Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post dolling!
on: April 13, 2005 11:32
Here's hoping I'm sticking this in the right spot!

I know there are other dollers here at CoE ^_^ Just thought I'd see how many of yall are into it. I've been dolling for about 3 years now and have been a member of the RoS (Realm of Silliness- a dolling forum) for the same length. Its a simple and fun art form that is soo easy to fall in love with. I went on a small hiatus a while back, so I'm a bit rusty ^_^ you may have seen a few of mine in my journal...
So, who else loves to doll? Got any links to your own LOTR themed dolls? If so, post so we can go have a peep! And a question-- I'm looking for some good male bases for making elves, and men. I've found a few, but I can't seem to locate many. (I have enough good hobbity ones ^_^ ) Help!
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: dolling!
on: May 01, 2005 05:20
Actually, I'd move this to "Many Meetings."
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 12:45
Thanks for your input Alya ... although I'll leave this thread here seeing as how Dolling is indeed a creative venture .
DameMercure
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 09:55
Weee! I do dolling now. I've put a couple of my stuff up on my journal if anyone feels like looking. Also, pointers on how to do hair would be nice too. I'm unsure as to where to start to get that nice wavy sort of hair look. Lol. Anywho, gotta go!
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 03:31
Well I am very new to dolling and I have only just finished my first complete doll. I first decided to try and doll when I saw some of the work of other members in the Dolling club and soon started to search for good dolling sites- particularly ones with tutorials!

Considering I only have MS Paint- my doll is decent enough although no where near as good as people who have really expensive and cool graphics programs such as Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro etc.

Base from Pinkland

Well I have got some constructive criticism from members of the Dolling Club and am now working on my second doll- well at least searching for a base I want to try out!

So if there is anyone still here in this thread- or even still dolling then it'd be great to discuss what programs you use and such like and even maybe share some of our dolls so we can see each others work!

Namarie,
~Arwen

[Edited on 2/1/2006 by arwen_the_evenstar]

[Edited on 2/1/2006 by arwen_the_evenstar]
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 01:07
I've never done dolling but just wanted to say - that's with Paint? Wow! That's fantastic!
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 03, 2006 02:22
thats awesome, arwen! I ought to get back into ms paint- I've always believed dolls done in paint take way more skill than the ones in photoshop. awesome awesome!!
Slina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 09:27
Yes, this is a bit of an old topic, but I'm very much into dolling! I haven't made any Lotr dolls yet, but I mean to make some before too long. I use PSP for my dolls, though I tend to vary between pixel-shading and tool-shading. And for those who only have MS Paint, I know quite a few dollers who make spectacular dolls on that program, so don't worry about not having an expensive program. (And I don't agree that using Paint takes more skill, but I seriously don't want to go there, since I've seen the Paint vs PS/PSP/etc discussion before and it's not pretty...)

Wow, that's seriously your first doll, arwen? That's really good!
caliowin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 02:10
I like to doll!

Here's my Arwen one i did that I love...its not gif im afraid, cos i did it on a program that doesnt let u save as gifs and i havent asked my friend to change it for me. Got photoshop now which is good. This was done on photoimpression.

The base was from...xandorra
Slina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 06:03
Wow, she's pretty good, too, caliowin! I love how you've got the folds going on her sleeves, and you have some really nice detail. There are some places online you can make .bmp's saved in MSPaint (or pretty much any non-transparent image with a solid-color background) into transparent .gif's, but it's nice you have photoshop. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun figuring out all the things you can do with it.

And I've finally made a Lotr doll... of sorts. Technically, I suppose she's not, but she was directly inspired by Varda. She's not actually Varda, so don't come after me for any inaccuracies or anything, but she's directly inspired, and pretty Lotr-esque, so I'm going ahead and posting her here. (And yes, she's made in PSP... someday I'm seriously going to make a doll in MSPaint just for the sake of doing it, though...)

Base: http://www.xandorra.net/

[Edited on 6/14/2006 by Slina]
caliowin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2006 03:05
Thanks for your comment Slina. That's a lovely LOTR-esque doll. I did Luthien once but I wasn't very happy with the result. The shading on the gown is gorgeous, and i love the glow effect you have got radiating from the star.

Im guessing she's toolshaded. I pixel shade but don't use paint...i suppose i should try it again, some of my earlier dolls were done in paint. I think dollers who can produce amazing things in mspaint are to be greatly admired!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email