Register

Author Topic:
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
Post General Weapon Discussion
on: April 25, 2005 12:26
Welcome all.
Here you may discuss weapons of any sort from LOTR or otherwise. Your Favorite weapon? Why?

My two favorite weapons are:

*Quarterstaff
*Sai
Please tell me yours.

** Mod Note: Thread title edited by Goldsand for clarification

[Edited on 5/9/2005 by Goldsand]
Drysi
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: General Weapon Discussion
on: April 29, 2005 01:18
Welcome all.
Here you may discuss weapons of any sort from LOTR or otherwise. Your Favorite weapon? Why?

My two favorite weapons are:

*Quarterstaff
*Sai
Please tell me yours.
If you don't mind my asking, what is a Sai?
I really like bows, 'cause the Elves use them, I have used one once, umm, I can't think of any other reasons really. I'm just . . . drawn to them, for whatever reason.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2005 04:24
I love the swords that are used...especially Sting. I saw a replica of it in an weapons store and one thing I love was that is was longer then a knife but shorter then a sword. I also love the bows that the elves use. Glimi's axe could come in handy too
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 05:01
Drysi -- a sai is an oriental martial arts weapon. It has a blunt center rod with two little side forks, and was originally used to poke holes in the dirt when farming -- or so my teacher said once upon a time when I was learning 'em. They're used in pairs typically, and are quite handly little things. I think the "Electra" character from that movie not too long ago used them.

Since I'm supposing we're limiting ourselves to middle-earth-ish tech, I guess that means the 1911A1 and M4 are out, hunh?

In that case... a stong heart, a silver tongue, eagle eyes, steady hands, and fleet feet.

Now that said, the long-handled blade the (film) elves use in the prologue and Helm's Deep is a surprisingly agile weapon. They handle as much like a short staff as a sword, and in loose formation make an excellent backup to a good bow.. as close to a polearm as you can fit in a scabbard. So I guess the Galadhrim kit is my vote.
Vlad_Rex
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 05:15
historically, pike regiments dominated the battlefield for hundreds of years--disciplined ranks of those supported by missile troops can slaughter anything. --plus they're SO cool--

I must say the that Uruk-Hai weapons were sometimes crude, perhaps, but undeniably effective, especially movie-wise. The pikes were (are) awesome (though why were they brought to Helm's Deep--it's kinda hard to climb a seige ladder while holding a pike!!!) and crossbows are extremely effective, both in the movie and historically. Their only downsides were their limited range and slow ROF.

Also, Anduril is awesome. Nuff said.
Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 08:49
My favorite sword is the scimitar. I have 4 of them. Two pairs. And I also like bows. I have an English Longbow and my brother makes bows. I'm getting ready to make bows soon.

Carnesir
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 10:27
Vlad -- I'd expect the pikes were brought as insurance against a Rohirric counterattack, either at the Deep or on the march. The Rohirrim were predominantly a cavalry force, after all, and I sure wouldn't want to be riding into a nest of Uruk pikes.

Heck, they might have worked to, if Gandalf hadn't blinded all those pikemen at the last second.

One thing I have wondered though... given Sting's history as a weapon of Gondolin, do you think it was just someone's sidearm originally, or perhaps something akin to an elven gladius? Can't you just imagine an advancing "century" of eldar with little leafblade stings at their hips and funky shaped scutum? (scutii??)

[Edited on 1/5/2005 by Faerfaen]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 05:41
I love swords in general... dunno why. Especially the swords used by elves in the movies, and the ones of elf-make. There's something noble and elegant about a sword..

I also love bows and arrows, of course. Partially because of the elves, but also because of my Native American ancestery ^_^ I also like daggers.

The only weapon I actually own is a sword- its Hadhafang, Arwens sword. I have a Native American spear and a hunting knife, but I dont know if those count.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 02:00
I like swords and the bows and arrows too. Always have. But I collect the lord of the rings swords. I have the Limited Edition Shards of Narsil, Legolas Fighting Knives and just got Anduril for my B-day.
featari_telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 12:17
Mae govannen, mellyn nin!
My favorite LOTR weapon is Aiglos, the spear of Erenion Gil-galad. It is 9 feet long, including a 2 foot curved steel blade used for impaling multiple orcs at a time! Sounds like fun. My other favs are longbows, crossbows, hand crossbows- oh, who am I kidding? EVERY KIND OF BOW KNOWN TO WOMANKIND! I love the feel of pulling the string back, and the hum of it when it snaps back towards you. Broadswords are good too!

Navear,
Featari
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 09:16
my fav by far is a bow (no not becuase legolas shoots one) i have done achery for a long time and i have gone to nationls, it is great fun and i hope more people get in to it. i do fencing with my brother and that is fun to but i'm not as good as he is. my oldest brother does juosting but i am a little afraid to do it maybe oneday............. (btw don't try to shoot a bow of a green horse spooks them) tryed it on my moms new colt!!! though my horse is ok with it she is so lazy.....
angvaethor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 09:30
suilad. the sword will always be an elegant weapon, if you know how to use it. a good friend of mine is a blackbelt and we're trying to find some time for him to teach me. obi-won said it right when he used a blaster pistol: "how uncivilized!". kind of a shame gun powder was invented (by the chinese i believe) but it has served its purpose well. and you can never go wrong with the bow, unless you can't even hit the side of a barn! lol
drogo_baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2005 07:59
i think the bo staff is the best weapon ever. its easily concealed, because nobody ever cares if you carry around a walking stick. i also like shuriken, but i dont have any. probably because theyre illegal in california.
Drysi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 11:56
Drysi -- a sai is an oriental martial arts weapon. It has a blunt center rod with two little side forks, and was originally used to poke holes in the dirt when farming -- or so my teacher said once upon a time when I was learning 'em. They're used in pairs typically, and are quite handly little things. I think the "Electra" character from that movie not too long ago used them.
Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 8/8/2005 by Goldsand]
Baine
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 05:11
Did anyone say dagger? I love these simple, relatively easy to use weapons. East to throw, too. A friend tried to teach me to throw a axe, and i was hopeless. But I'm better with daggers! :disco:

I also like broadswords, although it is a rather uncivilized way of fighting. Fencing is difficult because of the postions you have told; it isn't nearly as elegent as it is in movies! :rolleyes: Yoi have squat while you're fencing. It's a killer on the legs.

Other than that, I've done some archery, but i don't think I could notch an arrow before an orc got me.
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 12:55

Faerfaen,
I think modern weapons can be included as I quite agree with you on the matter of the delightful M4 and the 1911A1.

Happy Hunting

( I also enjoy a good bo staff )
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 12:59

dreamdancer,
I also have native american in my ancestory. Your Spear and Hunting Knife definately count. I also have a Native American spear.
Vistali
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 05:53
I like the Swords used in Lord of the Rings, especielly Sting and Gandalf's sword, Glamdring, I think thats its name. I would love a replica Glamdring, but they are too expensive. I like bows and arrows too though, I want to learn archery one day.
Drysi
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 11:10
Fencing is difficult because of the postions you have told; it isn't nearly as elegent as it is in movies! :rolleyes: Yoi have squat while you're fencing. It's a killer on the legs.
Yeah, I took fencing for half a year, and it's deffinatley good work for the legs!
noldorin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 02:30
i love the medieval pattern broadsword and also the japanese katana.always the sword is the first choise for a gentleman.I also like the winchester rifle and the lee enfield alot.I got a marksmanship second class with the latter at a royal navy base once.only used to the 25 yard range alas.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 05:28
The Elven swords are really easy on the eye and indeed quite nice to use judging by the looks of them, Haldir's sword would be my first choice out of those. but for pure practicality Arragorn's ranger sword
melinyelnarendur
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 11:28
I like the sword that Aragorn uses, I think it's called a longsword, I also like a bow. A dagger would also be a useful tool.

[Edited on 28/9/2005 by melinyelnarendur]
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 07:09
I also like the Japanese Katana and the medival Broadsword.

Thank you all for your wonderful replies! :heart:
RienofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 05:12
This may sound silly but...
Do any of you guys know where you can learn how to do some sword fighting like Legolas in the movies? Just how to do some of the moves and such. By the way what is his style of fighting called? I know it is a combination of several styles.
shirleyboy90
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2005 03:49
The Japanese katana is very similar to Arwen's sword. Her's is recurved a bit, though. But still an awesome sword
BelegCuar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 02:53
Assuming thar rifles and 12. ga. shotguns are out then the only weapons that I have been extensively trained in are bows. Recurve bows are awsome in my opinion, fast, short, smooth to the hand...although longbows have a major vote too. There's nothing like launching an arrow over a football field distance and seeing it land smack bang in the center of the target. I also like bows because you can hunt with them, which makes for some pretty realistic Legolas moves.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 10:22
Umm, I'd have to say the quarterstaff and a slingshot. For some reason I got an urge to learn how to shoot a slingshot, and I've been practicing ever since. It's not your average slingshot, either. It's the kind that has a pocket to put the rock in, and you swing it around really fast and let go. Sort of like David and Goliath.
ChingChuan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 11:21
I really like swords. They are just so nice and long, and if you hold them it feels really great... (Unfortunately my parents don't really like i, so I haven't got any swords )

I like especially katanas, but I wouldn't want to have a katana without knowing how to use it, so as soon as I am 18, I think I'll start taking iaido lessons or something like that.

From the LOTR I think I like Anduril best. Glamdring also looks very nice, but Anduril has just this... something. Those Elven swords that they used at Helmsdeep are also really great. Too bad that all the LOTR swords are really expensive..

I don't really like bows... But that's probably because I can't use them anyway because I've got only one working eye so I can't see much depth and I think that would be very unpractical when shooting with a bow.
robot_alien_elve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 08:53
i prefer ranged weapons so probably a bow or a staff.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2006 06:30
Hi! i really like swords and bows of all kinds. im absalutly useless with both but with practice... my fav swords are longswords cos there really cool weapons eg Anduril, Narsil. i also like claymores. im in the process of making one of those for my cousin out of wood. Me and my bros often have "battles" with wooden swords we've made.

[Edited on 31/8/2006 by wordsmith]
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2006 06:07
I love medieval weapons! My favorites are the sword, dagger, hunting knife, and cross bow.
lanelas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2006 02:19
I love all the Elvish weapons, esp. Hadhafang and Glamdring.
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 09:10
Making claymores sounds like lots of fun. Mabey i'll give it a try.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2007 07:46
heres a discription of claymores from wikipedia. i give full credit to wiki and who ever wrote it.

The two-handed claymore was a large sword used in the Medieval period. It was used in the constant clan warfare and border fights with the English from circa 1300 to 1700.[citation needed] The last known battle in which it is considered to have been used in a significant number is Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689. It was somewhat smaller than other two-handed swords of the era. The two-handed claymore seems to be an offshoot of Early Scottish medieval swords which had developed a distinctive style of a cross-hilt with downsloping arms that ended in spatulate swellings. The spatulate swellings were frequently made in a quatrefoil design.

The average claymore ran about 55 inches (1.4 m) in overall length, with a 13-inch (33 cm) grip, 42-inch (1.07 m) blade, and a weight of approximately 5.5 lb (2.5 kg), the blades are most similar to the type XIIIa, using the Oakeshott typology. Fairly uniform in style, the sword was set with a wheel pommel often capped by a crescent-shaped nut and a guard with straight, down-sloping arms ending in quatrefoils and langets running down the center of the blade from the guard. Another common style of two-handed claymore (though lesser known today) was the "clamshell hilted" claymore. It had a crossguard that consisted of two downward-curving arms and two large, round, concave plates that protected the foregrip. It was so named because the round guards resembled an open clam.
Basket-hilted "claymore"
There seems to be evidence of both the two handed sword and the basket hilt being referred to as “claymore”. For this matter we paraphrase the research of renowned sword historian, Claude Blair. The first instance we see a written usage of this word is after the beginning of the 1715 rising—and coming into much wider use during the ’45. During this time, two handed swords were not used so it had to be referring to the basket-hilt sword. The aforementioned document states that men were armed with rifles, pistols, dirk, targe (shield) and “a sturdy claymore by his side”. There is a later document (July 11th, 1747) describing the Prince’s escape through the Highlands following Culloden that uses the term ‘broadsword’ and ‘claymore’ synonymously. Again, it is obvious that the swords in use at this time are the basket hit variety. This later sword was a much shorter, one-handed sword popular with Scottish troops and some English officers from the 18th century onwards, even seeing limited combat during World War II; a modern "claymore" was carried in World War II by Lt. Col. Jack Churchill DSO, MC & BAR. The basket was designed to protect the hand in combat. The Scottish basket-hilt sword is often distinguished from others by the velvet liner inside the basket (often in red), and also sometimes by additional decorative tassels on the hilt or pommel. This latter form of "claymore" (unrelated to the first) can be seen in some forms of what is now considered highland traditional dance (which correspondingly stems from the Victorian English Aristocracy's preocupation and romanticism of the Highlands of Scotland) as well as on the dress uniforms of British Army regiments drawn from the region.

I tend to think of claymores as the two handed ones, but the basket ones are also pretty cool.
AniMagus
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 07:05
Hello there!
I like bows best, but swords are great too, except that I don't know how to use one...too bad...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email