Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
I have a few not mentioned here yet.
Carolyn Meyer wrote Mary, Bloody Mary, which I read when I was about 12-13. After reading that book I found I had so much compassion for this woman and when I read about the terrible things she did, I didn't just see an evil woman, I saw the wounded, betrayed, rejected daughter who is still screaming for the love she was denied. I have since seen many others, historical and in my life, in this light.

Henryk Sienkiewicz who wrote Quo Vadis, which is probably my favorite novel. This was in some ways the hardest book to read I have ever come accross, but after reading about the persecution that the Roman Christians had to deal with under Nero, I felt so strengthened and encouraged myself and came away with much more confidence that I could infact face torture for following Jesus if called to that someday.

Victor Hugo who wrote Les Miserables, there is a lot in that book, it's SO long. I really appreciated the bishop's demonstration of grace and the effect it had on Jean Valjean. There was also a part where the author discusses the battle of Waterloo from a perspective I had never heard before, he makes a case that it was God who defeated Napoleaon and shows how all the details came together so that it would happen. I had never heard any of that in history classes, that was just a beautiful demonstration of God's sovereignty over human affairs, so encouraging.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
CaptainAragorn
Council Member
Send Message
Orson Scott Card wrote the Ender's Game saga. Those books are so well written, and in a way they make you smarter as you read them because of the raw psychological description and diologue.

I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Authors who have changed the way you think

Issac Asimov
J.R.R. Tolkien
Frank Herbert
Arther C Clarke
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Authors who have changed the way you think:
James Joyce
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Isaac Asimov
Karl Marx
Cicero
John Stuart Mill
... and many others
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Authors who have changed the way you think

None, no Damascus event for any subject that I can recall. Bringing things I was unclear and / or uncertain about into focus, respectively widening my horizons - too many to name.

Especially as regards widening the horizon, more specifically opening up the view on an entirely new and amazing world, a fictional world, then J.R.R. Tolkien stands alone and without peer. For perhaps a handful of other fiction writers I can say that I have enjoyed their works thoroughly, having read practically every book at least twice.

On the non-fiction side bringing into focus and / or widening horizons covers dozens of authors and handfuls of dozens of their books "only" covering natural sciences, social sciences and humanities. In some areas, new research at times came or comes fast and thick, so there are new things to discover every once in a while.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email