Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
Post Is it actually possible to build a Hobbit hole?
on: August 21, 2005 05:53
Is it actually possible too build a Hobbit hole? I have a small hill against the back of my house, and I wish I knew how to turn it into a little Hobbit Hole Maybe you could use a like wood support frame inside to hold it up? Well, If anyone has any ideas, please help!
~Songbird

[edited for title by Noleme]

[Edited on 23/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
Meltintalle
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Is it actually possible to build a Hobbit hole?
on: August 21, 2005 11:08
Technically, yes. In Pioneer America, we would put a regular door on it and call it a dugout. Not as fancy as Bag-End, but...

I've actually been in a dugout with sod walls. I'm not sure how it was constructed because it actually was under a hill and it had strips of sod for all four walls and a tarp up in the rafters to keep the dirt roof from trickling down on one.

There also might be zoning to think about, depending on how large this hole gets.

Hope this gives you some ideas on how to start building your dream!
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 11:48
Thanks Meltintalle! But one more dumb question....What does zoning mean again? I forget
~Songbird
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 07:46
Zoning means what types of things you can build/have in a particlular area. For instance, someone cannot build a mall in the middle of a subdivision because it is zoned residential, not commercial, and similarly, you cannot, generally, own a horse in the middle of a large city because it is not zoned to allow horses. Hope that helps

[Edited on 22/8/2005 by Timpenin]
Yavannildi and proud!
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 03:58
I dought that zoning laws would be a problem where I live. I live in the middle of nowhere, And people don't even follow the speed limit on our dirt road, but no police ever come to give tickets I'm always worried my old cat yo (He's 14) who likes to lay on the road, may get hit. So I'm doughting there even is big hole laws here. And if there were, they probaly don't care. But I'm not exactly worrying about it. My hole won't be very big, if I can ever make it.
~Songbird
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 07:53
Well, you've got a couple of choices:
You can dig from the top, but a wooden roof on, then cover it up, or
You can dig in, and use a lot of support.

Either way, I would make sure someone knows where you are when you go out to dig, cos if you fall you, you may not be able to get out. We wouldn't want to lose you!
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 10:21
I have a friend who plans to live in a hobbit hole when he's got the money to build it. His plan is to build it from flat ground, making it from concrete tunnels, lined with wood and plaster and painted, of course, and then pile earth (dug out for the foundations etc.) over it and cover it with turf. This, apparently, will give the effect of a hobbit hold tunnelled into a hill, without actually requiring the hollowing out of a hill.

I don't know if it would work, but...

He's even worked out how a round door would work
--- All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
LukasWindAndFire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2005 01:40
oh oh oh!!!

http://www.stormbear.com/bagend2/index.php
LukasWindAndFire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2005 01:42
P.S.

I also plan to live in a hobbit hole of that sort eventually, i already have 17 acres of woodland in NH's great north woods

...and live out the rest of my days as a hobbit yahhh
Deagol112LotR
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2006 10:59
I really want to build a hobbit hole when I move out of my parents house and have a home of my own (i'm only 15). So, hopefully I can get the money
Lamaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2008 03:15
One of my sister's old teachers built a Hobbit house to live in. Sadly I never got to see the inside but from what I remember from seeing the outside (we had to pass it to get home) it looked cool.
Shiranui
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2008 08:20
As far as I know yes, because a few years back at the Minnesota Rennaisance festival, there was a week that was LOTR themed. Some of the areas at the fairgrounds were designed to look like middle earth, and the most popular and themed area was 'Hobbiton,' which pretty much had a perfect replica of Baggend.

But that had been made by profesionals, so how to make a hobbit hole I have no idea.
Aranel_Nimthîriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2009 12:11
Oooh

www.simondale.net/house/

This guy built something very similar to a hobbit house and lives there, im sure it could be adapted to look even more like a hobbit hole if you were so inclined!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email