Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: General Weapon Discussion
on: March 19, 2007 03:32
Thank you for the wonderfully complete description of the claymore, wordsmith.
Lorien~ethel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2007 03:48
I love the sia too! It's fun twirling them around. It's great when worrior and weaopn are one. I also like double broad swords, long swords, and bows.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2007 09:05
hmmm, I don't know if I've been in here before, but anyway...here are my favorite weapons.

-bow
-sword
-spear

sorry to have to get off so fast, I'll be back later!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Fingolfin~of~Beleriand
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2007 01:28
Me, I'd prefer the Longbow, one of the most devastating weapons of the Middle Ages. And with that, I'd have something like Glamdring.
elwoodlover
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2007 06:50
I absolutly love swords of all kinds. I don't mind bows that much but I love swords. I'm actually making one out of wood and going to practice with it. Now other that the reason why..... I'm not sure. I just like how they look. I honestly think that they should destroy all guns and resort back to swords and bow like the time in the midevil age. But thats what I think!!

*Pippin* Mushrooms!!
Fingolfin~of~Beleriand
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2007 02:24
Not a bad idea, but then there would be more deaths in battles, considering that England and most of Europe still make multiple types of good armor.
Idhrenohtar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 12:47
My favorite weapon form LOTR would have to be Strider's Ranger sword. It has a certain style that I just like alot. However a close second would be the Numenorian Longbow of the 1st Age. The smiths made it out of metal somehow and it could go around 300 yards.
*smiles after picturing taking out an orc at 300 yrds*
Lorien~ethel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2007 04:13
I absolutly love swords of all kinds. I don't mind bows that much but I love swords. I'm actually making one out of wood and going to practice with it. Now other that the reason why..... I'm not sure. I just like how they look. I honestly think that they should destroy all guns and resort back to swords and bow like the time in the midevil age. But thats what I think!!

*Pippin* Mushrooms!!

I'm with you! I love swords too :drool: .
allendeonour
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2007 05:53
my two favourite weopons are hadhafung and aiglos
go elves
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2007 01:33
My favorite sword is Hadhafang, but I have shot bow and arrow since 3, so I love Legolas' Lorien bow the most.
Warden_Lord_Taumalen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 08:26
Suilad a mae govannen. I like, mainly long swords or great swords, but bows pull a close second. If I had to equip myself for a battle, I would carry with me a long sword or katana, bow and arrows or shurikens, some sort of knife (probably sai or elven hunting), and a polearm (spear, staff, pike, etc.) A
Nrath
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2007 10:04
I absolutely love bows. I have a nice recurve one that I go pheasant hunting with every now and then.

My brother and I used to fence a lot, so I do like swords, too. A katana would probably be my sword of choice if not a longsword.
Hrothgar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2007 05:35
I love crossbows.They have big range but slow reloading rate.I'm trying to make one.
Also hammers are nice
Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 06:16
Well, with the Walther P99 and 12-gauge shotguns out, I would say that my favourite weapon would have to be the crossbow. It doesn't take as much skill to use properly as a bow does, and it's very hard-hitting. I love rapiers, too. They're just so elegant.
Tari_Tinuviel_91
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2008 05:48
I really like the 2-hand sword, or the 1 1/2 sword... as long as the blade is long- and Bows and Arrows... but the best type of weapon is knowledge ;-P
Iavas87
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2008 10:18
I am rather fond of bows and one-handed swords, but I've not yet had much practice with either. I can see the graceful movements of Taijiquan sword form, which I am just beginning to practice, being similar to elven swordsmanship.

If you'll forgive me for going slightly off-topic, I would like to ask you weapon enthusiasts the following question:

Can broken swords actually be reforged into functional weapons? There are at least two examples of elves reforging swords: Anglachel into Gurthang and Narsil into Andúril. In both cases, the point was to preserve the extant symbolic and physical qualities of a weapon superior to any that could be created at the time. This is why they went through the trouble of reforging broken swords rather than simply making new ones. What I want to know is whether in reality it would be feasible to reforge two pieces of a sword back into a whole without leaving a substantial weakness at the fault line that would cause the sword to once again break at even low stress (such as that caused by the impact with a particularly thick orc skull). I'm intentionally ignoring the variable of the elves' greater skill at weaponcrafting for now.

The above is quoted from this thread of mine at the "Discuss the Books" forum, and I would assume it best to post answers there so as not to derail this thread too much further. I only reposted it here because this thread is, according to cirdaneth, the most likely place to find people knowledgeable in the field of weaponsmithing.

[Edited on 26/3/2008 by Iavas87]
Ven
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2008 03:54
I'm rather fond of Axes.
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2008 12:50
Lavas87
I have never made a large sword like Anduril . I have made large "Bowie"type knives. Could pass for small swords.
I make "damascus" or layered steel with old time traditional tools.
I have incorperated steel into the mix from knives that had not been completed and were rejected for one reason or the other.
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2008 01:13
Lavas87
Sorry I didn't mean to post at that point. but..
I do not believe a sword could be reforged as seen in the Movie. Unless you have Elf Magic.
Since I don't, I would have taken the broken pieces along with some extra steel to replace that steel lost in the forgeing ,grinding,finishing process. Usually around 20 percent.
After forge welding the pieces together, I would draw the mass out and reweld it together again several times. Until I was sure it was now a SOLID bar of steel.
Then I would shape it into a Knife or sword , the same way I would have if I had just started with a solid bar of steel.
I started to say I would be possible but not practical,but It realy would'nt You would have a weaker smaller weapon.
Probably not what everyone wants to hear, but there it is.

Of course If you can find a 2or 3 thousand year old Elf smith he might have a differant answer.
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 04:16
i like bows because i dont think id ever be good with a sword
plus my grandpa is an archer and ive watched him with his bow since i was 5 years old so it was cool. i remember when he quit smoking and he took his last pack of cigarettes and put them into holes he had shot in a target and shot at the cigarettes for target practice
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 11:44
My favourite medieval weapons consist of the bow and arrow, the throwing knife, and the saxe (sea axe) knife
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 04:44
hehe yeah a rangers weapons
same here
Cael
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 03:23
You know, it seems that almost no one likes the battle-axe. That's a shame, because it's quite a nice weapon--at heart, I'm probably a dwarf. I do like daggers, too, though--nice weapons. I probably couldn't actually handle a battle-axe without my arm falling off, but I still think it's a better weapon than any sword, be it katana, rapier of broadsword.
Faervelui
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2009 12:50
I am a knife girl myself. Concealable, lightweight, and they never run out of ammunition.
hodekin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2009 10:30
You know, it seems that almost no one likes the battle-axe. That's a shame, because it's quite a nice weapon--at heart, I'm probably a dwarf. I do like daggers, too, though--nice weapons. I probably couldn't actually handle a battle-axe without my arm falling off, but I still think it's a better weapon than any sword, be it katana, rapier of broadsword.

A double handed Axe can be devastating when it connects with it's target, but it's the 'getting there' that is the problem, in the time it takes to swing an Axe a spear or a sword can get in quick and it's good night Axe man!

The Saxon Huscarls at the battle of Hastings were known for their Axe play, they usually fought in pairs with one keeping up a continuous figure of eight motion cleaving all before it, the second man would have probably been guarding the front mans rear and flanks and eventually taking over when he tired....it can be done, but it's not for beginners!

hodekin
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2009 01:09
I think that a sword and shield would suit me well. Its a great balance of defense and speed. You all won't see me swinging a sword anytime soon though!! The only sword and shield wielding character I can think of is Boromir.

I like the use of Martial Arts as a weapon. Its very vibrant and very entertaining to see it performed.

[Edited on 5/4/2009 by Passepartout]
Annarea
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2009 09:47
Im a quarterstaff/dual dagger/Knife person myself. I like swords and bows well enough but swords are a bit long for my liking. Of bows i like crossbows the most. Perhaps even Tonfas? I like being swift so slow weapons somewhat put me off

[Edited on 3/5/2009 by Annarea]

[Edited on 5/5/2009 by Annarea]
Arkenim
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2009 06:47
I prefer elvish blades, personally. The gentle curve is perfect for quick, light fighting, but I'm too short to buy a standard one, so I'm down to hand-carved wooden ones! I also like the bows pretty well, but there is a point where you've had enough shooting, so then the blade comes out. Elvish knives are pretty cool, and I like the way they are shaped. But they are sword length on little 4'11" me! Anybody else have to adapt their fight for height?
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2009 08:35
I've never handled any weapons before but I'd love to learn kendo. The katana is such an elegant weapon to me.

I don't think anyone brought this up before but I love how insanely long the masamune sword is. (also know as Sephiroth's sword) The blade itself is anywhere from 6-8 feet in length not including the hilt!
I also like the souba which is essentially a double-bladed katana. I couldn't find any references for it, only one guy's speculation on it's origins. I'm not even sure 'souba' is the actual name for. It was used in FF7:Advent Children as Kadaj's sword.

And I know it isn't an actual useable sword but I really love the keyblades from Kingdom Hearts, particularly Oblivion.

I'd also love to learn archery some day. Passepartout, I also like the idea of using martial arts as a means of defence, I'm currently looking into aikido.
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: September 29, 2009 01:36
I'd love to learn archery as well, but I think I would either like a short-ish curved elvish blade, or a quarter-staff (cut down to size) until I am at least 4'5" Maybe when I'm done growing I'll get a nice medium-length sword.

Medieval weapons are fascinating. I don't really know too much about most of them, but anything that was in the books has been studied at great length (as much as possible without being allowed to have one, anyway). Basically, I know in theory how to fight with a sword, shield, knife, or bow, but I probably would be hopeless with any of them if I was actually using it.

I think it would also be cool to learn to joust or use a lance like in tournaments (or medieval times) but the problem there is I have had no opportunity to learn how to ride a horse. Being on horseback with a long weapon would be a good advantage in a fight, though.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2009 12:05
I have sting (not an official sword, but it's ok) and I really really want some official LOTR swords.

I love reading about medieval weapons too arwen1300! And I've read about how to sword fight, ride a horse,..etc..and I really want to learn how to do both, and archery!!!
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 03:38
Bows and Guns of all kinds
Gwallyra_Maethor
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2010 03:09
Medieval:
Ranged - Longbow.
Up close & personal - Battle Axe.

Renaissance:
Ranged - Longbow.
Up close & personal - Sword.

Swashbuckling:
No ranged weaponry, Sword & Dagger combo.

Modern:
Ranged - Barrett M82A1
Close range - M1911A1
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: General Weapon Discussion
on: March 23, 2012 10:20
I must say that I like most any kind of medival weapon especially the dagger and onehanded sword (which I would use with a shield). Although I have one thing to say. . .sword fighting is not all it's cracked up to be.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Minnesota
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: General Weapon Discussion
on: March 26, 2012 12:49
I'm a sword and shield kinda person myself, though I do enjoy archery now and then.
"There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for." Realm of Vána the Ever-young
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email