Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post FOTR Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from FOTR
on: August 27, 2005 03:54
So, with a new section coming up soon *excited whispers* I was looking through all the polls and I thought it might be nice to vote for the Favourite Amongst the Favourite. So, here's the top-10 of FOTR scenes as voted for by you and me in the Sequence by Sequence series.

Take a vote, and explain your choice!
Figwit
Send Message
Post RE: FOTR Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from FOTR
on: August 27, 2005 11:55
1. Galadriel's voice-over from the Prologue
I was really surprised to see that this one got the top vote - almost 7% of all the votes cast in the FOTR SbS series. That's really a lot, especially given the competition in that particular thread (Prologue).
I guess what made such a huge impression is the subtelty in Cate Blanchett's performance here: like I said in that thread, she isn't merely narrating here, she's actually telling you things about Galadriel - about how old she is, what she's afraid of, what she is trying to warn you for...

2. the Battle of the Last Alliance
I didn't like this one very much, but looking back on it I think it makes sense to have this one amongst our favourites. It is a very impressive entry into Middle-earth, and it shows some of PJ's greatest qualities, as well as sporting some of the most wicked special effects in the movie.
And I particularly like the feel of history it radiates.

3. Concerning Hobbits, the alternative opening to the EE
I'm not going to waste my breath on this one: I didn't like it, it felt redundant. I prefer the theatrical opening, here.

4. the Ride to the Ford
Eat your heart out, Arwen-bashers! Okay, this scene is just horses chasing after horses, but still ...

5. night over Lothlórien (Sam's poem, the lament for Gandalf, Boromir talking to Aragorn)
This is one of my favourites, because of two things: the feel of Lothlórien, the feeling that time doesn't move there at all. In the theatrical it looks like perpetual night for a while, but in the extended this scene is giving extra depth through the contrast of gold (during the walk with Haldir) and the divine deep blue here. It is so symbolic for the Elves, with their love for the stars and their longing for the sea.
I especially love Sean Bean's performance here, his talk with Aragorn: it shows what a great actor he is, and gives Boromir some much-needed depth. The look on his face when he takes about Minas Tirith is enough to break my heart.
Also, cinematographically, this is a stunningly beautiful scene.

6. the Gift giving sequence from Lothlórien
I liked this one, but not overly much. I missed the Elfstone, but I did like Gimli's gift a lot. And Cate looks so pretty in this scene... *sighs*

7. Strider scaring the Hell out of Frodo in the Prancing Pony
I loved this one. It took me a while, because it's all so out of character, but right now it's also on top of my list. I still prefer the first glimpse of Strider we get in the Prancing Pony, but this is pretty close.
Goodies: Frodo being tossed around (for a second you think: Aaaaaaah, he's gonna dieeee!), Aragorn's warning (Are you frightened?), Sam to the rescue... Strider is really creepy here, but also weary and well-travelled. Viggo nailed him in this scene, imho.
On the down-side: no Narsil.

8. Strider fights off the wraiths on Amon Sûl
This one's for the fangirls right? But he's soooooo hot here!

9. the Ring revealed by Fire in Bag End
This is an amazing scene, and probably one of the most chilling sequences in the entire movie.

10.Boromir's Last Stand
What can I say? I still cry my eyes out over this one. Sean Bean really worked miracles for my favourite character, and once I got over how different he looks I was able to see just how spot-on Boromir really was in this movie.
The one shot of him, on his knees, bleeding to death with pierced lungs, looking at the hobbits and getting back up - that is just... beautiful.

All in all, this was a very difficult choice, but I went with Boromir's last stand in the end, because of three reasons:
- cinematographically, this was a very complicated scene, and they could have easily messed it up by making it too edgy or taking it too slow, but they didn't: they gave Boromir plenty of time, without loosing the urgency
- Sean Bean is still my favourite actor from the entire trilogy, and Boromir my favourite character
- the image of a man trying to overcome his own flaws and faillure for the sake of others, is at the heart of Tolkien's story: Frodo does the same during his quest for Mount Doom, Aragorn does something similar when he confronts Sauron... It ties in beautifully with what Tolkien wrote about the Fall, Death and the Machine - which I've been thinking about a lot lately.

For those interested, here's the rest op the top-20:
11. Frodo's departure
12. Bilbo's Birthday Party
13. the passing of the Elves (EE)
14. Brave Hobbits vs. Silent Wraiths at Weathertop
15. Gandalf talking to Frodo inside Moria
16. the theatrical version of Frodo meeting Gandalf
17. the unexpected encounter with Merry and Pippin in the cornfield
18. Elrond remembers Isildur
19. Rivendell as a whole
20. Lothlórien as a whole
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 09:18
Well, unlike Figwit, I'm too lazy to discuss all the different scenes on the list and why they worked (or didn't work) for me. So, I'm just going to explain my vote in the poll above. I, too, opted for Boromir's last stand, which is probably my favourite moment from the entire trilogy anyway (or among the Top 5, at least).

Generally speaking, I'm a complete bookish nit-picker when it comes to the LOTR screen adaptations, i.e. I look rather critically at many of the changes from page to screen, and I don't like longish action scenes very much, either. Therefore, the entire crew as well as the actors involved in filming Boromir's death scene do deserve a honourable mention for making me love something which is a) an action-packed climax and b) quite different from the novel.

But actually, the movie made me reconsider Boromir's character in the book. IMHO, Tolkien himself was a bit too ready to write his own creation off as one of the "baddies" for trying to claim the Ring. The movie script, however, showed the potential of this character which had hitherto been hidden from me -- the depth and the inner conflicts. And all this, the temptation, the fall, and the redemption, comes together in the death scene, which is about salvation and forgiveness, thus resonating with one of the spiritual themes of the novel itself.

Moreover, the relationship between Aragorn and Boromir as shown here really reminded me of what I had read about "male bonding" among the soldiers of WW I (in the book mainly represented by Frodo and Sam), adding another important dimension of Tolkien's work to the film while departing slightly from the original scene.

And, above all, it's simply brilliantly made: the cinematography, the lighting, the pacing of the editing, the soundtrack, and especially the performances. Viggo Mortenson and Sean Bean took those dialogue lines that could have been cheesy, and suddenly they sound so incredibly ... moving.

Well, FOTR has also contributed to turning me into a rabid Sean Bean fangirl, but that's actually not the point here. Honestly.

Edited because I'm unable to spell...

[Edited on 29/8/2005 by Aervir]
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 07:18
Aervir, that's precisely why I can't say I hate all the changes PJ made, because he brought things to the fore that would otherwise have gone unnoticed. And Sean Bean was just amazing! The love and detail that went into his performance are just amazing.

That didn't contribute anything, did it?

[Edited on 30/8/2005 by Figwit]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 07:36
Of the choices given here, the only one I can pick is Boromir's last stand as well. Granted, it is something that in the book happens "off stage" - but, it catches the spirit of the story perfectly, much better than many more "bookish" scenes.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 11:17
Concerning Hobbits. like Sons of the Steward, I think this is a great scene for explaining things for people who haven't read the books.
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 05:22
I choose as a favourite Concerning Hobbits. What can I say? Im a lover of hobbits. And I may sound crazy, but I love the first couple hundred pages of them living in and then leaving the Shire. I love exploring their world where everything is simple, and they just simply enjoy each new day, and the little things bring them joy. I think this is why a favourite chapter of mine is The Scouring of the Shire. I love seeing these once quiet hobbits turned fighters taking back their land. :disco:
Figwit
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 12:58
Okay guys, with the new section looming on the horizon, I really need your imput here. Please take a vote, and explain why you chose this particular scene as your favourite!
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 06:14
I picked Stider fighting the Ringwraiths at Amon Sûl. I just think it is an exciting scene, getting to see things and the ringwraiths as Frodo sees them with the ring on.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 11:19
I picked the same as /\ did. It was the first real action/suspense scene in the Trilogy, (besides the prolouge)and helped set the mood for the action to come.
Glamderingslash05
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 05:04
So, with a new section coming up soon *excited whispers* I was looking through all the polls and I thought it might be nice to vote for the Favourite Amongst the Favourite. So, here's the top-10 of FOTR scenes as voted for by you and me in the Sequence by Sequence series.

Take a vote, and explain your choice!

i think borimirs last stand the most important. he protected the hobbits.he also show the power of gondor and that all hope for middlearth!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 02:25
It was a hard choice, but I finally got to Boromir's last stand. The conflict Boromir had (seemed to be too proud to acknowledge a king instead of the idea of him being future steward of Gondor, but still accepted Aragorn's claim, his struggle to get the Ring for the sake of Gondor, but in the end fighting to defend the two younger Hobbits instead of run after Frodo) is I think a major part in the book and a starter for the later story.

Although, I liked Galardriel's prologue, like a good story of a very lovely history teacher. And I also liked Aragorn scaring the hell out of Frodo, although I missed him exclamate that "he is Aragorn, son of Arathorn and heir of Elendil" .
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email