Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
eruwenolorien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Clothing terms
on: February 13, 2005 02:12
I know this is going to sound like the most idiotic post ever, but I'm in search of clothing terms. Reading and seeing Lord of the Rings has opened my eyes to the wide venue of clothing options. But all I know is that the hobbits wear cloaks and Legolas wears a tunic. What do you call the hobbits' pants (they can't be capris), and how can I find out what the multiple layers are on people like Faramir and Legolas?

I'm in search of such terms to use in my writing, my journey to find LOTR style clothing, and pure curiosity on how Tolkien connected modern cultures together to create his story.

Any advice would be much appreciated. =]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
Post RE: Clothing terms
on: February 14, 2005 01:19
A really good start is to watch the costume documentaries on the EEs with a notebook in your hands, because they mention a lot of the terms. Otherwise, I suggest searching for medieval and dark age clothing in England, which should give you relatively accurate terms since the costumes in LotR were largely based on historical ones. As for the hobbit's pants, you probably aren't going to find any real-world equivalent, so I suggest you go with 'breeches'. When you're talking about multiple layers, you'll find lots of use for the words 'undershirt' and 'overshirt'. Basically, reading anything set in the period will help you glean useful terms.
Meltintalle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 06:20
Hobbits might wear trousers...

As for general LotR style-clothing, a good website is www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr It's got lots of info on the costumes worn in the movies, ranging from very technical descriptions to more beginner style.
nogi
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 08:48
Here is an other link: www.needful-sins.de/shop/
you find there al lot of medieval clothes. But it´s in german, you must look under "Gewandungen" there you can find many interesting, handmade and useful things. it´s realy fantastic what they have.
For our fotocomic (www.quisaz-haderach.de/comic) we made LothR clothes by ourself. I am (the hobbit) realy wear a remodelt capri and the elves cloaks are made from an old curtain. But it looks like middel-earth clothes...approximate?
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 08:08
Ah yes all the layers of clothing and what and why they are...
Here are two links that might help with terms and more info;

http://www.costumes.org/History/100pages/medievalinks.htm

http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/costuming.htm

Oh and these sites are in english :love:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email