. It started with an Elven queen saying The world is changed, I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air.. And this amazing experience ends with Enya singing May It Be -- and the unbelievable just got more amazing. I'll never forget that night. . . .

[Edited on 12/02/2013 by parluggla]
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I really like The Breaking of The Fellowship, Concerning Hobbits, The Council of Elrond/Aníron, May it Be, and Into the West.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
That's a hard one. All the soundtracks are pretty amazing, and all three albums are different. But the best one, or one of the best, I'd say is "The Return of the King" from the third album. I find it emotional. Every time I listen to it I remember the scene from the movie. The fellowship being reunited by Frodo's bed, Aragorn becoming King, all those people bowing to the Hobbits...It's a poweful song. As for the other albums I'd say: "The Bridge Of Khazad Dum" for it's epicness, it's a fantastical song [Though "Lothlórien" is a good one too because it's very elvish which to me speaks *Tolkien*] and either "The Hornburg" or "Forth Eorlingas". The Hornburg is totally Rohan, heroic and courageous, but Forth Eorlingas is gives me goosebumps because it also reminds me of the scene from the movie. Éomer and Gandalf arriving in Helm's Deep. God, I cry when I watch that scene, lol. ^^
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
LadyElarinya said:That's a hard one. All the soundtracks are pretty amazing, and all three albums are different. But the best one, or one of the best, I'd say is "The Return of the King" from the third album. I find it emotional. Every time I listen to it I remember the scene from the movie. The fellowship being reunited by Frodo's bed, Aragorn becoming King, all those people bowing to the Hobbits...It's a poweful song. As for the other albums I'd say: "The Bridge Of Khazad Dum" for it's epicness, it's a fantastical song [Though "Lothlórien" is a good one too because it's very elvish which to me speaks *Tolkien*] and either "The Hornburg" or "Forth Eorlingas". The Hornburg is totally Rohan, heroic and courageous, but Forth Eorlingas is gives me goosebumps because it also reminds me of the scene from the movie. Éomer and Gandalf arriving in Helm's Deep. God, I cry when I watch that scene, lol. ^^

Totally agree with everything. And I feel the same way about those songs, especially "Forth Eorlingas". That song is fantastic.

But the best song in my opinion is "The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm". I thought it embodied the spirit of adventure of the movie/books.

[Edited on 01/23/2014 by Silmelirie]
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I think Howard Shore catches the heart of each people/race in his music:

The Elves a noble race yet they are leaving Middle Earth forever a sad/sweet/majestic sound to their themes

The Rohirrim pieces catch the brave/warrior heart of the people. At the charge at Pellanor Fields(I hope I spelled that right)the violin catches that this is a people going out perhaps never to come back again and fighting against evil. A bittersweet emotion with the violin but the brass gives a totally different emotion bravery you can almost feel what the riders are feeling.

With Three Hunters you get the determined feeling.

The deaths of characters the music backs the scenes up so well that tears are inevitable.

There is so much more and I don't think there is enough space to write out all my emotions.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
Maybe this is weird, but I like Gollum's song.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I like it too, Beren! It's very creepy sounding.

Ah, Cenor, I am glad to hear that you love the violin in the Rohan themes. It is a sound I have attempted to recreate many times but have only come close to doing.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
I even have the song for the piano. It makes me feel sorry for the guy, even though he is evil in the end.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I sing gollums song. I think that one would more than one violin to produce that effect Maxie.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Maxie, you won't be able to recreate the sound in the Rohirrim theme because it's not a violin. It's a Norwegian instrument called a hardingfele, or Hardanger fiddle. It has four or five sympathetic strings under the bowed strings. See Wikipedia for more info.

American Society:
Hardanger Fiddle Association of America
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Makes sense, tarc. But If I tune my insturment up about an octave, maybe a touch less...I can get super close to the sound. Not that Im going to attemt that any time soon on brand new strings. They are troublesome enough already.
tarcolan
Send Message
I would hazard a guess that a hardanger fiddle can be got for a small fee, if you are fascinated enough by the idea. It goes far beyond simply shape or size or such things. I mean, this is visceral (look it up). The inclusion of sympathetic resonances goes to the heart of much of the music of the world, and indeed connects to the celestial harmony that is the beginning of all things. Make no mistake, it's a big deal. Worth investigating at least. Lookup natural intonation or justified intonation. As opposed to equal tempered intonation, which is the foundation of modern western music. Just a thought. Bless
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
How much is a small fee tarc?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hm, Google says that "natural intonation"( more commonly reffered to as "justified" or "Just" intonation) is is any musical tuning in which the frequencies of notes are related by ratios of small whole numbers. Any interval tuned in this way is called a pure or just interval. The "equal tempered scale" was developed for keyboard instruments, such as the piano, so that they could be played equally well (or badly) in any key. It is a compromise tuning scheme. The equal tempered system uses a constant frequency multiple between the notes of the chromatic scale. Hence, playing in any key sounds equally good (or bad, depending on your point of view).

I get it, surprisingly. It's all in the key something is played.

More can be found here. http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html
tarcolan
Send Message
Errr...no. It's nothing to do with the key. So much for Google. It's more about the difference between semitones. That chart is good on the website, it shows that a natural fifth is a ratio of 3 to 2, but modern equal tuning is slightly off.
Here's the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
OK. The sound files definitely explained things. There's a difference in sound between them. It's hard to explain in words, but I can catch it by sound.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email