Register

Author Topic:
Klifarn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: TR discussion thread --PLEASE READ
on: September 25, 2005 04:10
Some comments on some of the powers...
Shapeshifting: Beorn was a shape shifter, as was his whole line.
Communicating with Animals: All of the Istari had the ability to talk with, and understand, animals. Although none was more versed in this than Radagast the Brown. But there were others with this ability as: Beorn, the Elves of Mirkwood (although they actually only interpreted the actions and moods of the animals), as well as various others to different degrees.
And how many people owns pets that carry on full conversations with them? I do. LOL. Of course I do realize that my pet doesn't respond, except what I imagine him to be thinking.

But all in all, I totally agree with the new guidelines, and especially with the post by berethedhellen. Excellent points of consideration.
whitegoldgoddess15
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 02:34
I have started.. not recently, but not too long ago either.. a thread about Bilbo when he was a child. I know that we're supposed to be speaking all Old English and stuff, but can toddlers speak.. childish and yet still proper? Does that make sense? It is entitled "His Childhood" If there are any faulty points with it, could I know? On the whole, I think it is relatively alright still, but as we have learned from experience.. my thinking isn't exactly guideline thinking... so could you please tell me? Gracias. *Espanol!*
Also, thank you so much!

I <3 CoE!!!
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 05:18
wgg...

We've been reading it and at the moment it seems to be doing alright. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea for you all to read Chapter 7 of Book 1 (In the House of Tom Bomadil) in the LOTR: FOTR. It's only 13 pages but will give you a better sense of who this unusual character of Tolkien's is.

As for the children, try to keep the English ... English, rather than slang.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 05:30
There seems to be a new trend in pretending to follow the forum guidelines; somewhere in the first couple of posts a location from the Map of Middle-earth will be mentioned, and from that point on no further mention of anything related to Tolkien occurs.
We consider these threads to be 'Tolkien mentioned' threads rather than Tolkien Related and we will be dealing with them as we come accross them.
elenwarriorprincess123
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 04:55
How long does it take to get a character approved because I put my charactcer in a few weeks ago I believe and it still hasn't come up. I am sorry to bother I know it's a kind of rude question but I would like to know if I wasn't approved or something.
sorry for the rudeness
Tsini-tia
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 05:35
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by 'approved'? Members create their own characters and put them in the data base titled 'RPG Characters' at the top of the page. Then, any thread you join has the opportunity of seeing the bio of your character and either accepting it as a good match to their thread or not.

The only time the moderators get involved is whether the character is not acceptable in Tolkien's world; for example a robot or a fairy or a witch with a broomstick. I would advise you to read the thread near the top of this forum titled 'TR..New guidelines'. This will tell you whether your character is or is not acceptable in a Tolkien site.

Bereth
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
BunnyBliz
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 08:11
BerethEdhellon:

You told me to, basically, get rid of the Lynx kitten in the RP I was in. Why? Is it because there wouldn't be lynx in Middle Earth? Is it because Lothwing talked to it?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 09:59
There are no known lynxes in the canon of JRRT, for starters. And talking to animals is acceptable as long as the animals do not understand any more than any animal that you know personally and that are certainly not able to respond.

Furthermore, we are trying to rid players of the idea of having animals/pets wandering around Middle Earth with them. There are other fantasy and sci-fi that have such occurrences but it is not one that was common to Middle Earth. As this is a Tolkien site, we ask only that it is maintained as such.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2006 12:23
First of all, I love the site. I have an idea for an rp and wanted to know if it was alright. First we start in a wood, Mirkwood to be exact. There is a male and female elf travelling together. The female is hurt fairly badly. They meet their friend, who is an earlier prince of Mirkwood. Then after the female heals, the prince goes missing and the King wants the the two elves to try and find him. my characters are in the db if you would like to see if they are okay.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 09, 2006 12:54
Elfalas,

I've read you chars in the db and they seem 'reasonable'. Your storyline is also acceptable if it's kept in M-E with no powers or strange non-Tolkien chars.

I already PM'd you and suggest you just go ahead with your thread for the time being.

Once again, welcome to the CoE RPG Forum.
Sirthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2007 01:09
I just wonder one thing... I'm not allowed to bring my horse around ME. Or rather; my char isn't allowed to bring his horse around Middle Earth?? For a horse is a pet/animal...

Horses would be the main way to travel, I don't rank down walking but horses are essential!
Whacked Horsemaster (the latter actual RL title )

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 04, 2007 06:51
Sirthien....

Do I sense a touch of sarcasm in your question? *grinning* Obviously we do not consider horses as something travelers in M-E should do without. They are well written about as a major part of Rohannion society. I think you fully understand the type of 'pets' we are discussing. Who in M-E ever wandered around with a snake around their neck? Who sat next to their campfire chatting with their wolf? Who burdened themselves with two heavy birds on their shoulders?

Now that we're over being silly..........................
Zypher_Kiritha
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 12:59
As proof that I have too much time on my hands, I will now make a post that has little to do with much of this. I'm a person who is rather picky about grammar and spelling, and a lot of the posts have several errors that I think could have been avoided. I know that when one is typing quickly one often makes mistakes, but I always try to correct any I see in my own posts and wish more people did so as well. I do not wish to be rude, but could people here please at least a read through their posts with a little care and attention to detail before hitting that 'post reply' button? I personally know that even though I hate even the smallest mistakes in my own posts, and try to look through them as carefully as possible, I will make mistakes, but I am seeing four or five errors in the mod posts, often more in the member posts, and I am such a perfectionist that it sets my metaphorical teeth on edge.

Please forgive me if this seems rude at all, but I think that is one thing this entire world (especially those in charge of anything, like our COUNTRY) should work on. And as I write this, I promise that I will try not to be hypocritical and have a ton of mistakes in this huge post. Again, I ask that you please forgive this if it seems rude, but as I said I am a perfectionist and am simply offering a suggestion to help make this forum easier to read.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 03:35
I'm a person who is rather picky about grammar and spelling, and a lot of the posts have several errors that I think could have been avoided. I know that when one is typing quickly one often makes mistakes, but I always try to correct any I see in my own posts and wish more people did so as well.

Zypher,

I could have written the above myself as I too find the appalling use (or misuse) of the English language most disturbing. I find when I am ready to post, I hit the 'preview' button first, as seeing what I've written as it will appear on screen many times makes mistakes jump off the page. It is more difficult to see them in the compressed white post page than it is against a larger darker background. Needless to say, there is also the spell check available for all users.

But you are not alone in your feelings. Were we mods to request corrections of every post with mistakes and errors, we would be posting as many times within the storyline as the members who are roleplaying. It is unfortunate that some members are not more careful, however, this is a forum for having fun. We've already placed more rules and guidelines than our members are happy with as it is. Thus, we mods, who must read every post every day, find ourselves overlooking all but the worst, pm'ing the member if it becomes too horrid.

I'm sorry you have found errors in the mods' posts, as we do try to set an example, though I do know that sometimes we are so pushed for time with so much to do that we ourselves are as fallible as anyone. Perhaps your post will nudge our members to take more interest in what they are displaying to the reading public. We can only hope. *smiles*

Thank you for your post,
BerethEdhellen, RPG Moderator
Zypher_Kiritha
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 09:25
Thank you so much for responding kindly. You have no idea how much I was dreading a response. In fact, my hands are shaking so badly I am having to type very slowly. I grew very certain that I was going to be attacked for that... As I said in my post, I know how one can make mistakes when one is typing quickly, and as I know the mods are very busy, I was rather pleased to see so few mistakes in their rather long posts. After all, though many of us wish otherwise, myself included, we are all fallible mortals. Especially as we grow more and more pressured and pressed for time.

[Edited on 7/11/2007 by Zypher_Kiritha]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2007 01:19
On the grammar/spelling things, I'd like to put in a word for those whose mother tongue is not English. In the thread I'm currently posting in, at least three of the posters don't have English as a first language. Personally, I'm dead impressed by this. (Your English puts my French and German to shame, guys! ) I realise of course that this is an English-speaking site, and I'm a horrendous nitpicker myself. But all the same, I think maybe this issue needs to be considered before people get jumped on for grammatical slips - Lord only knows what kind of a hash I'd make of RPing in a foreign language! Just a thought.

Of course, this cuts both ways, considering that the aforementioned posters write better English than some other posters whose monther tongue (as far as I know!) actually *is* English!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 22, 2007 09:23
And sadly, Nel, it is most often our native-speaking Americans who make the greatest mistakes in their posts. I tend to think our foreign-speaking members 'try harder' to be accurate.

We moderators have a fairly good sense of who is who when it comes to 'native-speaking' as opposed to 'foreign-speaking'. And we applaud the efforts of all members (particularly the foreign-speaking members) who actively hit the 'preview' button before actually posting, reading what has been written and making the obvious corrections before they post (most especially using 'spell check').

Unfortunately, not all our members do that and as a result, many posts are full of spelling/grammatical errors, some of which are truly appalling. So my last post stands...we could only wish that everyone took the time to check their content before posting. Reading all the posts every day can often be a grueling experience for the moderators.
Zypher_Kiritha
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2007 04:51
I also realize that many here do not speak English, and I too salute them. I never was saying anything about those who do not speak English as a first language, but I was referring only to those who speak it. Never would I say something negative about those who are still learning the hardest language on Earth to learn as a second or third language. It is those who should know better and are too lazy to check their posts first that disgust me.
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2007 08:50
I love roleplaying and have been doing so for two years now. Having recently joined CoE, I was reading through some articles on Mary-Sues and came to the reluctant conclusion that some of my charries are not as realistic as I had hoped. As much as I want to change them, it’s proving difficult because I’ve had my charries for so long and can’t imagine them any way but the way they are now. Isn’t that sad?
If it isn’t any trouble, I’d greatly appreciate if someone could flip through my charries ( click here ) and determine which ones need changing. I am aware that the histories are painfully short and lack in detail; this I plan on changing once I have the time and inspiration. xD
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 08, 2007 10:35
Maralyn,

I have pm'd you about your question.
elfinthewood
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2008 04:43
Okay, I have two questions.
1) Is my character Tareth okay now? I went and fixed what I saw after reading the guidelines, but I just want to check.

2) The thread I'm planning is going to be a quest to find her family. I discussed this with my friends at school, and they were a bit iffy on the situation and told me to check just in case. No complaints there- always better safe than sorry (pardon my use of cliche).

Thanks for the help!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 04, 2008 07:11
elfinthewood....please refer to your private messages. I've replied to you there.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 06:56
Good evening one and all,

I just wanted to make a very small suggestion. I know this role playing forum has a 'Newbie Pub' for people trying to figure this whole thing out, but it appears to be quite abandoned. It also has over 20 pages and some random posts spanning several years.
So, perhaps, either one of you great leaders of this forum or another veteran could possibly close this pub and start a new one, or a few new ones with different plots to help the newbies. I'm not sure if it will do any good, in a few years the rp may be as it is now again if not sooner, but this just came to my attention and I thought I would suggest a small reform. What better way to explain the rules than by actually role playing and being taught with experience?
Of course I'm not demanding anything, I don't know how hard or time consuming this may be, (I know I do not desire to be in charge of it) and am only suggesting for your consideration. Sorry if I've wasted your time with my silly ideas (^.^).
Anyway, I fare thee well
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 07:54
I would also greatly appreciate it if someone were to do this. I have noticed said thread and was hesitant to add to it due to the fact that it appeared quite dead (mostly). If anyone does decide to undertake this task please PM me and let me know so I can stop by the inn for a spell.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 29, 2008 09:52
Lady Punk,

That's an excellent idea and we will look into it just as soon as we have an extra moment to do so. You are correct of course...it has been there forever and really could use an updating.

You're also right in that we mods have busy real lives and not only do we read every post every day, but we're also in the process of archiving many of the old TT, TR and OOC threads (requiring a great deal of re-reading of old threads...very time consuming). Thus, we tend to leave old threads still alive intact until we have time to address them. But this one definitely should be closed and a newer one opened for all the newbies that are being added daily.

Thanks for picking up on this oversight. We'll take care of it ASAP. Meanwhile, as there are a few newbies who have wandered into the pub, do continue using it to get your feet wet in rpg'ing, as this gives the mods a chance to review your chars and your way of posting so we can pick up on any potential problems before you travel any further in the Forums.
Bereth
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: March 29, 2008 07:27
If someone is needed to start up a new pub or something of the sort, I would be willing to begin it. For my part, I have no other pressing matters (not even in any of my threads). If the mods don't have a problem with it, I can take one less thing off of their hands. But if doing such a thing is overstepping the boundaries, then I apologize. Either way, I think this is a great idea.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 28, 2009 04:29
I've RP'd before(I have three chars in a Narnian RPG),but this is my first try at Tolkien. I already know how to post in charactor,so I don't want to start at the pub,but is there a story set in Rivendell that is lighthearted,that a hobbit could slip into? Here's the bio-

[Edited on 2/5/2009 by Lucy_Took]

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: May 01, 2009 08:06
Sorry I am so long getting back to you but I've been away. In any case, I'd advise you to read this if you want to start your own thread. Also, be sure to read all the rules and guidelines at the top of the forums before you jump in, particularly this one and this one. Also please read and follow the guideline regarding placing a link in your post here. You can begin by correcting your link in your post.

By the way, welcome to CoE and the RPG forums. If you've read all the rules and guidelines, I'm sure you'll find your way around here quite easily.

Enjoy and carry on!

[Edited on 2/5/2009 by BerethEdhellen]
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 01, 2009 08:18
Thanks,I know my char could only fit in a TR(how many female hobbits travel and make friends with elves? It's slightly far-fetched even for a Took),but I've read the rules,and I'm perfectly fine with them(you guys are LENENT compared to the RP I play in. That one is very,VERY,strict about book cannon. If it's not in the book,you can't play it,and NO magic whatsoever is allowed,but I like that...)
I'm not going to start a plot thread right away,I know how to post,but because Narnian time lines are so much differant than Middle Earths,the RP format is differant as far as plots go. What I'm used to is everyone is on the same basic time frame(within a week) and there are differant locations you can be in. It'll take a bit of getting used to with each plot having a thread,and they aren't connected(this isn't a bad thing at all,it's just differant)

Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 30, 2009 05:04
OK,I have a quick question.

Is it alright for a Rohiric woman in TR to be a healer? She doesn't use magic,just some herbs,like they would use in the Middle Ages,nothing to the extent of what the elves could do.

You know,normal doctor stuff,cleaning wounds,easing pain with herbs(drugs),simple cures for some illnesses,ect.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 01, 2009 07:25
almost anyone can know the basics of care (think about all of us today who have taken CPR courses) so I cannot imagine that a village person wouldn't know the basics about herbs and bandaging wounds. So if you're talking about that, no problem.
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2009 09:52
If an Uruk-Hai had a child with an orc could it be possible for the child to be resistant to sunlight? Is it possible for an Uruk-Hai to have a child with an orc?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 05, 2009 05:55
Uruk-hai, in my view, were just a tribe of big strong Orcs, possibly with some captive men intermixed with them, bred to be tougher and less fearful of the sun than your average Orc.
However Orcs bred, the Uruk-hai would likely be just as able to breed with other orcs as a poodle could be bred with a dalmation both being types of dog.
Legolas Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: TR discussion thread --PLEASE READ
on: October 14, 2012 03:22
Hi am a new and thinking about joining the rp. But here are a few things I noticed.

Tolkien actually had characters in his published works that could shape-shift, most notably Sauron. Also, there's were creatures in ME that do not appear much, like werewolves. These are mentioned a few times, but they play little part. Some fans believe that one of Saurons forms, before he lost the ability to shape-shift, was that of a vampire, from this passage: "and he stood, blood dripping down his throat" or something like that.

I am just saying this because it's true, not because I want vampires and werewolves scampering aroun the TR rp. Indeed, they should be kept VERY rare, and I think that vampires should be even left as just a main villain's one form.
The main thing is shape shifting. Sauron could change to a giver of gifts (annatar) a dark lord, a plain person, and possible a vampire.

I think only rarely should characters have this ability, or just villins.

I don't even like stories with vampires... But just saying.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: TR discussion thread --PLEASE READ
on: October 19, 2012 06:20
We would ask RP writers to tread carefully in regards to shape shifters as the only shape shifters that seem to have survived the First Age would appear to be the Beornings.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email